- Text Size +
Jethro Gibbs intently studied his senior field agent, hoping that his persistent glare would encourage Tony to talk about his father and why the elder DiNozzo had suddenly developed an interest in the son that he had all but forgotten over the years. DiNozzo had quickly tucked the card out of sight, clearly indicating that his relationship with his father was not a topic for discussion and Gibbs knew that he had to respect the young man’s wishes for now.

He could not chance alienating Tony when they had just managed to come to an understanding about the events of the past few days. Gibbs still felt guilty about shooting DiNozzo and only time would lessen that wound, but in order to move forward, they had both agreed that they would have to accept the past. That was easier said than done, but both men were willing to try.

Deciding that the best thing to do was not to question Tony about his father’s motives, he patted the young man on the leg in a silent gesture to assure him that things were still good between them. His cheeks flushed slightly as he realized that DiNozzo didn’t feel the comforting touch; how could he have been so stupid as to forget that Tony had no feeling or movement in his legs?

“I’m sorry, Tony,” he humbly apologized. “I just didn’t…”

“It’s okay, Gibbs,” DiNozzo replied. “It was kind of nice that you forgot; it kind of made me forget.” Tony’s gaze shifted to his hands, his own embarrassment evident by the sudden inability to maintain eye contact with the former Marine. “I guess that sounds kind of weird, huh?”

“No, not at all. You want to be treated like normal.”

Tony shrugged, his eyes now fixed on the older man. “I guess I figure that if you’re going to help me get through this, I can’t be wearing my feelings on my sleeves.” A mischievous smile played upon his lips. “Especially when I’m wearing a Marine t-shirt.”

Gibbs grinned at his friend, thankful that DiNozzo’s unique sense of humor had not been lost because of the circumstances that fate had dealt him. “Got a point there, DiNozzo.”

Standing up, he set the bag that he had brought the change of clothes in on the bed and started placing DiNozzo’s personal items in it. “Might as well make sure you’re packed up when the transport arrives to take you to the rehab center. Once you get settled in your room, you can make a list of stuff that you’re going to need and I’ll go out and get it for you.”

Tony nodded as he handed Gibbs the magazine that contained the card from his dad. Gibbs hesitated briefly before taking it and placing it in the bag, the simple gesture spoke volumes of how much Tony actually trusted him.

“Thanks, Gibbs,” DiNozzo quietly said. “Thanks for not pushing me to talk about my dad. I uh…just some things are better left alone.”

“You’re welcome,” the team leader replied. “Just know that if and when you want to talk, I’m ready to listen.”

“I know, Boss. I’ve always known that. My dad is a difficult man and sometimes I don’t understand him; I certainly don’t expect anyone else to be able to figure out what makes him tick.”

“The offer still stands, Tony.”

“Thanks, Boss.”

Gibbs acknowledged Tony’s gratitude with a nod and returned to his task at hand. He noticed that the silence between them was surprisingly comfortable; the team leader knew from experience that sometimes words often would get in the way of the message that was being conveyed. The unspoken message between him and DiNozzo was one of trust and Gibbs was determined not to break that faith that Tony had in him.

As he finished packing, Gibbs placed the bag in the seat. “Did we forget anything?”

Tony glanced around the room and shook his head. “I don’t think so. You can take the flowers to the nurse’s station and tell them to pass them out to someone who might need their day brightened up a little bit.”

The team leader was never surprised by Tony’s kindness and generosity, as his co-workers often were; DiNozzo truly had a giving heart when it came to others, but years of conditioning had taught him how to hide behind a mask of indifference. He had lost count of the number of times that both Ziva and McGee had missed a rare opportunity to see the real Anthony DiNozzo, but because of their own blindness, they had missed those occasions when Tony had dared to show a glimpse of his true nature.

“I’ll be glad to.”

“Thanks. I figure that somebody in this hospital needs a pick me up; I figure that they’ll just be in the way at the rehab center.”

Gibbs grabbed a couple of the arrangements and then headed towards the door. “I’ll get the rest in a few minutes. You just hang tight.”

“I’m not going anywhere. Literally,” Tony softly muttered.

He bit back a retort knowing that Tony didn’t need a lecture on positive thinking. DiNozzo still had to come to terms with living life in a wheelchair and Gibbs could not condemn the young man for his feelings. The former Marine wasn’t sure what he would do if his and Tony’s positions were reversed; he had a feeling that he would have already put a bullet through his brain.



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



Nobody had dared to question Abby as to why she was sitting at Tony’s desk and even if they had, Abby would have simply sent them packing with her own glare that at times could rival Gibbs’. She missed Tony and simply wanted to absorb his presence so she had made her way to the bullpen and was now staring at a picture of him that she had uploaded from her camera onto his computer. “Oh Tony,” she whispered. “Hurry back. I promise to make sure your desk is just the way you left it.”

“Uh…Abby?”

She looked up to discover McGee standing in front of her, his expression a mixture of concern and confusion. Choosing to ignore him, she once again fixed her gaze on Tony’s picture. Unfortunately, McGee was not going to be so easily dismissed.

“Abby, what are you doing?” he inquired.

“What’s it look like I’m doing, McGee?” she testily countered.

“It looks like you’re sitting at Tony’s desk and staring at his picture on the computer.”

“Then that’s what I’m doing.”

“I can see that, Abby,” McGee sighed. “But why?”

Abby leaned back in Tony’s chair and crossed her arms. “Don’t you have anything better to do than interrogate me?”

“Uh, well actually…”

“Good,” she declared. “Don’t let me keep you.”

“Don’t you have any work to do?”

“I’m taking a break.”

“You don’t take breaks,” McGee pointed out.

“I do now.”

McGee walked around with the intention of sitting on Tony’s desk but a stern look from Abby prompted him to remain standing. “Abby, you do realize that it could be a very long time before Tony comes back to work? It’s even possible that he won’t come back.”

“Don’t say that, McGee,” Abby warned. “Tony is coming back and when he does, you better be nice to him!”

“Nice? Abby, I’m…”

“Don’t go there, McGee. You and Ziva both could be nicer to Tony. You have no idea what he does for you, do you?”

“Abby, I…”

“Don’t interrupt me, Tim,” the Goth instructed. “Whether you know it or not, he’s always looking out for you and Ziva; he’s always taking the brunt of Gibbs’ bad temper, and…” Abby visibly bristled as an almost imperceptible smirk danced across McGee’s lips. She had known the agent far too long not to realize that he was trying to hide something. Abby rose from her seat and step by step, she forced him back towards his desk. “What are you not telling me, McGee?”

“Abby, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She placed her hands on her hips. “Abby’s rule number one; never lie to Abby. I started talking about Tony’s job and you look like the cat that swallowed the canary. What’s up?”

“Nothing,” he tried to assure her. “You’re imagining things, Abs.”

“No I’m not,” she argued. “You had this tiny smirk on your face and you only get that look when you’re thinking very highly of yourself.”

“I do not!”

“Yes, you do! I see it a lot, even around me. I just choose to ignore it, Elf Lord.”

Abby noticed that McGee winced at the mention of his moniker than Tony had bestowed upon him. “You can’t lie to me,” she reminded him. “You might as well come clean.”

McGee sat his backpack down and sat in his chair. “I just came from the Director’s office and...”

“What?” Abby impatiently pressed.

“She wants to promote me to senior field agent.”

“On whose team?”

He swallowed hard. “Gibbs’ team.”

“Gibbs already has a senior field agent,” she pointed out. “Did you happen to remind her of that fact?”

“I did, Abby. I told her that I couldn’t take Tony’s place and…”

“And what did she say to that?”

An exasperated sigh escaped from his lips. “If you would quit interrupting me, I’ll tell you.”

Abby stared at him, her eyes silently daring him to tell her that he was undermining Tony’s position. She knew that it wasn’t McGee’s fault that the Director offered him the position of Senior Field Agent, but she was truly upset at Tim’s waning sense of loyalty. “Then tell me, McGoo.”

“I reminded her that Tony was still technically Gibbs’ senior field agent and she understood my reluctance to step in and assume his responsibilities. She appreciated my loyalty and suggested that I just take it temporarily until we see if Tony’s coming back.”

“Don’t you mean when?” she purposefully corrected.

“Abby, you’ve got to face the facts; Tony may never come back.”

She found herself wishing she could hit the delete button on McGee’s keyboard and erase the words that had just come out of his mouth. Tony was coming back and he would take his rightful place as Gibbs’ right hand man. “Don’t say that! You just wait, McGee; Tony’s going to come through those doors one day and kick your butt for doubting him. I hope that the Director has another team lined up for you because I have a feeling that your stint as Gibbs’ senior field agent is going to be short lived.”

“Abby, I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to make you angry.”

Her brow arched as her lips curved upward. “It’s not me you’re going to have to worry about, McGee. I just don’t want to be around when Gibbs gets a hold of you and the Director.”

Turning on her heels she stormed out of the bullpen and towards the elevator. How could McGee do this to Tony? Although Tim had been Tony’s senior field agent while Gibbs was in Mexico, he had never served in that capacity under the team leader and he was in for a rude awakening. She briefly considered going and talking to the Director regarding McGee’s sudden promotion, but Abby knew that there was someone far better suited for that dirty deed.

Reaching in the pocket of her lab coat, she pulled out her cell phone and hit speed dial. If anyone could fix this mess, it was Gibbs. She impatiently willed the former Marine to answer his own phone. “Come on, Gibbs. This is an emergency.”

After the third ring, she heard the voice that was like music to her ears. “Gibbs,” came the gruff reply.

“Gibbs,” she excitedly began, “You’re not going to believe this…”



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



Tony closed his eyes, taking a moment to cherish the solitude. He usually didn’t want to be alone because it gave him too much time to think and generally feel sorry for himself. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that he had earned these rare times of self pity, but he couldn’t be controlled by them. Given his current circumstances, Tony was amazed that he hadn’t drowned in a sea of self loathing deprecation, but fortunately, Gibbs had his six.

A soft knock at the door interrupted his musings and desire for seclusion. “Come in,” he sighed, hoping that it was the transport people to take him to the Rehab Center; he was more than ready to leave the hospital and the well meaning ministrations of its staff.

“Anthony?”

He opened his eyes at the sound of the distinctive voice. His heart began to pound in his chest and he felt his throat momentarily constrict as Tony struggled to find his voice to address his father. “Dad,” he finally managed. “What are you doing here?’

Anthony DiNozzo, Senior carefully placed his trench coat and hat on the foot of Tony’s bed and then proceeded to sit down on the edge of the bed. Tony studied his father and aside from his hair being a little grayer and a few more lines around his eyes, his dad had not changed that much. “You wouldn’t return my calls so I finally managed to track you down. I was…uh surprised to learn that you had been shot, but I see that you’re feeling better.”

“I’m fine,” Tony flatly answered.

“That’s good to hear, Junior.”

“So, I guess you can leave now.”

“Anthony, I just got here,” Senior protested. “I thought we could talk and…”

“What could we possibly have to talk about, Dad?”

“Anything you wanted to talk about.”

Tony laughed and shook his head. “I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure now is not the time that you want to hear what I have to say. Why don’t you just tell me what it is that you want?”

Senior visibly bristled. “You always were difficult when you were sick; perhaps I should come back later.”

“That’s probably a good idea,” Tony retorted, not bothering to tell his father that he was being transferred to a rehab center.

“When you’re at home, I’ll drop by later and…”

“I’m not going home, Dad.”

Puzzled, Senior asked, “You’re not going home? Where are you going?”

“Does it matter?” Tony shot back.

“Of course it does. I’m your father; I have a right to know.”

“Why?”

He saw his father instinctively clench his fist, but Tony no longer feared the blow that would often follow. The last time his dad had backhanded him for challenging his authority was the last time that he had seen his father until he had graduated from college. “You’re still as impudent as ever,” Senior growled. “Is it so hard to believe that I’ve learned from my past mistakes and want to try and make amends?”

“You’ve tried that angle before, Dad. I don’t think I’ll fall for it as easily this time.”

“Anthony, I…”

Tony’s tenuous rein on his temper was about to be unleashed; years of pent up anger and frustration were threatening to erupt and his father was going to be the recipient of a myriad of pain filled emotions that had been locked away for a long time. “I don’t want to hear it, Dad. I’ve got a lot more important things to deal with than trying to make up for lost time!”

“What could be more important than trying to salvage our father and son relationship?”

“What relationship? Dad, we don’t have a relationship; we’re nothing but mere acquaintances!” Tony’s voice was trembling with rage and he was determined not to spare the older man’s feelings. He scrubbed his face with his good hand in an unsuccessful attempt at getting his wrath back under control. “As for what’s more important,” Tony continued. “How about the fact that I’m going to have to learn how to live my life in a wheelchair? How’s that for important?”

“A wheelchair?” Senior uttered, disbelief etched in his distinguished features. “I had no idea, Anthony. I…”

“I don’t need your pity, Dad.”

His dad’s mouth was set in a firm line. “I’ve never pitied you, Junior,” his father seethed. “I’ve always taught you how to face life head on and be a man.”

Tony bit the inside of his cheek drawing blood. Why did he let his father do this to him? Would he ever be anything other than a matter of convenience to the man? What gave his dad the right to waltz in and out of his life whenever he wanted to? Tony decided he would give anything for Gibbs to walk through his door right now. “I think you better leave now. We’ll try this father and son thing again in a few years.”

“Anthony, it’s obvious that you’re angry about your situation. I can’t blame you for that,” Senior said. “Maybe there’s something I can do to help.”

“The only thing you can do is leave.”

Senior stood up and gathered his coat and hat and turned to leave. “Obviously this was not the best time for us to visit. What rehabilitation center are you going to? Perhaps I can work a visit into my schedule once you’ve settled in and become adjusted to your new living arrangements.”

“Doesn’t sound like he wants your company.”

Tony breathed a sigh of relief as Gibbs seemingly appeared out of nowhere. He was really going to have to figure out how the team leader so easily accomplished that feat. His father was about to address Gibbs until the agent’s phone rang.

“Gibbs,” he answered, his piercing gaze fixed on Tony’s dad. After a few seconds, the former Marine replied, “I’m going to have to call you back, Abs.”

The tension in the room seemed to increase significantly as his father and Gibbs, the man he truly considered to be his father, stood toe to toe, each one silently sizing up the other. Gibbs made the initial move. “Jethro Gibbs.”

“I never forget a voice,” his dad boasted. “We spoke earlier.”

“Briefly.”

Uncertainty was now plaguing Tony as he attempted to figure out how and why Gibbs would have been talking to his dad. The two older men continued to stare at each other, a mixture of anger and newly found hatred for each other seemed to consume their aura.

Tony cleared his throat to garner his dad and Gibbs’ attention. “Excuse me? Does somebody want to tell me what the hell is going on here?”