- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Time for Abbs to have her fun
As they approach the door to the PFC’s apartment the sounds of an ongoing scuffle are unmistakable. Without a single word Gibbs and Tony take up defensive positions on either side of the door before Gibbs reaches out to carefully try the door. It opens easily, having been left unlocked by the cops who are still on scene.
Inside they find the two patrol officers trying to hold off a large hissing and spitting cat with a broom.
“What is that?” Tony eyes the animal distrustfully.
“Whatever it is it attacked your sailor and took a chunk out of my partner’s arm,” The cop holding the broom complains.
“McGee, get animal control out here. Tell them we have a wildcat in an apartment.”
“On it boss.”
“What was it doing before you tried to get control of it?”
“It was asleep,” The injured mad admits with visible chagrin. “Looked like a really big house cat with bloody paws…”
“And where did the broom enter into it?”
The other cops answers this one, “It was the first long handled item I found to keep it off of Thompson.”
Gibbs and Tony both just shake their heads at the stupidity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ziva enters the ER just in time to hear the doctor ask “Private, are these claw marks?” Choosing to observe and then assess the situation she doesn’t make her presence known.
“I shouldn’t have startled her. It’s my fault.”
“Startled who?” The doctor presses again.
“My… cat Tigger.”
The doctor examines the wounds more closely, “What sort of cat is Tigger?”
He gives a resigned sigh and looks directly at Ziva before answering. “She’s a Tigerillo. A friend brought her back from Ecuador for me.”
“Was she properly quarantined when she was imported?”
“No Ma’am.”
“How long have you had her?”
“About three months.”
“I hope you enjoy the jello Private as you’ll be staying with us for a few days while you’re on IV antibiotics.”
“What will happen to Tigger?” He looks imploringly back and forth between the two women.
The doctor, perhaps sensing Ziva’s confusion steps us, “That will be up to animal control I’m afraid.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What was he doing with an ocelot in his apartment?” Abby asks from her perch on Gibbs’ desk.
“He was keeping it as a pet,” Ziva explains.
“What was he thinking?”
Tony fields this one, “He wasn’t. It was kind of cool looking. He probably thought it’d help him impress the ladies. Especially after he made up some story about rescuing it from poachers with only the force of his principals. Now he’s facing smuggling charges and a dishonorable discharge.”
“You all finished your reports on the subject?” Gibbs demands as he rounds the corner.
“Check your in-box boss,” Tony grins at the annoyed look that response earns him.
“Did you need something Abbs?”
“I need to talk to you about Friday Pop.”
“You’re dumping me for a real date, huh?”
“Never Pop.” She glances around before suggesting, “Maybe we should talk in private.”
Without a word he enters the elevator expecting that she’ll follow. “What happened?”
“Madame Director stopped by for a chat. She wanted to make sure I knew I didn’t need a marine escort to attend. And that if I did indeed bring a date it would encourage you to bring your new companion.”
“She tried the same tactic with me earlier.”
“Persistent, isn’t she?”
“And I haven’t the faintest idea why. We never really got along all that well. Hell, I’m pretty sure she wanted to shoot me a time or two.”
“You think Charming hasn’t considered it on occasion?”
“Not with serious intent, no.”
“As for Madame Director, she was used to seeing you as the back-up plan. With you in a serious relationship that becomes much harder. It’s not so much that she’s still looking to win you, more that she needs to understand why she lost. The female ego takes being passed over for someone else personally. To accept it she needs to see that this new person is nothing like her. ”
“I’m not telling her Abbs.”
“That it’s Charming? No, I didn’t think for a minute you would, or should. But if you tell her you’re seeing a man it might make her back off.”
“No baby, at least not until my discharge papers go through.”
She‘s clearly shocked, “You’re leaving the reserves?”
“It’s time. I mean it when I say there’s no such thing as an ex-marine, but I don’t have to stay with the Corp to keep the faith. I still stand by the principals but I can’t keep a commitment to the Corp and to Charming when the two are in direct conflict.” He drops his voice and leans in, forehead to forehead before continuing, “And Tony isn’t asking me to hide who I am the for the rest of my life, which means even if he weren’t the more important of the two he’d still be the more honorable.”
“Does he know yet?”
“No, I don’t want him to feel like it was a choice I made between him and the Corp. We both know he’d over react to that. I was going to have to leave one way or the other, I prefer to do it with an honorable discharge.”
“Will you still be doing the collection for Toys for Tots at the office?”
“This year will be the last time in uniform, but yes.”
Abby smirks just a little, “Going to let Charming take lots of pictures?”
“Doubt I’ll have much say in the matter.”
She nods knowingly, “True enough. What are you going to do about Madame Director?”
“Nothing I can do really sweetheart. If she’s determined enough she could figure out who I’m seeing in a matter of hours. I’m not going to hide in some pathetic attempt to avoid her wrath. I’m not attached enough to my job to give him up for it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In what is undoubtedly a political maneuver the director insists they aid the FBI in tracking down the other illegally imported animals, resulting in an incident Tony has nick-named “Cat got McGee’s tongue.” The fact that it also got three thin strips of flesh makes the whole thing less funny, but not overly so. The net result is that come Friday they’re all ready to run for the hills and savor their rare not-on-call weekend. The tension when Gibbs’ phone rings at five o’clock is almost palpable.
“Go ahead and bring it up Abbs. It’s about time,” He smiles slightly causing McGee and Ziva to exchange a confused look. Tony just begins shutting down his computer and gathering his things out of sight.
Abby arrives with two garment bags and a smile. She offers one to Gibbs like it’s an everyday occurrence. “The director offered me the use of her private washroom to change, I‘m sure she‘d do the same for you if you asked Pop,” She casts an indiscreet glance around indicating the prying eyes of not just the team but the other agents on the floor as well.
“Go ahead sweetheart, I’ll just change in the locker room.” He represses a smirk as Tony quietly slips off, presumably to wait for the free show.
Gibbs startles McGee and Ziva deliberately by asking, “Why don’t you two follow DiNozzo’s example and head out?” He doesn’t wait for their reactions, just heads downstairs.
Unsurprisingly he finds Tony sitting beside his locker, “Coming back here after the party Boss?”
“Nope, can’t run the risk of Prince Charming having turned into a pumpkin while I was busy driving all over town. I’m dropping my daughter off and heading straight home by taxi, it‘s already scheduled for 2200.”
After a quick look around to make sure they’re alone Tony offers his best charming smile, “I have it on good authority the prince would wait all night.”
“I’ll keep that in mind. Did you bring your camera?”
Tony nods, “And a pretty convincingly idiotic routine about how our baby’s all grown up and going to the prom to be aimed at McGee.”
Gibbs sets about changing into his uniform .
Tony watches with open interest, “Does Madame Director know about your discharge yet?”
“Do you honestly think I would have told her before I told you?”
“Fair enough.”
“How long have you known?”
“Since last Saturday at the bank. You didn’t tense when Abby told you that you had to wear the uniform. Every time she’d said it before that you braced your self as if expecting a blow.”
“You read me too well sometimes Tony. Any thoughts on my leaving the Corp?”
“I understand why you’re doing it. ‘Pride. Honor. Integrity.’ Gotta admit the thought of you as a Retired Marine throws me a little bit. But then I’ve never believed in anything half as strongly as you believe in the Corp.”
“That’s not true Tony. You just never had anybody hand you a list of principals to follow. You had to find your own way, but you did. I know because I’ve seen the look in your eyes every time we got there in time to save someone, to do justice for someone who deserves it.”
“That’s not the same Boss. Everybody believes in justice.”
“Not really. Because for every one we save there’s one where we’re just too late. Sometimes more than one. For most people that would be enough to break the faith. Not you. And because you keep the faith we do better than maybe we should.”
Clearly deciding it’s a fight he can’t win Tony gives a mild smile and half a nod, “The point being that it’s the right thing for you and that’s what important. I might just miss the uniform though.” He swallows audibly, “No cover?”
“We don’t wear them inside so I didn’t bother with it.”
“Promise you’ll politely break Sheppard’s fingers if she can’t keep her hands to herself?”
“Why don’t we assign that task to Abby?”
Tony laughs brightly, “She’ll like that. Guess I better head upstairs and begin my photo shoot.”
“See if you can get most of it out of her system before I get up there, won’t you?”
“I’ll try.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Tony arrives back up stairs he finds Ducky regaling McGee and Ziva with a tale of an Ambassadorial reception he once attended. Despite his warm feelings for the ME Tony can’t help but be glad he’s missed the first half of the story. He begins snapping pictures as soon as Abby begins descending the stairs and has to smile, she’s wearing a dark burgundy dress that would be right at home on the pages of one the magazines on her coffee table, “Gothic Beauty” if he’s remembering correctly. Meaning she left the more traditionally fashionable dress for the charity event the following week. Her hair is carefully arranged and serves to accentuate the cameo she’s wearing even as it obscures the pearl earrings. His grandmother would approve highly of this display of her finery. The others notice her as she arrives on the middle landing and Tony moves into position beside McGee. “This is it, she’s all grown up. Just look at her, she’s not our little girl anymore.”
“What are you talking about?” McGee is clearly annoyed.
“It seems like just yesterday she was sitting on my desk in her school outfit trying to teach me to braid hair and just look at her now…” Tony opines snapping photograph after photograph.
“That was yesterday,” McGee huffs shaking his head.
When Gibbs arrives on the floor Tony discreetly adjusts his angle to focus solely on the marine and goes right on shooting. He catches one he knows will turn out particularly well when Gibbs kisses Abby’s cheek in greeting. Just as he’s about to take the only posed shot, one of Abby with an escort, Gibbs and Ducky, on each elbow Madame Director descends into their midst.
Tony shoots her a chagrined smile, “Company newsletter. Not everyday the Bossman wears his dress blues. Why don’t you join them?” He discreetly captures his intended shot before Ducky offers her his free arm. She nods almost imperceptibly and accepts the offered arm.
The small group breaks up and Ducky, ever the gentleman, compliments his companion for the evening.
Tony uses the opening to pull Abby aside. “Abbs, got a minute before you go?”
She steps to the other side of the staircase and smiles at him, “I’m ready for my close up.”
Once he takes it he knows this is another one worthy of framing. “She so much as touches him you’ll break her fingers for me, won’t you sweetheart?”
“Like you have to ask.”
“Knew I could count on you sweetheart. Have fun.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Abby, you look lovely tonight,” A major general compliments as he hugs her. The director manages to contain her surprise at this, the third such display.
“Thank you General Layton. You look dashing as always.”
“You my dear inherited your father’s talent for exaggeration.”
“Based on what Nick?”
“Three words Jethro, ‘Situation Under Control.’”
Gibbs laughs, “Fair enough.”
“Charles tells me you put in for a discharge.”
“Retirement is calling my name.”
“Pull the other one Jethro, it‘s got bells.”
Abby grins conspiratorially, “He wants to be sure he has free time with his new love.”
“I didn’t hear you’d remarried.”
“I haven’t. I don’t really plan to either. But there is someone new in my life, someone I’d like to have free time for.”
“It’s good to see you happy.”
“And how’s Isabel doing?” Abby asks Layton.
“She’s having the time of her life with her sister in Tuscany.”
“I hear it’s beautiful there.”
“So Isabel tells me. If you’ll excuse me, I just spotted someone whom I need to have a word with.”
“It was nice talking to you again General.”
“It‘s always a pleasure to see you Abby,” He offers her a kiss on the hand and heads off in the direction of the buffet table.
“Dance with me Pop.”
Jenny Sheppard watches with unchecked fascination when Gibbs gives in to his daughter without hesitation and seamlessly leads her around the floor. Abby speaks briefly to a few of the other dancers before directing Gibbs to a more open section of the floor. There he allows her to take the lead and follows with the same easy grace.
She finds herself wondering what Abby could have said to make him smile like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you ever dance with Charming at home?”
His smile is genuine and bright enough that it takes five years off his face, “We tried once. It was clear we’d both had lessons and both of us were trying to lead. Needless to say we both ended up with bruises.”
“Why do men always try to turn dancing into combat?”
“It’s not so much that it’s combat, more that we’re taught from the beginning to lead. To internalize the rhythm and patterns to the point where leading is automatic.” He executes a quick turn he knows will make her giggle like a little girl standing on her father’s shoes at a wedding reception. “It’s hard to shut down instinct.”
She leans in a bit, “Make the effort. He’s a good dancer.”
“You are the worst kind of incorrigible.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony smiles at the soft, melodious chime that sounds when he enters the shop. “Okay Patrick, hit me with your best shot.”
“Mr. DiNozzo,” Patrick smiles at him, “I think I’ve got just the thing for you. Excuse me for a moment.”
Tony settles into the armchair in the corner of the shop.
“Given the photograph you sent me I’ve gone with a basic black for the pants and suit jacket, with clean lines as we aren‘t able to complete any tailoring.” He presents each piece with care and respect. “A blue brushed cotton shirt that compliments but doesn’t match those baby blues, and no tie. Your ‘silver haired fox’ seems more the rugged and dashing type, I think we should play to that.”
“Brushed cotton?”
“He doesn’t seem the silk type, Mr. DiNozzo.”
Tony laughs at that, “Fair enough.”
“Assuming the size information you were able to provide is accurate he should look positively smashing in these.”
“The man can make a faded oversized sweatshirt sexy Patrick, rocking a suit won’t be much of a feat.”
“How have I done?” Patrick presses.
“Very well. I like it, but what‘s more important is I think Jethro will like it. I knew I could count on you.”
He gives a modest dip of his head, “It is what I do.”
“And you do it well my friend. Even if you do refuse to call me Tony.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby and Ducky sit at one of the tables eating and watching as Gibbs is pressed into service dancing with the wives of schmoozing generals. Many undoubtedly pressing him for information about his new lady friend. But the part that amuses Abby to no end is Jenny Sheppard’s attempts to get close enough to claim the next dance while dancing with partners of her own. Eventually Abby excuses herself out onto the terrace for some fresh air and hears the distinct click of dress boots behind her.
When she turns it’s the son of one of Gibbs’ former commanders, Nathan Shipley. She smiles easily at him, “I didn’t know you were coming tonight Nate.”
“Dad asked me to. I just didn’t realize I was attending in the capacity of human shield.”
“Boredom is a very dangerous enemy.”
“Indeed. Is that why your father brought you along?”
“I asked Pop to bring me. I knew this was my last chance to attend a Corp Birthday Ball with my marine and didn’t want to miss it. As much as Pop hates this kind of thing there’s a… sense of deep belonging when he’s here. I like experiencing that, even second hand.”
“You could have joined the corp yourself you know, we take girls now.”
She punches him in the upper arm, “I like it in my lab, thank you very much.”
“Dance with me?”
“Lead the way.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Tony arrives at his building Miss Lobel is just completing her evening walk. “Tony Darling, I was beginning to think you’d abandoned us.”
“I don’t mean to Miss Lobel.”
“Have you really been that busy at work?”
“Work was some of it. Mostly I’ve been spending nights with my boyfriend.”
“Maddie mentioned you might have a new sweetheart.”
“Maddie Howard pays far too much attention to my comings and goings,” There’s amusement, not sanction in his tone.
“You’re more amusing than the soaps dear boy. Is there some reason you spend all your nights at his place rather than here?”
“Habit. He has a house and he bought me a new bed when I started to spend the night. We just tend to go there.”
“And where is he tonight?”
“He had a prior obligation. One I politely declined to attend.”
She nods and tugs on his take out bag, “I hope you eat better when you stay with your beau.”
“Jethro and I usually take turns cooking, Miss L.”
“Alright then Tony Darling. Do say hello to Maddie if you see her, she’s been worried about you.”
“I’ll make sure I speak to her before I leave for the night.” He kisses her cheek, “Night Miss L. Don’t spend too much time tormenting Mr. Morris tonight.”
“I never!” He gives her a disbelieving smile and a small wave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Abby returns to the table after a fourth consecutive dance with Nate the director is alone at the table as Gibbs is now talking to a group of younger marines in the corner and Ducky is chatting up a blonde near the buffet.
“He’s handsome,” Sheppard observes of Nate who is being introduced to someone by his father now.
“Nate? Not my type. He reminds me too much of my brother.”
“It’d still have to better than pining after Tony who sees you as a sister.”
Abby laughs at that, “I’ve never seen Tony that way, or Nate for that matter. I like ‘em geeky Ma’am.”
“Which I’m sure delights your father to no end.”
“Pop pretty much minds his own business. Grandpa Jack often has more than I want to hear to say about who I date, but the only thing I hear from Pop on the subject is about Mikel. And not letting Pop break his legs.”
“Whatever happened to Mr. Mawher?”
“I’m sure he’s fixated on someone new now a days. So long as he stays well away from me both Pop and I prefer to let him be.”
“I suppose given the situation that was the best possible outcome.”
“He wasn’t going to magically get better, no. I understand that there was never anyway I was going to help him. He was sick in a way you just can‘t fix. Pop makes real sure I learned that lesson.”
“And has he learned his lessons?”
Abby shrugs a bit, “Seems so. He stopped marrying every redhead who stuck around him more than a month. Found someone who tells him when he’s being an ass but doesn’t hold it against him. Who makes him laugh and have fun.”
“I take it from that you like the new girlfriend?”
She smiles brightly, “I’m happy for Pop, and for our family. I think having the support of someone he genuinely loves is one of the deciding factors and in his agreeing to start speaking to Grandpa Jack again.”
“Jack is Jethro’s father? I thought he was dead.”
“Daddy just likes to be melodramatic. The remains of some repressed teenaged angst, I think.”
“Ever stop to think I might just be a private person Sweetheart?”
“Well that is true too,” She allows patting his hand. “But saying ‘I don’t speak to him’ just doesn’t have the same impact as ‘he’s dead.’”
“Like I said I’m a private person. You say dead and people stop asking questions. You say estranged and a whole new set crop up.” He smirks, “It’s something like the looks you get when you call Victor ‘Dad’ and me ‘Pop’ when all of us are out together.”
“But it’s funny to watch them trying to work out which two of the three of you are a couple.”
“You really are evil baby.”
“The apple doesn’t fall from the tree.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he’s otherwise ready to leave for the night Tony grabs the Tupperware container from the lass batch of brownies Mrs. Howard made him and heads next door. As he’s emerging from his apartment Mrs. Macalister from across the hall gets off the elevator.
“Well hello there Honey, long time no see.”
Tony offers her a fairly insincere smile, “I’ve been busy. How have your husband and kids been?”
“Jerry is at work, as always. Parker and Emily are still away at boarding school. I’m almost always by myself these days. It’s a lonely life.”
“I’m sorry to hear that Mrs. Macalister.”
“What about you Honey, are you lonely tonight?”
“Not at all. I’m just dropping in on Mrs. Howard before I head over to my boyfriend’s. Miss L says she’s been worried about me since I’ve been spending so many nights at his place. Thought I’d reassure her that I’m alive and well.”
“Lucky boy.”
“Yes I am. He’s good for me. Nice and… settled.”
“It’s that so?” She clearly recognizes the subtle reference to her usual line of questioning.
He grins genuinely and nods, “Our friends keep calling us married.”
“How sweet.”
“Well, good night Mrs. Macalister.”
He doesn’t wait for a response just continues on to his intended destination.
“Anthony, you had me worried,” Mrs. Howard practically clucks as she hugs him.
“I didn’t mean to Mrs. H.”
“So which distraction is it that’s been keeping you away? Work or” she smirks, “Jethro?”
He blushes recalling all too late that the walls aren’t exactly sound proof, “A little work and a lot of nights with Jethro.”
“He is that handsome man that’s been picking you up out front the last few months, isn’t he?”
“That would be him.”
“And he treats you well?” Mrs. Howard has seen a two few many bruises on Tony to take this on faith.
“Like I’m his very own prince charming.”
“Oh really?”
“It’s what his daughter calls me when she’s trying to be discreet.”
“And how do you get along with her?”
“She’s convinced we’re as good as married already and keeps referring to me as her stepfather. And before you can ask, she’s thirty.”
“And does that bother you?”
“No, marrying Jethro would definitely be something I could get behind. And I adore Abby. I guess I‘m just with him when he tells her it‘s a little early for that. We know each other very well but that doesn‘t mean we know each other well enough. We‘re in that first flush of the relationship where everything is good and happy, no one fighting or bitching about wet towels on the floor.”
“He just drops them?”
“Not long term, no but the towel rack is right there, why not just hang it up?”
Mrs. Howard laughs, “Mention it and you might get your way.”
“How are the grandkids Mrs. H?”
“Spoiled as always.”
“Then you’re doing your job.”
“Run along now, you’ve got better things to do than gabber with me.”
“But I love gabbering with you Mrs. H. At the very least I need to give you back your dish.”
“That’s fine and well dear but you keep checking your watch, I suspect your Jethro is waiting for you.”
“Not yet, but if I’m to beat him home my window is closing.”
“Then off with you.”
“Night Mrs. H.”
Chapter End Notes:
The show implies that Gibbs is a Marine Reservist. I've gone with that. (Remember there is no such thing as an ex-marine once you gain the title it's yours.)
And after years of working for NCIS I figure Tony has to understand some of the nuances of Marine culture.