- Text Size +
**Bete Noire**

**March 2, 2004 -- Abby's Lab**

"Abby?"

Tony stepped into the Goth's lab quietly, frowning when he realized all the machines were turned off and Abby was no where to be found.

She had come to her lab as soon as everything calmed down, choosing to stay there instead of taking Tony up on his offer to go to the hospital and pick up Gibbs. He had tried to talk to her, to reassure her that she wasn't to blame for what had happened to Kate, Ducky, and Gerald, but she wouldn't listen to him.

Turning around, he headed back to the elevator, intent on finding his friend. He was fairly sure where she had gone, so after stopping by his desk to grab his backpack, he took off, driving toward Rock Creek Park.

He arrived there about a half an hour later, parking his car at the bottom of the hill. She had told him about the autopsy nightmares she had been having, trying to explain to him that it was irrational for her to be afraid of a place that she had been to hundreds, no thousands, of times over the past 3 years. He had attempted to discourage her train of thought, telling her about nightmares he had as a child, which ultimately didn't make her feel any better.

Starting up the small hill, he smiled when he saw her sitting on top of the climbing dome in the center of the playground. She had told him about this place once before, mentioning that it had reminded her of a park near her childhood home in New Orleans.

"Abs?"

He could see her sigh heavily, not bothering to turn back to look at him.

"Hey Tony." Her voice sounded defeated as she hung her head, pulling her knees close to her chest while trying to maintain her balance.

Tony climbed up and sat next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her close to him, dropping a kiss to the top of her head.

"It's not your fault, Abs."

"You said that earlier."

"I meant it too." He took her chin in his hand, forcing her to look up at him. "And I'll say it as many times as I have to until you get it through your stubborn head. It. Was. Not. Your. Fault."

She relaxed against him, resting her head comfortably on his shoulder. "She shouldn't have been down there. Gerald wouldn't have gotten shot..."

"You don't know that. Look at me." He grabbed her shoulders and held her at arm's length, tipping her chin so she was looking into his eyes. "No one blames you, Abby. You can't let this get to you, okay? We all wish it hadn't happened, but this isn't the third grade, and there aren't any take-backs. What's done is done."

The Goth closed her eyes, nodding her head slowly. "Thanks, Tony."

He smiled, pulling her back against his side. "No problem. Now, what do you say we get out of the cold and go grab some dinner? I'm buying."

"Sure."

The Italian jumped off the top of the structure and reached his hand up, offering to help the younger woman down. "I believe I owe you a movie as well, if I remember correctly."

"It's alright, we don't have to go tonight." She said, allowing him to wrap his jacket around her shoulders as they walked back to his car.

"Nonsense." He chuckled, placing a hand at the small of her back. "I haven't helped corrupt you yet this month. I do believe we have yet to see Eurotrip."

"Maybe another night, T. I just wanna grab a pizza and curl up on the couch with you. I think there's a Magnum marathon on tonight."

"Oh really?" He smirked, helping her into the car. "I think I'm gonna take you up on that one."