- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Late seems the theme recently. Sorry folks. A bit of a slow chapter, some establishing for later events.
Around noon Tony receives an email from Abby that contains a single declarative sentence, “My boys are taking me to lunch today.”
Gibbs’ phone rings a few minutes later and Tony assumes he is receiving the same demand. “Really? When did I agree to that?”
Tony smiles to hear Gibbs playing with Abby and distractedly opens the next email without reading the subject line.
“Your reservation details for Mark’s bachelor party. I booked you a queen just in case. Baltimore is closer than DC to New York. You could make it a stepping stone in your trip. Just think about it. It’s a nice hotel.
“Call me if there’s a problem, Luke.”
“When are you going to New York?” McGee asks startling Tony.
As it’s easier to just answer Tony rolls his eyes, “I’m attending a fundraiser for a women’s shelter affiliated with the church my family attends the weekend before Thanksgiving.”
“Are you taking your secret sweetheart to this fundraiser?” Ziva asks without even looking at them.
“I have an escort for the ball, yes.”
Ziva looks up with a wicked gleam in her eyes, “That is a sight I would pay hand over fish to see.”
“Hand over fist, not fish. And you won’t be seeing it.”
“Why would one put a hand over a fist?”
“Why would you put a hand over a fish?”
“So you’re admitting you’re seeing someone now?” McGee interrupts.
“I did no such thing. I said I wouldn’t be unescorted at the charity ball. Take from that what you will.” He gets up, “I’m out to lunch Boss.”
Gibbs nods, unconcerned.
As Tony arrives at his car as Abby enters the bullpen, “No excuses Pop, let’s go. You said yourself you owe me.”
“Just a minute sweetheart,” He closes the file he’s been working on and takes her arm. “You two go to lunch too.”
McGee watches the elevator doors close before turning his attention to Ziva, “You know something.”
Ziva hesitates, then true to her word doesn’t mention what she knows, “I suspect something.”
“Well? Why won’t he tell us about her?”
“His objections to our suppositions have all been rather specific,” She leaves before he can respond to her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Okay Abbs, what’s wrong?” Tony asks when their drinks arrive.
“Why would anything be wrong?”
“Because you demanded that we take you to lunch, then refused to offer an opinion on where we should go. In fact you’ve spoken less in the last twenty minutes than you usually do when you greet me.”
“And we both know you Baby. Now what‘s wrong?”
“Nothing’s wrong, not exactly anyway.”
“What happened Abby?”
“I just wasn’t thinking…”
“When you did what Princess?”
“I invited Grandpa Jack to stay with me Thanksgiving night.”
Gibbs gets it first, “And Jolene and Victor are already staying with you Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.” He sighs, “There is no way I’m inviting him to stay at the house until at the very least he’s proven he can be civil.”
“I know Pop, and I wouldn’t ask you to. What I would ask you to do is help me to figure out how to tell Grandpa that he can’t stay with me without hurting his feelings.”
“Baby girl, he loves you. Hell he adores you. Just tell him the truth, that you were excited, and planning big plans and forgot yourself. You got carried away and we’ll put him up in a hotel instead.” Noting Abby’s reluctant look he tries again, “Jolene and Victor could stay with us I suppose.”
“No, I want Mom to stay at my place.”
“He’s not staying at the house Abbs. It’s just not happening. We’re bound to fight as it is.”
“He promised me he’d be nice.”
“Abigail, I know you have no way of knowing this so I’m not mad, but my reluctance to give Jackson slack is justified. He claims that it’s my life and I can do as I please, that he knows he has no say. And then he tries to manipulate the situation based on what he thinks I need. I’m sure he has every intention of being polite, but it won’t stop him from trying to impose his judgment on my life. And while that’s all well and good, I will not encourage it by inviting him to stay in my house.”
“I wish you’d mentioned this before,” Tony murmurs, put out.
“Why?” Gibbs asks confused.
“If he’s going to try to run me off it helps if I’m not blind sided by it.”
“Not like that Tony. He’ll try to convince you that I’m too old for you. That I’m just playing with you until I find wife number five. That you need someone who isn’t bound by don’t ask don’t tell. He‘s done it to everyone I ever brought home, including Shannon. It‘s not about what he thinks about you, it‘s about what he thinks about me.”
Abby, looking entirely contrite, plays with her napkin, “So which hotel should we put him up at?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

McGee waits five minutes then moves over to Tony’s desk. He knows it goes against Abby’s instructions to show he can be trusted, but he figures he’s using Tony’s methods so Tony will understand. The first drawer he opens is a bust, just a bottle of water, a glass and a toothbrush. The second isn’t much better: a few files, exhibit advertisements from various museums in town, and the card that came with the roses a few weeks back. He considers the brief message more carefully. Why sign it with just an initial? It’s not because a lack of space. Maybe it’s someone who works in the building. Who has a first initial J? The only answer McGee can think of is a laughable one: Jenny Sheppard. Maybe the name itself would give away something either the sender or Tony wouldn’t want broadcast around. The remaining drawers only turn up one item of real interest, a key on it’s own keychain with a tag reading “Tony’s.” Clearly whoever she is, it really is serious. Having come up empty he considers what Ziva said. What did Tony say exactly about the mysterious J? “Someone who enjoys my company.” Who typically enjoyed Tony’s company? Women who knew he wasn’t interested and enjoyed flirting anyway. Guys who wanted to talk about sports and action movies. That Medal of Honor recipient who thought he’d killed his best friend…
What else had Tony said? He kept saying there wasn’t any mysterious woman. Could that mean? Could Sarah be right? That would be one reason not to sign your name, signing “XO, Jack” would be a little telling. But surely not, Tony makes such a big deal of being a skirt chaser. Unless that’s the point. Could that be what Abby meant? That Tony doesn’t trust him enough to tell him that he’s actually gay? As much as Tony talks he doesn’t really say much. Frankly he’s revealed more in recent discussions about his current relationship than he had in the four years before that. In fact, he did say he was having dinner with “his princess’” father. His objections to the teasing about dating someone with a child had centered around not even knowing the girl’s mother.
McGee considers it a moment longer before heading out to lunch himself. If that is Tony’s secret he really does need to prove himself trustworthy. The sheer lengths Tony goes to hide it imply he’s had a bad experience in the past and that can’t be an easy thing to let go of.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally back on her conversational stride Abby bounces slightly, “What are you doing for Halloween?”
“What have I done for Halloween every year you’ve known me sweetheart?”
“You’re going to sit home and hand out candy.”
“Got it in one Abbs.”
“What, no scary movies?” Tony asks affronted.
“You could come over and help me overcome my ignorance of such an important tradition.”
“On a school night?”
“I think you and I both know that one is as dead as rule 12.”
“Not dead, just no longer relevant.”
Drawing their attention back to her before they forget they’re out in public Abby sits forward, “Do you wear a costume when you had out candy Tony?”
“Nope. I don’t exactly have the best memories of Halloween, Princess. I just like seeing the kids’ enthusiasm.”
“I could take you to a costume party tomorrow night.”
Tony chuckles, “Who exactly is throwing this party?”
“Okay so it’s not your scene… He’s a very up person, but half the fun of a costume party is the mystery.”
“No thanks Baby, but you have fun.”
“I promise we’ll have some fun this weekend princess, crave some pumpkins, eat some pie.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The director is leaning against the railing in front of MTAC watching the bullpen when Gibbs, DiNozzo, and Abby return from lunch. Earlier she observed the opening of the gift and can’t help but wonder at how this new love interest knows Gibbs so well. DiNozzo has an arm wrapped around a laughing Abby and is teasing her about her Halloween costume. Gibbs laughs brightly, his response carrying easily to her perch above them. “Not likely Sweetheart. I expect the unexpected from you.”
“We’ll see Pop.”
DiNozzo gives Abby a push toward the secure elevator and moves behind his own desk before glancing up and spotting her watching. He nods to her slightly before turning his computer back on.
Gibbs must see that as he continues around to the stairs and heads up to her. “Was there something you needed Director?”
“I’m just observing my agents. Though I must say I’m a little surprised you’d let DiNozzo date your daughter.”
He laughs genuinely again, “Tony is not dating Abbs. They’re too close for that. I wouldn’t call it a sibling relationship, but it has that air of hands-off to it. But I’m curious, what about Tony am I supposed to find so objectionable?”
“Even I know he chases everything in a skirt Jethro. You’d let him play with your daughter like that?”
He smiles as Tony hits McGee with a wadded up paper ball. “Abbs plays with boys like they were live action dolls. And she’s proud of it. As long as she doesn’t want more from someone I’m not going to fault them for not being serious about her. She’s thirty, not thirteen. As for Tony, what’s wrong with a little flirting?”
“It can be rather… misleading.”
“I’m sorry Jenny. I never meant to lead you on.”
“Honestly Jethro, I wasn’t talking about that. I was just noticing that Abby has been especially close with Tony lately, and wondering if perhaps she doesn’t think something else is going on. ”
“From what she tells me she’s been advising him on personal matters. She won’t say any more than that and I think you and I should both respect that.”
“I have no intention of delving into their personal lives Jethro, I just want to know if the relationship between them is going to be a problem. I know how you feel about coworkers dating.”
“I think it’s a good thing actually. And if I had a problem with it I would deal with it myself, as I suspect you know.”
“I saw your friend sent you another gift.”
“Not Liz this time.” He glances down to see that it’s become an all out paper ball war downstairs, “I better go break this up.”
She retreats to her office, commenting to Cynthia along the way, “You were right. He knows something.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite a second paper ball fight breaking out, and ending only when Tony is hit square between the eyes by Gibbs himself, the rest of the afternoon passes quietly. The last of the paperwork on the murder and drive by is filed and six cold case files are reviewed but nothing new comes in. As he starts to pack up Tony looks across the aisle at Gibbs, “We on call this weekend Boss?”
“Not unless something truly major goes down.”
“Good. I could really use the time off.”
“The new love of your life wearing you out already?” McGee attempts to tease, careful to keep his comment gender neutral.
“Or perhaps you are hoping they might make an attempt to do so,” Ziva adds grinning.
“Don’t you know yet? A DiNozzo can’t be worn out.”
“That is wishful thinking DiNozzo,” Gibbs comments dryly.
“In the sense they were implying Boss.”
Gibbs smirks his contradiction without voicing anything.
A moment later Tony’s email dings. “Don’t forget dinner with Liz. My place, 8:00. If you turn up early we’ll discuss your claims.”
Tony smiles and quickly drafts a response, “You can prove me wrong everyday for the rest of my life babe. Be over after I drop some things off at the dry cleaners. Twenty, half hour at most.”
“Either way your new sweetheart is obviously improving your look out.”
“Out look. And my outlook hasn’t changed a bit. I’m as sunny and up beat as I always was.”
“So you’re admitting that J’s a new sweetheart?” McGee questions.
“I confirm or deny nothing. Except that I cannot be worn out and would appreciate a couple days off.”
“Give it up Tony. We all know you’re seeing someone.”
“Then you don’t need me to tell you anything,” Tony smiles and leaves with a half wave in the direction of Gibbs and Ziva.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz arrives almost a full hour early and is startled to find the door locked. Gibbs answers it smiling, “Always so impatient.”
“I thought I might help with the cooking.”
“Nothing to help with Liz, I made you my all day slow roast.”
“You’re locking your door now?”
“Tony does from time to time. When he doesn’t want anyone to just walk in.”
“Did I interrupt something?”
“No.” Gibbs chuckles, “He pretty much dared me to wear him out. I had just finished pouring him into the shower when you rang.”
“How long has this been going on?”
“Two months now.”
“Isn’t that a little quick to be moving him in Jethro? Even for you.”
“We’re not living together Liz.”
“Really? You were doing the New York times crossword in ink this morning?”
“No, Tony was doing the crossword at breakfast. We slept here, we ate here, simple as that. You missed me Monday because we stayed at his place. We are not living together. We haven’t even discussed living together yet.”
Liz laughs, “You’re so cute when you’re defensive. It scares the hell out of you how much you like having him here doesn’t it?”
“Not exactly. I’m glad we honestly enjoy each other’s company.” He listens for a second to ensure Tony is still in the shower, “The part that scares me is I know for a fact that if he came to me tomorrow and told me they’d evicted him I wouldn’t even give him a chance to look for a new place. And I know he wouldn’t understand for a minute why that bothers me.”
“Do you know why it bothers you?” Liz asks curiously.
“Because it’s always hard to live with someone, no matter what you feel for them and with our situation it is going to be harder. I can guarantee I will do something stupid at work and hurt him. It‘s a foregone conclusion. If he moves in before we‘re both ready a fight like that could break us and I can‘t lose him. It‘s why it took Abbs so damn long to convince me that it was a risk worth taking.”
“You’re an idiot Jethro,” The statement comes from Tony, not Liz as he walks into the kitchen. He extends a hand to Liz, “You must be Liz. I’m Tony. Nice to meet you.”
“Smart and cute. If I dated men I might have to steal you away.”
Recovering slightly and deciding to face the discussion now that he’s in it Gibbs squares his shoulders, “Why exactly am I an idiot?”
“Because I know you, you jackass. I know you’re going to snap and snarl from time to time. I’m well aware at some point one or both of us is going to have to tell a bald-faced lie. I also know that when we get around to living together we’re going to fight like cats and dogs for awhile before we work out the details of sharing space. I also know the first thing I’ll have to do is carve out a space of my own so that when it’s time to go to ‘neutral corners’ I have one. Now, that being said you’re right. It’s too soon for us to move in together. Besides the fact that for whatever reason you’re not comfortable with the idea I figure we need to have at least one good fight before we even discuss it.”
“I can tell I’m going to like you,” Liz comments as she pours glasses of wine.
Tony moves into Gibbs’ personal space before he murmurs his parting shot, “Stop assuming I’m going to run from you, Jethro. You want me gone you’re going to have to run me off. I’m not one of your dumb redheads too stuck on some vision of a romantic hero to see what I’ve really got.” After a kiss that proves he isn’t worn out yet Tony takes his usual seat at the table and smiles charmingly at Liz, “Was he this stupid when you met him?”
“Don’t blame him too much. He has a hard time with the concept of good things happening to him. Now I want to hear more about you.”
“If you’ll tell me more about yourself as well I’m willing to talk.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby isn’t surprised to find the door locked when she arrives for lunch, Tony’s taken to locking it more and more often. She rings the bell and fusses with her hair watching her reflection in the glass. Gibbs opens the door and stares, “Something you want to tell me baby?”
“Happy Halloween?”
Comprehension dawns on his face, “Is it a wig or did you actually dye your hair platinum blonde?”
“And have to keep it this color for weeks?” She makes a face, “No thank you. It’s a wig.”
“And the costume is?”
“You can guess after I take my coat off.”
He laughs and steps aside so she can do just that. Once she does he takes her hand and leads her to the kitchen calling out to Tony, “It seems the guest list for lunch has changed slightly. No sign of Abby but Marilyn Monroe has joined us.”
Tony turns around with a confused look, which brightens into a appreciative grin. “Welcome Ms. Monroe, or do you prefer Ms. Baker?”
“Marilyn will be fine.”
Tony twirls her, “Great costume Abbs. Is this for the party you’re going to tonight?”
“I figured if I couldn’t get you to come out and play I’d bring some of the party to you.”
“I guess we had something of the same idea. I made pumpkin risotto and prepped the craving pumpkins. Figured you could at least offer some suggestions on designs.”
“Cool. How did dinner with Liz go?”
“She threatened to steal me away. It was very flattering.”
“I can see from Pop’s expression you got along better than he might have liked.”
“It’s not that. Not exactly,” Gibbs defends. “You should have heard them, plotting to push Jenny Sheppard’s buttons. I was having serious visions of needing a back up plan in the event of losing my job.”
“Madame Wicked Stepmother wouldn’t fire you Pop. She wouldn’t have access if she did that.”
“If she found out my boyfriend and one of my oldest friends were deliberately taunting her I wouldn’t count on any prediction of what she’d do.”
“I swear we were just playing. I have nothing against little zingers like the coffee beans but I wouldn’t provoke her. I’d like to think we could talk her into just splitting us up. I wouldn’t be happy with that but it’s better than having to explain to potential employers why I was fired for an inappropriate sexual relationship.”
“You’d really leave NCIS after talking her into letting you stay?” Abby asks concerned.
“It’s not the plan or anything Princess, but I don’t think I could deal with opposite shifts and being on alternating weekends. Now, on a brighter note: Have you decided who you’re bringing to the fundraiser?”
“I was thinking I’d bring Chester. He’s one of the forensic anthropologists over at Quantico. He’s sweet, well educated, a little shy. He won’t steal any of your thunder or embarrass you.”
“I’m not worried about being embarrassed Abbs. There are two key reasons you need a decent date for a thing like this. The first is that your date is the first line of defense against the worst of the church ladies, who are going to get one glimpse of the tattoo on your neck and try to save you. And two I’m going to have enough on my mind without making sure my Princess is enjoying herself. Besides which I may end up being asked to leave if the scene with my father becomes too overt.”
“Just how fancy is this party?”
“They’re not going to announce you at the door but you need a nice dress and I’ll loan you some of my maternal grandmother’s good jewelry if you want.”
“You’re the best step dad ever Tony.”
Tony laughs and shoos her to the table for lunch.