- Text Size +
Despite sleeping on the sofa Tony is the last to wake up and finds himself a little disappointed not to find his coffee already doctored to his preference. Still he takes a seat and stifles a yawn.
“You with us now DiNozzo?”
“Present and accounted for Boss.”
“Our flight out doesn’t leave until three so I’ve arranged for some office space so we can all get our reports done. Pack up and we’ll head over.”
“Reports. Oh joy.” The head slap is an honest reprimand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby waits until she knows her grandfather will have the shop closed for lunch to call as she wants his full attention. She knows his reaction is important and she refuses to mess this up. He answers on the third ring. “Hi Grandpa Jack.”
“Sweetheart, to what do I owe this pleasure?”
“I want to invite you to Thanksgiving dinner, but we need to talk about Pop first.”
“Does your father know you’re inviting me?”
“Yes. But he wants me to make it clear that just because he’s willing to see you, speak to you, doesn’t mean he’s forgiven you.”
“That sounds like my boy.”
“That’s not all.”
“Didn’t think for a minute it would be.”
She glances once again to make sure both doors are secure. “You know Pop… Walks both sides of the street, right Grandpa?”
“Yes Abigail I know my son is bisexual.”
“Good, good. Have I ever told you about Tony?”
Jackson laughs, “If by told you mean babbled like a school girl with a crush, then yes you’ve told me about Tony.”
“I sooo do not have a crush on Tony.”
“You talk about him like he hung the moon Sweetheart.”
“I didn’t say I don’t like Tony. He’s great. Sweet, funny, loyal, caring, smart and I admit, he has a great ass. But he’s Tony.” She hesitates, “And he’s Daddy’s.”
There’s a long silence before Jackson speaks again, “Oh. I thought he worked for Jethro.”
“He does.” She bites her lip, “Sort of. I’d say he works with Pop. They’re partners. In all senses. Is that going to be a problem for you Jack?”
“That my boy has taken up with a man? No, it’s not a problem. That he’s taking advantage of his position? That’s a bit of a problem.”
“He’s not taking advantage of Tony. Tony pursued Pop. And it doesn’t effect them at work. Well Daddy smiles more, but he doesn‘t treat Tony any differently. And Tony never tries to trade on their relationship.”
“Okay Sweetheart, I get it.”
“You won’t cause them any trouble? Or purposely embarrass Pop?”
“But it’s my job as a father to tell all the embarrassing stories from his childhood to his new squeeze baby girl.”
“Stay away from the ones about old girlfriends at least.”
“Fair enough. Where exactly are you holding this feast?”
“Pop’s. It’s the same house he had when…”
“You would have really liked her Sweetheart.”
“I know Grandpa. Will you bring anything? Tony’s making a sweet potato pie.”
“I’ll make some cornbread, my mother’s recipe. It was one of your father’s favorite when he was little. How many people will be there?”
“Six of us.”
“Perfect. I need to reopen the store Sweetheart, I’ll talk to you again this weekend, alright?”
“Absolutely. Love you Grandpa.”
“Love you too Abby.” Abby hangs up grinning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost immediately upon entering the plane Tony shutters. This he supposes, is the middle ground between real seats in a cargo hauler and canvass ones in a cargo hold. The bench seats don’t seem particularly comfortable but all four of them could lay down if they so wished. Once again he settles beside Gibbs leaving Ziva and McGee across the way. Once their bags are secured and they’re strapped in for take off Ziva directs a curious look at Gibbs, “What will happen to Chief Warrant Officer Bowen?”
“She’ll be tried for the assaults. Her attorney will probably strike a deal because of the attack on her. She’ll end up spending three years in prison and be dishonorably discharged. Nesting will receive a much harsher sentence for the rape. Once he’s out of the infirmary.”
“And Agent Harper?” McGee ventures.
“Will be placed with a more experienced agent to be retrained.”
“If he doesn’t quit outright and run to hide in the coattails over at the FBI,” Tony offers with a snicker.
“Certainly wouldn’t be the first,” Gibbs allows.
After a moments thoughtful silence Ziva asks McGee to explain the traditional celebration of Thanksgiving. Possibly because neither has to shout to be heard and the discussion is at least marginally topical.
That suits Tony just fine. After an insight like last night’s ‘were the women always a cover’ he’s glad to be off her radar for awhile. Gibbs pulls out a pen and his notebook. At Tony’s inquisitive expression he shrugs, “Shopping list for Thanksgiving. Indulging Abbs requires planning.”
With an acknowledging nod Tony pulls the half finished crossword from the morning paper out of his bag and continues working on it.
He’s doing his best to solve the last clue when McGee raises his voice to be heard, “What about you Tony, do you have Thanksgiving plans?”
“I’ve had a few invitations.”
“Your mystery woman?”
“Does not exist. My parents, two of my frat buddies, a couple of other friends…” He shoots them a cheeky grin, “I’m a popular boy.”
“You’re not going to your parents?” McGee asks as though that’s a capital offense.
“Wasn’t a sincere invitation.” Deciding to redirect attention he shoots back, “What about you Probie? Going home to get pinched by the aunts and told what a big boy you’ve become?”
McGee looks a little wistful at that. “Probably not. It’s a long drive for one day. But when we do celebrate it’s just my immediate family. We do the traditional thing. You know, turkey, football, pumpkin pie.”
“And what is our crazy assassin going to do?”
“I do not know. It is not a holiday I am familiar with. And no one has invited me to any celebration. I am evidently not so popular as you are Tony.”
“It takes Charm, good looks and time,” Tony teases in return. “What about you Boss? Abby rope you into anything weird?”
Gibbs gives one of his famous glares, though Tony sees the humor in it. “Do I look like the kind of guy who goes in for that new age crap DiNozzo?”
“No Boss. But Abbs can be from time to time.”
Silence settles once more and Tony shifts until he’s laying along the bench to catch some more sleep.
Gibbs watches Tony settle and considers the question in earnest. The traditions he knows, that he’s been a part of, are all pretty normal. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Turkey. Football. Involuntary naps due to too much turkey. All topped off with pie and some goodbye hugging. Of course this year there were a number of new factors. He’d never brought a date to a Thanksgiving celebration before, or had his father attend a Scuito family gathering. He’d never been the primary architect of the meal before either, hence the shopping list he was making out three weeks in advance. Tony’d mentioned not having had a family Thanksgiving in a long while. Was Gibbs just imagining the wistfulness of that statement or was their a story behind it? Tony shifts in his sleep, wrapping a hand around Gibbs’ knee. Deciding for once to just go with what feels good Gibbs rests a hand on the back of Tony’s neck and lets himself fall asleep.
The change in pressure as they begin their descent wakes them both. Reluctantly they return to a more conventional seating arrangement.
“Are you coming home with me tonight?” Gibbs asks under cover of the plane’s engines.
“I need to move more work clothes to your place,” Tony returns at the same low volume after glance over at Ziva and McGee. “Why don’t we stay at the apartment tonight and I’ll pack a bigger bag?”
“It’s a deal.” Noting that they are approaching their destination he raises his voice to address the whole team, “I’ve requested the week of Thanksgiving off for the whole team, so barring a major terrorist attack you’re free and clear.”
“We need to thank Abbs, don’t we Boss?” Tony asks with a chuckle.
“She did insist.”
When they’ve escaped to the privacy of the car Tony shoots Gibbs an accusatory look, “Have you hidden Sheppard’s body and convinced Cynthia to sign documents for you? You got the whole team a holiday week off?”
“She’s still in shock over my being Abby’s father. Can’t look me in the eye. And besides with the exception of Ziva none of us has taken more than two days vacation at a time in years.”
“Clearly Abby and I should have ganged up on you about down time a long time ago.”
“Don’t get too used to it. Jenny will have recovered by the time it comes around to Christmas duty roosters. We’ll at least end up on call.”
“Maybe not. You never know, she might try what Ziva and McGee were accusing me of. Butter up the kid to get to… well ‘Pop’ in this case.”
“That’d be a hard sell, seeing as Abbs wouldn’t mind seeing her burned at the stake as a witch…”
“So, is Thanksgiving some grand affair in your family, requiring the extra days?”
“Not really. I thought, if you end up liking them, we might do some of the Smithsonian with Jolene and Victor one day. But mostly I wanted to be with you and thought McGee might appreciate the chance to take his kid sister home for Thanksgiving.”
“I knew that girl was too young for him.”
“I thought it was too pretty.”
“Couldn’t very well say to Ziva ‘Tim wouldn’t chase jailbait’ and even if I had, she wouldn’t get it.” Tony’s stomach growls. “Does Mr. Yoshida do take out?”
“Nope. If you want sushi we’ll have to eat there.”
“What do you say? It’s a Monday night, we might bump into Ernie.”
“Fine with me, but come hell or high water we’re leaving in two hours. I’ve missed you.”
“No argument from me.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Forget it Jethro, it’s not happening. No one and I mean no one is buzzing my hair. Beyond the fact that I’d look awful Jasmine would shoot me,” Tony declares as they arrive at his apartment.
“Jasmine?”
“My stylist, despite what you seem to think it takes careful control to keep my hair the right length for the ‘contrived chaos’ look. And the way you’re always petting my hair proves you like it.”
“What if I just like you?”
“No doubt about that one,” Tony smiles and pulls Gibbs into a deep enthusiastic kiss.
Someone clears their throat in the living room doorway, “Anthony?”
Tony almost literally jumps at that before turning around. “Dad?! What the hell are you doing here?”
Gibbs tenses immediately ready to protect Tony at any cost.
“You’ve been avoiding my calls and declining my invitations Anthony. I just wish to speak with you.”
Tony considers his father for a moment before nodding slightly, “Have a seat in the living room we’ll make some coffee and join you in a moment.”
Seeming to sense the danger in the situation Mr. DiNozzo does as he’s told. As he does Gibbs’ defensive posture backs down a bit. Tony tows Gibbs into the kitchen. “Guess I beat you to the ‘meet the parents’ punch after all.” He turns on the coffee maker and pulls Gibbs close. “Before you go in there looking for a fist fight you need to understand something. He’s never laid a hand on me. He never let the step moms or the nannies hit me. He just didn’t give a damn about me. Especially once I was old enough to think for myself. The point being if you hit him he will press charges. I won’t tell you not to do it, but I did warn you.”
“I never had any intention of hitting him Tony. Scaring a few years off his life on the other hand…”
Tony chuckles, “Aim for the wallet. It’s his vulnerable spot.”
As they enter the living room Gibbs makes a point of keeping his free hand on the small of Tony’s back. The proprietary gesture is not missed by either man. Tony shoots him an amused smile. Dominic DiNozzo on the other hand is clearly not pleased.
“First things first. Dad this is Jethro, my lover. Jethro this is Dominic, my dad.” They exchange a wary hand shake. Tony just shakes his head. “Now what is so important that my being out of town for a couple days necessitates a personal visit?”
“Jessica was hurt by your absence on Saturday. And Tammy said you’d taken up with a man who had a grown child.” Tony has to hand it to him, if he didn’t know any better he’d have said it was the grown child and not the man that bothered him.
“Now I see why Jessica missed me, we have so many things in common.”
“It’s not the same thing Anthony.”
“Really? How old did Jessica turn on Saturday Dad?”
“Thirty six.”
“And how old am I?”
“Forty.”
Tony doesn’t say anything more to that. “If you wouldn’t mind could we bring this around to the real reason you’re here? Between the cross country flight and the sake my patience is pretty thin just now.”
After a long level gaze Dominic drops the mask of civility and sits forward, “Since when are you gay Anthony?”
“Since an hour after the home coming game in 1983. Team captain and I had a little private party to celebrate the victory.” Tony grins helplessly over the memory of that fumbling encounter. It hadn’t been the first time he’d been lingering in the locker room to enjoy the view. It was however the first time he noticed someone else doing the same.
“That’s ridiculous Anthony. You almost knocked up that cute little cheerleader. What was her name Michelle? Micah? Melisa?”
“Denise. And no I did not. Her father found us sitting beside his shed at three in the morning and assumed. It was good for both our reputations if we didn’t deny it, so we didn’t. A few well placed rumors will make anyone believe whatever you want them to.”
“Are you trying to ruin me Anthony?”
“What?!”
“We’re under intense scrutiny because of the Jamison Tech merger. I must have been asked twenty times why you didn’t attend Saturday.”
“Tell them you disowned me when I was twelve. It’s the truth.”
“Damn it boy, I don’t ask you to tow the line very often but for some reason my new bride has taken a liking to you. Can’t you just pretend to be the dutiful son for one month? A party or two, Thanksgiving diner. Do this for me and you’re back in the will Anthony.”
Tony laughs harshly, “Because I care about your money.”
“You should!” Dominic shouts angrily. “Look where shunning it has gotten you! You’re a god damned civil servant relying on a sugar daddy!”
To the surprise of both DiNozzo men Gibbs laughs uproariously. “I’m nobody’s sugar daddy sir. I’m a ‘god damned civil servant’ myself. If I was keeping him he sure as hell wouldn‘t be living in this neighborhood.”
“There’s nothing wrong with my neighborhood Jethro.”
“Bullshit Tony. Do I need to have the princess pull up the crime statistics for this block?”
“You can’t keep me under lock and key J.” In a moment of inspiration the perfect words to make his father bolt from the apartment occur to him. “Well you could I suppose, actually. But I’m not into that. Too passive.”
Dominic does indeed stare in wide eyed horror, but makes no move for the door.
“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Gibbs assures. “If nothing else the marks would be too hard to hide.”
“Thought you liked marking me.”
Sensing the role he’s meant to play here Gibbs grins lecherously, “With my teeth and tongue I like marking you. Bruising any of that pretty skin with cold restraining metal just doesn’t appeal to me Honey buns.”
After giving a reward of a long, slow, passionate kiss Tony once again focuses on the situation at hand. “I neither want nor need your money Dominic. If I were desperate enough to take money from the family Aunt Francesca has offered me loans time and time again. Now if all you want is to convince me to leave my family for three weeks to increase the share price of your company you can get the hell out. If there was anything else you needed to say to me out with it please.”
Dominic heaves a long sigh, “The reason Jessica was so intent on you attending her birthday gala was that she wanted me to tell you before we publicly announce it. In seven months time you’ll have a younger sibling Anthony. Jessica’s pregnant.”
All the color drains from Tony’s face as his eyes go wide. “A baby… Talk about being an older brother.”
“Yes exactly. Jessica wants our child to know their brother.”
Gibbs runs a reassuring hand up and down Tony’s back, “You okay Tony?”
“Shock I think,” Tony murmurs leaning into his lover. He’d known, intellectually, that a man in his sixties could father a child as easily as a man in his twenties, but the fact that his father had in fact done so was still enough to rock his foundations. He manages to gather his wits enough to formulate a pertinent question. “What do you expect of me in this Dad? An on call baby sitter? A place to shrug off your parental responsibilities?”
“Me? I want to make my bride happy. My Jessica on the other hand wants you to be friendly with your new sibling. Supportive. Affectionate I suppose.”
Tony feels like the weight of the world has just fallen on his shoulders. He’s not surprised but highly pleased when Gibbs muscles in to help him with the load, physically and emotionally. “What do you want Tony?” He shifts until he’s sitting behind Tony holding him around the middle.
“Right now? Time to think.” With a pat to one of the hands resting on his stomach he addresses his father again. “I have prior engagements to my family for the thanksgiving season. Besides which I need to take some time and figure out exactly what I’m hoping for here. If I’ve made a decision in time for the St. Cecelia’s foundation fundraiser I will attend. Barring any comment from you in regards to my attire, attitude or escort of course.”
“You wouldn’t dare, not at a church function,” Dominic hisses furiously.
“I wouldn’t dare? I have seen the very depths of human depravity. No nun with a ruler or priest with idle threats and abject lessons is going to change who I am. Think of it this way: Jethro and I are a package deal. You can’t have one without the other. Still need me to befriend your new child?”
“Very well. Tammy will be in touch.”
“You let yourself in, surely you can find your own way out,” Tony allows his tone to voice his displeasure at that little turn of events.
An acknowledging nod with a surprising amount of grace and civility accompanies Dominic out of the apartment. They sit in silence for a brief time before Tony heaves a put upon sigh, “Never can have a dull week, can we?”
“Hey, we’re exciting guys,” The teasing does its job, Tony chuckles. “So do you want to talk about what the hell just happened or do you want to catch some sleep first?”
“I don’t know what to think, or what to feel.” He rearranges them until they are laying across the length of the sofa. “My first stepmother… She was a piece of work. Dad’s always had a taste for younger women who like expensive gifts. He was thirty four, she was twenty two. She was a social butterfly, always planning some party or outing. That didn’t for one second mean she didn’t have her eye on the prize. She convinced my father that if he gave me access to any of his money I’d piss it away just to spite him. Evidently Dad saw merit in the argument. Next thing you know I’m out of the will. Still living under his roof, being taken care of by his staff, but technically disowned. Less than a year later Marley was out on her ass with a lot less money then she thought she’d get. Dad’s accountant is a smart cookie and most of his assets are tied up in Harcourt so the wives can’t touch them. That pretty much set the tone for the next two. Then three years ago he met Jessica. I didn’t bother getting to know her. After all I usually only communicate with Dad via the telephone, and even that is infrequent. He did manage to guilt me into attending the wedding. Jess and I hit it off. I think, if she weren’t my latest stepmother I might consider her a friend. Or I would have, before she outright demanded I pose with her for the Post. She’s a good person. Nice, funny, civic minded. She’s also very concerned with image, which is what this is really about.” He sighs and then yawns. “I suppose I want to know my little brother or sister but will they even be able to relate to me on those terms? And I know I’m whining but this is too much.”
“I won’t say you’re not whining-”
“Hey!”
Gibbs continues over the interjection. “-but you have every right to whine. You just had a hell of a lot dropped on you. And I don’t have the kind of experience to say something really useful here. Maybe you don’t need to force yourself into a traditional big brother role. You could try just being a friend. But you should talk to somebody with siblings. Maybe Abbs. And no matter what you say to your father you have years to work this out.”
“You always come up with the best plans.”
“I try.”
“Which makes it my turn to come up with a plan, huh?”
“If you say so.”
“Okay, so here’s my plan: We go in the bedroom, get naked, have sex. Sleep for two to three hours. Have a quick snack and some more sex. Go back to sleep until 0500. Still more sex and a shower before we have to leave for work.”
“Missed me a little?”
“Like you didn’t miss me right back.”
A warm laugh marks their passage into the bed room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: No Tony and Gibbs will not be ending up with Dominic DiNozzo’s child. Gibbs meant it about never being a daddy again.
Chapter End Notes:
Chapter 6 ahead of schedule. Enjoy.