- Text Size +
Leather: Chapter 5:

They entered the hospital’s waiting room and spotted Gibbs leaning against the wall staring into space. He focused on them as they approached, and as he opened his arms, Abby launched herself into them with a sob.

“Any news yet, Jethro?” Ducky asked.

“He’s in surgrey, the bullet was lodged in his shoulder, I think they may be worried about mobility, Duck, but they didn’t tell me anything other than they were taking him to surgery. I’m not sure . . .” Gibbs trailed off as his arms tightened around Abby.

“I’m sorry Gibbs, he was shot protecting me.” Abby sobbed.

“Abs, Tony was shot doing HIS job, and he did what he does best. He protected. He’s not sorry and neither should you be. Besides, once he’s home he’s going to need company and you get the first watch, while I’m at work.” Gibbs told her smuggly. Then he tensed as the doors opened and Director Sheppard walked in.

“Agent Gibbs. How is Agent DiNozzo?” she asked, not realizing that the only thing keeping Gibbs in his spot was the fact that Abby had tightened her hold on him and shifted so that she was between the director and Gibbs. He couldn’t charge without knocking Abby to the floor.

“He’s in surgery,” this came from Ducky, worried about what Gibbs would say if he spoke. Everyone knew that Tony had wanted to abort the mission, Gibbs had been ready to pull the plug as well, but Director Sheppard had insisted they go through with it. And that, along with Tony getting hurt, put the director in danger of Gibbs wrath.

The director looked at Ducky, still oblivious to Gibbs anger, as she let Ducky fill her in on DiNozzo’s condition. “So, there maybe limited mobility after the surgery?”

“Well, yes, but then the doctor’s don’t know young Anthony and how he always goes against the odds.” Ducky told her confidently. “So, I don’t think that there will be any future problems.”

At the director’s nod, Gibbs finally spoke, his arms releasing Abby, and setting her gently aside, “You don’t seemed to concerned Director. I mean, one of your best agents may not be able to return to the field. Doesn’t that bother you, just a little? Or maybe, it bothers you that he isn’t dead.” Gibbs’ voice was quietly menacing.

The director looked at Gibbs, surprise clearly on her face as she spoke, “Really, Agent Gibbs, you honestly think that I am not concerned? Really, I know how you get when one of your team is injured, but you heard Ducky, Agent DiNozzo usually beats the odds, so there shouldn’t be much concern that he won’t be able to return to work in time.” Her voice was cool and unconcerned.

Hearing that tone, nearly sent Gibbs over the edge, he stalked toward her, backing her against the wall, leaning into her personal space as he spoke, “If you ever, order someone, anyone, on my team to continue with a mission, when they, who are in the field, NOT safely at the office, express concern about the safety of continuing with said mission, I will personally see to it that you experience every moment of pain that my people go through, after said mission explodes in their face. Is that clear?”

The director had gone pale at his threat, and taken a deep breath, trying to look unaffected, while trying in vain to gather her thoughts to make a reply. “You cannot threaten me Agent Gibbs, I am the Director of NCIS, I could have your job for this.” it came out weak even to her own ears, but at least she’d gotten the last word. ‘It’s not like is was DiNozzo’s first injury she thought angrily.

“Believe me, if you want my badge, you can have it especially if you ever pull a stunt like this again.” Gibbs told her, then looked pointedly at the doors of the waiting room, indicating that she should leave. Now.

“I’ll give you a progress report as soon as the doctor talks with us,” Ducky, told her quietly, ever the diplomat, while stepping aside to let her pass. And with that the director left the hospital.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX