- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All I own is the plot.


Twenty minutes later I was riding the elevator up to the third floor. A huge smile on my face. I had texted Ziva when I pulled in the garage and asked if she had gotten my email. She had told me she had and was ready to help me get McGee. As the doors opened I scanned the bullpen quickly. Tony was at his desk, as usual. I could barely see Ziva's head over the partition. Gibb's desk was empty and so was McGee's. I walked over to Ziva's desk and leaned against the corner. She looked up and said,”Well good morning, Abby and happy birthday. Today is the day, Yes?” I nodded my head and said, ” Good morning and thanks”then leaning in, I whispered,” Yup, today I'm gonna get McGee. Now I get to play a little bit.” She smiled at me and chuckled. Tony raised his head and looked at us. Now was a good time as any to talk to him. As I stood up and began the short trip to Tony's desk,i turned suddenly and asked Ziva,”Where is he anyway?” She knew who I was talking about with out asking. “MTAC with Gibbs.” I nodded my head.


Standing beside Tony, I studied him. He really seemed to be quiet today. None of his usual talking. That is when I noticed a few small red marks along the neckline of his shirt. Just about where his tie was. I reached a finger out and moved aside the shirt. He jumped and rolled away from me. I had only gotten a quick glance, what looked like bite and nibble marks marred his neck. I turned my head quickly to look at Ziva, who caught my eyes for a moment, smiled and glanced back at the papers on her desk. The smile growing wider. I looked over at Tony, a huge smile on my face. His cocky, Tony smile firmly planted on his face he said,” Mornin, Abs. How was your night?” I smiled and said,”I should ask you that question” He chuckled and glanced at Ziva, who never lifted her head. He said,”Just fine, in fact, better than fine. I haven't felt this good in years.” This worked in my favor, I thought. I went for it. “So Tony, you remember the other day when Ziva and I had Palmer in the interrogation room...” he nodded his head. I continued.” did you happen to sneak in and watch any part of it?” He smiled and nodded yes. “Where you alone?” He chuckled and said, “Nope. Probie was with me. And let me tell you he looked really nervous. Never met my eyes once.” I jumped off his desk and started to dance around , pumping my arms in the air. “Yes, I knew it” I said. Ziva and Tony laughed. Tony said,” Ziva filled me in last night about what was going on. So McGoo is playing secret santa with you huh?” I nodded my head. “ And now you've figured it out and you're gonna torture him for awhile.” tony said. I stopped and looked at him “Tony, don't think of it as torture. Think of it as a game. Wanna help?” He smiled as he glanced over his shoulder, spotting McGee and Gibbs walking down the stairs he quickly answered,”Oh, Yeah” He rubbed his hands together like a bond villain.

“Morning, Abby” Gibbs said as he approached his desk. He leaned in and placed a kiss on my cheek. I smiled and replied,”Morning, el jefe.” He looked at me and I smiled, he spared a glance at McGee, who was now sitting at his desk. Then his eyes where back on mine. His blue eyes twinkled, he smiled and signed you know? I nodded my head yes. He signed back Be nice. I smiled. He signed I already knew. We broke eye contact and he began shuffling papers on his desk. I turned toward McGee, who had his head buried in his computer,typing away. I walked up behind him, leaning in I wrapped my arms around his neck. He jolted slightly and glanced over his shoulder. His clear green eyes showed confusion for a second. His whole body was tense and then he relaxed. A calm setting in his eyes. “Morning Abby. And Happy Birthday” I smiled at him but said nothing. We sat like that for a minute our eyes locked together. I could feel his heartbeat grow faster under my palm which lay across his chest. He smiled and turned back to the screen. He reached up and patted my hand with his. I think he thought I was gonna let him go, instead I leaned in, momentarily glancing up and meeting Ziva's eyes, close to his ear I whispered,” Morning Tim.” I exhaled lightly, blowing warm air over his ear and down his neck. As I pulled back, I made sure my lips barely brushed over the tip of his ear. I felt his whole body shiver and his ear turn red, followed by his neck. He glanced up at me as I unwound my arms from around his neck and stood up. I winked at him. Gibbs hung up his phone just then and said,”McGee, with me.” Gibbs was halfway to the elevator when McGee cleared his throat and said,” uh... yes boss.” Gibbs turned and smiled slightly at me. As they entered the elevator Gibbs' slapped McGee's back and said,” Somethin' wrong, McGee?” He simply shook his head. I laughed and headed to my lab. Leaving Tony and Ziva laughing in the bullpen.



Walking into my lab, I was smiling. The expression on McGee's face stuck in my head. I flipped the lights on and found my evidence table covered with gifts. No different than any other birthday. My team loved me just as much as I loved them. Walking over, I examined it all. A dozen chocolate mania cupcakes from Ziva, a DVD from Tony, black roses from Palmer, a box labeled “from Gibbs”, a book of poetry from Ducky, and the standard black roses with two red roses from McGee. Oh, he thought he was smooth. Thought maybe it would throw me off his trail, I don't think so. I gently placed all the flowers in the refrigerator as well as the cupcakes. I placed the DVD, mysterious Gibbs box, and the book of poetry in my office. I wondered just how was the last “secret” gift gonna be delivered. He had been sneaky so far, but I was on to him now. I also had Tony and Ziva working for me now.



Four Hours Later..........

I met Ziva at her desk because we had lunch planned. Gibbs and McGee where still gone and now so was Tony. As we entered the elevator I asked her,” So where is Tony?” She smiled and said,” Gibbs and McGee came back awhile ago and left again a short time ago, taking Tony with them.” “Oh” was all I said. As the elevator hit the parking garage level we both exited. We walked toward my hearse, Ziva split off heading toward her car, when she saw that I wasn't beside her she turned around and glanced my way. “I thought we where going to take my car,” she said. My sudden laugh echoed throughout the garage.”Oh, no Ziva. I love you, but there is no way I'm gonna ride in a car that you're driving.” She put her hands on her hips ready to protest but after a second she headed back in my direction. Walking around to the passenger side of the hearse she said, “ I have gotten better, you know.” I chuckled and glanced over the roof at her,”I know, I know.”


She opened the door and got in, I smiled and was opening my door when I heard her squeal,very un-Ziva-like. I opened my door and peered in. Immediately I saw what she had squealed about. Sitting on the divers seat was a bright red box with black ribbon surrounding it. An envelope tucked into the ribbon on the top of the box. I picked it up and got in. I sat there for a minute just looking at it. Ziva cleared her throat, I glanced over at her, she smiled,” Are you going to open it?” I nodded and said, “This is it you know, no more secret gifts. If I don't confront him he may never confess it. You know McGee can get. All shy.” I smiled. Beside me Ziva smiled as well. “You like him, yes?” It was a question but it sounded like a statement. I thought about it. There was no doubt I loved him, I loved the whole team. At one time I had romantic feeling for him, but once we broke up I never thought about it much. Except, I must have thought about it on some level, since I never liked the girls he went out with. Maybe it was just a subconscious disliking. Thinking about the last few days, I realized I must still have feeling for him. I nodded my head. Ziva simply placed a hand on my shoulder and said,” I know what it is like to feel very strongly about someone and not really being able to express those feelings.” I glanced over at her and smiled, knowing who she was talking about. I pulled the ribbon end and it came undone. I placed the envelope on my lap. I turned to Ziva and said,” Well, let's see what Timmy got me as a grand finale.” Ziva nodded and waited. I pulled the top of the box off and moved aside the tissue paper. I found a smaller, more square black velvet box. I pulled it out of the larger box and tossed the red box behind me into the back. I sat there a moment just staring at it. I notice my hands where shaking a little bit, I couldn't believe I was nervous. I took a deep calming breath and opened the box, inside lay an Arachne necklace. It was a silver spider that was resting on a silver filligree web, it was adorned with faceted black onyx stones. Dainty chains extended from the web, forming swags in classic Victorian style. It was absolutely beautiful. It took my breath away. He has so nailed my style in this one gift. I glanced over at Ziva who was inspecting the necklace. She glanced up and smiled, “It is perfect. It is you.” She said. I could only nod. He had made me speechless, unbelievable. I closed the box and put it on my lap. I picked up the card and opened the envelope, the front of the card was glossy black with red stars on it. I opened it, again Ducky's handwriting,

Abby,

Happy Birthday. I hope you enjoy the necklace. I thought long and hard about this final one. Finally I saw this . It reminds me of you in so many ways. The spider on your neck, the way your eyes light up like sparkling jewels. You are strong yet delicate just like the filigree. By six o'clock tonight I will come to your lab if you haven't figured me out already. Until then..........



with love


A single tear slid down my face. I smiled. He really did have a way with words. I handed the card to Ziva. She read it and handed back to me. “Wow” was all she said. After a moment she said,”Does this mean you are not going to torment him anymore?” I thought about it a minute, I smiled,”Oh no, I am” She laughed out loud and I chuckled too. Soon we where on our way to lunch.



An Hour Later......

Ziva and I walked into the bullpen after lunch. Tony was again sitting at his desk. His hair was more disheveled then it usually was. I looked around but neither Gibbs or McGee was at their desk. “Hey, Tony.” I said. He glanced up from the screen and smiled, but it wasn't the usual DiNozzo smile. Ziva picked up on that.”What is going on ,Tony?” He glanced from Ziva to I. He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could Gibbs emerged at the top of the stairs. “DiNozzo, now!” Tony glanced up at him,”Right boss.” He got up from his desk and walked to the stairs. That is when I noticed two things. First his suit jacket lay on the back of his chair and second there where a few blood drops on the left wrist of his shirt. I gasped and nudged Ziva, whos' eyes where locked on Tony's back. She glanced over at me. At the top of the stairs Gibbs stood, a stern look on his face. I met his eyes for a minute, a question on my lips, but I couldn't speak it. A Tony came to stand beside him, he finally spoke,”Ziva with us. Abby, go see Ducky.” Ziva nodded. With a quick glance at me, she headed up the stairs. My heart was beating faster. I wondered where McGee was. No sign of him at his desk. He could have been in the observation room already but that was unusual. Gibbs, Tony, and Ziva disappeared toward the interrogation room. After a minute I walked over to McGee's desk, finding a notepad, I wrote, Timmy, come see me after you finish putting the bad guy away.


Abby
Beside the note I set down two eclairs I had brought back for him, he really was losing too much weight. I liked my Timmy with a little bit of squishyness. It made him even more huggable.


I stepped out of the elevator in Autopsy and took a breath. Looking through the glass I could see Palmer at the desk doing paperwork. I couldn't see Ducky. I walked up to the doors and the swooshed open. That is when I saw a man's bare back, sitting on top of one of the tables. I walked closer, wondering who it was. I stood next to Palmer, studying the guys back. I glanced around and noticed a crumpled grey and black stripped shirt discarded on the table with blood soaked tissue next to it. A suit jacket lay close to the shirt. What looked like blood covered the two lapels. I glanced back at the guys back. He was wearing dark slacks and a leather belt. A gun holster still attached to the left side of his belt. His badge lay glittering in the dim light next to the shirt. His sandy hair was cut short in the back. I stopped, I knew that back and the back of that head.

I gasped and rushed forward. “Oh my god. Timmy. What happened.” I was beside him in a second. Ducky was examining him. At the sound of my voice they both turned. I was shocked. Tim's face was still covered in dried blood. There was a small cut above his right eye, on his forehead. His right eye was beginning to swell and had a ugly greenish bruise starting to form. His bottom lip was split and blood was still flowing from his nose, he was holding paper towels to it to stop the bleeding. I met his eyes and he smiled, slightly. Ducky spoke,”Oh dear. Abigail.” I had so many questions but was too shocked to speak. Ducky spoke again, this time to McGee. “Well Timothy. Your nose is not broken, which is good news. The bruising should heal in a few days, but I suggest you keep ice on it.” He finished as he placed small white butterfly band-aide on the cut on Tim's forehead and dabbed a bit of liquid gel stuff on his lip. McGee nodded his head and said,”Thanks Ducky.”


“You are more than welcome my dear boy.” Ducky gently patted his shoulder and handed him an icepack. His eyes darted from him to me and back. A slight smile creased Ducky's face. “Abigail, why don't you help Timothy to clean up his face.” I cleared my throat and somehow found my voice,”Sure thing, Duck Man.” He chuckled and walked over to Palmer. I came and stood in front of him. I turned toward the sick and grabbed paper towels and wet them. I walked back to him. I smiled. I reached up to begin to clean the blood from his face, he reached up with his left hand and grabbed my wrist gently. “Abs. You don't have to. I can do it myself.” I smiled at him. Tilting my head, I examined his face for a second. Finally I spoke. “Shhhh, Timmy. It's ok. You don't have to be all tough with me. I wanna help.” He smiled and released my wrist. I gently wiped the dried blood from his cheek, chin and around his nose. He winced slightly when I dabbed at the blood on his forehead, above his eye. I stopped and tossed the paper towel in the trash grabbing another wet one from the pile I set on the table next to him. He held tissues to his nose. I gently moved his hand from his nose, noticing that it had stopped bleeding, I placed a wet paper towel under his nose and dabbed the blood away.


Soon his face was clean. I stepped up closer, standing between his legs. I examined his eye, it was swelling bad. I reached up and stroked the side of his face. From his temple to his jaw. I had never seen him like this before. I knew that every time the team went out, there was a danger one of them would get hurt,but I would never get used to it. Especially my Timmy. My Timmy, the words swirled around in my head. Was he mine? Absolutely. Without a doubt. I knew in that instant, I had never really stopped loving him, I had just been scared. But I was no longer scared. Over the years since our failed relationship, we all had suffered loss. Losing Kate and then Director Shepard had caused us all to grow, even me. I loved him, I know that now. But sitting in Autopsy with him all beat up was not the right time to tell him. So, I reached done and grasped his right hand and gave it a squeeze. He smiled.

“Thank you,Abs.” I smiled brightly and said,” No prob, Timmy. But I'm not finished yet.” I grabbed the ice pack from him, leaning in close I placed a kiss over his right eye, on the bridge of his nose, and finally at the corner of his mouth. I felt him smile. I placed another one at the corner of his mouth, unable to help myself. I stood back up and placed the icepack over his eye. He jolted, slightly. I clasped his left hand with my right, squeezing gently. We stood that way for awhile, our eyes locked together. I really couldn't say how long.


I heard Gibbs clear his throat, we both turned our heads towards the door, finally breaking eye contact. Tim lifted his hand and took the icepack from me. Placing it on the table beside him. Gibbs walked closer,”How ya doing, McGee?” He glanced over McGee. “I'm fine, boss. Ducky said my nose isn't broken.” Gibbs nodded. He threw a shirt on the table next to Tim. “Had DiNozzo go get this for ya. Get dressed and come upstairs, ya still got paperwork to do.” “Thanks, boss. I'll be right there.” Gibbs turned and started to walk out of Autopsy, he turned and said, “Alone.” I met his eyes, he smiled slightly and walked out. I turned back and Tim was already starting to pull on his shirt. Now that I knew he was ok, I glanced at his chest. He definitely had more muscle tone than the last time I had seen him shirtless. I was enjoying the view. Buttoning the last button, he got up off the table. He grabbed his badge off the table and tossed the suit jacket and blood cover shirt in the bio-hazard trash. He walked to the door, I was right behind him. He turned suddenly and I almost ran into him. He reached out and cupped my shoulders. “Abby, we need to talk....uh...later.” I nodded. “Sure thing Timmy..” he walked out the door, as the elevator doors opened he stepped in. Before they closed I called out...” Around six o'clock, right?” His eyebrows shot up and his mouth gaped open. The elevator doors closed. I laughed out loud and Ducky chuckled. Palmer said,” I don't get it.”


5:45 p.m..........

I was getting nervous. I had fidgeted around for the last half hour, finally I couldn't take it anymore. I shut down all my babies and left my lab. I couldn't wait any longer. I had never been known to sit around and wait. I had replaced my trademark spiked collar for the necklace. It felt light around my neck. I loved it. Getting off on the third floor, I walked into the bullpen. The lights on each desk were the only lights on. Being winter, the sun had already gone down and all that could be seen out the large glass window was the lights of D.C. Gibbs' desk was empty, Ziva typed away on her computer. As did Tony. I glanced over at Tim, who was hard at work. His bottom lip sticking out, concentration written on his face. His eye had bruised further almost now fully black and blue. I thought briefly about finding the guy who did it and punching him in the face. But I shrugged that thought off, knowing that an interrogation with Gibbs was hard enough but one after you have assaulted one of his agents was definitely worse. I walked over and stood behind Tim. Watching his fingers fly over the keyboard. His back tense. He was leaning slightly forward. Face inches from the screen. Tony looked up and smiled. I waved at him. Ziva glanced up and smiled at me. I gave her a thumbs up. Both she and Tony pretended to go back to work, but kept glancing up.


I leaned in and wrapped my arms around Tim, being gentle this time. He leaned back from the screen and turned his head slightly towards me. I smiled. “Abs, I'm almost finished”

“Ok” I said but didn't let go of him. He turned back to the screen,chuckling lightly. A few minutes later he finalized his report and hit the print button. I released him,reluctantly, so he could retrieve the printed papers. Tony and Ziva glanced up at me and then at one another, Tony nodded his head toward the stairs. Without word he and Ziva got up and headed toward the stairs. But they didn't climb them instead they stood on the other side. Just out of eye sight. Tim stapled the papers together and placed them on Gibbs' desk.

He walked back over to his desk. I was leaning against the corner of it. Just watching him. He sat back in his chair and turned to face me. He looked unsure of himself and what to say. Shy Timmy was back. I smiled at him. Deciding whether or not to put him out of his misery. He glanced around a few times not really meeting my eyes. He looked really nervous. I felt butterflies in my stomach. “Abby, I...uh....you know those...um....well I mean....I'm the....” He began to fidget with the arm of his desk chair. I smiled. I got up and sat across his lap. Wrapping an arm around his shoulders. His gaze shot up, his green eyes meeting mine. “I know Timmy. I know it's you. All the gifts.” His eyes darted away from me. I reached out and turned his face back to mine. “All I want to know is why?” he sat there a minute, I could see his brain working. He exhaled finally, a small smile forming on his face,”That's easy. I love you. Always have. Always will. I've been looking for so long for the perfect woman, but what I have recently realized is that you are perfect, at least to me.. And I know you don't like commitment and all that and I am okay with that. I'll be with you forever. I'm not going anywhere. But I'll understand if you don't feel the same way. I would never do anything to ruin the friendship we already have. I just had to get it off my chest.” He took a breath. My smile grew wider. He began to speak again, but I hushed him with a finger placed over his lips.


”My turn Timmy.” I took a deep breath then continued,” I have been doing a lot of thinking myself, especially over the last few days. And seeing you today down there with Ducky made me realize just how much you mean to me. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to you. I depend on you Timmy, You cheer me up and make me smile. You are always there for me. No matter what. Timmy, I love you, like love-love you. Now I don't know about commitment and all that but I can tell you that I want to be with you. Today,tomorrow, next week, heck next year.”

He sat there stunned. I smiled at him. “Timmy, please say something.” He broke into a huge smile. His eyes bright. “Abs, I love you.” I placed my hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat under my hand. I traced small hearts over his chest.”Thank you for the gifts. I love them all.” He reached up and traced the necklace with his finger. I shivered.”I love you too, Timmy” I cupped my hand on his cheek and leaned in, he leaned forward and our lips met. I tried to be gentle because of his lip, but soon he deepened the kiss and I wrapped my arms around him. I rubbed the back of his neck and began playing with the short hairs there. His arms tightened around me. His hands stroking my back. Suddenly, a cleared throat broke us apart. We both looked up to see Gibbs standing in front of McGee's desk. “No playing grab-ass at the office.” He smiled slightly and turned toward his desk. I smiled and McGee muttered a “Sorry,boss” I chuckled. “MmmHmm” was his only response. I got up from Tim's lap and grabbed his hand. He reached over and turned off the monitor and the desk lamp. He grabbed his back. I lead him to the elevator, he said” Where are we going, abs?” I glanced sideways at him as we entered the elevator and I smiled, I raised an eyebrow and said,” My place. Nurse Abby is going to take care of you tonight.” His smile grew wider. The door closed.