- Text Size +
Part 20


Two sets of eyes were now fixated on him, clearly surprised by his unexpected outburst. Tony was still reeling over the realization that his father and Gibbs had actually exchanged words before today without his knowledge; he wasn’t sure what had been said between the two men but evidently it was enough that they had developed a mutual dislike for each other. Neither of these men was used to having their actions questioned but at the moment, Tony didn’t care. He wanted an answer to his question and he wanted the truth.

“I’m waiting,” he pressed, unable to hide his growing impatience as he waited for a believable explanation.

His father was the first one to speak. “Agent Gibbs and I had a brief phone conversation earlier; it seems that he was assuming the responsibility of being your answering service.”

“My answering service?”

“I called your apartment and Gibbs answered,” Senior further explained as his steely gaze focused on the team leader.

His attention turned to Gibbs. “Was this when you were there with Mrs. Kiser?” Tony inquired.

“No,” Gibbs answered. “After I took her back home.”

He wasn’t receptive to the idea that the former Marine had been in his apartment alone. Tony liked to keep his personal life private and although Gibbs knew almost everything about him, the team leader had never ventured into his domain without his consent. Gibbs must have had his reasons for being there because Jethro Gibbs didn’t do anything without a reason; he would just have to figure out later. He didn’t want his father getting a scent of any dissention between him and Gibbs because there wasn’t a doubt that Senior would somehow use it to his advantage.

“He’s keeping an eye on my place while I’m in the hospital,” he quickly offered as a justification for the team leader’s presence in his apartment.

He watched his dad’s eyes shift between him and Gibbs, trying to understand the unspoken agreement between the leader and the senior field agent. “I figured that you would get one of your neighbors to do that, Anthony,” his father assumed.

“Gibbs is also looking in on Mrs. Kiser for me.”

“Mrs. Kiser?”

“My elderly neighbor,” was the only enlightenment that he offered to his father.

“I see.”

“So, what did you guys have to say to each other?” Tony wanted to know.

“Not much,” Gibbs answered. “We exchanged a few pleasantries and after I wouldn’t tell him where you were, we hung up.”

Tony rolled his eyes. “A few pleasantries?”

“I was concerned because I hadn’t heard from you lately,” Senior interjected.

Tony laughed at his father’s ludicrous statement; the only time that Tony DiNozzo, Senior remembered that he had a son was when he wanted something. “I didn’t want you to know where I was, Dad; I figured that if you wanted to see me bad enough, you’d figure it out on your own.”

The subsequent awkward silence in the room was starting to grate on Tony’s frazzled nerves. He wished that Gibbs and his dad would just leave so he could focus on his immediate future. The prospect of going to the rehabilitation center was weighing heavily on him; the thought of the unknown caused his doubts and insecurities to fester like an infected wound.

For all his father’s faults, the man knew to pick his battles carefully. His dad only fought for something when he thought that the victory would be beneficial for him. Tony figured that would explain why he never seemed to fight for the love of his own son; it never mattered to his father if he was loved by his flesh and blood as long as he had power over every situation.

He sensed that his dad was in danger of losing that control and had quickly arrived at the decision to bow out gracefully so he could regroup for his next attack. Life was a game to his dad and unfortunately over the years, Tony had been the one to lose each and every time.

Senior made a motion of glancing at his watch. Picking up his coat and hat, his father excused himself from the room. “Look at the time!” his dad exclaimed, failing to break the tension between the three men. “I’m late for an appointment. I will check on you later, Junior. What rehab center did you say you were going to?”

Tony glared at him. “I didn’t.”

“We’ll talk soon, Junior,” the older man vowed.

Tony didn’t miss the determined gleam in his father’s eye. There would undoubtedly be another confrontation where he would be forced to listen to what his father had to say. These personal conflicts between father and son usually resulted in a couple of physical and mental blows and years of resentment on both sides. He would not allow his father to penetrate the shields around his heart and so far, he had managed to keep those walls intact.

Without another word, his father left the room, leaving the young man alone with the team leader. Raking his hands through his hair, he glared at his mentor and asked, “So what were you doing in my apartment?”

“I was just looking around to get an idea of how it can be adapted so when you get out of rehab, your place will be ready for you,” Gibbs stated.

Tony felt the tiny vein his forehead throb as he clenched his jaw. Gibbs was only trying to help him; why did he feel like tearing the man apart? Was he going to spend the rest of his life angry and bitter when someone offered a kind gesture? He had been relying on himself since he was a teenager and his father’s visit had forced him to resort to his self preservation tactics to avoid getting hurt by the man that was supposed to love him unconditionally.

“Thanks,” he finally managed to mumble. “I appreciate it. I really do. I just…” Tony pinched the bridge of his nose as he attempted to quell the feelings of annoyance he was internally experiencing. “Next time, just let the machine pick up.”

“Tony, I…”

“Not now, Gibbs,” Tony warned. “I thought that you weren’t going to push me to talk about my dad. You’ve met him face to face and apparently exchanged so called pleasantries, so I don’t think you need me to expand upon why I don’t want to discuss anything pertaining to the great Anthony DiNozzo, Senior.”

“All right,” the team leader reluctantly conceded. “But we’re not done with this conversation by any means.”

“I know.”

Fortunately before Gibbs could offer a rebuttal, his nurse entered with his transfer papers in hand. “Good news!” Annie announced. “All I need is your autograph and you’re on your way.”

Tony blew out a pent a breath and forced a smile as he took the papers with his free hand. “I think you should come with me,” he teased.

“And why is that?”

“Because my next nurse might be an old, blue headed, grandma with no teeth and a wart on her nose, who will enjoy those sponge baths a little too much.”

“Actually, I’ve already spoken to the nurse who will be doing your orientation once you get there and she has promised me that she will take good care of you. Her name is Gretchen and you’ll like her; she and I graduated together.”

Tony eyed Annie suspiciously. “What does she look like?”

Annie patted him on the head. “You’re hopeless.” Handing him a pen, she instructed, “Start signing everywhere you see an ‘X’.”

“Give me a hint?” Tony pleaded.

“Sign.”

He tried to still the tremor in his hand as he signed his name over and over. Tony wasn’t sure if he was trembling from weakness or if his nerves were still raw from the emotional roller coaster he had been riding on for the last several hours. He scowled at his shaky signature as he listened to Annie talking to Gibbs. The senior agent hoped that his boss was paying attention to her instructions because he was having a hard enough time concentrating on the simply chore of writing his name.

Finally completing the mundane task, he handed the papers back to Annie. She quickly perused them and satisfied that everything was in order, checked his vital signs one last time. “Your chariot is downstairs and the EMT’s are waiting to transport you. We’ve already sent over your records and Agent Gibbs has everything else you’re going to need when you check in,” she informed him. “Do you have any questions?”

Tony shook his head. “Nope. I guess I’m ready.”

Annie graced him with a beautiful smile as she squeezed his hand. “When you get better, you come back and see me,” she said. “You’re a special man, Tony DiNozzo. You can do this.”

Although he knew his grin was not as convincing as hers, he nodded his thanks and gave her a sly wink. “Gretchen better be a looker or I’m coming back here.”

Annie and Gibbs both laughed at his thinly veiled threat. “Take care, Tony. I’ll never forget you.”

“I’m pretty unforgettable,” he mused.

If he had not been out of Gibbs’ reach, Tony knew that he probably would have received a head slap for that comment and truthfully, he probably deserved it. “Thanks for everything, Annie,” he called out as she headed towards the door.

She motioned for the EMT’s to enter and then gave him one final wave. Tony allowed the two men to transfer him to a gurney; the fact that he couldn’t feel what they were doing was pushed to the back of his mind as he quietly joked with the team leader who had grabbed his bag and copies of his papers. His anger towards Gibbs had temporarily subsided some as he subconsciously started handling things like he usually did by using humor and avoidance.

“You comin’, Boss?”

“On your six, DiNozzo,” Gibbs replied. “I’ll be right behind the ambulance.”

Tony nodded to the EMT’s that he was ready. “I’ll see you there, Gibbs.”

As he was wheeled out of the room, Tony felt as if he were in a sense closing the door on one part of his life. He was going to have to learn a new way of living his life and despite the front that he was now determined to hide behind, he was scared to death of what his future entailed.

He could almost hear his father’s words playing in his mind, “DiNozzo’s aren’t scared of anything!”

Tony laughed to himself, formulating his own reply to his father’s condemnation. I’m afraid I’m going to have to disappoint you once again Dad; this DiNozzo isn’t just scared, he’s terrified…



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



The team leader got in his car and leaned his head back on the head rest, the events of the past few hours randomly playing in his mind. He and Tony had come to an understanding and a semi-acceptance of the shooting and the resulting consequences only to almost have it undermined by Tony’s father and Gibbs’ seeming disrespect for the young man’s privacy.

Despite all outward appearances, DiNozzo was a very private person; he kept his personal life close to the vest and very few people ever got the privilege of seeing the real Tony DiNozzo. Gibbs knew that he was one of those few and did not take that honor lightly. He was grateful that Tony seemed willing to brush this episode aside if for no other reason than to tick off his father. There were obviously a lot of hidden issues between Tony and his father that he would probably never be privy too, but that didn’t stop the former Marine from having Tony’s back.

He tiredly sighed as he started the car, wondering if every day was going to be as long as this one had been. Gibbs had a feeling that until Tony was able to do things on his own, the days would more than likely seem endless. He hadn’t taken any of his leave since his return from Mexico, so he could possibly take another leave of absence, but more than likely Tony would balk and insist on him working. The agent knew that DiNozzo would feel like a burden and that was the last thing he wanted to happen; there was already enough guilt between the two of them to fill the San Andreas Fault.

Pulling up behind the ambulance, he waited as the EMT’s situated DiNozzo in back; the team leader could tell that the dark-haired man was trying to hide his discomfort from the two men. Tony’s arm had to be hurting him, but his senior field agent was stubborn and would more than likely refuse any offer of pain medicine. Gibbs had to admit that Tony and pain killers were not a good combination, but he hated to see the agonizing expression on DiNozzo’s still too pale features.

As the ambulance pulled away, he closely followed behind in his car. He wanted to arrive at the same time so that Tony would know that he wasn’t alone but more than that, Gibbs wanted to make sure the staff knew his name and his face because they would be seeing him a lot.

His phone began to ring and he muttered a curse when he remembered that he hadn’t returned Abby’s call. He knew that she would understand once he explained the circumstances but his gut was telling him that his abruptness was the last thing on her mind. “Gibbs,” he answered.

“Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs! Can you talk now?” Abby frantically inquired.

Her voice was strained with a hint of impatience interwoven in the gravelly tone. He easily sensed that she was upset about something other than the fact that he had been forced to hang upon her earlier. “Sorry, Abs. Tony had an unexpected visitor,” he explained.

“Is everything all right?”

“For now,” Gibbs assured her. “We’re on our way to the rehab center to get him settled in. I don’t know how long I’ll be.”

“I know you need to take care of Tony, but there’s something going on here that you need to know about too.”

“And that is?”

There was a slight pause before she blurted out, “The Director wants to promote McGee to senior field agent. Your senior field agent.”

Gibbs should have expected that Jenny would try something like this. She was advertising her power and punishing him at the same time; he couldn’t help but think that Jenny was somehow jealous of Tony and the paternal feelings that he had towards the younger man. His grip on the steering wheel tightened until his knuckles were white. Damn her! He had a senior field agent and his name was Tony DiNozzo!

He didn’t doubt that McGee had the makings of a good senior field agent, but Gibbs wasn’t so convinced that he could withstand up to the expectations that he had placed on Tony and that DiNozzo consistently exceeded. In other words, he truly didn’t think Tim could handle being his senior field agent.

“I’ll be there as soon as I can, Abs,” he promised.

“What are you going to do?’

“I’ll take care of it.”

“You won’t let her replace Tony, right?” she pressed. “I mean, Tony is coming back and he’s still your senior field agent and although I love McGee, well not right now, because I’m upset with him, but I just don’t think he has what it takes to keep up with you and Tony. Oh my gosh, Tony is just so amazing; it’s like he knows what you expect without you having to speak a word and the way that his mind works...”

“Abby,” Gibbs called out to her in hopes of getting a word in edgewise. “You don’t have to convince me. Tony is still my senior field agent and nothing’s going to change that!”

“Not even the Director?”

“Especially not the Director,” he growled.

“I knew I could count on you,” Abby cheerfully replied.

“Always, Abs.”

“Give Tony a hug for me,” she instructed.

“I think he’d appreciate it more coming from you.”

“You’re probably right. Tell him that I’ll be there tomorrow to see him and that I’m bringing him some of Grammie’s gumbo. Anyway, call me after you talk to the Director; I want details, Gibbs.”

“Later, Abs.”

Gibbs hung up and dialed his former lover’s cell phone but ended up getting her voicemail. What he needed to say to hear couldn’t be said in a message so he snapped shut his phone and slung in the seat beside him. He was not going to play her game and he was definitely not going to allow her to pit his team against each other.

“You’re not going to get away with it, Jen,” he muttered under his breath. “Tony’s already had too much taken away from him; you’re not taking his job.”

He was forced to tamp down his anger as they pulled into the entrance of the National Rehabilitation Hospital. Gibbs parked in a temporary parking space reserved for new admissions and their families and grabbed Tony’s bag and other forms out of the back seat. The team leader stood at the back of the ambulance as the EMT’s carefully unloaded Tony.

“You doing okay, DiNozzo?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Tony answered through clenched teeth.

“Did you let them give you anything for your shoulder?”

Tony shook his head. “Nope. I’m okay now that we’re not hitting every pothole on the beltway.”

Gibbs walked by the side of the gurney as they entered the center. He could see the nervous anticipation in Tony’s emotive orbs; DiNozzo was scared and Gibbs truly didn’t blame him because he was scared too. Reaching down, he gave the injured man’s hand a subtle squeeze. “You can do this.”

DiNozzo’s hushed tones tore at his heart. “Hope you’re right, Boss; I hope you’re right.”