- Text Size +
When Kate woke up, she thought she was dreaming. *This can’t be real. Why would I be sleeping with Gibbs, and why would he have his head on mine?* She thought. But when she felt her heart, still hurt, she knew this was real. *Besides,* she thought, *If this were a dream, a; we would be in a bed and b; we wouldn’t have clothes on.* She giggled a bit, but that slight noise woke Gibbs up.

“Well, it seems like you’re feeling better.” He observed.

“I am a little, but,” she sighed, “I still...”

“I know.” Gibbs said, kissing the top of her head instinctivly, “You miss him.”

Kate nodded in agreement but then realized something. “Did you just kiss my head?” She asked in disbelief.

“Um.. I... Um...”Gibbs stammered.

Kate gasped, “You did just kiss my head!” She laughed slightly.

“Yeah, well, I kiss Abby’s cheek all the time.” He replied defensivly.

“So, that’s Abby. She’s not your agent.” Kate retorted.

“Well... yeah... but...” He stammered again.

“Do you liiiike me Gibbs?” Kate asked childishly. Gibbs didn’t answer, but he didn’t glare at her either. *Do I like her* he thought, *No I can’t. Rule #12. But... Ah screw it!*

“Yes.” He answered Kate simply.

“What?” Kate asked, really not believing what she had just heard.

“Yes, I do like you.” Gibbs repeated, and then waited for her reaction.

“Really? I mean Gibbs, really? Rule #12, remember?” Kate asked, trying to remain calm.

“They’re my rules, I can break ‘em if I want to.” He answered.

“Okay, then.” Kate agreed. The in one swift movement, she kissed his cheek and ran twards the river. Gibbs stared after her in disbelief, then chased after her. Kate hadn’t realized that it was raining, and in a few seconds, she was soaked to the bone. But she didn’t care. She kept running, not letting Gibbs catch her. But, marine man knew tricks and caught her, wrapping his arms around her waist, and lifting her off the ground, spining her around. SHe laughed a little, and when Gibbs stopped spinning, he changed her position so she was craddled in his arms.

“Hey Gibbs, why were we dry where we were before if it’s raining?” She asked.

“Oh, well, when you first fell asleep yesterday, I got board and built a shelter.” He answered a little sheepishly.

“Typical Gibbs.” Kate replied, laughing again. “WHat are we gonna do about food?” She asked.

“Well, first stop calling me Gibbs, it’s Jethro.” He demanded. “And second I also scouted the area. Follow me.” He set her down and took her hand. Togther, they walked into the woods to find what looked to be a million blackberry bushes.

“Wow.” Kate exhaled.

“Here, try one.” Gibbs said as e picked a berry and fed it to here. SHe chewed and swallowed, and shighed.

“Mmmmm. That’s good.” She addmitted. BUt there was something she had to ask. “Hey, Jethro,” calling Gibbs by his frist name was weird, but it was also nice. “why are you acting so... not youish?”

“Well...” Gibbs thought for a moment, trying to find an answer. “I guess, I’m just... happier than I have been in a long, long time. Too long in my book.”

“And why is that?” Kate asked innocently.

“Because I have the most beautiful,” he kissed her cheek, “charming,” he kissed her other cheek, “outrageous,” he kissed her forehead, “girl in the world in my arms, and she’s all mine.”

“So sweet.” Kate replied as she sat down next to the berry bush. Gibbs came to sit next to her and they ate their fill of berries. As they did they talked. Mostly about how long they’ve wanted to tell the other tht they liked them, and other things in that category. By the end of the meal (if you could call it a meal), They had learned everything there was to know about eachother, except one thing...

“What was your Dad like?” Gibbs asked.

“Oh...um...” Kate stammered.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me.” Gibbs pulled back quickly.

“No, I’ll tell you.” Kate said. She took a deep breath before she started. “My Dad was... well he was my Dad. When I was younger, I worshiped him. He and I spent a lot of time together, I was his little girl. He coached all of my softball teams, and he even was the troop leader for my girl scout troop one year.” She laughed at the memory, Gibbs laughed a little too. “Then, my mom died. I was nine. I don’t know why, but I blamed him, and hated him. I even thought of running away from him once, almost did too. I got as far as the end of the driveway before I realized I had no where to go. I actualy went goth once.” She laughed again, Gibbs just stared at her in disbelief. “Yeah, kinda scary huh, I looked a lot like Abby. Except without black hair, my Dad wouldn’t let me dye it. By the time I went off to college, I hardly spoke to him. It was when I was at college that I realizerd how much I’d miss him if he hadn’t been there either. We became closer. The fight that I had with him that night.” Kate’s eyes filled with tears. “That stupid fight, was the first fight we had had in over ten years. Why’d we have to fight, why that night. I don’t even remember what it was about.” SHe had begun to cry now. “And now, because of that stupid tip, that stupid tip...” She trailed off.

“What Kate?” Gibbs asked.

“I’m gonna miss the funeral.” Kate sobbed. GIbbs looked down at her, tears filling his own eyes.

“I’m sorry Kate.” Gibbs whispered to her, kissing her head again.

She looked up at him “What about never apologizing?” She asked.

“Doesn’t apply here.” He looked into her eys, calmly, not glaring. They connected somehow, they just did. They didn’t know who started it, they didn’t care, but in that moment someone had kissed someone, and it was the best moment in either of their lives. As they kissed, they didn’t realize it, but it had stopped raining, and all the stars were out. One single shooting star glided across the sky. One they broke apart, they continued to stare at eachother.

“Thanks Jethro.” She whispered to him, and yawned. He laughed a little at the face she made when she yawned. He slowly picked her up, and she layed her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. When they got to their shelter, Kate was asleep. Trying not to distrub her, Gibbs layed down laying Kate next to him, her head on his chest.

“Night Kate.” He whispered, and kissed her head. soon he fell asleep, happy for once in a long while.