- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
what if Tony did die from the plague?
‘ He’s dying Ducky’ Kate starts to cry as she exits the holding area and wraps her arms around Ducky.
‘ Like hell he is’ Gibbs said as he walked past and entered the holding area and stood by Tony’s bed. He bends down to Tony’s level.
‘ You are not going to die’ he tells Tony. Tony struggles to talk. Gibbs give him a little hit on the back of the head.
‘ You are not going to die, you hear me’ Gibbs repeats.
‘ Yes…boss’ Tony manages to say.
It’s day 3 and Tony is still at the hospital.
Kate bounds into the bullpen chucking her bag and coat on her desk.
‘ Any news yet?’ she asks McGee as Gibbs is no where in sight.
‘ Not since I’ve been here’ he said looking up at her. She sighed. It was killing her not knowing. Just then Gibbs walked around the corner and into the bullpen. Kate walked towards him and was about to ask him the same question when his phone started ringing. They all froze. Gibbs took a breath.
‘ Special Agent Gibbs’ he answered. Kate walked over to him. She notice his stance change. He stood up straighter. McGee got up from his desk and moved over to stand next to Gibbs.
‘ When’ Gibbs asked in a soft tone. His eyes set on Kate’s. She felt a lump in her throat and her heart rate speed up.
‘ Ok. Thank you’ he said even softer and put the phone down.
‘ Well?’ Kate said looking at Gibbs waiting for him to speak. He looked at her. His eyes filled with sorrow.
‘ I’m so sorry Kate’ he said. Her face changed.
‘ No. He can’t. No. Tony. NO’ she cried. Gibbs stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her. She felt him around her and her legs gave way. She was falling and Gibbs went down with her. He cradled her as she cried into his shirt.
‘ It’s going to be ok’ he said softly then kissed the top of her head. McGee watched on not knowing what to do. He ran his hand through his hair and turned around to go sit at his desk but saw Abby heading this way.
‘ Oh god’ he thought to himself. She stopped at the entrance to the bullpen as she saw a crying Kate in the arms of Gibbs sitting on the floor.
‘ McGee’ she said uneasily. McGee just looked at her. He couldn’t speak. She shook her head.
‘ No. You’re lying’ she said. He stepped forward and put an arm around her and that’s when she started crying.
‘ I’m sorry’ he said softly. She clung to him and cried. He walked her over to his desk and sat her down. The bullpen was filled with Abby and Kate’s cries. Other agents could only look on. The blonde agent that sat behind Kate walk into the bullpen. She looked at Gibbs.
‘ Agent Gibbs’ she said. He looked up at her saw the question in her eyes. He nodded his head and a gasp escaped her mouth. She felt the tears start to run down her face. She really did like Tony even though she didn’t act like it. She left the bullpen and ran to the directors office. She burst through the door and saw him sitting at his desk.
‘ Agent Doust? Have you heard of knocking’ he said dropping the file he was reading.
‘ I’m sorry sir but its Agent DiNozzo. He died sir’ she said and more tears streaked down her face. Director Morrow didn’t say anything, he got up from his desk and ran from his office. He bounded down the stairs and straight to the bullpen. He stopped at he sight he saw.
‘ Gibbs. Is it true?’ he asked stepping forward.
‘ Yes sir’ Gibbs said. Director Morrow looked down at Kate who was clutching Gibbs’ shirt and still crying. Gibbs had started to rock her gently to try and settle her down.
‘ You guys can have the rest of the day off’ the Director said as he left.
The next person to arrive in the bullpen was Ducky. He to was shocked at what he saw.
‘ McGee what’s happened?’ he asked. The young agent looked up at the old mans pained expression.
‘ It’s Tony’ was all he said. Ducky’s eyes travelled to a weeping Abby.
‘ Oh my dear I’m so sorry’ he said holding out his hands and she got up and went over to him.
‘ Duck take her back to the lab’ came Gibbs’ voice. Ducky didn’t say anything he turned and lead Abby back to her lab. McGee stood there not knowing what to say.
Gibbs looked down at Kate who had stopped crying.
‘ McGee’ he said and the young agent came round and helped him lift Kate up off the floor. He walked her over to his desk and sat her down on his chair. McGee pulled over Kate’s chair for Gibbs to sit on.
‘ I’m sorry its just…’ she tried to say but was overwhelmed by tears again.
‘ I know, its ok’ Gibbs said and kissed her forehead.
‘ I’ll go get you some water’ Gibbs got up to leave but was stopped by Kate’s hand and plea.
‘ No don’t leave me Gibbs. I cant loose you to’ she said. He sat back down and put an arm around her.
‘ I’m not going anywhere’ he said. He motioned McGee to go get some water. He made his way to the tea room and was met by lots of apologizes and sympathies along the way.
He returned with a cup of water. He handed it to Kate and she gave him a soft smile.
‘ I might go check on Abby’ he said. Gibbs gave him a nod and he left.
‘ I’m sorry Gibbs. I’m going to miss him so much’ she said when McGee left.
‘ I know. We all will’ Gibbs said hugging her tighter.
‘ He was like my 4th brother. I know we fought but I…I loved him’ she said starting to cry again. Gibbs held her again and kissed her head. She pulled away and looked up at him.
‘ I love you Gibbs. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you to’ she said then rested her head back on his chest.
‘ I love you to’ he said softly into her head. He started to rock gently and before he knew it she was asleep. He slowly got up kicked the chair out of the way, picked her up and placed her on the floor gently. He took his jacket off, rolled it up and made a pillow for her. He kissed her cheek and decided to go check on the others.
He walked into Abby’s lab to find then around her desk. There was no tears just soft laughter.
‘ Do you remember when Tony and Kate dressed up as a couple. She took pictures of him being “gangster”. It had us in hysterics for weeks’ Abby said with a laugh then a sniffle.
‘ Are you guys ok?’ Gibbs ass as he heads over to them.
‘ We will be’ McGee says with a nod.
‘ How’s Kate?’ Ducky asks.
‘ She’s asleep. She’s taken it very hard’
‘ They were like brother and sister’ Abby says.
Kate opened her eyes and saw the legs of Gibbs’ desk. She sat up and looked around her. She had been sleeping on the floor of Gibbs’ desk and using his jacket as a pillow. She stood up and unravelled his jacket and hung it on the back of his chair.
She walked over to her desk and picked up her phone. She froze as she looked over at Tony’s empty desk. She as she remembered him sitting there typing away on his computer or throwing paper balls at McGee. She was brought back by someone calling her name.
‘ Kate?’ came a voice behind her. She turned around to see the familiar blonde face.
‘ Oh Victoria I didn’t see you there’ she said with a soft smile.
‘ That’s ok. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. Tony was a great guy’ Victoria said sympathetically.
‘ Thank you. Yeah he was wasn’t he’ she gave a little laugh.
‘ You know between chasing me around the office, we did have a good talk. He always used to talk about you and how he loved to annoy you but always felt bad about it. He told me that he loved you like the sister he never had but always wanted and I think in this situation he would of wanted me to tell you’ Victoria said. Kate looked at her not knowing what to say. She gave her a soft smile.
‘ Thank you. That means a lot to me’ she gave another smile and Victoria returned it and walked back to her desk.
Kate smiled to herself and decided to go find the others.
Kate entered Abby’s lab and saw everyone seated around Abby’s desk. She walked over and stood next to Gibbs.
‘ Hey how you feeling?’ Gibbs asked.
‘ Ok I guess’ she said trying to muster a smile. Abby got up from her chair and threw her arms around Kate.
‘ I’m so sorry Kate’ she said.
‘ I know. Its ok Abs’ Kate said as she hugged her back.
‘ I’m going to miss him so much’ Abby told her.
‘ So am I Abs, so am I’ Kate said hugging her tighter. They let go of each other and shared a soft smile. Kate looked at the rest and they were looking at them, sympathy in all their eyes. Kate took a deep breath before she spoke.
‘ Has the director told Tony’s parents?’ she asked no one in particular.
‘ The hospital rang them earlier. Director Morrow was going to ring them on behalf us NCIS and us’ Gibbs told her. She nodded her head and didn’t say anything. Gibbs put his arm around Kate’s shoulders.
‘ The director has given us the day off. I think we could all us it’ he said. They all got up and hugged each other. Kate, Gibbs and McGee made their way upstairs while Abby and Ducky stayed back for a little while.
They entered the quiet bullpen. McGee grabbed his stuff, said goodbye and left. The sooner he was out of there the better. Kate stands at her desk. She cant take her eyes of Tony’s desk.
‘ Are you alright?” Gibbs asks standing in front of her desk and looking at her.
‘ I cant go home Gibbs. He is everywhere there’ she said looking at him.
‘ What do you mean?’ he asked confused.
‘ His pillows are still at my house from when he stayed over, my birthday present he gave me. I just cant go home. Not yet’ she said with tears filling her eyes.
‘ Ok you can stay at mine’ he said. She looked shocked at his proposal.
‘ Kate you need a shoulder to lean and I think mine seems to be the right one’ he said. She nodded her head and grabbed her stuff. They walked out together. She went to head for her car but Gibbs stopped her.
‘ Your in no state to drive’ he said.
‘ But I don’t have any clothes’ she said.
‘ I’ll go to your place and pack you a bag ok’ he suggested. She nodded and went to his car.
They arrived at his place and he helped her out of the car and was being a real gentle man. He showed her to the spare bedroom. She threw the big bag that Gibbs had packed her on the bed and sighed. Gibbs came up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. She closed her eyes and leaned back into him. She didn’t know she had more tears left in her but she let them fall. Gibbs didn’t know what to do, so he did the only thing he knew when it came to comforting a crying woman. He wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his head on hers.
‘ It’s ok. You’ll be ok Katie’ he whispers into her ear. He didn’t know if his words meant anything to her but it felt like he was saying the right things. He felt her body stop shaking and could hear her breathing slow down. She gently places her hands on top of his. She turns her head to look at him. He looks down at her tear streaked face.
‘ Don’t leave me Gibbs’ she said softly.
‘ I will never leave you’
‘ Promise?’
‘ I promise’ he said meaning every word. She gave a soft smile and before he knew it her lips where on his. He didn’t want to pull away but before he could Kate had stopped kissing him. She got out of his grip and walked to the side of the bed.
‘ I’m sorry Gibbs. I think I should go to bed’ she said quickly. He nodded his head and turned for the door. He stopped in the doorway and looked at her.
‘ Kate’. Her head shot up and she looked at him.
‘ Never say your sorry’ he said with a little smile and shut the door behind him.
2 weeks later and it is finally time for Tony’s funeral.
Kate ran around the house trying to find her shoes. Gibbs on the other hand stood in the mirror doing up his tie.
Since Tony’s death Kate hasn’t been home. Gibbs goes to her place to get the mail and some more clothes when needed, She has been living with him all this time and although they have both admitted they love each other they haven’t done anything about it. They haven’t even talked about it but somehow they just operated like the perfect couple.
Gibbs grabbed the keys off the table when he was done.
‘ Come on Kate, we’re going to be late’ he called out. She grabbed her jacket off her bed and ran out to meet him.
They arrived at the ceremony just as everyone was being seated. They found the rest of the team in the second row with two spare seats for them.
Kate sat down next to Abby and Gibbs next to Kate on the end of the row.
The ceremony started with a pray and everyone held hands, Gibbs’ in Kate’s, Kate’s in Abby’s, Abby’s in Ducky’s and Ducky’s in McGee’s.
The first person to speak was Tony’s boss from Baltimore. The next to speak was Gibbs. He squeezed Kate’s hand before he went up. He looked out at all the people who where here to mourn the death of Tony. He looked towards Kate and the rest of the team and they gave him a small smile and a nod. He cleared his throat then began to talk.
‘ Hello, I am Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Anthony DiNozzo has worked for me for 3 years. I hired Tony for his knowledge, experience and strength but also his personality. He was not only a great agent but a great person. He was not always focused but he got the job done. He was not only part of a team but a family. He knew how to cheer us up when things were tough and he was there to help when we needed it. I am sorry for what has happened. Not only the agency but he world has lost a great man.’ With that Gibbs gave his parents a sympathetic look and stood down and made his way back to his seat. When he sat down Kate grabbed his hand. She gave him a soft smile then took a deep breath as she heard her name get called. She let out the breath she had been holding in before she spoke.
‘ Hello, I’m Special Agent Kate Todd. Tony was my partner for 2 years. I first met Tony on Air Force One while I was with the Secret Service and although I was in a different agency he was still friendly. During the past 2 years Tony and I have gotten to know each other. He was like my brother.’ Kate took another deep breath to try to control herself.
‘ I trusted him with my life, he always had my back and I always had his. I remember all the times we used to argue and I remember all the times he made me laugh. He always knew how to make me laugh. He was a good man, a good agent, a good partner and an even better friend.’ She looked down to try and stop the tears from coming but it didn’t help. She looked up and everyone could see the tears running down her face.
‘ I would like to end with my deepest sympathies to Mr and Mrs DiNozzo. You raised a brilliant man and I am honoured to have known and worked with him.’ She said as she wiped a tear that ran down her face. She then headed back to her seat and was met by a hug from Abby who had also shed some tears during her speech. She let go of Abby and Gibbs put an arm around her shoulders and she leaned her head on his shoulder. He leaned down and kissed her head.
‘ That was beautiful’ he said softly. They all sat back and watched the rest of the ceremony. At the end they all lined up to pay their final respects with a rose on his casket before it was lowered. Kate was he last person to say her goodbyes because she would take the longest, besides his parents.
When she was done Gibbs took her by her arm and lead her towards the car. She stopped when she saw his parents.
‘ I’ll be back in a minute’ she said softly. She slowly made her way over to Tony’s parents.
‘ Hello Mr and Mrs DiNozzo. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for what happened. He was…he was one of the nicest, sweetest, funniest guys I have ever met.’ She said with a soft smile.
‘ Thank you’ his mother said returning her smile. Kate walked back over to the car and got in. The drive home was quiet as Gibbs didn’t know what to say to her. When they arrived home Kate entered and sat down on the lounge. She didn’t say anything, she just sat there. Gibbs went to his bedroom and took his shoes, jacket and tie off. Gibbs came out and saw Kate bent over with her head in her hands. Gibbs walked over to her and sat down next to her. He put and arm around her. She lifted her head to meet his gaze and to his surprise there were no more tears.
‘ I’m fine. Its just…well its real now. There’s no chance of him coming back to us’ she explained her thoughts to Gibbs. He nodded as he understood what she was saying and in a way he kind of felt the same.
‘ Did you want anything to eat?’ he asked her looking at the time. She shook her head.
‘ I think I just need to go to bed. Its been a long day’ she said straightening up.
‘ Its been a long couple of weeks’ Gibbs put in. Kate gave him a smile and got up off the lounge, put a hand on his shoulder on her past to her bedroom. Gibbs watches her as she walks down the hall and closes the door behind her. He sighed and decided to hit the hay as well.
He made sure everything was locked and turned off before he went to bed. He got in under the covers and was about to close his eyes when he heard a soft voice.
‘ Gibbs’ Kate says softly standing in the doorway of his bedroom. He sat up in bed.
‘ Is everything alright?’ he asked.
‘ I was wondering if I could sleep with you tonight’ she said softly and taking a step further into his room. Gibbs shifted uneasily in his bed. He didn’t know if he could say no.
‘ I just don’t want to be alone tonight’ she explained herself.
‘ Sure’ Gibbs said. Kate smiled and walked over to the empty side of the bed. She pulled back the blanket and slid in under them. She laid down on her back just looking up at the ceiling. She heard Gibbs sigh and slid under to covers to. She turned her head to look at him.
‘ I’m sorry Gibbs’
‘ For what?’ he asked looking back at her.
‘ For all of this. I would never of thought it would affect me like this’
‘ You don’t have to be sorry’ he said gruffly. Kate smiled softly at him. She didn’t know if he could see it but it made her feel better. They lay there in silence just taking in the moment. She doesn’t know why she did it, it just felt right. She moved closer to Gibbs, put and arm over his stomach and laid her head on his chest. Gibbs looks down at the beautiful women that has closed the gap between them. He can feel his heart rate increase. He runs a hand over her hair. She looks up at him. He can see her eyes glisten in the moon light that streams in from the window. He doesn’t know what made him do it but he did it. He leaned down and kissed her. To his surprise she was kissing him back. She stopped kissing him and looked at him.
‘ I really do love you Gibbs’ she said.
‘ I love you to Katie’ he told her. She smiled and gave him another kiss before taking her place on his chest again. He let out the breath he was still holding. He was happy to get that off his chest. He knew everything would be different and although they have just had to deal with one of the toughest times in the past 2 years he had a feeling it was going to get better.