- Text Size +
Jethro Gibbs was staring out the window of the small waiting room in the Intensive Care Unit, giving Tony the few minutes of privacy that the young man seemed to so desperately crave. He was also taking this time to calm the raging sea of anger that was churning inside of him. His wrath was not only directed at Secretary Davenport, but towards himself as well. Gibbs couldn’t help but wonder what he could have to done to prevent this nightmare from occurring. If only he had known what was happening to DiNozzo, maybe he could have stepped in and helped alleviate some of his son’s burden.

He truly had no idea what DiNozzo would do. His back was against the wall and Tony’s usual instinct was to come out fighting, but with the jobs of the team at stake, he knew his senior agent well enough to know that he would not revert to his usual tactics. Tony would never be able to live with himself if his actions ended up hurting those he cared about. The younger man carried his guilt for a long time; not many people were aware that Tony was still bearing the scars from having to hurt Jeanne Benoit..

The sound of two people arguing brought Gibbs out of his self imposed reverie. He stepped out into the corridor to discover a nurse having a heated discussion with a familiar looking man. Gibbs studied the older gentleman for a moment; with the exception of the salt and pepper hair, he was looking at the spitting image of his senior field agent. He knew that the man trying to bully the young nurse was none other than Tony’s father.

In three strides, he was standing beside Tony’s father, intentionally interrupting the conversation taking place between the older man and the young lady. Gibbs recalled that she had introduced herself as Rachel when she had come on duty. “Is there a problem here?” he asked the nurse.

He could see the relief quickly spread across her youthful features. “I was just trying to explain to this gentleman that Agent DiNozzo’s visits have been restricted by the physician and that he would have to speak with Dr. Marshall before I could grant him access to see Agent DiNozzo,” she explained.

Gibbs turned to face Tony’s father. He had often wondered what he would do if came face to face with the man who had caused DiNozzo so much pain in his life. His first instinct was to simply pommel the man, but that would solve nothing and only create more problems for Tony. “You heard the lady,” he said. “You’re going to have to wait to see Tony; it’s been over twenty years since you’ve seen him, I don’t think a few more days will hurt anything, Mr. DiNozzo.”

“So, you know who I am,” the elder DiNozzo stated.

“I know who you are and I’m sure you know who I am, especially since you’re so cozy with the Secretary of the Navy,” Gibbs taunted.

“Vincent DiNozzo. Actually, my given name is Vincentio, but my associates call me Vincent.”

“I’m not your associate, Mr. DiNozzo.”

Vincent smiled. “Do you know what my name means, Agent Gibbs?”

“Yes I do.”

“Good. Then you know that I always get what I want.”

“Your name means conqueror, victor,” Gibbs continued, nonplussed. “But it really doesn’t matter a whole hell of a lot to me what your name means, because you won’t be conquering anybody here.”

“I don’t know about that. I wield a lot of power.”

“Not as far as Tony’s concerned.”

“Especially where Anthony is concerned. I am his father after all.”

The former Marine clenched his fist, struggling to keep control of his temper. “Only in name,” he growled. “You don’t have the right to claim Tony as your son. Did you forget that you’ve disowned him?”

“No, I didn’t forget. He got what he deserved. Nothing.”

Gibbs’ eyes narrowed, his steely gaze intently studying the man before him. Vincent DiNozzo was truly a bastard. His arrogance would be his undoing; he would make sure of that. “Why are you here? Hoping to see a corpse?” he challenged.

“No,” Vincent replied. “I would know if my son were dead. Believe it or not, Agent Gibbs, I’ve followed Anthony’s career with a watchful eye. I know all of his successes and his many failures. I always figured that Anthony’s recklessness would eventually lead to his demise, but my son has always insisted on doing things the hard way.”

“So you figured out a way to get rid of him,” the team leader deduced.

Vincent’s eyes widened in astonishment; it was obvious that the senior DiNozzo was not used to his authority being challenged. “You’re well informed Agent Gibbs; but you’ll never be able to do anything about it. I’m untouchable, unlike my son.”

Gibbs took a step closer to the ruthless man. “Care to explain what you mean by that comment?”

“I think you know what I mean, Agent Gibbs. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some unfinished business to discuss with my son.”

He grabbed the older man by the arm, his grip was firm and unrelenting. “You put a contract on Tony’s life and you think I’m going to let you anywhere near him? Wishful thinking, Mr. DiNozzo.”

“Do you actually intend on stopping me?” Vincent challenged, jerking his arm free.

“Damn straight.”

DiNozzo Sr. pulled out his cell phone and quickly place a call. Within a few seconds, he was handing his phone to Gibbs. “It’s for you, Agent Gibbs.”

The team leader stared at him, his eyes silently questioning the other man’s motives. Taking the phone, he answered, “Gibbs.”

“Agent Gibbs. Has Agent DiNozzo accepted my offer?”

Gibbs clenched his jaw, knowing that he was further exacerbating the pounding in his skull. “Secretary Davenport.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” the SecNav pointed out.

“He’s still mulling it over,” Gibbs managed to reply.

“Well, I suggest that you encourage him to accept my more than generous offer. It’s the only way that everyone will be satisfied.”

“Except Tony,” he snapped.

“Knowing that he saved your career as well as the careers of his friends will help ease his conscience.”

“What about your conscience?”

A brief pause ensued, making Gibbs wonder if Davenport was actually considering his question. “Secretary Davenport? Are you still there?”

“I’m here, Agent Gibbs.”

“You haven’t answered my question.”

“And I don’t intend to,” the SecNav said. There was no doubt in Gibbs’ mind that he had struck a nerve; Davenport’s voice dripped with a forced politeness as he proceeded to inform the team leader of his latest orders. “You are to allow Mr. DiNozzo to see his son,” SecNav began. “I promised Vincent that he could see Tony; he has some things he wants to say to his son.”

“I’m sure he does,” Gibbs snarled. “Too bad he’s not going to get the chance.”

“Yes, he will.”

“Tony’s got too much to deal with right now. He doesn’t need this.”

“It’s an order, Agent Gibbs. You do remember what those are, don’t you?” Davenport taunted.

“I remember what they are, but this is one I’m not going to follow!” Gibbs snapped the phone shut and handed it back to Vincent DiNozzo. “Leave. Now,” he demanded.

“Not until I see Anthony.”

Gibbs shook his head. “Hell hasn’t frozen over yet. Now if you don’t leave, I’ll…”

Alarms began blaring at the nurse’s station. The team leader glared at Tony’s father, “Stay here!” he ordered.

Gibbs followed the nurse into Tony’s room to discover that he was attempting to sit up, cursing at the shrill sound of the monitors as they continued to wail. He grabbed Tony by the shoulders and gently forced him to lie back down “What the hell do you think you’re doing, DiNozzo?”

Tony winced, gasping in pain. “He’s here…isn’t he? My father’s...here. I heard his voice.”

“Yeah,” Gibbs admitted. “But I’m not going to let him anywhere near you. You have my word on that.”

“Why’s he here?”

“It doesn’t matter. You need to calm down, Tony,” the team leader insisted. “If you don’t want them to sedate your ass, you’re going to have calm down.”

Gibbs watched as Tony struggled to slow his breathing down, forcing himself to relax. Rachel stood over DiNozzo, intently studying the monitor to make sure that his vitals were stabilizing. He figured that she would be contacting Dr. Marshall and that Katherine would order a stronger sedative for Tony, which would not make his senior agent very happy.

“You all right?” Gibbs asked.

Tony nodded. “I’m okay, Boss.”

“Good. Now, what the hell were you doing?’

“Going to tell you…to send him…in.”

“I don’t think so.”

“It’s okay.”

“Tony, he…”

“Please Gibbs,” Tony pleaded. “Just let me get it over with. My father usually…gets…what he wants.”

Gibbs shook his head. “Not this time, Tony. Not this time.”

“You don’t…know…him… and…what he’s capable of. Please, you can stay…I just need…to do this.”

“No you don’t,” the ex-Marine repeated, his tone harsher than he intended.

“Tired of people making…decisions for me,” Tony seethed. “I have to do this.”

The younger man’s words tore at his heart. It was his decision, but Gibbs wasn’t convinced that Tony was stable enough, physically or mentally to confront his father; but the team leader knew that he could not deny DiNozzo the right to make up his own mind. Ever since he had returned from being Agent Afloat, Tony’s life had literally been controlled by Vance and SecNav; it was past time that his senior agent felt as if he had a modicum of control of his life. Against his better judgment, Gibbs reluctantly consented to Tony’s request.

“All right, but I’m staying right here. If I think it becomes too much, I’ll put a stop to it,” Gibbs warned.

Satisfied that Tony was agreeable to his terms, he glanced up at the nurse, who was grim expression clearly indicated that she was not happy with what had just occurred. “I’ll make sure that he stays calm,” the team leader attempted to reassure her.

“He is in ICU for a reason,” Rachel said. “A reason that you seem to have forgotten. He doesn’t need the added stress that you seem to be inflicting upon him.”

“It’s not him,” Tony insisted.

Gibbs smiled. Leave it to DiNozzo to come to his defense.

“It doesn’t matter who it is, the fact remain that…”

“The fact remains that you can leave us…alone or I’ll sign…myself out…of here AMA,” Tony rasped.

“I’m going to call Dr. Marshall,” she informed them.

The two agents watched as the nurse left Tony’s room in a huff. “Guess we pissed another one off, huh, Boss?” Tony tiredly quipped.

“Looks that way, DiNozzo.” Gibbs placed his hand on Tony’s shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze. “Are you sure about this?”

“No, but before I give Davenport an answer, I need to know something…that only my…dad can tell me.”

“All right.”

Gibbs walked over to the door and motioned for the senior DiNozzo to join him. Intentionally blocking the other man’s path, the ex sniper leaned forward and whispered, “You do or say anything to upset him, you’ll be the one needing the services of a doctor. Do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal,” Vincent answered.

“As long as we understand each other.”

Stepping aside, he allowed the elder man to enter Tony’s room. Gibbs could immediately sense the tension radiating from his senior agent. Maybe this hadn’t been such a good idea; maybe he should have insisted that Tony wait. He leaned up against the wall, making sure that he could keep a watchful eye not only on Vincent, but on Tony as well.

He watched as Vincent laid his coat across the foot of Tony’s bed. “Anthony,” his father began, “it’s been a long time.”

“Not long…enough,” Tony retorted.

“Ah yes, that quick wit of yours. I haven’t missed it.”

“I guess we’re even. I haven’t missed you.”

“The feeling is mutual.”

Gibbs felt the knot in his stomach tightening as doubts continued to creep into his mind. This confrontation was too much for Tony; it was too soon. He could see Tony struggling to maintain his composure in the presence of his father. It was evident that Vincent DiNozzo thrived on intimidation and that he was used to getting what he wanted. Gibbs wondered how many times Tony had been forced to give into his father’s demands because of the man’s cruel and demanding tactics; how many times had the young man sacrificed his happiness in hopes of earning his father’s love and respect?

“What are you…doing here?” Tony pressed.

Vincent smiled at his son. “I heard you were ill and i…”

“Cut the crap,” Tony grunted. “I had the freakin’ plague a few years ago and you didn’t come then. What makes you think…that I would be stupid enough to believe that you’re…actually concerned about my well being?”

Gibbs heard Tony’s breath hitch as he tried to shift into a more comfortable position. He started to move forward to help the agent, but DiNozzo’s slight shake of his head, told him that his assistance would not be welcome. One of these days, he was going to have to convince Tony that there was nothing wrong with accepting help from your friends; of course, DiNozzo would probably point out that he needed to learn that lesson as well.

“Maybe I’ve changed,” the senior DiNozzo tried to reason.

“Yeah, right. And maybe…I’ve…become…celibate,” Tony shot back.

The team leader didn’t bother to hide his grin at Tony’s remark. Maybe letting him confront his father hadn’t been a mistake after all; his senior agent was holding his own against his father.

“So, what is it…you want from me?” the dark haired agent asked once again.

“You were so much easier to get along with when you were being medicated. Tell me, does Agent Gibbs know your psychiatric history? You must have kept it hidden from him so you could get on with NCIS,” Vincent deduced.

“What do you want?” Tony asked once again, the younger agent’s patience was starting to wane.

Without seeking Tony’s approval this time, Gibbs placed himself between Tony and his father. He glared at the older man, sending him a silent reminder of the threat that he had made earlier.

“I’ve been in contact with Secretary Davenport and he has filled me in on the latest developments,” Vincent began to explain. “I know that he has extended to you an offer…”

“What’s your point?” the young man wanted to know.

Vincent squared his shoulders and stood tall. “Unfortunately, Secretary Davenport omitted a very important part of the deal.”

“And that is?”

The ex-Marine continued to stare at Tony’s father, impatiently waiting for Vincent DiNozzo to answer the agent’s question. Gibbs met Vincent’s icy gaze, taking great pleasure that his presence was obviously unnerving DiNozzo’s father. “I think he asked you a question, Mr. DiNozzo,” he said.

“Indeed he did,” Vincent remarked. “I need to talk to with my son. Alone.”

“Not going to happen,” Gibbs declared.

“This is personal family business.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’m not leaving you alone with him.”

Gibbs refused to back down from the arrogant man. He thought back to the boy on the beach; he couldn’t help Tony all those years ago, but he would stand by him now. Vincent DiNozzo would not hurt his agent, his son, ever again.

“Very well,” Vincent conceded as he turned his attention back to Tony. “You asked me what I was doing here, Anthony. The answer is simple. I want something and I’m prepared to do anything necessary to get it.”

“I’m waiting,” Tony whispered.

The team leader remained guarded as Tony’s father crossed his arms and stared at his ailing son. Gibbs didn’t miss the evil glint in Vincent’s eye when he said, “I think you’ll be very surprised at what I’m going to say…”
Chapter End Notes:
The mysterious visitor is revealed! Of course, many of you have a good idea who it is. I hope you enjoy the post!