- Text Size +
Gibbs sighed, and shifted in his seat. He wasn’t five minutes into the seminar when he firmly decided not going with Tony had been a mistake. He’d known it would be, but at the time, he couldn’t come up with a logical argument for them to attend the same session. Not when the only real reason he could think of was that he simply didn’t want to be away from Tony.

He didn’t mind feeling that way, but saying so was something else. Regardless of how true it was, Gibbs didn’t want to sound like a lovesick teenage girl. And he wasn’t sure how Tony might react. Would he think it was too much, too soon? Would he resent Gibbs getting territorial and think it signified he wasn’t trusted? That aspect of his nature had upset two of his ex-wives. Or would Tony come to expect it and then get pissed when Gibbs backed off thinking he didn’t care any more? That had been his third ex-wife’s reaction. Better to let Tony set the tone…at least until Gibbs could get a better read of Tony’s feelings on the matter.

Once they’d left the room, it was business as usual. It only taken a few looks to communicate in the elevator that this new aspect of their relationship was not something either of them cared to make public. They would not be outing themselves to a hotel full of law enforcement types.

Gibbs hadn’t really thought about what it meant to carry on the usual routine. It seemed like a simple thing. Habit should have made it easy to act normal. Except it was hard to be grumpy and sarcastic when he’d started his day experiencing two of the best damned orgasms he’d had in over a year. Gibbs had found himself struggling not to maintain contact with Tony. His fingers itched to touch, to explore the surprisingly soft skin, and he really wanted to pin Tony against the nearest wall, to ravage that amazing mouth, he wanted to hear those satisfying moans and breathy whimpers again. But Gibbs managed to control those desires, reining in the inappropriate urges and kept his hands to himself.

Just as he had the first day during breakfast, Tony asked what session Gibbs planned to attend and opted for another one. Gibbs opened his mouth to protest, not wanting Tony out of his sight or arm’s reach, but before he could think of a valid reason or even get anything out Tony said, “Vance did say he wanted us to get the most out of this. Think that means we have to attend separate sessions. Wouldn’t put it past Toothpick to check up on us.” Tony had grinned, bright and false. “We are his favorites after all.”

Gibbs had snorted, amused in spite of himself. Neither of them would likely ever be Vance’s favorites. Although, the man did seem to be developing at least some appreciation for their ability to get the job done even if he still harbored a lot of personal animosity toward them.

Gibbs could understand Vance disliking him. They hadn’t seen eye to eye from the moment they met, and had been at loggerheads ever since. But Tony hadn’t really done anything to warrant the Director’s animosity. It wasn’t like he’d gotten in his face or even had much of a chance to act the fool before Vance had him reassigned. Evidently it was enough that Tony was more old school in his approach to the job than computer oriented, loyal to Gibbs rather than the agency, and having the misfortune of being on Shepard’s protection detail when she got herself killed were enough to make Vance despise him. There could be things in Tony’s file that might have caused Vance to think less of him, but Gibbs did the performance reviews and he never said much more about Tony’s performance than he did any of his team. He knew both Morrow and Shepard had put several commendations in Tony’s file, but he doubted that carried any weight with Vance. Hell, Gibbs had awards for his job performance and that didn’t make him any more likeable or acceptable to the Director.

Vance had said being reassigned as Agent Afloat wasn’t punishment, and in light of the Domino case, Gibbs had believed him, but that didn’t mean Vance hadn’t also seen an opportunity to rid the office of someone he didn’t care for. Vance capitulated easily to bringing McGee and Ziva back on Gibbs’ team, but he’d baulked at Tony coming back. Gibbs understood it was a power play, that making Tony serve four months afloat was a way of putting both him and Tony in their place. It was a not so subtle way of Vance saying he was in charge.

Gibbs jaw clenched. He wondered if Vance realized how damn lucky he was Tony felt guilty enough over Shepard’s death to feel he warranted punishment. Agent Afloat assignments were typically voluntary. Tony had grounds to file a grievance since he wasn’t given a choice in the reassignment. But Vance had to know he wouldn’t act on it. His mandatory psyche profile no doubt revealed that much about Tony’s character.

Of course, ultimately, Vance needed Gibbs and his team to get the job done. So Gibbs thought he could claim victory over that pissing contest. He had his doubts though about whether or not Vance had actually learned anything.

Gibbs sighed and shifted in his seat again. He took a sip of coffee from the travel mug Tony had given him. He smiled to himself, still pleased to have something tangible that showcased the fact that Tony cared about him. He planned hang on to it for as long as possible.

He wished it was a bit bigger though. He knew there wasn’t enough coffee to see him through the entire seminar. But at least it was hot. And he was grateful for that. The room seemed cooler to him than it had the day before. He glared at the thermostat on the wall. He was sure the hotel management would tell him there was nothing wrong with it either. Assholes.

Gibbs shifted his gaze back to the speaker. She had a physical beauty he was sure Tony would have appreciated, but she had a squeaky voice that reminded Gibbs of nails on a chalkboard. He wondered if she wasn’t aware of how she sounded, or if he was the only one who thought her voice could cut glass.

As grating as her voice was, Gibbs had to admit she seemed to know her stuff. There was a lot of good information being presented. He forced himself to pay attention. He refused to think about Tony or how much he was looking forward to another meal with him, another movie, another shower, another night with him. He had a job to do damn it, and he was going to do it.

Gibbs made notes in the margins of the reference material, sipping absentmindedly at his coffee. He didn’t know much about computers but he could appreciate how useful they were…in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing. It’s what he had McGee for. But it didn’t hurt for him to learn a bit more about what it was McGee did and how. It would help him make the most of the younger man’s talents.

Gibbs raised his cup again, and grimaced when he realized it was empty. He sighed. He flexed his fingers trying to relieve some of the stiffness age and the cold weather brought on.

Gibbs checked his watch. Only another half hour to go and this session would be over. No matter what Vance expected, no matter what Tony said, Gibbs was not going to have Tony spend the afternoon away from him. He’d snuck in yesterday without Tony knowing, he was sure he could do it again if need be. He’d rather have Tony ask him, or indicate in some way he wanted to stay close too, but Gibbs wasn’t going to be put off.

Gibbs shifted in his seat once more. When he was a sniper, he’d been able to sit still for days, but after he’d started working as an agent, he’d found it hard to do. Unless whatever he was working on completely captured his attention, he got restless. His many trips for coffee had less to do with getting something to drink than giving him a chance to stretch his legs, to move around a bit, to simply do something.

He smiled to himself. He’d been tempted many times to ask Tony to download one of those silly games he played to his computer or phone. But he was the boss. It wouldn’t do for him to be playing when he should be working. And Gibbs could hardly give Tony shit about goofing off if he ever got caught doing the same thing.

Gibbs eyed the speaker. He tried not to let his impatience get the better of him. She really was very good. It wasn’t her fault her voice was grating.

Gibbs breathed a sigh of relief when she began wrapping up. He was up and moving as soon as the question and answer period was over. His usual determined stride made it clear getting in his way would be a bad idea. Seeing several others moving the same way Gibbs was betting he wasn’t the only one who found the speaker’s voice painful to listen to.

When he didn’t see Tony in the hall, Gibbs headed for the room where he knew the younger man’s session was being held. If the speaker was good, Tony may have tried to get a little face time. He had before, so it wasn’t an unrealistic assumption. Gibbs mentally cursed Vance once again for being such a damn penny pincher.

If Tony’s phone was working Gibbs could have called or sent him a text. Not that he really knew much about texting. He knew Tony and Abby texted each other all the time. McGee and Ziva did it too. Hell, even Ducky and Palmer texted. Gibbs got the concept even if he never did it. He was sure he could have figured it out…eventually…maybe.

Gibbs wove through the people leaving the session Tony had been in. He looked for Tony, expecting to see him near the front of the room. His eyes narrowed when he spotted Tony talking to a beautiful young woman. He wasn’t just talking to her he was flirting.

Whoever she was, Gibbs decided she couldn’t be more than thirty. She had long, dark, wavy hair that framed her face and showcased her striking blue eyes. The dark green turtle neck sweater she was wearing was form fitting, advertizing the sort of physical assets Tony had often commented on in the past.

Gibbs’ jaw clenched. He’d seen Tony flirt more times than he could count over the years; he always felt a rush of anger and annoyance. It wasn’t usually so intense but it was always there. In the past, Gibbs had justified his feelings as Tony’s flirting getting in the way of getting the job done. It was his right to be pissed at Tony for goofing off while he was supposed to be working, but in light of Gibbs’ new understanding about himself and how he really felt about Tony, the job had nothing to do with it. He should have caught a clue when those same emotions surfaced even when Tony was off the clock, or they weren’t working an active case. Gibbs felt like giving himself a head smack. God but he’d been slow to catch a clue.

Watching Tony, he really wanted to smack him too. He had no business flirting with that woman. Gibbs tried to ignore the flash of insecurity he felt wondering if Tony might not prefer someone younger, someone female. Just because what they’d done last night and early that morning were mind blowing for Gibbs didn’t mean they’d been as good for Tony. Yeah, he’d gotten off, but it wasn’t like they’d talked about what it meant. Maybe it wasn’t as big a deal for Tony as it was for Gibbs.

Tony had more or less told Tammy he’d stayed at NCIS because there was someone special. But Tony changed girlfriends like most people changed their socks. For him it could have been all about the chase. Maybe now that he’d gotten to have sex with Gibbs, finally caught him, Tony wasn’t interested any more. Hell, most of the big emotional confession shit done last night had been Gibbs. Maybe he’d read the situation all wrong.

Gibbs was torn between wanting to storm up to Tony and belt him one and wanting to stalk away, find a stiff drink and nurse his wounded pride. Before he could decide on either he watched the woman reach out to touch Tony and the younger man deftly sidestep. The sidestep could have been coincidental, a badly timed restless movement, but Gibbs knew better. If Tony had really been flirting with her he wouldn’t have objected to the deliberate contact, he’d have encouraged it, reaching out to touch her as well trying to establish a connection.

That’s when Gibbs realized that Tony wasn’t flirting with the woman--she was flirting with him. Tony wasn’t sending out any of the signals Gibbs knew meant he was truly interested in her. Tony’s smile was polite, and seemed friendly enough to anyone who didn’t know him well, but it wasn’t warm and open the way Gibbs knew Tony was capable of. He was making eye contact but didn’t hold it for long. And while he was facing her, he’d angled most of his body away from her.

Gibbs took a deep breath. He was suddenly grateful his moment of stupidity had been all in his head and not where anyone else could see it. There was no telling what would have happened if he’d acted on what he was thinking and feeling. God. It was no wonder one of his ex-wife took a golf club to his head. Tony probably would have shot him.

Gibbs stepped forward, clearing his throat to draw attention to himself. Tony turned to look at him and smiled. Unlike the smile he’d been giving the woman this one was gentle, warm, almost shy. Tony’s eyes sparkled as he made eye contact with Gibbs silently signaling just how pleased he was to see him. Gibbs felt his shoulders relax, tension draining away.

“Hey, Boss, you done already?”

“No, I skipped out early.”

Tony grinned, not bothered by the sarcastic reply. “Always knew you were a rebel.”

Gibbs rolled his eyes, lips quirking upward slightly in a faint smile. “You done here?”

“Just about.” Tony nodded to the woman. “Special Agent Charlotte Severcool, this is my boss, Special Agent Gibbs. Boss, this is Charlotte Severcool. She’s an FBI profiler.”

Gibbs held out his hand. She had a firm handshake, reminding him of Ziva. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here.” She smiled brightly. “Agent DiNozzo was telling me about some of the case you’d worked on.”

Gibbs looked askance at Tony. The younger man shrugged. “We were comparing notes on a few whack jobs.”

“I was fascinated when Agent DiNozzo mentioned Doctor Mallard’s physiological autopsies.” Severcool said. “At the Bureau we focus more on the motivations of the living. Figuring out how to catch a serial killer or a terrorist by understanding what drives them. It isn’t often we characterize the victim except for how they appealed to the killer.”

She turned to Tony. “Do you think he’d be open to discussing his work in greater detail with me?”

“I’m sure Ducky would love to talk to you.” Tony smiled. “He’s always open to sharing information.”

Gibbs snorted silently. That was one way to put it. Ducky would love to have an attentive, willing audience as opposed the impatient, distracted one he usually got from his fellow NCIS agents.

Tony opened the small notebook he held in one hand. He quickly wrote something. “Let me give you his e-mail address. Just tell him who you are and that Tony said you should get in touch.”

“I don’t suppose I could get your e-mail address as well?” She smiled coyly, taking the piece of paper Tony held out. “I wouldn’t mind discussing a few more cases with you.”

Gibbs nearly growled at her. He wanted to tell her to back the hell off. When Tony seemed to hesitated, Gibbs glared at him.

“DiNozzo.” Gibbs let his usual impatience bleed into Tony’s surname.

“Right, Boss. Time is a wasting.” He gave Charlotte a brilliant smile. “It was nice meeting you.”

Gibbs silently approved when Tony didn’t hold out his hand for her to shake or attempt any other sort of contact. Gibbs turned away with a nod to Charlotte, and Tony fell in step with him.

“Glad you came in when you did,” Tony said to Gibbs as they left the room. “Wasn’t sure I’d be able to find a polite way to get away from her. She works in the DC office and I didn’t want to piss her off and have it come back to bite me in ass. Bad enough Sacks already hates me and had me arrested twice for murder. I shudder to think what a woman scorned in her position could do.”

He shook his head, looking just a bit embarrassed and more than a little bemused. “She saw my name tag when she sat down next to me and she said she recognized my name from several cases we’d worked with the FBI. She wanted my take on them. I didn’t realize when she first started talking to me she was more interested in me than in the cases.”

Gibbs frowned, momentarily doubtful. Tony always made it seem like he thought every woman was interested in him. But how much of that was an act? Knowing what he did of Tony’s insecurities Gibbs knew acting as if every woman wanted him was likely part of the clown mask that he played up for his coworkers. It fit his frat boy image, but didn’t necessarily reflect his true feelings.

And it was possible Tony had little experience with aggressive women. From what Gibbs had seen, Tony usually approached women first, letting them shoot him down or open the door for more. Other than Paula Cassidy, Gibbs didn’t know many women Tony had interacted with who took the initiative. Hell, even the first move for their burgeoning relationship was one Gibbs made.

“We might need to make sure we stick together for the rest of the week so I can have your back,” Gibbs commented, trying to sound like he was teasing.

“Sounds like a good plan there, Boss.” Tony gave him one of those genuine, warm smiles. It wasn’t quite Tony saying he wanted to stick close, but it was good enough for Gibbs.

Tony sighed. “I don’t think Vance is going to buy our staying together through the seminars because there were women on the prowl.”

“You let me worry about Vance.” Gibbs touched the back of Tony’s hand. The contact was so brief it could have been accidental. Tony responded by lightly bumping his shoulder with his own.

Tony looked pensive. He bit his lower lip. “He already hates you, Boss. You sure you want to--”

“If he says anything, I’ll take care of it.” Gibbs always took care of his people. That Tony meant more to him now was just added incentive.

“Okay, Boss.” Tony grinned, his posture relaxing. “We’ll do it your way.”

Gibbs gave Tony a smile of his own. “Good.”