- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Crime Scene #8 has a twist... and for those of you who arent as obsessed as I am, Tony tells Kensi about important events the team has gone through. So, some spoilers, if you're not completely caught up.
Washington DCâ€"Crime Scene #8?

Pulling up to the crash and seeing the flashing lights, Tony sighed and rolled his eyes. It would be hard to get them to turn anything over to them. They would claimâ€"as he had suggested the courts wouldâ€"that their reasons were circumstantial.
“What’s wrong?” Kensi asked.
“Metro PD,” Tony answered, as if that should have been enough explanation. It wasn’t.
“So?”
“They’re local LEO’s. They’ll say we’re just trying to steal their glory, and they won’t give us anything,” he said as they got out of the car.
Approaching the first officer he came to, Tony flashed his badge. “Special Agents DiNozzo and Blye, NCIS.” Seeing the fearful look in his eye, he sighed again. Probie, he thought. “Can I speak with the officer in charge?”
Another police officer walked over and cleared his throat. “That would be me. Officer Quinn Thornby. This is Simon Cory. My partner is over by the car. Randy!” he shouted. The police officer turned around and waved. “Why are you here?”
Tony blinked. This guy wasn’t one to mince words. “As I was telling Officer Cory, I’m Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo, and this is Special Agent Kensi Blye. My boss sent me here because we have reason to believe that a serial killer is behind this crash.”
“Do you have any proof?”
“He matches the description.”
“How do you know that? We’re not through with our witnesses yet!”
“One of our guys back at base caught him saying ‘cheese’ as he ran the next red
light.”
“And you’re sure he’s the guy from your sketch?” One of the worst things about being a cop in DC is there’s always a fed claiming they’ve got jurisdiction on the interesting cases. And how.
“Yes,” Tony said confidently, though they didn’t have a sketch to match. Which Kensi was all too eager to point out.
“Tony, we don’t have a sketch. He matches the profile.”
“Which is…?”
“Oh, you know, the usual,” Tony said with his trademark anger-fueled sarcasm. “Israeli Mossad assassin trying to kidnap his director’s daughter on his director’s orders, because she made it clear that she wants nothing to do with him anymoreâ€"”
“Tony!” Kensi forcefully interrupted his rant. “Anyway, Officer Thornby, if we could just take a look around…”

Tony was taking pictures of the car when Kensi approached him.
“You know, Tony, it’s none of my business, but I don’t think it’s right, what you’re doing to Dr. Benoit.”
He turned to face her. “You’re right, it isn’t any of your business, but I’ll bite. What are you talking about?”
“Well, you can call it woman’s intuition, or blame it on my job as an investigator, but I think we both know how you feel about Agent David.” Ignoring his rapidly changing expressions, from surprise to embarrassment to anger, to a mix of all three, she continued, “Hear me out. I suspected before, but it really shows now that she’s in danger.” When the anger won out again, she said, “I’m sorry. I just felt bad for Dr. Benoit, and I know no one on your team has the courage to face you, even if they know, which the guys on my team definitely do not. And trust me on this one, you do not want a lecture from Hetty. So, now that that’s over with, I don’t understand any of the references your team is making. Who’s Kate, and what happened in Somalia?”
He looked at her for a moment, then sighed and said, “I’ll just tell you about the important stuff that’s happened to the team over the years, starting with Kate. We met about seven years ago, on Air Force One. She was Secret Service. A naval commander was poisoned during his lunch with the president, so we flew out to Wichita, Kansas to take care of the body. There was a huge jurisdiction battle between NCIS, Secret Service, and the FBI, but we won out; don’t ask how. But Kate refused to leave the plane.
“At the end of the case she was forced to resign, because she had been dating one of her co-workers. Gibbs told her there was a job for her at NCIS, and she took it.
“Two years later, she was shot in the head by Gibbs’ nemesis, Ari Haswari. Gibbs
thinks it’s his fault. He still hasn’t forgiven himself.
“Kate was a great agent, and when I got the black plagueâ€"again, don’t ask howâ€"she stayed with me in quarantine even after she found out she didn’t have it.”
“Wow, she sounds like a great friend. I’m so sorry…”
“Yeah, it was tough. The director retired right after that. That’s when the real change came. Female director, new Mossad liaison officer position, new face in the bullpen.” He chuckled. “I dare you to ask Abby what she thought about Ziva’s replacing Kate.”
“A year or two after that, Gibbs was in an explosion and put into a coma. He retired to Mexico after he got his memory back. Ziva got into some trouble, and he came back to save her. I don’t think he’s taken a day off since.
“You may have noticed that we don’t like Director Vance. Let me help you to
understand. Director Sheppard died on Ziva’s and my watch. Then he comes in, and the first thing he does is separates us. McGee goes down to the basement to work in cyber crimes, Ziva goes back to Israel, and I’m sent onto a boat somewhere. Then he doesn’t want to waste the resources to rescue Ziva from being tortured in Somalia. That was all us. McGee and I were actually in the middle of it, being tortured with her, until Gibbs shot him and we got out.”
Before she could respond, he took a deep breath. “Let’s go take a look at the body.”
He pulled down the sheet, and suddenly his entire body tensed. He hurriedly covered the woman’s face again before Kensi could see anything more than she was a brunette.
She watched as he took out his cell phone and walked towards the car, running his hand through his hair over and over. No, she thought. She pulled down the sheet again, hoping she was wrong…
But she wasn’t. Lying there was Dr. Jeanne Benoit.