- Text Size +
Disclaimer: NCIS and all characters belong to Mr. Bellisario
Author's note: his story has not been beta read all mistakes are mine.


Three hours later as I stood examining evidence, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. That could only mean one thing.

“ Sorry,Gibbs. Nothing yet.” I said, without turning around. Then an idea struck me. This would be the perfect time for me to ask him about the little box left on my desk this morning. Nothing happened in the building without him knowing it. I turned around and smiled at him. Before I could open my mouth the elevator doors opened and Ziva came out. She rushed into my lab. Spotting Gibbs, she halted at the doorway. I nodded to her ans she came the rest of the way and stood next to me. Gibbs watched Ziva walk to me and he smiled. Looking from her to I, his smile broadened. Finally he spoke.

“Why do I get the feeling you two are up to something?” Ziva and I looked at one another and back at him with looks of absolute innocence on our faces. He was probably going to be the easiest. If you are straight forward with him he is with you. Ziva spoke first.

“ I do not know what you are talking about but Abby and I do have a few questions for you.”

Gibbs exhaled and settled onto my chair, spinning it away from the computer first. He sat there silent waiting for either of us to speak. I figured it was now or never.

“Do you notice anything different about me today?” I asked. He gazed at me for a minute searching my face and then gave me a once over ending back at my eyes. Let me tell you Boss Man can be quite intimidating when he sets his cool blue stare on you. I held his gaze for as long as I could, then I glanced at the ground. Wow, I thought no wonder so many suspects break in the interrogation room with him. Ziva nudged my shoulder and cleared her throat. I glanced at her and the back at Gibbs. His stoic face suddenly broke into a huge smile.

'Aww, Abs. What's going on?” I exhaled. Back to good old Gibbs. So I laid everything out for him. From finding the box, to the “suspects” list ( which he chuckled at)and getting Ziva to help. He listened, glancing at the note and at the brooch on my lab coat. When I finished, he sat for a minute. He looked at the note again and finally spoke.

“ Well, Abby. I can tell you a few things. First of all I didn't give it to you. But I do know who wrote the note.” I smiled at him. I looked at Ziva and said,” See Ziva I knew Gibbs could help.” Turning to him I said,” so your name is off the list.” he nodded and said “You can take Wes's name off too,”

“Why is that, Oh great One?” Ziva chuckled beside me and said,” because he is gay.” I looked over at her shocked and Gibbs laughed. “What, how come I didn't know that?” I looked at Ziva again,” And how did you know that?” She glanced from Gibbs back to me. “ I just found out myself. I figured I would go down and talk with him. When I got down there, I heard him on his cell phone. So I waited. When he finally got off the phone, he noticed me. Anyway, we talked for awhile and he ended up telling me that the phone call had been from his boyfriend. Apparently they had a huge fight this morning and he was calling to apologize.”

“Oh,” I said. “Well, then that is two off my list. I went to my computer and opened the folder and entered notes next to Gibbs' name and Wes's. Closing it I turned to look at Gibbs, remembering something he said. I smiled and said,” So you said something about knowing who wrote the note.”

“Yup.” He said.
“Well are you going to tell me?”
“Uh-huh” came his reply.
I crossed my arms over my chest tried my best to give him the Gibbs stare. He chuckled, got up from the chair, kissed me on the cheek and said,” It's Ducky's writing.” I stood there open-mouthed. Shocked. Just then Major Mass Spec beeped loudly.