- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Same as the previous chapters.




I got to work early the next morning, focused on talking to Ducky. He had been busy yesterday, and wouldn't answer his phone. As soon as I arrived at the Navy Yard I headed straight toward Autopsy. I checked my watch, 0600, yup he should be in already. I was absolutely shocked when Gibbs told me that the writing on the card was Ducky's. Honestly, it had send my head spinning. I kind of wished Ziva was with me but I know that she and the rest of the team where in deep with the case. As I stepped out of the elevator, I paused. I looked in the windows of Autopsy. I could see Ducky bent over a body on the first table. I peered around and couldn't spot Palmer, I figured he was late,again. Taking a deep breath I stepped up and the door opened. I heard Ducky speaking softly to the body. I smiled.

“Sorry, Jethro, I have nothing for you yet but..” he turned around mid sentence ans smiled. “Well good morning Abigail. What ever are you doing down here this early in the morning?” Thinking for a second he continued,” not that I am not happy to see you of course” I placed my lunchbox on his desk and walked toward him.

“Morning, Duck Man. I came down to ask you a few questions.” with that I pulled the small white card out of my cloak pocket and held it out for him to see. “Gibbs says this is your handwriting. Is it?” He paused, glanced at the card and back up to my face. He exhaled slightly, placed the scalpel down on the table and removed his rubber gloves. He took the card from my hands and sat down at his desk. After a minute or so a slight smile split his face and he said,” Indeed, it is my writing. When did you receive it?” I was busy trying to process what he had said.

“Abigail” I looked at him. He said again,”When did you receive it?”

“Yesterday” even to me my voice relayed my shock.

“Oh, I see.” was his only reply. I tried to clear my head. Finally I was able to voice the question running full speed through my mind.

“Ducky, did you give me the brooch?” I asked, looking into his eyes. Seeing him pause and look down o rushed to continue. “Don't get me wrong Ducky, I love it. I really do. But why didn't you just sign your name. I mean my birthday is a couple days away. Why not wait till then?” Ducky raised his hand, palm up to stop my rambling. He chuckled.

“My dear, I said I wrote the note. I never said I gave you a brooch. I didn't.” He paused, I could tell he was trying to figure out what to say next. Which was weird, considering Ducky never seemed to run out of things to say. After a moment he continued. “ As I said, I did write the note but only as a favor for a friend. He came to me a few weeks ago. I was hesitant at first, fearing this very thing might happen. But I could never resist the urge to help a friend. However, I fear, it has ended up putting me in a rather sticky situation.” I smiled at him and placed a hand on his shoulder, I was gonna have this little mystery solved by lunchtime. “Not really. Just tell me who asked you to write it. No problem at all.” Ducky laughed, reached up and patted my hand. “Ordinary, dear. I would do anything for you. But not this time. I just couldn't.” He turned around and grabbed another pair of gloves. Walking back to the table and the body on he picked the scalpel backup. There was no way I was gonna let him off the hook that easy. I came around the other side of the table and said, “please, Ducky. Pretty please with honey on top.” I had my hands clasped in front of my chest. I began jumping up and down. Quite a task considering I was wearing four inch platforms. Ducky simply shook his head and said,”No. I just can't. I gave my word, and after all, I am a man of my word.” I admit I was getting a little desperate. “Please, Ducky.” He shook his head again. I stood there a few minutes just glaring at him, willing him to change his mind. He looked up from the body again, a gleam in his eyes. Aha, I thought. I knew he couldn't hold out on me.

“Abigail, I should have asked sooner,but may I see the brooch?” Darn it, I should have known he would be a tough nut to crack. I nodded my head in agreement. “Of course.” I took off my cloak and walking over I laid it over the back of the chair. Spinning around I walked over to Ducky. He turned and spotted it immediately attached to my shirt, right above mt heart. He looked it over. After a few minutes he said,” It is quite spectacular.” Under his breath I hear him say, “ the boy certainly does have great taste.” I smile and said,”which boy would that be Ducky?” He glanced back to my face and smiled.

“It better be the boy on the table, Duck.” I jumped slightly at the sound of Gibbs gruff voice. It had been awhile since he had snuck up on me. I turned around in time to see him and McGee stroll into Autopsy. Gibbs looked from me to Ducky and back again, waiting. When neither of us said anything he spoke again, “What are ya doing down here Abby?”

“Ummm, nothing really Gibbs. Just visiting.” He glanced at me, his light blue eyes sparkling with the the smile that didn't quite make it all the way to his lips.

“MmmHmm. Well why don't you head up to your lab and let Ducky finish here.” I nodded. Leaning in I kissed Ducky on the cheek. “Bye Ducky. Thanks for the info” Coming around I stood between Gibbs and McGee, who looked nervous. I planted a kiss on Gibbs' cheek and turning slightly I placed one on McGee's cheek as well. He turned red instantly. I smiled as I watched the redness reach all the way up tp his ears. Sometimes, Tim was just so fun to tease. I grabbed my cloak and headed out the door, as the elevator doors began to close is heard McGee ask Ducky,” What information did Abby ask you for?” That was followed with a loud WHACK that echoed throughout the room. The doors closed before I could catch Ducky's answer.


Walking into my lab, I was met with the strong yet beautiful smell of roses. I flipped the lights on. There an my workstation was a black vase overflowing with full bloom red roses, each on tipped black.Next to it sat a white gift bag with black skulls and crossbones on it. I placed my lunchbox and cloak on the evidence table and rushed to my workstation. I counted each one, 24 in total. I bent down and buried my nose in one of the flowers. They smelled great. Next I turned my attention to the bag. Reaching in, I fished through the tissue paper and grabbed the contents. Pulling it out I saw that it was a cherry wood box, with an intricate carving of a spiderweb on the lid. Opening it revealed nine bottles. Picking each one up I read them: Cistus Ladanifer, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Melissa Officinalis, Ylan Ylang, Rosa Damascena, Lanvandula Angustifolia, Angelica Archangelica, and Chamaemelum Nobile. All of my favorite essential oils. Closing it, I placed it on my workstation and pulled the tissue paper out of the bag, looking down into it, hoping to find a card. There laying at the bottom of the bag was a red envelope. I reached in and pulled it out. Fumbling at first I opened it and pulled a piece of paper out if it. Unfolding it, I noticed it was printed from a computer. It read:
Abby,
A single rose for every moment of the day when I think of you. I hope you enjoy them and the oils. I picked each one for you. Seeing the light in your eyes yesterday after finding my first gift made me so happy.

This time the letter was simply signed, with love. I read it over a few times and them placed it back in the envelope, placing it and the box back in the bag. I placed the bag in my inner office, to keep it safe. I put my flowers next to my keyboard. Where I can enjoy them for the rest of the day. I was more determined than ever to figure out who was giving me these things. Suddenly, I had an idea. Picking up the phone I called Ziva.

“Special Agent David.”

“Ziva ,can you come down? Ducky is off the list. But I need your help with Palmer.”

“I will be there in a minute”

I smiled. Poor Jimmy didn't know what he was in for.