- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs tries to fix his broken marriage. But after promising Sarai that she was right to trust him and then leaving her alone with their two new-born children, he's beginning to realize just how easy it is to break a heart beyond repair.
The house was empty. Well, not empty, but empty of her. Gibbs sighed, dropping down on a box in the basement. Of course she’d have cleared out when he decided to stay in Mexico, and of course she’d have done it so thoroughly. She used to do this for a living, you idiot, he thought to himself. There was nothing left in the house that hadn’t been there before she moved in, nothing to show that she’d existed in his world at all. He shook his head, furious with himself. “Why didn’t I come home when you asked me to baby girl?” he asked himself quietly.
“Am I interrupting something?” asked Fornell from the top of the stairs.
“What do you what Tobias?” sighed Gibbs. He didn’t feel like trying to explain to the man what was going on.
Fornell’s expression was solemn. “A favour.”



Gibbs waited for the rest of the team to leave autopsy before asking his question. “Have you talked to Razi lately, Ducky?” he asked quietly.
“No.” replied the ME tersely.
“Would you tell me if you had?” asked Gibbs, wryly.
“No.” repeated Ducky. “You knew what it would do to that girl to break her heart, yet you did it anyway. Now would be a good time for you to break your moratorium on apologies, but it still wouldn’t make up for what you’ve done.”
“I know that Duck.” Sighed Gibbs. “I know there’s nothing I can do, but I’ve got to try.”
Ducky turned on the agent, furious. “That girl put every last bit of trust she had into you, and you walked away from her, Jethro. If you had any heart at all, you’d stay the hell away from her. Let her heal in her own way and stop breaking open old wounds. And get rid of that damn mustache!”



It was a long shot, she’d probably left Virginia entirely, but it was worth checking. He kept telling himself this as he parked at Waverly and headed towards his wife’s classroom, or what had been her room if she was gone. The mustache was gone, and he’d looked everywhere else before going to talk to her in such a public place. He breathed a sigh of relief when he heard her voice, clear and confident, from inside the room. Just to be on the safe side, he waited outside the door until the bulk of the students had left, and then went in. She looked up once at the sound of his footsteps, then went back to her papers, ignoring him completely. He rolled his eyes. It was better than being shot at, he supposed. He came up to the table and touched shoulder lightly. “Hey.” He said quietly, watching her dark head. “Can we talk?”
“Not unless you are comfortable being yelled at in Hebrew.” She replied, not looking up. “Why don’t you go back to your damn beach, Jethro, I am sure Camilla is wondering where you are.”
“I don’t have an excuse, Raz.” He began carefully, but she cut him off, her tone biting.
“Oh, that will be a first, will it not?” she laughed, her accent getting heavier as she fought with her emotions. “Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs admitting he has done something wrong. Go tell your team you are sorry, Jethro, because I do not want to hear it.”
She got up and started to walk away, but he grabbed her arm, pulling her back. “Well you’re going to.” He retorted, frustrated. “We have a half an hour, and I’m going to use it.”
Sarai looked him in the eye, and for once he couldn’t read what they were saying, couldn’t read her. “No, I am.” She replied quietly. She strode to her office and he followed, a little nervous about being alone with her. She closed the door behind him and turned around, her expression cool. “I put up barriers for a reason, Jethro, I have every reason never to trust anyone. But you were never very good with boundaries, were you? You broke down every wall I ever put up, you made me trust you, you made me love you, you just kept working at it until I had nothing left to protect me. All that time, I was telling you things, letting you decide what happened to us, I was yours, completely, and what I got back was ‘I love you’, and that was enough. I believed you every time you said it, and when the babies were born, you looked so happy, and I thought, maybe I had gotten through a little of your shell, maybe you could be happy like that, with me. But you were not. Me, Jaedyn and Benjamin, we were not enough to hold you here. You made decisions for you, Jethro, not for us. You did not know what you wanted.” He had listened to her rant in silence and now that she was done, she was waiting for one of his arguments, but he didn’t make one. He just stood quietly, watching her with sad eyes. Finally, she couldn’t take the silence anymore and she fell. “Are you going to say something?” she demanded.
He shrugged. “You’re right.” Was all he said. She just stared at him, surprised. “I had no idea what I wanted or what I was doing, all I knew was that in ’99 we were in love, and you might have the answers I needed about Ari. I had no right to come back into your life the way I did, but the second I saw you, it was like being back in Moscow when you were walking next to me, letting me hold you, and you just looked so sweet and beautiful. I couldn’t help myself, I never can with you. The year I had with you was better than anything I could have imagined and it was only getting better. I just got so confused with the coma, nothing made any sense, and I was just trying to figure out how to make everything fit together in my head again. I know I screwed up, no one has to tell me that, and nothing I do or say is going to make up for it, there is no excuse. But I’ve spent all of the last five months trying to figure out where the hell I went wrong, and I know what I want now. I want my family, my beautiful spy,” he reached out hesitantly, and she let him touch her cheek. “My kids, my team, that’s my family, and I’m begging you to give me just one more chance. I won’t screw up this time, I swear.” His hand was pressed to her cheek and he stepped closer, expecting her to pull away, to yell at him, something, but she stayed perfectly still, her eyes locked on his, frozen. He slipped his hands into her hair and pressed his lips to hers carefully.
Both of their breathing was ragged as he moved hesitantly to her jaw, her neck, her throat. “If you do anything like this again, I will kill you.” She whispered, closing her eyes and letting the sensations wash over her.
“Ducky’ll get to me first.” Laughed Gibbs quietly, pulling back but keeping one arm coiled around her waist and the other rubbing her cheek soothingly. “Does everyone react this strongly to you?”
“Only men.” She replied, smiling with amusement. “Women are much better letting me take care of myself.”
He smiled back, letting go of her waist to twine his fingers with hers. “Are these women who know you’re packing?” he asked dryly.
“No, only you and Ducky know about that.” she replied smugly. “I know what I am doing, Jethro, I have been doing it for....” the door opened and a dark, petite college girl jumped, embarrassed, as Sarai freed herself from her husband. “Yes Sarah?” murmured the Israeli, slightly flushed.
“Oh, God Professor, I’m sorry, I...I can come back.” Stammered Sarah.
Gibbs offered an easy smile. “It’s alright, I was just leaving.” He maneuvered around the girl, nodding to the two women as he left.
“What can I do for you Sarah?” asked Sarai again, a little more controlled this time.



Sarah McGee leaned back against the wall, watching her brother work quietly. “I saw your boss at my school today.” She said conversationally.
McGee glanced up, surprised. “Doing what?” he asked, curiously. “NCIS doesn’t have any business there.”
Sarah cocked her head pointedly. “But he did. Very, very hot business.”
“Gibbs is dating a college student?” asked McGee incredulously.
“No, one of the professors.” She corrected. “Uh, Political History, Davis I think.”
“How could you tell they’re dating?” he asked curiously.
She rolled her eyes. “It was kind of obvious, they were standing reeeally close together,” she pressed her hands together to make a point and then twined her fingers together. “And they were holding hands, and he had his hand on her cheek and everything. She’s married you know, I saw the ring.”
“Not to Gibbs.” Commented McGee dryly, leaning back in his chair. “He’s been married four times, and he’s as much of a player as Tony. Plus, he just got back from Mexico a month ago.”
“They’re having an affair?” Sarah shook her head. “Weird.”
“Huh.” He frowned again. “Gibbs doesn’t seem like the type. Then again, that might be why he’s been married four times. What’s she look like?”
Sarah thought for a moment, picturing the dark beauty. “Green eyes, black hair, probably dyed, body like a swimsuit model.” She said decidedly.
“Sounds more like Tony’s thing than Gibbs’s.” Laughed McGee. “I’m sure you’re just missing some part of the story.”



He came back that evening, just as she was packing up. “I don’t suppose you’ve forgiven me enough to come home.” He observed quietly.
“I am just not ready yet.” Sighed Sarai, latching her bag. “It has been too long, and I still.... We just need to give this time.”
He nodded, looking disappointed, but not surprised. “Can I at least say ‘hi’ to the twins before you go?” he asked.
“Yeah.” She bit her lip gently. “Come on. They are getting so big, you know, and Ben’s eyes are getting lighter.” She led the way out to the child-development centre and when they got there, she signed the log, turning to the woman who had come over to greet them. “How did they do today, Kelsey?” she asked with a smile, going over and picking up Jaedyn. The little girl didn’t put up too much of a fuss about being buckled in, although her expression was quite clear about not liking it.
“They were fine, Kyra, Ben’s just been quite happy about being able to move around these last couple of days. Jae’s really quiet, though, and I haven’t found anything she’s interested in besides the people. She just sits and watches.” The young woman frowned slightly, helping Sarai gather the pieces that had spread from the twins’ bag.
Sarai laughed, petting her daughter’s head briefly. “She takes after me.” She murmured. She caught up Ben as the boy sped towards her on all fours. “Just like this one takes after his father.” She added. Ben was buckled in next to his sister before he had a chance to put up a fight and the two babies exchanged a furious look. Gibbs smiled, fully aware that the statement was aimed at him more than the young woman. “Speaking of which....” Sarai glanced at him dryly. “Kelsey, this is my husband, Jethro. He has been away for a while.”
“Nice to meet you.” Smiled Kelsey, shaking Gibbs’s hand.
“You too.” He agreed. “I’ll get those Kyra.” He shouldered the twins’ bag and Sarai’s as well, nodding to Kelsey as he moved away.
Kelsey peeked after him. “Strong and silent type, huh?” she observed sympathetically.
“Marines.” Replied Sarai, and Kelsey’s expression lit up with understanding. “What can you do? Thank you Kelsey.” She pushed the stroller after Gibbs, heading towards the car. She settled Jae and Ben into their car seats and popped the trunk, putting everything else into it. Gibbs was standing by the open door, playing quietly with Ben. She folded her arms across her chest, watching. “Benjamin never stops moving, Jaedyn never really started, she is a perfectionist watches her brother first, then does it on her own. They are both stubborn as hell, he has got a word or two, she does not make much sound at all.”
“I’m sorry baby.” He sighed, looking up at her sadly. “I never meant to for this to happen.”
She avoided his eyes carefully. “You could have called.” She pointed out. “I did not change my number.”
He nodded slowly. “I was afraid you’d hang up.” He said softly. “Look, I know this sounds pathetic, but please don’t make me go home alone again. Waking up without you for six months is more than I care to deal with.”
“You are right.” She replied, closing the car door gently. “It does sound pathetic. If you think it was any easier for me, Jethro, you are mistaken, but I am not ready to trust you that much right now. I have to go.” She walked around to the other side of the car and got in, backing out carefully. He watched her drive away and headed over to his own car. He hadn’t expected it to be easy, but he was beginning to realize how much he’d been hoping it would be.



Sarai started awake to the sound of her phone buzzing on the nightstand, switching the lamp on. She pushed herself up, tucking it under her ear. “Davis.” She murmured tiredly, rubbing her eyes.
“I woke you up didn’t I? Sorry.”
His voice made her even more awake and she pushed the covers back, glancing at the clock. 8:30, was it really so early? It felt later somehow. “Jethro. No, I.... Never mind. What is it?”
“Just taking you up on your suggestion to call.” He replied. “Have you been at Ducky’s this whole time?”
She started. “You followed me?” she laughed. “That is sweet Jethro, a little creepy, but sweet.”
“I’d come in to see you, but I’m a little afraid of Ducky right now.” Said Gibbs, amusedly.
“That’s probably a good idea.” She agreed, then paused. “Wait, are you here?”
She could hear the smile in his voice. “Look out your window Juliet.”
She got up slowly, moving to the window and pulling back the curtains, and there he was. He raised a hand, giving her a little wave, and she smiled. “You brought me flowers.” She observed quietly.
“I remembered that you said you liked white roses once.” He said hopefully. “I was hoping I could ask my wife out on a date. I’ll even cook.”
“It will have to be a double date.” She murmured, sitting down on the window seat and tucking her feet underneath her. “It is almost impossible to get a sitter for two infants.”
“I wouldn’t want it any other way Raz.” He assured her.
She bit her lip, glancing at the twins, sleeping quietly. “Alright.” Then, just to earn back her advantage she teased, “I didn’t know you could cook.”
“I can’t.” he laughed. “But I’ll try. It can’t be that hard, can it?”
She smiled, stifling laughter. “Not all of it.” She agreed, amused. “Goodnight, Jethro.”
“Goodnight Razi.” She let the curtain fall back across the window and turned out the light as she curled back up under the covers. The sound of a car door closing and the engine turning over told her that he had left. She sighed and buried her face in the pillow. Damn him for being so sweet, she thought to herself. But it was too late, she was falling all over again.



She had parked in the driveway five minutes ago, but she couldn’t get out. All she kept doing was replying the various scenes from the last couple of days, Gibbs’s very persuasive argument at the college, his performance at Ducky’s house, and of course, Ducky’s reaction to hearing about it.
“He’s trying Ducky, he really is.” She insisted. “He really does mean it.”
The Scotsman just looked at her and, as always, she was sure he could see right through her, just like Jasper always had. “It’s not me you need to convince of that my dear.” Was all he said.
Sarai sighed and opened the door. As if on cue, Gibbs came out front, pulling Jaedyn out of her car-seat carefully. The little girl looked at him for a moment and then curled into him with a contented sound. He smiled softly, a little surprised by the interaction. “She remembers you.” Sarai told him quietly. “She is very shy, takes a while to accept new people.”
“A child of habit.” He laughed, nestling Jae into his shoulder. “What a surprise.” Sarai rolled her eyes at him and picked up Ben, shouldering the inevitable baby-bag. “Come on, dinner’s ready.”



It only took a month or so for her to move back in, it really was nice to have help with the twins, and Gibbs was very good with kids. He remained sweet and careful, not wanting to push whatever trust he’d gained with her. But his caution only made it harder for her to hold her barriers up, and it wasn’t long before she realized that they were moving around each other comfortably again. There were no more eggshells to walk on and she no longer felt that flash of uncertainty when he said he loved her. The twins were just a couple of months short of a year old and her own birthday was approaching quickly. She decided that for once in her adult life, she would find a way to celebrate, and she was pretty sure she knew how to do it. When she woke up that morning, she sighed, not particularly happy about being thirty, and rolled over, burying her face in the pillow. She felt him move next to her, and he ran his hand along her back gently. “What’s wrong?” He asked, concerned. His throat went dry as he caught sight of the flash of scarlet silk under the blankets, right next to creamy white skin. She may have moved back in, and he wasn’t sleeping on the couch, but, aside from a few stray kisses, their relationship had remained strictly platonic since he got back. He recognized this as a sign of some lingering trust issues, and hadn’t pushed at all, but he was starting to go a little crazy. “Raz?”
“Today is my birthday.” She replied, her voice muffled by the pillow, and she turned her head to look at him, resting it on her arms. “And I feel older.”
He smiled, relieved. “You don’t look older.” He laughed, pushing the covers back. “You haven’t changed much in the last decade, baby girl.”
“Thank you Jethro.” She murmured, smiling gratefully. She got up and walked over to the dresser, pulling out the red silk top that she knew drove him crazy and a pair of jeans.
He watched her dress, trying not to swallow his tongue at the way the fabric curved with her body. “So how old are you?” he asked curiously.
“Thirty.” She replied absently, fixing her hair. She glanced back at him, her eyes tracing the lines of his body for a second. “Thirty and married for a year and a half. That is not something I ever expected to say about myself.”
“You don’t give yourself enough credit.” Murmured Gibbs, his eyes soft. “So, since it’s your birthday, do you want to do anything?”
“No.” she leaned over and kissed him softly, slipping her tongue past his lips to explore gently. “The last time I celebrated a birthday, I was sixteen years old, and I do not care to remember that particular birthday.”
He frowned. “Why not?”
Her eyes lifted to his, her body still leaning to be near his lips, and she moved her fingers through the short hair at his temples. “Grandperé had just died.” She replied quietly, her eyes darting to his mouth and back, and she kissed him again. “My mother was trying to cheer me up, but I was not interested.” She straightened up, self-consciously. “I’d better go wake Ben and Jae.” She disappeared and he felt a stab of guilt at having to ask a stupid question at the same time as he was grateful that she trusted him enough again to answer at all. He sighed, rubbing his eyes, and got up. By the time he’d showered, dressed, and made his way out to the kitchen, Sarai had gotten both the twins up and ready to go. He never ceased to be impressed by the way she managed to keep their adventurous son out of trouble without looking like other harried mothers. He picked the little boy up just in time to keep him out of the silverware drawer. “You do love trouble, my little man.” He laughed, rubbing Ben’s back lightly.
Ben stuck his thumb in his mouth, a self-satisfied smile on his face, and giggled. “No trouble.” He announced decidedly. “No trouble, Papá.”
“Yeah, that’s what you said yesterday, too.” Chuckled Gibbs, setting him back down on the ground. Ben trundled over to the table and sat down on the floor, still looking quite pleased with himself. Gibbs glanced back at Sarai to see her watching him amusedly. “Just what you needed, huh? Another troublemaker around the house.”
“At least Ben is still too small to do much.” She teased lightly. “I hate to think what will happen when he figures out that he can climb things.” She handed him his coffee. “Say hello to Ducky for me. And thank him for dinner the other night, it was very sweet of him.” Gibbs and Ducky had been getting along a lot better since Sarai had forgiven her husband and now their friendship was pretty much back to normal. The older Scotsman adored Ben and Jae and would often stop by for brief visits with his ‘niece and nephew’. So far, Ben had figured out how to say Ducky, and Jaedyn had stopped hiding her face in her mother’s arms when he came over, even reaching out to be held by the ME on occasion.
“I will.” He agreed. “Good luck with the tests today.”
She rolled her eyes and pushed him towards the door gently. “I ought to make you grade them for that.” she muttered. He gave her a little wave and got into the car, driving off.



A small box sat on his desk when he got in to work that morning, and he picked it up curiously. He frowned curiously when he recognized Sarai’s handwriting across the cardboard, slicing through the tape with a pair of scissors. He glanced inside and started, his eyes darkening at the contents. He pulled out the small receipt slip and blinked, incredulous. What the hell...?



McGee wasn’t really paying attention to his boss, but the sound of Gibbs opening something made him look up. The team leader’s reaction was completely bizarre and McGee watched, puzzled, for a second as Gibbs put the little slip of paper and tucked the box under his desk, taking an extra big sip of coffee and turning on his computer. Gibbs glanced up at his agent, trying very hard to keep his expression clear but still a little wide-eyed, and McGee was surprised by the openness on his usual unreadable face. “What are looking at, McGee?” asked Gibbs, none of his usual annoyance in his voice.
“Uh, nothing Boss.” Replied McGee, confused. “I just....Never mind.” He went back to his report, wondering what had made his boss seem so...surprised.



When Gibbs’s cell rang and he recognized his wife’s number on the screen he swallowed. “Yeah?” he answered warily.
“I take it you got my package.” She said, amused.
“Uh huh.” He agreed, wishing he could find a way to make the conversation sound more normal as he noticed Tony’s ears perk up at his caution. “I’m not exactly clear on the purpose, though.”
“You have been a...perfect gentleman.” She purred on the other line. “I thought this would make a very good birthday present, do you agree?”
“I don’t really have an answer for that.” he sighed, getting up and striding over to the elevator. He hit the button and waited impatiently for the silver doors to open.
“It was not very nice of me, I suppose.” He could practically hear her smile. “But I really could not help it. It has been...” she paused, thinking. “About a year since I got to make love with you.”
He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment and stepped through the elevator doors quickly, slamming a button, any button, a little harder than he’d meant to. “I know.” He replied carefully, watching the doors slide closed and begging them to hurry up. As soon as they were closed, he shut off the elevator. “I’ve been waiting for you to say you were ready.” He said, a little less strain in his voice.
She noticed the difference, that much he knew. “I am ready.” She purred seductively. “I even got all dressed up for you.”
He closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the metal walls. Any hope he’d had of not spending the rest of the day picturing her in that damn shirt had just flown out the window. “What happened to you not celebrating birthdays, Razi?” he teased.
“My seducing you has nothing to do with my birthday.” She murmured.
“Oh, okay. I suppose you think you’re going to get away without me giving any hell back for this.” He observed, amused.
“I had hoped so.” She agreed.
“You know me better than that, baby girl.” Laughed Gibbs. “You should have stuck with subtle, I’ve got warning, and I’m going to plan on a little fun for myself now.” He could hear her breath hitch and smiled, pleased. “But I don’t give hints. You’re just going to have try to figure it out all by yourself.”



They had both been going slowly crazy all day, each one having placed an idea in the other’s mind about what their secret surprise was. Unfortunately, Gibbs knew that Sarai had the advantage of days to plan her seduction, rather than just a few last minute ideas, and her teases were much tangible, much more difficult to escape from. The worst part was that damn receipt. Why the hell would she have bought.... No. He cut off that line of thinking, making another fruitless attempt to think only about work. Damnit, he was just going to have to wait, and waiting had never been something he was good at.



The house was in absolute darkness when he got home, but her car was in the driveway, so he knew she was home. He pushed the door open carefully and moved through the rooms one by one, getting a bit nervous. He climbed the stairs and peeked into Jae and Ben’s bedroom carefully. Both of the twins were fast asleep and he closed the door again silently. He continued down the hallway to their room and stepped inside. She closed the door and locked it behind him, sliding her hands up over his shoulders. “I hope you brought that box home with you.” She murmured, pulling his jacket off.
He turned around, pushing her up against the wall and setting his lips just barely touching hers. “Whoops.” He replied with a smile. “You only got half your order anyway.”
“Oh, I got all of it.” She smiled back.
She slipped her fingers into his hair and yanked his mouth down, gasping as he slid his hands up her sides. They caught on the soft fabric of her shirt and he controlled the desire to twist his fingers into the fabric and see if it would hold under pressure. She trembled, feeling like he was going to swallow her whole, and she pressed as close as she could. He smiled against her mouth and pulled back, toying with her hair carelessly. “Well, I think this is going to be my night.” He informed her confidently. “So you won’t need it.”
She cocked her head to one side, interested. “What exactly makes you think I will give up so easily?”
“You’ve never exactly been the dominant one in bed, Raz.” He pointed out. “All I have to do is make you lose your breath once,” he undid the buttons on her shirt slowly. “And this becomes my seduction.”
“Arrogant.” She rasped, raising an eyebrow at him.
“It’s not arrogance if it’s true.” He retorted. She gazed up at him for a second and then darted away. He caught her by the waist, curling one arm tightly around her, and pulled her back against his chest. He played with the hem of her shirt for a minute before letting it hit the ground. “I really like that shirt.” He said thoughtfully. And then he began his touching, brushing his fingers over her skin, exploring every part of her that he could reach. After almost a year and a bout of memory loss, he wanted to relearn every part of her body before he made love to her again, it felt a little like starting over. He was fascinated by the way she reacted to his touches, how soft she felt and how breakable, how quiet her sounds were, barely loud enough for him to hear, and the way she moved to fit his intentions. He pressed his lips to the crook of her neck, breathing in deeply. “You taste incredible.” He murmured against her skin, appreciating her soft gasp at his words. “I missed this.”
She laughed breathlessly, turning to capture his mouth with her own. “I am glad to hear it.” She purred. “I guess this is your night.” His mouth curved into a smile and he traced a scar on her hip lightly, making a mental note of the fact that it made her whimper and press back into him. He found another scar and followed it from beginning to end, establishing the pattern. She loved it when he touched those marks of her dangerous past, even if she would never talk about how she got them. Then he found one on her belly, the one that had made her pregnancy so dangerous, and he flattened his palm against her, looking at her with a question in his eyes. She shook her head slowly and he kissed the tip of her nose. “Two is plenty.” He promised her softly. “I love you Razi.”
“I love you too Jethro.” She pushed at her jeans impatiently and he laughed, amused. He helped her slide them down her legs, happy to have more to explore, and soon she was lost in his caresses, abandon written across her face. He brushed past her sex and she stumbled a little, catching herself on the bed frame. Her lips parted in a whisper-soft cry as he kept his fingers working against her and she trembled in his arms, desperate. Suddenly he stopped, placing a kiss on the back of her neck to show that he was done exploring, and she let out a mewl of confusion. He picked her up and carried her over to the bed, hovering over her and kissing her until she was drowning. Clothes melted away along with caution, and he started tracing designs over her skin, leaving behind a trail of silky powder. She cuffed him lightly on the side of the head as he kissed along the trails, smiling. “I thought you forgot it at the office.” She laughed, arcing into his kisses.
“Weird.” He rasped back. “I could’ve sworn it was still under my desk. I think I like the way you taste without the honey-dust better.” He added thoughtfully.
Sarai lifted the container out of his hand and set it on the nightstand, wrapping her arms around his neck. “It was not for you.” She purred silkily. “I had other plans for it, for us, when I thought I would be running tonight’s entertainment.”
“Maybe later.” He cupped her cheek, kissing her deeply. “I think I’ve got a better plan for right now.”



There’s a visible change in interactions between people when they’ve slept together, some small decrease in tension once they’re no longer trying to fend off their desire for fear of rejection or some other damage. It’s not always something the couple themselves notice, but in this case, it was quite clear to both Gibbs and Sarai that the atmosphere had changed with this ‘new’ section of their life. Sarai lay her head on his chest, his arm draped around her shoulders. “That felt...very good.” He sighed, pressing his lips to her forehead contentedly.
“There would be very little point if it did not.” She pointed out dryly, licking her lips. Her body was humming pleasantly and she twisted her hair into a coil, letting it spill over her breasts. She was quiet for a moment and he glanced at her, curious, wondering where she was. “I think....” She began finally. “I think we should talk Jethro. There are...a couple of things I should tell you.”
He sat up carefully, pulling her with him and she leaned back on his chest. “I’m all ears.” He promised. If she was actually going to talk to him about her life, he certainly wanted to hear it, and he wouldn’t make it any harder than it already was for her.
She chewed on her lip slowly. “In Russia, you asked me what my name was, and later you told me I could call you by your first name. But we both made substitutions. Jethro is your middle name, and Razi...Razi is mine.”
He played with a lock of dark hair gently, resting his chin on the crown of her head. “I never expected you to have given me a name that would help me find you, not that first day.” He shrugged. “And I didn’t really expect you to fix the record either, I’m glad you feel safe enough to do it though.”
“You are my husband, now more than ever.” She replied thoughtfully. “We are a different kind of partner than Ziva and Agent DiNozzo are, then Michael and I were, but we are still partners in life, and partners have to be able to trust and rely on each other. I know I trust you, but for you to truly do the same, I have to tell you the truth, or at the very least tell you that I cannot say.” She twined her fingers with his, eyes on the thin gold band around her finger. “The one thing I owe you, though, is my name.”
“You don’t owe me anything.” He corrected gently. “And I do trust you, with my life, but I would love to know your name anyway.”
“Sarai.” She told him quietly. “Sarai Razi Davíd.”
“That explains a lot actually.” He laughed. “Does Ziva know?”
She shook her head sadly. “No. My half-sisters.... I tried to protect them as best I could, you know? But there is only so much you can do. Tahlia is dead, and Ziva, she has a broken heart. But at least neither of them ever had to do the things I did, at least Ziva has had you and your team to keep her from getting completely lost. I never did thank you for that.”
“Ziva’s a good girl.” Replied Gibbs, proudly. “I wouldn’t have been doing my job if I didn’t teach her how to survive at NCIS.”
“Thank you, regardless.” She tipped her head back to kiss his jaw. “And thank you for listening.”
Gibbs sank back down under the covers, holding her in his arms so that she was surrounded by his bigger body. “I like that you trust me.” He told her, shrugging. “If it’s important enough for you to want to talk about it, it’s important for me to listen.” She was warm and safe in his arms, and he could see the sleep in her eyes. “Go to sleep baby girl.” He soothed. “We have forever now, remember?” She smiled and let her eyes fall closed. He watched as her breathing leveled out, dark lashes sweeping her cheeks as she slept, and he sighed heavily. Somewhere in Tel Aviv, a very pissed of Director of Mossad thought his eldest daughter had been missing for almost two years. Damnit.
Chapter End Notes:
I know, I know, I'm a romantic, and this is a total indulence of that trait, but it's worth it, I promise.