- Text Size +
Tony stretches happily and falls back into the sofa. “That went well.”
“You were definitely a hit.”
“I like your Dad.”
Gibbs smiles a bit reluctantly, “He liked you. You two discuss anything interesting?”
"I passed the interview and he didn’t manage to offend me Jethro. Count it as a win and forget about it.”
“I figured as much, I’m more worried about what he might have told you about me.”
“Jolene gave me more ammo than your dad on that front. Though I would like to hear more about the Charger.”
“Not much to tell really. Just a car I spent time restoring. Needed something to do and it was cheap. Never got it running, or painted for that matter.”
“If that was all why did Jolene seem resentful of it?”
“Because we were seventeen,” He shakes his head, “at that age girls think any boy that likes them should never pay attention to anything else.” There’s a long pause before Gibbs asks quietly, “Do you resent the boat?”
Tony gives him a withering look, “I love the boat and you know it.”
“And there you have the answer to why we work.”
Tony chuckles, “My affection for the boat huh? And here I thought it was because we understand and respect each other.”
“Who said anything about respect?”
“You did. Told my dad you love and respect me.”
“Damn, you caught me.”
“So are we doing the tourist routine with Jolene and Victor?”
“If you’re up for it, yeah. Thought I might ask Jackson along too.”
“A regular family outing.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday night finds them in the basement sitting arm’s length apart each sanding a section of the boat. It’s quiet and comfortable, at least at first. As time wears on Tony’s silence is noticeable to the point where Jethro physically stops his movements. “Something wrong Honeybuns?”
Tony smiles at the teasing, “Just thinking over the last few days.”
“I miss something?”
He shakes his head, “I guess it’s just hitting me… Your family actually likes me. You invited Jackson to join us for Christmas, not you but us, and he seemed happy about it.”
“You had some doubt? Thought maybe I came from a family with extremely poor taste?”
“One of those too good to be true things.”
“You’re Prince Charming, you’re pretty much guaranteed a happily ever after.”
“If we’re predicting on precedent I don’t like the way I’m supposed to get there.”
“Oh?”
“The King usual dies, leaving the Prince to take care of the Princess.”
“We’ll rewrite it.”
“We better. Baring some asshole with a grudge taking one or both of us out I expect you to be around a very long time.”
“Months, years,” There’s an obviously deliberate pause, “probably forever.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

McGee is already in, and frankly looks a little harried, when Tony arrives. “Not the Cleaver family Thanksgiving you were hoping for Probie?”
“My holiday went fine thanks. Aside from Sarah gloating about being right about you, that is.”
“Thought you said I wasn’t Agent Tommy.”
“That’s bullshit and everyone knows it,” McGee huffs irritably.
“Who burned your cookies McGrumpy?”
“Accounting sent back half my expense reports while we were away.” He sighs and shakes his head, “How’d things go with Jay’s family?”
Tony grins involuntarily, “His dad likes me.”
“It is serious then,” McGee grins back triumphantly.
Tony shakes his head, “I said it was didn’t I?”
“When do we get to meet him?”
Tony is saved from answering this by Ziva’s arrival. She looks like two miles of bad road and Tony is genuinely concerned when he asks her what’s wrong.
“My flight was delayed, I spent the night in the airport, was unable to sleep on the plane due to a crying infant and I have not been home yet.”
“Head home Ziva. Get some sleep. We’ll call when we need you.”
Tony risks a warning look at Jethro but gets a dismissive glance in return. So he goes on the offensive, “Had a good vacation Boss?”
“I did, DiNozzo.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby comes upstairs around ten and offers Gibbs a sunny smile and a kiss on the cheek, “Can I borrow Tony for a while?”
“For work or gossip?”
“We can multitask.”
Gibbs gives one of his barely there half smiles and shakes his head, “Go play already.”
Abby grabs Tony’s hand, “Come on, you’ve got to tell me all about meeting Jay’s family.”
In the elevator Tony laughs at her, “Because you didn’t have a good enough view from across the table?”
“Because you spent time with Grandpa Jack while I was at home with Mom and Dad.”
“I like him. And he seemed to approve of me.”
“He looked scared half to death when you just casually mentioned that you’d had the plague Tony.”
He blushes just a bit, “I forget that it isn’t the kind of thing that happens to normal people.”
“I don’t know if I’m supposed to laugh or hug you right now.”
“Hug me. We’ll both enjoy that." He kisses her cheek as they hug, “Thanks Princess. How’d it go with your parents?”
“I had fun. Any excuse to see my mom really. And we all had a good laugh at you panicking over how fast Mom was signing.”
“That woman is pure evil. So what did you need my help on?”
“I need to test the length of time it would take to snap a frayed safety line under the pressure caused by supporting an adult male.”
“You need me to hang from a rope until it breaks dropping me to the floor basically.”
“But you’ll only need to fall an inch or two.”
“The things I do for beautiful women.”
“Like you wouldn’t do the same for a beautiful man.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cynthia grins conspiratorially as she enters Jenny’s office, “God bless the boys in the mailroom. Anna Thompson is in fact getting married and I finally got something interesting on Tony.”
Jenny gives her full attention at that, “Interesting how?”
“Seems the reason no one knows about Tony’s new girl is that it isn’t a girl.”
“You’re sure?”
“It explains his reaction to me assuming it was Abby he’s seeing.”
“But DiNozzo? Chase anything in a skirt Tony DiNozzo?” Jenny asks incredulously.
“It makes a certain amount of sense.”
“I don’t follow.”
“It’s misdirection. If he shows you what you expect to see you tend to assume that it’s all there is to see.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenny summons him with an email that is clearly meant to be a friendly appeal but reads more as a command around noon. On a whim he knocks before entering, but only just. “You wanted to speak to me?”
“I was concerned about Ziva. Cynthia tells me you sent her home. Was she ill?”
“Just a little jet lagged and sleep deprived. They’re of no use to me if they fall asleep at their desks.”
She’s momentarily speechless in the face of that statement, “You really are happy.”
“There was some question?”
“It’s just… a surprise I suppose. I take it your holiday went well?”
“Made up with my father and everything.”
“I suppose Abby orchestrated that?”
“You know Abbs,” He smiles fondly, “couldn’t let me just go on not speaking to him.”
“And did he like your new lady friend?”
“You’re fishing again Jenny.”
She gives a tiny nod of confirmation, “I’m just concerned about you.”
“I’m a grown man Jenny, no need to be concerned for me.” He doesn’t give her a chance to respond, just heads back to his own desk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A collective six cold case reviews, and a useful result to Abby’s experiment later Tony and McGee are packing up to leave for the day when McGee turns to Tony, “Wanna grab a beer? I could use some advice.”
Tony makes eye contact with Gibbs for a second before nodding, “Sure Timmy. I’ll meet you downstairs in ten. Need to make a call first.”
“Tell Jay I say hi.”
“Sure thing.” A moment’s consideration sends him into the break room to avoid someone overhearing both sides of the conversation. “I assume you heard?”
“I did.”
“I might end up having to drive him home, depending on what he needs advice on. Want me to just crash at my place tonight?”
“Do I want you to? No. But maybe you should.”
“If I can get away before nine I’ll be home. If not I’ll go to the apartment.”
“Fair enough. Love you.”
“Love you too. Cross your fingers that he doesn’t want advice about coming out.”
“Makes him nervous enough to be a possibility you know.”
“Don’t remind me. I’ll call if I’m not coming home.” Before he can lose his resolve he hangs up and heads down to where McGee is waiting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It takes less than fifteen minutes alone in the house for the silence to begin to bother Gibbs. It’s not a unique occurrence, it’s why he used to listen to the farm report, it just used to take longer. Tony’s absence is glaringly conspicuous after a full nine days in his company. The boat doesn’t help and the sound on the TV in the basement has become distant and scratchy as the set has aged. All of which results in Gibbs sitting on the sofa in the den with his book and a horribly cheesy James Bond movie on the TV.
Of course without Tony’s little sounds of amusement, disappointment and envy the movie just isn’t the same. All of which makes Gibbs especially grateful for Liz’s uncanny ability to call at just the right time. Still, it’s best not to show his hand too soon, lest Liz gloat through out the whole conversation.
“Gibbs.”
“Don’t be like that LJ. I know you’ve got caller ID.”
“Force of habit. To what do I owe the pleasure?”
“We’ll get to that, first how did Thanksgiving with Tony go?”
“It was good. Everyone loved him of course. And Abs insists on working miracles.”
“Made you talk to your dad, huh?”
“Jackson and I made up, yeah. That girl is tenacious as hell when she wants something and this time she wanted her family back.”
“You’ve missed him LJ and don’t think you can lie to me about it. You were mad, you probably still are, but you did miss him.”
“Maybe I did. But I would have gone on not speaking to him all the same if Abby hadn’t made it otherwise.”
“True enough, you have always been a stubborn bastard.”
“And how was your holiday Elizabeth?”
“My mother carefully avoided the topic of my love life, Aunt Catherine kept making statements about how I let myself get too old to have children like she isn’t an old spinster herself, and Bradley moped because his ex had the kids this year.”
“So a typical holiday in the Strafton house.”
“Exactly.”
“That’s not why you called though.”
“You know me too well Jethro.”
“Margaret wants to buy a house. Together.”
“I thought you were happy with Margaret.”
“I am happy with Margaret, but isn’t too soon? I mean I only split up with Lauren eighteen months ago. You’re the expert on break ups but I just don’t think it’s been long enough.”
“Are you not ready to make that kind of commitment to her?”
“I don’t know.” Liz admits quietly.
“Don’t do that to her Liz. It’s not about Lauren and you know it. Whatever it is just tell Margaret the truth.”
“You really don’t care what it is, do you?”
“Not in the slightest. I’m here for you but that doesn’t mean I’m suddenly one of the girls.”
“I should have called Tony. He wouldn’t pull this falsely macho bullshit,” She sniff theatrically.
“No he’d just make understanding noises while signing for me to get him a beer and give him a scalp massage.”
“You’re evil. And where is the stud muffin tonight?”
“McGee needed his advice. Not sure if he’s coming home tonight or not yet.”
“You’re miserable, aren’t you?”
He allows himself a heavy sigh, “Yup.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So what burning question do you need my expert advice on?” Tony asks as their beers arrive.
“I got a job offer.”
“Okay. And?”
“I’m not taking it. I’m not even considering it. But should I tell Gibbs? That I got the offer in the first place I mean.”
“That depends on who made you the offer.”
“A data encryption and security firm called HG Clemment’s. They handle data security for a number of banks and investment firms.”
Tony shakes his head, laughing at himself for ever suspecting it might be something else. “My rule of thumb Probie is if they’re trying to trade on knowledge you gained working here or if it’s another agency looking to snatch up an asset you tell the boss immediately. If on the other hand they genuinely want you on your own merits it’s totally your call. And this sounds like the latter to me.”
“Would you tell him?”
“Yeah,” He just catches himself before he says too much. “I’ve worked for Gibbs a long time now and I prefer his trust to keeping my private life private. That being said as long as you’re not actively hiding something or lying I doubt he’d give a damn about this. In fact he probably knows about it and figures you haven’t mentioned it because it isn’t important. Don’t stress yourself out over it McTwitchy, it’s really not a big deal.”
“Do you ever get offers?”
“Not as often as I get phone numbers, but sure. Once or twice a year a private security firm asks me to dinner and every once in a while some idiot tries to entice me to join the FBI or on one notable occasion the INS. Gibbs laughed at that one. Asked what they needed with an undercover man.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The phone rings three times before it’s answered and it’s long enough for McGee to figure out where he is and inexpertly place himself in ease dropping distance. Tony doesn’t exactly blame him. “Hey sweetchecks.”
“We got an audience?”
“Absolutely. Tim and I ordered bar food. I’ll come around at eight thirty, unless you’d rather come to mine?”
“This you asking that we stay at the apartment tonight?”
“Might be better if we did, yeah.”
“I’ll be there before you get home. Got any coffee in or do I need to pick some up?”
“I don’t think there’s any left. If you’ll do a quick grocery run I’ll make pancakes, eggs and bacon.”
“Actually I think I’ll cook for you this time Babe.”
“You are too good to me. See you later then.”
“Love you.”
“And I love you.”
“And if you can catch him at it smack McGee.”
Tony laughs and hangs up before returning inside. “Jay seems to think I need to relay a message to you for him. He says ‘try it and I’ll break your hands’.”
McGee turns an alarming shade of red, “What? No! I mean- not that there would be anything wrong- you know I’m not.”
Tony laughs again, “Calm down McHetero, it was a joke.”
It takes a very long moment but eventually McGee asks, “Your joke or his?”
“Mine. Jay knows he’s the only one for me, it probably wouldn’t even occur to him to make jokes about it being otherwise. Besides, how would he know it’d freak you out to suggest you had ill advised designs on me?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of high heels on linoleum is so common place in a supermarket he doesn’t notice her until she calls out, “Jethro?”
He steels himself, settling his mask back into place before he turns, “Jenny.”
“You’re a little far from home.”
“Was passing this way and stopped in to pick up a few things.”
“She lives around here then?”
Deciding to humor her a bit, he smiles a little, “Close, yeah.”
“And you’re making her breakfast.”
“Breakfast in bed as a matter of fact. You can never go wrong with a touch of romance.”
“On a workday though, I’m surprised.”
“We seem to do alright with it. Having a well developed habit of being up with the sun does occasionally work in my favor.”
Jenny seems at a loss with that one and he seizes her indecision.
“Nice seeing you Jenny but I really need to get going.”
“Have a nice night Jethro.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenny doesn’t deliberately follow him, but when she notices they’re going the same way she watches to see if she knows the building where he stops. Something about it is familiar, but she can’t quite place it. Still she takes note of the address and continues on her way, sure that whatever it is she’ll remember given time.
The neighborhood isn’t what she’d have expected of Jethro’s girlfriend but she can admit, if only to herself, that she’s expected that he’s fallen for someone very much like herself. The building suggests someone more of a like mind with Jethro than a strong woman who takes control to prove she deserves her place in a man’s world. Which makes sense. Jethro isn’t the type to stand back and support someone else’s success. If he can’t actively affect the outcome he’s more likely to stay out of the situation entirely. He’s a man of action.
Speculation isn’t getting her any further now than it has in the past few weeks, and perhaps Cynthia will know why the address is familiar to her. In either case, it can wait until morning.
Chapter End Notes:
Hi y'all. Sorry I didn't get this up last night when it went up on AO3, I got distracted. And then I re-injured my dominant hand... Long story short- sorry for the wait.