- Text Size +
Riding to work the next morning I was quiet. I'm sure Tim noticed but didn't say anything. I had been so sure that he was going to kiss me last night, or had I just imagined it. The only other possibility was one I wasn't fully ready to think about. I mean, had I wanted him to? What would I have done if he had? Just too many questions and no answers.

“Abby?” Suddenly pulled out of my thoughts by McGee saying my name. I looked around and realized we had arrived at work. He had parked where he usually did. Looking out the windshield I saw my hearse still sitting there. I looked over at McGee, “Yeah?” He chuckled and shook his head slightly. “I asked if you had called anyone about the hearse?” I had to think for a minute, so not like me. But the events of the last few days have really been playing games with my mind. Remembering the phone call I had made before leaving my apartment this morning I answered, “Oh, yeah. They should be here in awhile to tow it to the shop. They told me they would have it back to me by this afternoon.” He nodded his head and got out of the car. I reached for the handle,but before I could open the door, he was there to pull the door open for me. I stepped out and closed the door behind me. We rode the elevator up in silence, as the door opened on the third floor I asked,” So Timmy, ya wanna have lunch with me today?” I wanted to talk to him about what I had noticed about Tony and Ziva and also to try and get any info about the gifts. I had always known when he was trying to lie to me, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask him. We walked off the elevator before he answered, “Sure Abs. About noon?” I nodded my head. I could feel my pigtails brush across my shoulders. He smiled then added,”If I'm late I'll call,okay?” By this time we where standing by his desk. “Sure, Timmy and thanks...for everything.” I leaned in and kissed him lightly on the cheek. Gibbs cleared his throat behind me, I turned my head and smiled brightly at him, “Well good morning, Boss Man” He glanced from McGee to me and back narrowing his blue eyes finally he said,”Mornin Abby.” I turned and waved at Ziva and Tony,who where both looking at me. I skipped off toward my lab in a great mood. As I waited for the elevator I heard Tony say,” So Probie, Just what is the everything Abby was thanking you for?” As the metal doors closed I heard his reply,” Just a ride to work this morning.” I could almost hear the smile in his voice.


The morning passed slowly and I had caught myself several times checking the time. There was little for me to do. I had run all of the evidence the past two days, leaving it in the hands of the team to go and catch the bad guy. I passed the time trying to figure out just how Ziva and I where going to question Tony. As I cleaned out a cupboard in the back office a came across a box. I tugged it forward, pulling the lid off the cardboard box I got an idea. Inside was my homemade lie detector that I had used a few years ago to help Tim get over his fear of test taking. I had almost forgotten it was here. Smiling, I picked up the phone. I asked Ziva to come down and she told me she would be down in a few minutes.

“Abby? Abby? Are you in here?” I heard Ziva call from my lab. I was still in my inner office dusting off the lie detector and getting it ready. I called out, “In here, Zi.” I stood up and waved at her through the glass. She nodded her head and walked toward me. She walked in, glancing at the machine now set up on the table. A slow smile spread across her face. “So is this how we are going to question McGee?” She asked. I looked at her, puzzled. I shook my head slowly. “Nope” I said, smiling. “Than who?” As soon as the words where out of her mouth she realized who was left. Her mouth formed an O, but nothing came out. After a minute she cleared her throat and said,”I see, this is for Tony then?” I tried to judge her reaction. She looked stunned but intrigued as well. “Yup. And I thought you would do the questioning, while I sat and watched.” She smiled at that. I knew she would like it. A sparkle appeared in her eyes. Something told me Ziva was going to enjoy this, a lot. I kinda felt bad for Tony, but not much. As we sat for a few minutes, getting everything set up my office phone rang.

“Abby's labby,” I answered, smiling at Ziva as she chuckled. A masculine voice chuckled over the phone. “Abby, it's me...” I cut him off, “Oh, hey Timmy. Ya on your way down here so we can go to lunch?” Ziva lifted her head and shook it slightly. I gave her a questioning look. “Well...Uhhh... that's what I'm calling for. We....Tony, Gibbs, and I are out of the office right now. Trying to catch the guy that killed the Marine a couple of days ago. I should be...” Just then I heard the phone pulled out of his hand and another voice say,” Abs. McGee will be back in awhile, okay...” To McGee I heard Gibbs say,” Now get back to work, McGee.” As the phone was shoved back in Tim's hand I heard him say, “Yes, Boss. So Abs, i'm sorry. If it's not too late when we get back, I'll come down and get you, okay?” I sighed. I realized how much I had been looking forward to lunch with him Oh, well.

“Yeah, sure Timmy. No prob. See ya when you get back.”

“Alrght, Abs. Sorry again.” I smiled. “Like I said no prob. And hey, be careful.....all of you.” I heard him release his breath. “We will....gotta go Abs. Bye.”
“Bye” I said but he had already hung up. I placed the phone back on the cradle and turned around. Ziva was watching me. Her arms folded across her chest. Not meeting her questioning glance, I walked toward her. “Well, it looks like we have a little more time to get this thing working right.” She nodded her head, but didn't say anything.


1300 Hours (an hour later)..........


Ziva had left awhile after McGee had called, saying she had to get back to her desk. We had agreed she would get Tony down to my lab after work tonight. I didn't ask how, to be honest I really didn't want to know. I sat, waiting. I heard the elevator doors open. I smiled. Without turning around I said,” Hey, Timmy.” I heard him set something on the evidence table .I turned around. His suit jacket had been discarded and his hair was slightly disheveled, like he had run his fingers through it. He glanced up and smiled. My heart fluttered in my chest. Weird. “Hi Abs. I brought lunch. I don't have much time, so we can't go out. But I did bring you this..” He pulled a Caf-Pow from behind his back. I jumped off my chair and rushed over to him. Grabbing the cup I took a long drink. He smiled again. “All is forgiven, Timmy. What did ya bring for lunch?” I asked, looking into the bag. “A veggie wrap.” he said. I pulled the food out of the bag and started to set it up. He went into my office and grabbed another computer chair. Pulling it and the one next to my computer over to the evidence table.

Just as we where sitting down the elevator doors opened again. We looked at each other. We both exhaled when the mail carrier,Cheri, walked in. She glanced from me to Tim. Her eyes lingered on him for what I thought was a minute too long. I cleared my throat. She met my eyes again. I gave her my best imitation of a Gibbs stare. “Uh, Abby this came for you.” she said, handing my a package. She glanced over at McGee again. I took the package from her and said,” Thanks, Cheri. You can go now.” She looked at me. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my armed across my chest. She nodded, said “Goodbye, Agent McGee”. I watched her leave and turned back to McGee, who was eating his sandwich. I sat back down and huffed. He looked up with a questioning look. “Geez, McGee. You know she was flirting with you.” His look turning puzzling,he looked toward the door and back at me. Finally he said,”Really? I didn't notice.” I looked at him, trying to figure out if he wasn't telling the truth. I realized he wasn't. He really had no clue just how attractive he was to women. I smiled. He said,”Besides, she's not my type.” I admit, I was intrigued. “Really,Timmy? Then just what is your type?” He glanced at me, hesitation apparent in his clear green eyes. He swallowed the bite he had in his mouth and said, “Uh, well, uh, Abby..” He looked completely uncomfortable. I smiled, no way was I gonna let him off the hook. He looked from me to the table beside me. “So what's in the package?” I had almost forgot about that. I shrugged my shoulders, reached for it and began to open it. I pulled out a long silver box. I glanced up at McGee who was watching with a neutral look on his face. I put the outer package on the table and opened the box. Piled inside was black rose petals. I moved them aside to reveal a sliver filigree bracelet, with double hearts linked. At the center of the linked hearts was an inlaid deep purple amethyst. At each side of the bracelet was another stone. It was delicate and beautiful. I pulled the bracelet out of the box and laid it aside. I held the bracelet in my hands and looked at it.

I glanced up at Tim, who was watching me. When our eyes met, he smiled. “Nice bracelet, Abby. Who's it from?” I thought for a second. “Well see, that's the thing, I don't know. I have been getting these gifts for the last few days and the card is never signed. I thought at the first one was an early birthday present, but it wasn't.” He sat there listening. When I finished he said,” what was the first one?” I looked at him, shocked. “McGee, I thought you where more observant than that. I have only been wearing it since I got it.” I pointed to the brooch on my lapel. He leaned forward to examine it. A hint of his cologne wafted up to my nose. I inhaled, I had always loved the cologne he wore. It suited him. He reached out and lifted the stem with his left index finger. My heart started to beat faster and my brain began to buzz. His closeness was effecting me. I started to find it hard to breath. Why was his nearness effecting me this way? After a minute he raised his eyes to from the brooch to my face. I inhaled deeply. His green eyes where warm and inviting. I could feel myself falling into them and just like that he was gone. Back sitting across form me. Looking at me like nothing happened. I tried to bring my heart under control. He spoke,” It's nice. So did this one come with a note or anything?” I couldn't figure out what he was talking about for a minute, then he raised his left hand and snapped his fingers,” Abby, ya there?” I looked at him for a second as my brain cleared. His last words finally penetrating my foggy mind. “What? Oh yeah, ummm... I don't know. I didn't look.” I picked the box up and turned it over. There was a note tapped to the bottom. I noticed Ducky's writing immediately. I smiled.

It read, Abby, I hope you have enjoyed these last few days. I have enjoyed giving them to you. My dark angel, these gifts are small tokens of my love for you. Tomorrow is your birthday and the last gift you will get from me this way. I hope after tomorrow I can give them to you face to face. By the way, you investigation is cute, it really it. I thought Palmer was going to faint. It was simply signed, with love. I glanced up at McGee, who was sitting quietly, watching me. I searched his eyes for any hint that he knew what the note said. I saw nothing. I must admit I was kinda disappointed. He smiled at me and said, “So what's it say?” I glanced from him to the note before deciding to hand it to him. He took it from my hand and read it. A minute later he handed it back. He was silent. After a few minutes I couldn't take the silence anymore and said,”Well?” He looked up at me and smiled. “This guy really likes you Abby. That's great.” I thought I noticed a hint of disappointment in his voice. I nodded my head, “Yeah, he does.” We sat there a minute, our eyes locked together. I felt as if he was staring straight into my soul. All of a sudden he cleared his throat and said,” Here, let me help you put it on.” Before I knew what was going on, he reached out and grabbed my left arm. Holding it in his right hand he removed the heavy black leather buckle bracelet I had on and replaced it with the delicate silver one. His fingers moving deftly over my skin. Everyplace he touched on my wrist, I felt like I was on fire. He finally got the closure secured. Releasing my hand, he sat back down. I was speechless. Just then his cell rang, reaching to his side he grabbed it, answering, “McGee..” He listened for a minute. I was frozen. Gazing at him. His words invaded my mind, “Yeah, Boss. I'll be right there. Okay.” He hung up. Smiling he said, “Gotta go Abs. Sorry” I nodded still unable to speak. As he got up he tossed the rest of his sandwich in the trash. At the door he turned and waved. I snapped out of it in time to say,”Bye Timmy. See ya later” He nodded again. His smile widening even more, then he was gone. And I was left totally confused.

Seven o'clock came around really quickly and I was just finishing up in my office when I heard the elevator doors open and Tony's voice echo in the hallway. “Ziva, what are we doing down here?” I didn't hear her response, instead I saw her walk into my lab with Tony following closely behind. His eyes planted on her rear end. I smiled to myself and for the hundredth time I hoped it wasn't him sending me the gifts. A soon as the thought entered mt head this time I dismissed it immediately. Somehow I just knew it wasn't. I stood in the entrance to my office. He glanced up when Ziva stopped a few inches from me. “Oh, hello Abs.” his famous DiNozzo smile creasing his face, he rubbed his hands together and continued,” Well what is this. You two lovely ladies have something planned?” Ziva and I glanced at one another and smiled. I stepped aside and Ziva lead him in to my office and I closed the door behind him. He glanced back at me. She spoke, “Sit here Tony.” She said, pointing to the chair we had set up next to the lie detector. He chuckled. “I don't think so Zeevah, not unless you guys tell me what is going on.” Ziva looked from Tony to I and back. She moved and stood in front of him. All of sudden she reached up and grabbing the top of his shirt, ripped it open. White dress shirt buttons flying everywhere. I clapped my hand over my mouth to stop from laughing. Tony stood stunned. Ziva got really close to Tony, she rubbed her hand up his chest. She leaned in and whispered in his ear, “We have a few questions for you. That is all.” With that she shoved him slightly and he fell into the chair. She looked back at me and smiled. He face as calm as I have ever seen it, but her eyes where lit like fire as she turned back to him. Maybe letting her question Tony was a bad idea, I thought.