- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Please rate and review, or at least read. Depending on how many reader/reviews I get will determine if I finish this.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate's upset, and being shot down in a helicopter doesn't help.
“Hey Liz, what’s going on... What?... Really... No that can’t be... I just saw to him... Ok, I’ll be there... Tuesday?... I’ll tell my boss... ok bye.” By the time Kate had hung up the phone she had mix feelings of sadness, lonliness, pain, and regret. Why hadn’t she spent more time with him? Why hadn’t she told him she loved him more? Why did she have to yell at him before she left? She thanked the Lord that it was Sunday and that she didn’t have work. All she had to do was tell Gibbs tomarrow morning that she wouldn’t be at work on Tuesday, maybe just call him and not go into work tomorrow either. Just as she was about to call Gibbs, there was a knock on the door. She stood up slowly, complaining to herself that she didn’t want to see anyone today. She opened the door and answered with a somewhat rude, “What do you want?”. Unfortunatly for her, the last person on Earth that she wanted to see at the moment was on the other side.

“Hiya Kate!” Tony replied happily, a giant smile plastered on his face.

“Tony, it’s Sunday, why the hell are you at my apartment?” Kate asked, again somewhat rudly.

“Aw, Kate, now is that really anyway to act?” Tony asked, and when he recieved no reply from Kate he continued. “We have a case, dead Marine. We need to meet Gibbs at the helicopter field.”

“Why.” Kate whined, “It’s Sunday, we’re not supposed to be working.”

“C’mon Kate, I’ll give you a ride.” Tony offered, his attitude had changed when he saw how his partner was acting. Kate simply nodded and turned to go and change and grab her gear. After she had finished, Tony led her out to his car, and they both got in. They drove the hour drive to the helicopter field in silence. Kate was looking out the window, but Tony could still see that she was on the verge of tears. When they reached the field, Tony parked, but didn’t unlock the car.

“Kate...” he started to ask, but Kate cut him off.

“Tony, if your going to ask if I’m okay, my answer is that I’m fine. But if you were going to ask if I need to talk about something, which I highly doubt since that is not a DiNozzoish thing to do, then my answer is no. Now will you please let me out of the car?” Tony did let her out of the car, and when he did, Kate walked away quickly, leaving Tony with a not so good feeling in his gut.

“Morning Kate.” Mcgee said cheerfully when Kate walked over to him. But Kate walked right by Mcgee, hardly noticing that he exsisted. “What’s wrong with Kate?” Mcgee asked Tony when he walked up.

“I don’t know Tim.” Tony answered simply. “She wouldn’t tell me.” Then he continued to walk towards Gibbs, who was standing in front of a helicopter that was ready to take off, and Mcgee followed.

“So nice of you two to join us.” Gibbs growled at them over the whur of the helicopter. As soon as all three of them had stepped onto it, the helicopter took off, carrying Tony, Mcgee, Gibbs, Ducky, and a severly depressed Kate to a crime scene.

After spending an hour in the air, Gibbs sensed something was wrong. He was about to go and talk to the pilots when he saw it, there was a small missle heading for them, head on. He only had enough time to tell the team to brace themselves before the missle hit. The helicopter fell from the air and within forty-five seconds crash landed into the forest below. The team stumbled out of the air craft with no serious injuries, but the pilot and co pilots were, obviously, dead.

“Oh well, this is just great!” Shouted Tony, who probably had the most serious injuries. There was a giant gash on his head, and another on his leg. His nose looked like it was broken to.

“Your telling me!” Mcgee said, a little annoyed. “Who told us about this body anyway?”

“It was an anonoymus tip.” Gibbs stated.

“Well, maybe we shouldn’t follow anonoymus tips anymore.” Ducky replied. He went over to Tony to start taking care of his injuries, and then he took care of the others. Kate still hadn’t said a word, she was too lost in thought.

“Well this is f’in fantabulous! Of course, the one Sunday I have to work, the helicopter I’m riding in gets gunned down and I get lost in the woods. No! No! No! I can’t be lost in the woods, If I’m not found by Tuesday...” Her thought prosess was inturupted when She felt a finger run across her cheek.

“You okay Kate?” Tony asked. “You were crying.”

“Yeah Tony,” Kate shouted, “I’m f’in fantabulous!” And with that she grabbed up her back pack and slung it over her shoulder. Before anyone could stop her, she took off running at full speed into the woods, she wanted to be alone.

“Kate!” the others shouted after her.

“Damnnit Kate.” Gibbs said, mostly to hiself. “The rest of you stay here.” Gibbs commanded as he picked up his own backpack.

“But Boss...” Mcgee started.

“Stay here!” Gibbs shouted, and then took off running in the direction Kate had. With the way Kate had acted, he expected her to run for a good long while, but with his Marine training, he was able to track her, and he did. After running for about an hour straight, Gibbs found himself in a small clearing with a river, and he saw her. Apparently, she hadn’t seen the river, and had fallen into it. After she had pulled herself out, she collapsed on the river bank.

“Kate!” Gibbs yelled, running over to her. She was a mess. For starters, she was soaking wet and covered in mud. She was breathing hevily after her hour long run, and now she had compleatly lost control and tears stained her face.

“Kate.” Gibbs said again, softer this time. She heard her sniff a bit, and he slowly lifted her out of the river. “Kate, it’s okay, I’m here. It’s okay.” he reassured her as he held her against himself, trying to comfort and warm her.

“No it’s not.” Kate barely choked out. She leaned into Gibbs’ chest, crying harder. Gibbs silently petted her head, trying to calm her down, but it didn’t work. She didn’t stop crying until she had tired her self out and had fallen asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kate slowly opened her eyes and knew that her wishes had not been fullfilled. What happened before she had fallen asleep weren’t just a dream, she was still lost in the woods. and... She couldn’t even say what had happened without crying. Gibbs had heard her tears starting up again and came over to her.

“Kate?” Gibbs asked quietly. “Feel any better?” Kate shook her head as more tears formed in her eyes. “Do you want to tell me what’s wrong?” He asked, and again Kate shook her head. “Please?” Gibbs begged. Kate looked up at her boss, he had said please. She could see that he wanted to know what was wrong, wanted to help, but she didn’t know if she had the strength enough to tell him yet. “Please Kate.” He begged again, and this time, Kate couldn’t refuse. She slowly sat up, but felt dizzy and almost fell, but Gibbs caught her before she fell back down to the forest floor. He lifted her into his lap, and wrapped his arms around her. She slowly let her head fall to one side and was about to rest it on his shoulder when she realized who he was and qucikly set her head straight. “It’s okay.” he assured her, and pushed her head down, lightly so that it rested on his shoulder.

Kate took a deep breath and began. “This morning, I got a call from my sister, Liz. When I asked her why she called she... she...” Kate could feel the tear forming in her eyes, but took a deep breath, determined to tell Gibbs what had happened, “she... Oh! Gibbs, she told me that my dad died.” She finished begining to cry again. “I... I couldn’t believe it. I... I had just seen him t...two days before and he... he was fine.” She said through her tears. “H...he died of... of a heart attack. I... I... Oh Gibbs!” She couldn’t talk anymore. Gibbs wrapped her in his arms more tightly, and put one hand around her head, holding it into his shoulder as she cried.

“Kate, it’s okay.” Gibbs whispered as he held her.

“Gibbs, you don’t get it.” Kate continued through her tears. She sat up now, anger rising in her. “This isn’t going to be okay! Maybe you didn’t have a great relationship with your Dad, but I did! The last time I saw him, we had a giant fight! My last words to him were, ‘I’m an adult now, stay out out of my life! It’s none of your bisness!’ and then I slammed his front door in his face as I left. I didn’t even have a chance to apologize!” She was yelling now, angry with Gibbs, but more with herself. “And now thanks to you and this stupid tip, I’m stuck in the middle of the f’in forest and probably not be able to go to the funeral!” She finished, with more tears falling than before. She tried to squrim out of Gibbs arms, but he wouldn’t let her go. “Gibbs, let go of me!” She shouted at him, begining to punch him as hard as she could. Gibbs just sat there, absorbing each blow and waited for her to tire her self out, but she never did. After about five minutes of punching him, Kate realized that it wasn’t helping, and not knowing what else to do, she layed her head back on Gibbs’ shoulder and let go. She sobbed, uncontroably, not wanting to stop.

Gibbs held her, continuing to comfort her. After a while, he layed down, laying Kate next to him, and letting her lean into him. Kate curled herself up into a small ball, leaning her head into Gibbs cheat, and Gibbs had his arms wrapped around her protectivly. Kate had finally fallen into an uneasy sleep, and Gibbs watched her as she did. Her breathing was steady, her chest slowly rising and falling in a rythmatic way. There were and few strands of hair in her face, which Gibbs lightly brushed back. When he did, Kate stirred a little, but only to move closer to Gibbs. Gibbs tightened his grip around her and whispered, “I’m right here Kate, I’m not going anywhere.” and lightly kissed her forehead. He finally let himself relax a little, and fell asleep, his head resting on hers.
Chapter End Notes:
Please rate and review, or at least read. Depending on how many reader/reviews I get will determine if I finish this.