- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Cali introduces her new friend to her father and gets an unexpected offer from the new Director of NCIS.
After school got out, Jacob found her again and offered to share a cab out to the Navy Yard if she was going that way. She accepted and the two of them hailed a taxi outside the school, giving the NCIS headquarters address. A half an hour later, they got out, tipping the driver, and headed into the building. Cali wasn’t entirely sure why she’d decided to come here instead of going home, maybe just because she didn’t think of it as home yet. It still felt like Gibbs’s house to her, and she didn’t feel comfortable staying there alone all afternoon, especially without any homework to do (which she knew very well had only happened in classes that she was in). But whatever it was, she was here now, and she realized that she was about to show up at her father’s work with a boy. Oh. Shit. She fidgeted a little in the elevator, and if Jacob noticed he didn’t say anything. She took a deep breath as the doors slid open and they stepped out, one after the other. “Hi Tim.” She greeted brightly, dragging a chair over and sitting down between his and Gibbs’s desks.
She didn’t completely ignore her father, but she only gave him a brief nod of acknowledgement. He suppressed the urge to roll his eyes and eyed the boy who’d come in after her with some suspicion. He’d settled himself next to Ziva and the two were chatting comfortably, not that this was particularly reassuring for him. “did you need something Cal?” he asked, deciding to get to the point.
Cali shrugged, still not knowing what to say about why she’d come. “I figured here was as good a place to be as any.” She replied. “And that it would be the more interesting of my options. I was thinking maybe I could use the gym.”
“I don’t think anyone reserved it for today, so yeah, that shouldn’t be a problem.” He said. “Who’s your friend?”
She’d been expecting this at some point, but she was pleased by how casually he asked. She didn’t really feel that he had earned the right to be protective yet. They might get along just fine, and she intended to give him every shot, like her mother had asked, but it didn’t mean that he was her father. Not yet. “This is Jacob, he’s Ziva’s cousin, he goes to my school.” And he’s really sweet, she added in her own head. She didn’t dare say it out loud, though, or the thought about him being really cute too.... She shook herself a little and bounced back out of her chair. “Alright, bye guys.” She announced, heading over to the stairs.
“Cal!” Gibbs called her back. “Why don’t you bring Jacob with you? Maybe you can show him around a little.” She understood what he was doing. He was offering her a chance to hang out on her own with a boy he knew she liked. In an office full of armed federal agents, maybe, but there would be no parental supervision.
“Sure.” She replied, like it was no big deal, but her eyes glowed at her father. “Come on Jacob.”
He watched the two teenagers head out, not liking the way Jacob’s eyes never left Cali. He turned back to the bull-pen with a scowl and Tony glanced at him. “Boss, you do realize you just sent your daughter off on her own with a boy, right?” he pointed out nervously. He wasn’t sure whether or not this comment would get him a head-slap.
“Yeah, I’m aware of that, DiNozzo.” Growled Gibbs. “I may have to kill your cousin, Ziva, but if I’m forced to do so, he may as well die happy.”



She’d changed into the gym clothes in her bag quickly and was now beating up a punching bag, her face twisted in grim concentration as she pummeled the bag with her fists. Her hair was pinned up in a messy ponytail/bun and she was wearing a tank-top and sweatpants for better maneuverability, and no shoes or socks. She hated wearing things on her feet, it felt too contained. She could feel several pairs of eyes on her, and felt a stab of pride that she could draw the impressed gaze of the adult agents with her fighting. But there was one pair that felt different from the others and she knew it was Jacob, watching her with interest. She could tell that she fascinated him and she liked it, it felt nice to have someone look at her that way. She enjoyed the knowledge that she could draw the attention of a future or present Mossad operative, it gave her an ego boost of about six points out of ten. Suddenly, she felt a second pair of different eyes. These were also interested, but not the same way. It wasn’t attraction, it was like an art critic looking at a newly discovered piece by a famous artist, appraising and trying to figure out if she was worth anything to him. He seemed to decide that she was, because she felt the body heat next to her as he started to punch the bag next to hers. “You’re Sheppard’s daughter.” Came the voice, a good mask over his curiosity, but not quite good enough.
“What of it?” she asked through gritted teeth as she threw another solid kick at her punching bag.
“Leon Vance. I succeeded your mother as Director of NCIS.” He said, leveling up as he watched her fight from the corner of his eye. He was making it an indirect competition, and she was determined to win. She recognized him as the man who had been watching her when Gibbs first brought her in to NCIS, and she knew that she didn’t particularly like him, it was just a feeling, but she’d always trusted her gut, it had never steered her wrong before. “If you don’t mind my saying so, you don’t look very much like Jenny.”
“I do mind.” She said, not bothering to look at him. She could read people well and she knew that it irritated him to be treated like this, especially by a kid. “I’m not my mom, but I know a politician when I see one. I don’t want to play that game, sir, it’s not my thing.”
“I see.” He observed, amused. “And what is your thing, Miss Sheppard?”
Cali stopped, breathing only a little heavier than usual, and turned to look at him, holding his gaze easily. “Honesty.” She replied bluntly. “I don’t like politics, they make you lie and bend, just to make other people happy and pad the budget. I’d rather be on my feet all day, getting the real picture and being able to give some kind of closure to people. Don’t get me wrong, Mom was good at her job, and she never budged from her position if she had to, but I take after the rest of my family more. She was the first politician, and she’s likely to be the last.”
Leon offered her a friendly smile, but she didn’t like it, didn’t buy it. “Well, allow me to say that your talents will always be welcome at NCIS. Come see me sometime when you start looking for a job.”
She nodded shortly. “I may take you up on that.” she replied, turning back to her punching bag. “But if I were you, I wouldn’t count on holding the position that long. I’ve got an easy decade between now and when I start looking into agencies. I don’t want nepotism, sir, it might be better for me to go into FBI or CIA instead.”
“But you won’t.” he said knowingly. “You’ve got history here, and you’ll come back to it for the same reasons that marines go to FLET-C after they finish their tours.”
“Cut it out Leon.” Came a dangerously quiet voice from behind them. Cali turned to see Gibbs, a look on his face that told her he’d heard the whole conversation, and she turned away from the two men, heading over to where Jacob stood on the other side of the gym.
“Got a problem Gibbs?” asked Leon, not seeming to notice the tension in the older man’s body language.
“Yeah, I have to say I do.” Replied Gibbs slowly. “I’ve got a problem with you trying to recruit a fifteen years old who just lost her mother. What, exactly, do you think you’re doing?”
Leon paused mid-punch and turned to look at his agent. “I offered her a job once she’s old enough, there’s nothing wrong with that.” He said calmly.
Gibbs glared at his new boss. He had liked Leon, ten years ago, but the last year or so had proved to him that the man had changed, a lot, and Gibbs didn’t like or trust him anymore. “She’s fifteen. You’re trying to take advantage of her. Don’t.”
“A little protective, don’t you think Gibbs?” asked Leon casually. “We all liked Jenny, you don’t have any more say over that girl than anyone else.”
“Cali isn’t Jen.” Growled Gibbs. “And I’d have to disagree with you Leon, I’ve got every say over her.”
“Ah.” Gibbs hated the way Vance said that, like it was some dirty, shameful secret that couldn’t be said out loud, like he ought to be ashamed to connect himself to Cali and Jenny that way. “Well, then I guess she won’t be accepting my offer. Seems she doesn’t like nepotism.”
He moved to turn back to the punching bag, to leave that last remaining sting in his agent, but Gibbs caught his arm. “Don’t go after her.”
“She’s got talent, Gibbs, you should be proud of her for that.” Replied Leon, turning the tables again.
“Oh, I am.” Agreed Gibbs, still holding the new director’s gaze firmly.
Leon gave up on the idea that he might get back to his workout. At least now he knew where the girl got it from. “I checked her out, she’s got more potential than you realize.” He explained. “She’s an excellent student, top in her school, and pretty high up when she tests in the district. The girl could get into just about any college she wanted to. She’s got a talent with languages, she can fight,” he gestured to the punching bag that Cali had so recently vacated. “She’s everything an agency could want and more. I’d be stupid not to try and get her for NCIS.”
A thought occurred to Gibbs, one that he really didn’t like. “You read Jen’s file.” He accused. “You knew she had a child, but you didn’t say anything.”
“After Director Sheppard died, I did look up her next-of-kin, yes.” Agreed Leon, like that wasn’t a big deal.
Gibbs loomed over the other man, furious. “She was alone in that house for a week.” He growled. “What the hell were you playing at? What were you trying to do? Make her think everyone had walked out on her and then show up as the hero with a life-vest?” Leon didn’t say anything and Gibbs knew he was right. “Stay away from my daughter, Leon.” He warned darkly. He turned away and headed over to where Cali and Jacob were talking quietly. He touched her arm gently, his eyes still stormy with anger at the thought that Vance had left her on her own for a week and would have left her longer if he hadn’t shown up. “Time to go, Cal.”
“It’s only four.” She protested, glancing up at him.
But he shook his head, decidedly. All he wanted to do was get her as far away from Vance as possible, and he didn’t care if it meant leaving early. “Come on, I’ll take you home.”
He tried to lead her out of the gym, but she pulled away from him, still in a bad mood. “I don’t need you to protect me from Vance.” She told him, annoyed. “I can take care of myself.”
“I know you can Cali.” He sighed, not really capable of arguing with her right now.
“Then why are you treating me like a baby?” she demanded, putting her hands on her hips. She didn’t think he would have an answer, not with Jacob standing a few feet away and trying not to listen in on the argument, but she was wrong.
“Because you are my baby.” He replied, a little hesitant and sad. “No matter how old you get or how well you can take care of yourself.”
She glared at him, her electric blue eyes flashing with anger, embarrassment, and resentment.. “I don’t care what Mom said!” she spat at him, furious. “You’re not my father!” and with that she stalked out of the gym, leaving him feeling exhausted and helpless.
He sighed, dragging his fingers through his hair and glancing at Jacob. “Do yourself a favour, kid.” He told the boy, and Jacob could read the sorrow in his voice as he said it. “Don’t get involved with the Sheppard women. Your life will be a lot easier.”
“I don’t really think I can help it, sir.” Said Jacob, the appropriate amount of apology and respect in his tone.
Gibbs nodded slowly. “Then I hope you’re a fast learner.”