- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Luis in present day and Gibbs meets the new director.
Luis leaned against the bar, surveying the crowd as music thumped an unintelligible rhythm throughout the club. His attention turned to the man standing next to him as he leaned over, lips softly touching Luis' ear as he spoke.

"I don't see Bernadetti, you sure he's here?"

An annoyed look came over Puchalski's face as he turned to his companion. "We followed him in here, unless you were too busy staring at my ass to notice."

His partner scoffed before turning around to the bartender. "Due vetri di acqua." The bartender nodded and set about getting the drinks.

"There he is." Luis motioned with his head to a table on the upper level looking down on the bar and the throbbing crowd. "Come on Fletcher, let's get this over with."

As Luis pushed off the bar his partner grabbed his wrist, pulling him back. "Come on Puchalski, just one drink. What kind of a first date is this if you won't even have a drink."

The wide cheeky grin Luis was faced with almost made him waver. "Seb, we're on a case not a date."

"Does that mean you're not gonna put out?"

"Sebastian Fletcher that petty officer up there is wanted, not after we have a drink. Now. Do you have any idea the amount of strings the Director had to pull with the Italian authorities to let us deal with him?" With that Puchalski stalked off through the heaving crowd to a stairway almost hidden in the darkness, Fletcher following closely behind - grin never leaving his face.


_____________________________________________________________

Gibbs walked into MTAC, the room was packed and the screens filled with an empty desert road. Locating the director Gibbs sat on the step next to his chair.

"I want a protection detail at the hospital covering DiNozzo." Gibbs wasted no time on pleasantries, this was not a very pleasant night.

"I've already sent agents Sutton and Davis, they will coordinate with hospital security." Only now did the Director look from the dominating screen to Jethro. "Has there been any word on his condition?"

Gibbs turned to look from the Director, watching as a flurry of activity erupted around them and a vehicle could be seen entering the previously baron desert road. In the clatter of noise from the unusually busy room a loud explosion cut through, mirrored on the screen as the vehicle burst into flames. The rabble died down as the target was confirmed as hit and the room erupted into applause.

"Ducky says it's unlikely he'll walk again." A look of sorrow passed over the Director's face. "He's an asset though Director, in the field or not." Gibbs stated.

The Director's tongue met his cheek as he nodded, eyes on the floor. "That Jethro, is an argument you will have to take up with the new Director of NCIS." Gibbs' eyes widened in surprise before following the Director's eyeline to a familiar face.

"Just what I need." Gibbs remarked, the Director silently excused himself, pausing only to pat Jethro on the shoulder and quickly shake the new Director's hand.

"Is that so Special Agent Gibbs?" Jenny Shepherd's superior voice rang out and Gibbs could only think of the last time he'd seen her. She'd been in a place of submission rather than her new position of power.

"I've got one agent in the hospital and another…I need help not a walk down memory lane Director." Gibbs stood, towering over Shepherd.

"I understand Jethro, so what do you need?" She tried to placate him.

"A little help, all I have is McGee and he's green." Gibbs knew that McGee was good, he was smart and bridged a gap between the scientific side of their work and the investigative. The problem was that he really was still a probie. He was not ready to take on the responsibility that would be expected of him.

"I'll have someone sent over to help with the investigation. I hear Agent Cassidy has just landed at Norfolk, I'll have her report to you before I find someone more permanent."

"There's no investigation Jen, I'm going to find Ari and kill the son of a bitch."

"Gibbs you have no proof he is at fault, none of your agents saw him pull a trigger. I want an investigation not a vengeance fuelled killing spree."

"It was him, I know it was him." Gibbs turned on his heel and walked away, McGee and Balboa should have returned from canvasing the scene by now.

"Oh Gibbs, i'm really sorry about Todd and DiNozzo, from what I hear they were exceptional agents."

"DiNozzo still is Director." Jen nodded, this was sure to be something she would hear about later.

"Has his family been contacted?"

"His father has been informed, he said to be informed if funeral arrangements are required." Jethro walked out of MTAC leaving the Director alone in her new domain.

_____________________________________________________________