- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Gibbs ordered a double bourbon as soon as they sat down, staring out into space and motioning to Kelli’s laptop. “I need you to find some people. It’s important,” he said, wishing he was better at all the computer stuff. He could do it, but he didn’t know the tricks of getting into the databases that McGee did.

“Yeah, yeah,” Kelli grumbled, suppressing the need to simultaneously roll her eyes at his insistence and raise her eyebrows at his ordering a drink so early in the morning. Doing a general search, she began talking, letting him know what she found.

“Shannon Melissa Bartlett, born in Philadelphia, on May 29, 1962. Married a Patrick Mulligan in July 1981. Died of leukemia November 3, 1985. No children.” Looking up at him, a little afraid of his response, she asked, “Is there anything else you need me to run a search for?”

Gibbs swallowed his entire drink in one painful gulp, forcing the liquid down a throat that was closing with emotion. He scrubbed a hand over his face. “Dead? She’s dead?” She’d been in this world and she was dead now? Just like home. “Jackson and Elizabeth Gibbs, Stillwater, Pennsylvania. Born early nineteen thirties. Look them up next.” He paused a second then nodded, scribbling names on a napkin. “Abigail Sciuto, Donald Mallard, Caitlin Todd, Timothy McGee, Jennifer Shepard, Anthony DiNozzo, Ziva David, James Palmer, Brent Langer… Chris Pacci. Mike Franks. Need years of birth or locations on any of them.”

He had to know what was going on with his family, friends, and coworkers. If they were all okay.

“What is this, a hit list?” Kelli joked, trying to cover her confusion. “What do you need this information for anyhow, Boss? Shouldn’t you be getting ready for the meeting? You don’t want to show up drunk.”

Gibbs squinted at the glass, wishing he had another. “Why do you care? I need it, okay. I just…need it.” He shook his head rapidly, trying to come to terms with the unrealistic hope that Shannon was alive, dealing with the crushing reality that she was gone here as well. “Shan…” he said quietly, aware that he didn’t even have their pictures in his wallet. He had nothing tying him to his girls. Everything was…where he wasn’t now. And that pissed him off.

“Dammit, someone has to fix this,” he growled.

“Someone has to fix what, Boss?” Kelli was really starting to get freaked out. Not only did he not look like he normally did, but now her boss was starting to act crazy. She wondered if she’d have to set up a vacation for him. Somewhere warm and peaceful. It had worked before. Maybe it could again.

“Can’t explain,” he bit off. “I just need to know where those people are, what they’re doing, where they live, whether they’re married or single. And I need to know about Kelly Gibbs, born August 16, 1983 in Quantico, VA. I need this information. Soon. Then you can tell me about this damned meeting.”

“All right, all right. I have records on a Jackson Gibbs, Stillwater, PA. Guess he owns some sort of country store. Wife, Elizabeth deceased,” she said quickly, typing out a few names he gave her. “There’s no record of a Ziva David, Donald Mallard or James Palmer. There’s mention of an Anthony DiNozzo. Worked for Philadelphia PD, but died from anthrax poisoning. A Timothy McGee works in a think tank for the government, no information beyond that. One Jennifer Shepard is in prison for treasonous activities. Someone by the name of Abby Sciuto works in New Orleans.” Scoffing at the information she found out about, she laughed. “Apparently, she’s a television psychic and has a shop selling voodoo ritual items. According to this website, she’s also a witch for hire. And I can’t find mention of the rest of the names you’ve given me.”

Tony was dead? Knowing Shannon was gone, he’d expected the same fate for Kate, but Tony?? That one hurt. A lot. Tony had tried so hard to get Gibbs out of his shell that even though Tony didn’t know it, Gibbs thought of Tony like a younger brother, sometimes even the son he’d never had. “Anthony DiNozzo, dead,” he repeated, sucking in a deep breath and nodding, trying to come to terms with it.

And Jenny was in prison? Treason? Were McGee and Abbs the only one who had made it out of this okay? He stared down at his plate, knowing he needed to get home"soon. Yeah, they drove him crazy, but they were his team. His family. And he would never have admitted it to anyone, but he needed them.

He brushed a hand over his face, staring at the plates that were being delivered. “I know this doesn’t make sense. Bear with me. I need to know about Kelly Gibbs, Kelly Gibbs, born August 16, 1983 in Quantico, VA.” He didn’t want to beg, but the most important name was the one she hadn’t checked yet.

“Like I said, there’s no mention of any of those other names you gave me, including Kelly Gibbs, born in Quantico or otherwise. Boss, you haven’t made any sense since I came by your place this morning. Need anything else looked up right now? Or can we eat?” Kelli knew her tone was sarcastic and snarky, but she just couldn’t seem to help herself.

“Eat, what’s a few thousand calories on hips like that anyway,” he shot back just as sarcastically. With three ex-wives, he knew how to throw a few verbal barbs of his own. It wasn’t wise to alienate her, but he couldn’t muster up the urge to care. Tony was dead. And Shannon…Kelly…they were gone. Jenny was in prison. He had to find Abbs. Maybe she hadn’t changed too much.

Slamming her laptop closed, Kelli stood up, throwing it into her bag. “I think I’m not hungry. Think I’ll go get the documents ready for the meeting. Find another ride. Just don’t be late. Enjoy your lunch.” Pushing the chair out from underneath her, Kelli stormed out of the restaurant.

He swore quietly, shaking his head. He had no idea about the meeting, what it was about, where it was. Hell, at least he had the other guy’s license so he knew how and where to go. He got both meals to go and asked them to call him a cab. As soon as he was home"or what house counted for home, even though it was foreign to him"he booted up the computer. He had to find McGee and Abbs. They’d help him, they had to.