- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story.




Abby's Lab............

I leaned back and sat on top of my desk. I had promised Ziva she could question Tony and I was going to keep my word. Remembering the bracelet I had received earlier today I jumped from my desk and walked over to Ziva. I tapped on her shoulder, she glanced at me sideways. I leaned up and whispered in her ear,” I got this bracelet this afternoon. McGee was here when it came.” She glanced from my outstretched left wrist to Tony and back to my face. She turned and headed out into my lab. I followed closing the office door behind me, leaving Tony alone. She turned to me and said,” Well, what was his reaction?” I thought for a minute. Then answered. “He really didn't say anything. He didn't act nervous or suspicious at all. I can tell if he lies and I don't think he was.” Ziva thought for a minute, then said,”Does that mean his name is off the list?” My heart suddenly felt heavy. If I had read Tim right he wasn't behind the gifts which meant he was out. I nodded my head, not looking up to meet Ziva's eyes. She exhaled and placed her hand on my shoulder, “Did you want it to be McGee?” I thought for a minute then answered,” At first I didn't know who it was and it intrigued me. But over the past two days I have felt this energy between Timmy and I, now i don't know what to think” She only nodded. “Well do you believe it is Tony?” Her voice took on an edge. I shook my head furiously, “No I don't think it is.” Ziva exhaled again and said,”Only one was to find out.” I followed her back into my office. Taking my place on top of my desk. I let my legs dangle and swing. Sitting back ,I just watched.


Ziva approached Tony again. He smiled at her. She leaned in close, her brown hair brushing against his arm. “Are you going to tell me what this is about,Zee-vah, or do I get to guess.” She placed the cuff on his arm and placed the probes on his chest. As she finished she stood up, finally she answered,” I told you. We have few questions for you. Just answer them honestly and you can go.” Tony chuckled. He really looked like he was enjoying this. He nodded his head and said,” Okay. But be gentle.” Ziva laughed,” Oh, I make no promises” I noticed Tony squirm slightly, but I don't think he was uncomfortable. Ziva sat across from him. She glanced back at me and I gave her a double thumbs up. She turned back to Tony, who lifted his gaze from Ziva to me. His hazel eyes silently questioning me. I smiled at him and her turned his attention back to Ziva. She cleared her throat and began.

“Is your first name Anthony?”
“Yes”
“Is your last name DiNozzo?”
“Yes” he smiled.
“Are you a Special Agent with NCIS?”
“Yes”
“Okay, now some tougher questions?”
He nodded.
“Have you ever bought a gift for a woman you liked?”
He shifted in his seat, then answered, “Yes”
“Are you currently romantically involved with anyone?”
“No”
“Do you want to be?”
“Yes” his eyes dropped from her gaze and I held my breath, silently praying, please don't let it be Tony. Please don't let it be Tony. Please don't let it be Tony. Her next question shocked Tony and I.
“Do any of us know this woman?”
His gaze intensified on her face. He was searching for answers. Finally he answered.
“Yes.” he exhaled loudly. His eyes dropping to his lap. Ziva turned and looked at me. Her face showed little emotion but her eyes where a mix of pain and heartbreak. I knew in an instant of her feeling for him.
“Does she work her at the Navy Yard?”
He nodded his head. She said, “Answer the question”
“Yes” I knew what was next and I held by breath.
“Is it Abby?” Tony's eyes shot up, glancing form Ziva to me and back again. He began to laugh. A deep Tony laugh. He shook his head. A 1,000 watt smile creasing his face. His eyes met Ziva's and the smile dropped from his lips. Replaced by an intense look, I had never seen on Tony before.
“No” I exhaled, loudly. They both looked up at me. I smiled and clapped my hands over my mouth. Ziva continued.
“So you are not the one giving Abby gifts?” Her voice cracking slightly.
“Nope.. I mean no” Just as Ziva was about to ask another question, my office door swung open.

“What the hell is going on here.” I looked up to see Gibbs staring at Tony and Ziva. I leapt off my desk and stood next to him. He looked down at me, “Abby, do you have anything to do with this?” I smiled up at him. “Yup.” He stood silent for a few seconds, taking it all in. Then he smiled slightly and said,” Okay. I just came down to get you. It's the night before your birthday. I thought we would have dinner.” I smiled up at him and enveloped him in a huge hug.

“You remembered.”

He glanced down at me,”Of course I did.” I let him go, removed my lab coat and grabbed my cloak. As Gibbs and I headed out the office door, Tony called out,” Uh...Boss. You think you can help me out here.” Gibbs looked back at him. His smile becoming broader,”Ziva, don't hurt him. He still needs to work tomorrow.” Ziva looked back, a smile breaking across her face,”Of course, Gibbs.” As we headed out of the lab I could hear Tony call out,” Aww, come on Boss. Help me out here. Boss? Boss?” We just kept walking.


Dinner with Gibbs.......


We sat across from one another. I silently picked at my salad and he cut into his steak. He glanced up at me a few time before finally speaking. “What's on your mind, Abs?” I looked up at him, knowing I couldn't get anything past him. “I'm out of suspects but the note I got today said I would be getting one more gift tomorrow.” He looked at me for a minute, then said,” I saw how you questioned Tony. How did you eliminate McGee.” Leave it to the master investigator to question me. I fidgeted with the new bracelet on my left wrist and said,”He was in my lab today when this arrived.” I extended my arm out for him to see. He held my wrist still and looked over the piece of jewelry. He released my wrist a minute later. “And?” was all he said. I exhaled loudly, “Gibbs, I know Timmy... I mean Tim. I know when he is lying. He didn't even blink an eye.”

“Mmmhmm” was all he said. I was shocked,”What does that mean?” I know I was getting a little defensive so I stopped. Gibbs smiled at me and said,”Just that we all change. Everyone of us. You may not know him like you think you do” I shook my head, “Nope, I know Tim like the back of my hand.” He raised his eyes and gazed at me. A look of shock written on his face. I rushed,” I just mean that.. uh... we are friends...we spend a lot of time together...uh, there is no one I know better except you.” He nodded his head. I let the subject drop. After dinner, he drove me back to the Navy Yard parking structure. I noticed that both Ziva and Tony's cars where still there. I had to remember to ask her about what happened tomorrow. I got out and said, Thanks, Gibbs. Dinner was nice” He smiled, “You're welcome, Abs.” As I got in to my hearse and started it up he pulled up next to me. Rolling down his window he said,” Just remember, Abby. Suspects sometimes lie” I sat there my mouth open wide in shock. He smiled and drove away, chuckling.