- Text Size +
Tony pops his neck and takes his coffee into the living room to watch the morning news. He looks over his shoulder as Gibbs comes in to join him and notices the flashing light on the answering machine. When the news ends he plays them.
“You have five new messages. First message. Anthony?… I need to speak to you Anthony. Call me back.” His father. Tony hits delete. “Message deleted. Second message. Hey Tony. Out of town again? Call me or Stevie, Mark’s tying the knot.” He leaves that one.
“Frat buddies?” Gibbs asks from the doorway.
“Yup.”
“Third message. Anthony? Really Anthony this is childish.” Another delete. “Message deleted. Fourth message. Hello Mr. DiNozzo, my name is Emily and I’m with Bellson security-” He cuts that one off. “Message deleted. Fifth message. Hey man, Brandon here, we playing ball this week? Talk to you when I talk to you.”
“You play on Thursdays don’t you?”
“Brandon keeps expecting me to ditch him. Can’t hide the hickeys when I’m playing ball. He wants an early heads up if I am so he can get somebody else out to play.”
“Have you ditched him before?”
“No, but I’ve never given up a name for who I was seeing before either. And I got a little pissy with him when he tried to use it to psych me out.”
“In other words he’s perpetually single and figures you’re going to disappear now that there’s someone waiting for you.”
Tony shrugs, “I can see how, if you’re not getting any, it seems like a choice between basketball and sex. Like being there precludes the possibility of sex that day.”
Gibbs shakes his head and gives Tony a quick pat on the ass, “Better get moving, I hear your boss is a really hard ass who won’t appreciate you being late.”
“You doing a personal coffee run on your way in or should I pick up a round of caffeine for all?”
“I could scare the shit out of McGee and be the one to buy for everyone.”
“We don’t need him fainting. Just pick up yours and get Abby a caff-pow! I’ll fend for myself today.”
“You don’t have to,” Gibbs assures him.
“You’re not my sugar daddy Jethro, you don’t have to take care of me. Besides I have a lot of goofing off to do today if we don’t get a new case so you won’t want to much longer anyway.”
“I’ll always want to take care of you, Tony. Sometimes that includes smacking you upside the head to wake you up a bit.”
Tony draws Gibbs into a pleased kiss, “Head on out. I’ll be on my way once I’ve talked to Brandon.”
“Tell him I like a little time on my own. Not much mind you, but enough for a few games of ball certainly.”
“Possessive bastard like you? He won’t believe it.”
“Just how much have you told him?”
“We talk. He doesn’t know enough to get either of us fired, but I talk to him. He’s a friend. And you mark me like I’m about to take off running, anyone could see you’re possessive.”
“I wasn’t worried about my job Tony. I’m worried one of your friends thinks I’m some possessive Neanderthal that’s gonna beat the shit out of him if he touches you the wrong way.”
“Not at all. Like I said we talk. He knows you’d protect me just as fiercely as you love me. Just like he knows you mark me for me, not to warn others off.”
“Oh I don’t know about that.”
“That reminds me, Ziva guessed last night that I’m dating Princess’ dad. Think she still has no idea Abby is Princess but that’s okay. She seemed very accepting. Maybe even happy for me.”
“Good, I was hoping she’d be open minded about it.”
“We really do need to get moving.”
“I’m going to stop in and talk to Ducky so you might beat me upstairs.”
“Noted,” Tony waves a hand toward the door as he’s picking up the phone. “Hey Brandon.”
“Tony, how you doing?”
“I’m great man. What about you?”
“It’s been a great week. Got that promotion.”
“Congratulations. So is there some reason we wouldn’t be playing ball?”
“Just thought the boyfriend would want you home.”
Tony laughs, “Jethro does not need to see me twenty four hours a day Bran. He’ll welcome a couple of hours without me. He likes a little quiet now and again. He already warned his daughter away and everything.”
“Good enough for me man. See you Thursday around seven.”
“Later.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“’Morning Pop.”
“Good morning baby girl,” Gibbs offers Abby her drink and a kiss on her cheek. “Just a heads up, Tony’s going to want to talk to you about having a little brother. His dad turned up last night, his current wife is pregnant.”
“Isn’t that a really big age gap?”
“Welcome to the modern American family.”
“How’s Tony taking it?”
“He has no idea what to feel about it. That’s part of why I suggested he talk to you. After all he declined his father‘s thanksgiving invitation due to a prior commitment to his family.”
“He did?” She practically squeals with joy. “Good. Of course I’ll be there for him. Who else is he going to talk to, you’re an only child after all.”
He hugs her, “Thank you Abbs. I’ll be down with Ducky if you need me.”
He makes sure his scowl is firmly in place in anticipation of the need to run Palmer off. And it works very well, upon seeing him Palmer turns and hurries out the other door. Ducky shakes his head when Gibbs chuckles. “Jethro if you keep deliberately scaring the boy he will never develop a spine. Or is that the point, to keep him terrified of you permanently?”
“No, the point is for him, and McGee for that matter, to develop some backbone. And for him to leave the room when I want him to in the mean time.”
“Has something happened to Anthony?” The deep concern, while uncalled for, is appreciated.
“Not exactly Ducky.”
“Please tell me you didn’t pick some petty fight with him Jethro.”
“We are not fighting. I was late this morning because of how well we’re getting along.” He sighs, “Last night when we arrived at Tony’s place his father was waiting for him.”
Ducky laughs, “Tried to scare you off, did he?”
“Well yes in a manner of speaking. He started quizzing Tony about ‘suddenly’ being gay. But the real reason he turned up was he had some delicate family news. Tony’s current stepmother is pregnant.”
“How did Anthony take the news?”
“He has no idea what to think or feel about it. And I don’t blame him. If Tony was half as promiscuous as he pretends to be he could be a grandfather himself by now. I think it never occurred to him that he might be an older brother out of the blue like this.”
“That is a rather striking age difference.”
“You should have heard his father Duck. The man didn’t even see his son. It was the first time in years I’ve wanted to just beat the shit out of somebody without any specific goal in mind. He kept going on about how his wife is worried about how it would look in the society pages, their child not knowing his or her half-brother. How in the hell don’t they see how special Tony is?”
“Why does any parent under value their child? No one knows the answer to that one Jethro.” Ducky chuckles at the scowl Gibbs shoots his way over the non-answer. “The damage Mr. DiNozzo has done to his son is what it is. You can’t undo it. All you can do is support young Anthony.”
“And if I’m not cut out for the job? I just sat there while that jackass made him feel small.”
“You cannot protect him from everything old friend. What did you do after Mr. DiNozzo’s departure?”
“I held him while we talked about it.”
“And did he want you to intervene with his father?”
“No. He didn’t outright say it but he advised me against starting a fist fight.”
“Then you did the right thing.”
Clearly not completely convinced but glad of the reassurance Gibbs gives Ducky a pat on the shoulder on his way out of the morgue, “Thanks Duck.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony decides on his way upstairs to take Abby to lunch rather than attempting to complete their discussion before they’re interrupted so when he reaches the bullpen he goes immediately to his desk. A glance around reveals he’s the first one here, he’s sure Gibbs is down stairs but the pile of morning mail in the center of the desk suggests he hasn’t stopped here yet. As does the yellow rose on top of the stack. He does a double take at that but McGee’s arrival keeps him from snooping. Instead he dials Abby’s extension. “Hey Abbs.”
“Hi Tony. What can I do for you this fine morning?”
“Wanna have lunch with me today? I could use some advice.”
“Nice misdirect there. Sure. I’ll come up around 12:30. You okay?”
“Just have a lot on my mind. We’ll talk at lunch.”
McGee looks over when he hangs up, his unease clear as day. “You aren’t really seeing Abby are you? I mean you’ve been spending a lot of time in her lab and those roses were from her favorite florist…”
“No McNosey I am not dating Abigail Scuito. You know what it feels like to have a little sister McGee?” Tony’s expression doesn’t give away even a hint that he knows about McGee’s little sister.
“Yes Tony. I have a younger sister, I know how it feels.”
“Well I don’t. But what I feel for Abby… I imagine it’s close to that. Maybe a little too protective for that, but close. Besides, I‘m nobody‘s toy.”
“You can never be too protective of a little sister. They usually need it.” He studies Tony for a moment, “Did something happen? Did she break up with you?”
“For the millionth time there is no she. Not that it’s any of your business but I got some news from my father. I want to talk it over with my friend. Is that a problem?”
“Sorry Tony. It’s just… Ziva’s right you and Abby have been really close lately.”
“We’ve been clubbing together,” Tony lies easily. “We’ve been trying to woo this pair of twins at club Emerald but they won’t give us the time of day.”
McGee’s disbelieving retort is cut off when Gibbs and Ziva arrive almost simultaneously from opposite elevators. Gibbs picks up the rose and looks askance at Tony.
“I don’t know Boss, it was there when I got in,” He shakes his head ever so slightly to communicate that it’s not from him. If the urge took him to send Gibbs a gift at work it certainly wouldn’t be a flower.
Gibbs reads the small note attached to the flower and smiles slightly. “Just to keep ‘em guessing, Liz.”
He dials her number and feels Tony’s eyes on him. Not distrustful, just curious. A sleep grumble announces Liz’s presence on the line. “Good morning to you too Liz.”
“Jethro it’s eight AM.”
“Got the flower.”
“You’re still a bastard.”
“Never denied it.”
“I stopped by the house last night. Out of town?”
“No, I’m at the office.”
There’s a slightly longer than average silence, then she seems to get it. “When do I get to meet them?”
“Soon. Friday maybe? I’ll make dinner,” He glances up to make sure Tony knows the invitation includes him. Tony just grins.
“He must be cute if you won’t let him out of the house.”
“That’s not why. Call me at home we’ll work out the details.”
“Just a perk then, huh Jethro? I’ll call you tonight.”
He hangs up with a smile and continues going through the mail. About halfway through he looks up, “DiNozzo, recheck for offshore accounts under Carmichael’s name. McGee, confirm the exact amount he stole. Ziva, verify the whereabouts of his known associates.”
Ziva and McGee both shoot Tony confused glances when his only response is, “On it boss.”
A few hours later the director descends into the bullpen, “Secret admirer Jethro?”
“Not at all. Is there something you need from my team Ma’am?”
“What’s your status on the review for JAG on the Carmichael embezzling case?”
“It should be done within the hour.”
“Keep me apprised.”
When Abby turns up she sits on the edge of Gibbs’ desk, “Hi Pop.”
“Hello baby girl. What can I do for you today?”
“Can I borrow Tony for lunch?”
“That depends. DiNozzo, you done with your report?”
“In your email inbox Boss. Copies are off to JAG, the director, and hardcopy should be up any minute.”
“Go on.” As they near the elevators Gibbs calls out, “Be back in an hour you two.”
In the elevator they both laugh. “Well played Princess. McGee is up there wetting himself right now.”
“That was so much fun. It almost made up for not getting to tell Madam Director. So are you okay?”
“I’m good actually. Happy I think. And before you ask no it is not J that’s making me question it. My dad came by last night. Lit into me, in his way, about J. I don’t care about that. He also delivered the news that I’m going to be a big brother. I want to be happy about it. I’m just not sure how I’m supposed to relate to a sibling. Can we save the rest of this until we get to the diner?”
“And here I thought you were going to take me to someplace posh.”
“Next time sweetheart, I promise. Right now I need the messiest pot roast Fred can make. And a milkshake.”
“You’re really upset aren’t you?” Abby takes his arm.
“More unsettled than anything else.”
“Well first off, the great thing about little brothers is all they really want you to be is a friend. I imagine little sisters must be the same.”
“So I should what? Act like a divorcé dad? Show up twice a month and take them to the movies or the circus or whatever?”
Abby shrugs as they sit down. “If that’s the only way you can relate to them. Teach them the things your dad won’t. Get Pop to help you teach them to fish and sail. If it’s a boy teach him pick up lines and panty raid techniques. If it’s a girl teach her to kick the ass of any boy who bothers to offend her.”
“God my father is an asshole.” He sighs and starts playing with her hand. “Most of my frat brothers have kids of their own you know. God, Pete was worried a couple months back that his seventeen year old had knocked up some girl… Soon I’ll be the last one that‘s single and I get no end of shit over it.”
“You‘re unique Tony, I‘ll give you that. Did you really want the life they‘re living? A white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a dog?”
“Oh I don’t know, I could always talk J into a white picket fence and a dog…”
“Not even for you Tony. Are you going to tell them about… J?”
“When they start quizzing me about my love life at Mark’s bachelor party yes I’ll tell them. It’s not like they don’t know I play for the more… hands on team.”
“Exclusively?” Abby asks curiously. She wouldn’t have believed it had Tony not just openly implied it.
“Exclusively would be a bit misleading… more often than not would probably be the best way to describe it.” He checks the diner for other NCIS personnel before elaborating, “Women are certainly attractive, just less likely to hold my attention. A third date is a rarity let alone introductions to my friends. It was only after Peoria and establishing my cover that the balance shifted to mostly women. But even then it was two or three dates with a woman and five or six with a guy if I was giving him the time of day to begin with.”
“How many are you up to with Pop?”
“Eight when I stopped counting.”
“So, why does this thing with your dad have you so flustered?”
“Having no idea how deal with a situation scares the hell out of me. It’s not something I’m used to.”
“Have we settled it enough for now?” Abby asks as their food arrives.
“You’ll have to help convince J to attend a church charity ball with me.”
“You might have real trouble with that one. He isn’t exactly the formal affair type. In fact, if you get him to go can I join you?”
“If you bring a date of your own. Somebody with a little discretion.”
“I could invite Timmy.”
“That’s not going to work for two important reasons.” He waits a few beats, “Tim won’t date you anymore, he’s too afraid of your father. And I don’t want anyone to find out that abruptly. Need to know I can trust him before he knows who it is I‘m with.”
“Fair enough.”
“I mean it though, bring somebody who can hold up their end of a conversation. I don‘t want to attracted undue attention.”
“I’m more worried about what I’m going to wear. I’ll need a second cocktail dress.”
“Why?”
“Pop promised to escort me to the Marine Birthday Ball. I can’t wear the same dress to both.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

McGee watches the elevator doors shut in wide eyed terror. Even with Gibbs and Tony confirming it he hadn’t really believed Abby was Gibbs’ daughter.
Gibbs bites his lip not to laugh at McGee’s expression. Instead he glares, “Problem McGee?”
“N-no Boss. Not at all.”
“Finish those reports before you go to lunch,” He instructs as he makes to leave in search of his own lunch.
“Jethro?” The director calls from the middle landing of the stairs, “My office please.”
“Yes Ma’am?”
“Would you like to join me for lunch?”
“I suppose. Is there something we need to discuss?”
“No. I just thought lunch with a friend might be nice.”
“Fair enough,” Gibbs concedes, knowing that just isn’t the case.
“Your… lady friend wouldn’t mind, would she?”
Gibbs smiles slightly, she’s fishing again. “No, Liz won’t mind. She knows me well enough not to worry.”
“You’ve known her awhile then?”
“About fourteen years.”
“You’ve been dating this woman for fourteen years?”
“Liz and I aren’t dating. Well, we went on one date, years ago. She’s just a friend Jen. She likes messing with my team. The rose was just a note that she’s back in town.”
“So you still aren’t going to tell me about the woman you’re seeing?”
“I don’t see how it’s any of your business who I date Ma’am.”
“I thought we were friends Jethro.”
“Since when?” His tone is curious, fairly nonjudgmental.
“I thought we’d been friends right along.”
“Not from where I stood Jen. And I don’t mind in the least, just don’t try to meddle in my private life.”
“I didn’t realize wanting to know who you’re seeing was meddling.”
“Why is it that you want to know?”
“I like to know the people that are important to my friends.”
“If I believed that Jen I might tell you. If you don’t mind I think perhaps I should find lunch elsewhere.”
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry if the note at the end of the last chapter offended anybody. I've just read too many stories where it's a foregone conclusion. Sorry the update is late too.