- Text Size +
Tony shuts his refrigerator with an annoyed sigh, “Get dressed Jethro, we’re going to breakfast before work.”
“Are we?”
“I don’t even have un-curdled milk and I’m hungry. Which I blame you for.”
“That you’re hungry or that your cupboards are bare?”
“Both.”
Gibbs laughs, “Then I suppose, in penance for such sins, I should take you out to breakfast.”
They end up at a small diner not far from Tony’s place. The waitress eyes Tony like a steak dinner, “Long time no see Gorgeous.”
“’Morning Laura.”
“What can I get for you today?”
“The strawberry pancakes with sausage and hash browns and a cup of hot chocolate.” Tony shoot Gibbs a wry smile, “Sorry to say Jethro their coffee isn’t exactly up to snuff.”
Gibbs gives an acknowledging nod, “Not like it’ll be my only cup. Two eggs over easy, bacon and toast. And a cup of coffee.”
Laura eyes Gibbs uncertainly before giving them both a smile, “Coming right up.”
“You’re dying to growl ‘hands off’ at her right now, aren’t you?”
“I wouldn’t say dying. I’m tempted.”
Tony interlaces their fingers on the table top, “You have nothing to worry about.”
It makes Gibbs grin that Tony is finally throwing caution to the wind, “I know I don’t. But I still don’t like the thought of you being looked at like a piece of meat.”
“You’ve obviously never seen the looks you get.”
“I don’t get anything near the looks shot at you Tony.”
“Can we change the subject now Jethro?”
“What subject would you like to discuss?”
“Abbs and I are going out to lunch tomorrow.”
Gibbs raises a skeptical eyebrow, “Are you now?”
“We are. You’re invited if you’d like to join us. We’re going to my bank so she can pick out some jewelry for the Marine Birthday Ball first.”
“Will you be joining us?”
“No. I’d prefer not to spend the evening making small talk with Corp leaders. No offense Jethro but they’re stuffed shirts no matter how you cut it. I‘ll play ball with Brandon or make the rounds in my building. You know, make sure the nice grandmotherly ladies are doing okay.”
“So I won’t be seeing you afterwards?”
“Did I say that?” A genuine version of Tony’s usual camouflage grin graces his face, “You know you could just ask me to come over.”
“It’s not as if you don’t know I want you there.”
“Sometimes a boy likes to hear it.”
With a brief, accommodating dip of his head Gibbs asks, “Would you please come over to my place next Friday night? I’ll have Abby home and be back at the house by 2300.”
“I’ll be waiting in bed with a snack from about 2230.”
The waitress returns with their drinks just in time to hear that. She doesn’t say a word, just sets both cups down and retreats toward the kitchen.
Tony ignores her and Gibbs turns their hands over, “Do you want me to come with you tomorrow? I know you and Abby were close before you and I…”
“You’re welcome to join us Jethro. The only reason I hesitate at all is that I doubt you’ll enjoy the bank visit portion of our plans.”
“I can survive a few rounds of dress up. And Abbs might enjoy it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Gibbs enters the bullpen McGee shoots out of his chair as if he were spring loaded. “Boss, Becky from records called three times and the director keeps coming to the railing, I think something’s up.”
“Get caught up on you paperwork,” Gibbs instructs absently as he heads up the stairs wondering if this is it, the day it all goes to hell.
Cynthia doesn’t even try to stop him, just announces him to the director.
“My team informs me you’ve been looking for me Ma’am.”
“Has Ms. Wells been in contact with you?”
“No.”
“It seems your team’s quarterly performance reviews have not been filed since Director Morrow left the agency.”
“That would be because Tom always completed those reviews.”
“Regardless of how Tom Morrow dealt with the situation it is your job to complete those reviews in a timely fashion.”
“If they weren’t doing their jobs I’d have fired them already.”
“Then say as much in their reviews, just file them.”
“What is it Jen, one of the paper pushers at DoD have pictures you don’t want shown around or something?”
“Not that it is any concern of your Agent Gibbs but I was recently informed that this quarter’s audit will determine whether or not I remain on as Director.”
“Is that why you’ve been spying on my team?”
“Statistically speaking it is the safest way of preventing trouble around here. Your team, collectively, has required more medical attention since I took over as director than the rest of the teams required in the last four years.”
“Is that a fact? I would have guessed three.”
“Just file whatever paperwork records and personnel need you to Jethro. Believe it or not I have bigger problems than you.”
“I do your paper work and my team comes out of the fishbowl?”
“Whatever it takes.”
It takes the better part of the day, with the help of Tony and McGee to file the various forms, reports, and reviews. Out of deference to the fact that she isn’t officially NCIS he leaves Ziva the task of compiling the case summary for Bering’s murder. When five o’clock rolls around his in box is finally, blessedly empty. “We’re on the call list this weekend but we’re in the third position so try to relax and get some rest in, but know we may be called back.”
“Got a date Boss?” Tony teases.
“Is that somehow your business DiNozzo?”
“Just, being friendly Boss.”
“What about you DiNozzo? Spending the weekend with your new special someone?”
“Hope to.”
Gibbs gives in, “One way or the other I am.”
“Good for you Boss. We should all get out and have some fun.”
Ziva smirks at Tony, “Do not do anything I would not do.”
Tony laughs happily, “Can’t promise that. I have no idea what you wouldn’t do. Well, except use contractions anyway. And for the record that wasn‘t an invitation to tell me. You kids have fun. I myself have seen enough paperwork for a lifetime.”
“You seemed to enjoy it while you were doing it,” McGee shoots back.
“I was writing your performance reviews Probie, of course I was having a laugh.”
“Like I’d buy that one Tony.”
Tony actually had written the reviews, all accept his own, but he just grabs his backpack and leaves.
Gibbs has no idea what McGee and Ziva are doing but he can sense both of them tensing when his cell rings. He checks the caller ID and smiles, “Gibbs.”
“Hiya sweet cheeks. I’m stopping by my place for a couple of DVDs and some things I need to put in my safe deposit box. Want me to just get some take out?”
“Isn’t it my turn to cook?”
“Is it?”
“I think so Babe. Don’t worry about it. I’ll plan for a sit down around seven, take care of your errands.”
“We gonna do something Ziva wouldn’t do for desert?”
“Not how I’d refer to it but don’t we usually?”
“Love you too.”
“You know I do. See you at the house.” Gibbs resists the urge to roll his eyes at Tony’s antics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There’s a hesitant knocking on Abby’s Lab door just as she’s shutting off her music for the night, “Jimmy?”
“Hi Abby. Can I ask you a question?”
“Sure thing Jimmy. Come on in,” She pats the seat of one of her rolling chairs. “What can I do for you tonight?”
“Have you ever… been uncomfortable working with someone?”
She eyes Jimmy suspiciously but answers, “Sometimes. Mostly when Bossman agrees to a ‘joint operation’ and I end up with some inexperienced stranger‘s hands all over my babies.”
“I meant uncomfortable personally.”
“Is this about what you overheard Pop saying to Ducky?”
Jimmy practically jumps at her vehemence. “What I heard…” He trails off. “Oh! No not at all. What someone chooses to do at home is their own business.”
“Okay,” Abby accepts this explanation readily. “Then what do you mean by personally uncomfortable?”
“Say someone who’s seen you naked is walking around the building… If we‘re not talking about sexual harassment how do you deal with that?”
“You broke up with Lee?”
Jimmy sighs, “Does everyone but Dr. Mallard know?”
“I think even Ducky knows.”
Jimmy turns a little green at that, “Everyone?”
“I didn’t say anyone cared Jimmy. Just that everyone knows.” She pats his arm reassuringly, “As for how to deal with her, just treat her like a stranger. If you don’t behave like you’re uncomfortable eventually you won’t be.”
“That’s your advice, ignore it until it goes away?”
“Unless you want to quit or transfer.”
“I see what you mean. Thanks Abby. And for the record, even though he scares me I like- well I respect your father.”
“And he likes you too. Otherwise he would have used threats of violence to keep you quiet. If you stop acting like a frightened dormouse he’ll stop scowling at you for laughs.”
Jimmy’s acknowledging nod smacks of disbelief but Abby doesn’t bother calling him on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Tony hits the last step he’s already snapped six pictures and Gibbs has gone perfectly still. “Don’t.”
“Don’t what Tony?”
“Don’t go all tense on me. Luke asked to see your picture and after looking through what I have I need new ones. I figured I should try to get some of you at rest. You know: working on the boat, doing the dishes with Abby, pretending not to watch TV.”
“All because your friend wants to see pictures?”
“Not just for Luke, no. All the pictures I have of you are from work. They’re pictures of Gibbs, not Jethro.”
Gibbs reaches out a hand and, obeying the silent request, Tony comes to his side. “How long will I have to endure being cataloged like evidence?”
“A few minutes now, maybe an hour tomorrow? A little longer if Abbs doesn‘t cooperate.”
“Is there any benefit for being your artistic subject, Mr. DiNozzo?”
“What’d you have in mind, Mr. Gibbs?”
“I could use a hand making sure the house is… fit for guests.”
“Any room in particular?”
“Now that you mention it I do believe the guest room especially needs a good… once over. After all someone recently pointed out I wouldn‘t know a decent mattress if it jumped up and bit me on the ass.”
“Of course not. A decent mattress doesn’t bite you on the ass.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby deliberately vamps it up as soon as she sees the camera, “No one told me there was going to be a photo shoot.”
“Because there isn’t. I don’t do posed photographs. I just want some pictures of my favorite people.”
“Aww Tony, that is so sweet of you.”
“You know you’re one of my favorite people Princess.”
Abby hugs him. “What’s in the folder?”
“Dad’s lawyer sent me some information on my new trust fund. It seems he thinks that it makes it less likely that I’d interfere with baby brother’s inheritance if I receive my own, less hefty settlement.”
“They found out the baby’s a boy?”
“I don’t know Abbs. Haven’t spoken to them. I just have a feeling I’m getting a little brother. Maybe he’ll be the son Dad wanted.”
“Your father’s an idiot Tony.”
“Don’t I know it.” Tony wraps an arm around Abby’s waist, “But it’s your inheritance I want to focus on today Princess.” Abby looks at him askance. “You know we’re family sweetheart. And who else in our family would be interested in my grandmother’s jewelry? In any case you really are the Princess, you’re the only female among us. I just ask that you keep up the tradition of passing it down, your daughter, your niece as long as they’ll wear it once in a while. Same promise I made to Nana Pazzi.”
Picking up on the importance of the request she offers a solemn “I promise. Tell me about her sometime?”
“I’d like that.” Tony looks over at Gibbs, “Let’s get a move on before the sap drives Jethro down to the basement.”
Gibbs softly cuffs the back of Tony’s head, “I like it when you talk about family too, Tony.”
“He admitted it!” Abby crows happily breaking the mood.
“No one would believe you.”
“Who cares? I know you said it.” Both Gibbs and Tony laugh at that.
Almost as if purposely trying to lighten the mood Tony spends most of the trip to the bank snapping pictures. Abby practically sparkles under the influence of all the attention. The highlight of the trip for Tony is a picture of Gibbs kissing Abby’s cheek over her shoulder. A close second is Abby’s face when she discovers the pearl and ivory cameo that has been passed down through four generations of his mother’s family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they get back to the house Abby quietly takes possession of the camera, snapping away as if determined to use every bit of memory on his card. Tony really doesn’t mind, especially when he finds that she’s taken the perfect picture for his purposes. Gibbs is sitting in the corner of the den sofa, Tony curled into his side. Neither of them is paying the camera any attention, they look comfortable and peaceful together. It’s exactly what he wants to show Luke.
When he’s done ordering prints of some of the pictures he finds Gibbs in the basement with a glass of bourbon beside his tools.
“Did something upset you that I missed?”
“No, why would you think so?”
“You’re drinking,” Tony states simply as he wraps an arm around Gibbs’ waist.
“No offense to my little girl, you know I adore her but prolonged exposure, especially when she’s ‘on’, requires a little down time.”
Tony chuckles at that, “I can see that. And she was in fine form today.”
“I think you made her month with that little speech about her being your family and needing to pass on a family tradition.”
“I meant every word. I loved my grandmother, I mean to keep my promise to her, and you know I think she would have liked Abby. Might have wanted to know why I’m casting myself as her stepfather rather than her husband but nobody’s perfect.”
“So she wouldn’t have liked me?”
“Nana was a spit fire, she’d probably try to steal you away.”
Gibbs laughs, “I’d end up disappointing her then, wouldn’t I?”
“I sure as hell hope so.”
“Did you want children? I know I made a pretty presumptuous statement before…”
“Want would probably be the wrong word. When I was young it was clear what was expected of me. I was supposed to learn to run my father’s business, get married, take over and have a house full of children. Both sets of grandparents made it painfully obvious that the fact that Mother couldn’t have any more children was a tragedy. I never felt like I belonged in that life, as you know, but I guess part of me just kept on assuming I’d end up with kids. I’ve never felt like I was missing anything, never watched kids playing in a park and wanted that.”
“Have you actually thought about it since we‘ve been together?”
“A little. After we talked to my father…I know enough about the kind of man he is to know there’s a distinct possibility that one day he’ll decide raising a family again is too much trouble. But Jessica will do just fine, and frankly I don’t want that kind of disruption in my life.”
“Just so long as it’s really what you want.”
Tony doesn’t bother to respond to that. Instead he steals a sip of bourbon and runs a hand over the hull of the boat, “She’s almost done, isn’t she?”
“I could stretch out working on her for years yet if I wanted to, but yes Kelly should be seaworthy by Presidents' day.”
“You named her Kelly?”
“Naming them after the wives just wasn’t working out.”
“Want a hand with her?”
“You’re going to help me apply varnish to the boat in one of your good suits?”
“No, but I could go change.”
“It’s up to you Babe. I’ll be down here about an hour and a half, you can join me or not.”
“You just bowl me over with your unrelenting enthusiasm for my presence.”
“I just know that wood working isn’t your favorite pass time.”
“Actually I like you sharing it with me. I just know that it’s also how you unwind.”
“If I need you to leave me alone Tony I will let you know.”
“Now that is easy to believe.”
Chapter End Notes:
Late and a bit short, sorry. I had six houseguests turn up earlier than expected. They'll be here two weeks and this may delay our nxt update.