- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs is still in denial, but he's making progress.
At 5 AM the quiet peep of Tony’s watch alarm woke Gibb from the light doze he’d managed to slip into. If he’d been sleeping deeply the small sound might not have even registered given how quickly Tony reached for his watch on the nightstand and turned off the alarm. It had barely gotten the chance to sound twice.

Tony stretched, the movements slow and languid. Gibbs could feel the mattress shift slightly in response, making him aware of how little Tony actually moved while he was asleep. Tony groaned softly and got out of bed.

“There a reason you’re up so early, DiNozzo?” Gibbs asked, wincing at how annoyed he sounded. That wasn’t a good way to start on the resolution he’d made last night…or really just a few hours ago.

“Sorry, Boss.” Tony whispered. “Didn’t mean to wake you.”

Gibbs raised his head to look at Tony. “That’s not an answer to my question.”

“Thought I’d hit the gym. Figured it wouldn’t be crowded this time of day.”

Gibbs grunted in acknowledgement. He doubted the gym in the hotel was ever crowded regardless of the time of day. It wasn’t like the place had a regular membership or was likely as well equipped as a conventional gym.

“And unless we’re working a case, this is when I usually run. No reason to skip it just because we’re out of town. Especially not when all I’m going to be doing today is sitting on my ass.”

Tony definitely had a point. The seminars might be good, but they weren’t going to be anywhere near as demanding as working a case. The structured set up wouldn’t allow for Tony to get up and randomly walk around when thinking the way he was prone to doing at the office, or take the stairs down to visit with Abby or Ducky like he did when things got slow at the office and he needed to work off some energy. Tossing paper airplanes and spitballs when he got bored would be out as well. Although, depending on who was there and how good the speaker proved to be, Gibbs might encourage such behavior.

Gibbs couldn’t really give Tony grief about wanting stay fit. It wasn’t like he hadn’t known about Tony’s ongoing workout regimen. Hell, he’d passed on one of his rare compliments when he’d told Tony not long after his return from agent afloat how impressed he was that Tony could keep up with Ziva.

Gibbs could see Tony moving, and even though he couldn’t make out exactly what he was doing, he had a pretty good idea. Tony was able to easily navigate the room without needing to turn the light on, and Gibbs realized Tony must have laid his running gear out last night on one of the chairs before going to bed. Gibbs hadn’t noticed it then, but only the small lamp on his side of the bed had been lit then casting shadows over the rest of the room and he hadn’t really been paying much attention.

When running outside in cooler weather, Gibbs knew Tony typically went jogging in a t-shirt, windbreaker and tights made from some sort of high tech material long distance athletes favored. Gibbs had no idea what it was, but he knew it was decidedly form fitting. His usual morning hard on twitched in response to the thought of Tony’s long legs tightly encased, muscles flexing visibly with each stride.

He shuddered, firmly squashing that flare of desire just as he had last night when Tony had come out of the bathroom half naked. He had to get a handle on those inappropriate thoughts. They weren’t helping.

Realizing that running inside on a treadmill meant Tony would be wearing a pair of running shorts and a tank top didn’t help either. The thought of so much skin exposed for Gibbs to see made him shudder again. He wanted to pull his pillow over his head and scream out his frustration, but he couldn’t do that until Tony left.

“Make sure you’re back in time to get breakfast.”

“I’ll be back in an hour.” Tony tossed off a sloppy salute, his teeth flashing brightly as he grinned. He unbolted the door, opened it just wide enough to slip out then pulled it closed behind him.

Gibbs sighed, rubbing at his eyes. Maybe he should go running too. It wouldn’t be as good as going a few rounds with a heavy bag, or working on the boat, but it might help him focus. Unless of course he spent more time ogling his second in command as he ran, in which case, the damn treadmill wouldn’t help at all.

At least Tony didn’t seem to remember talking to him last night, or their cuddling together. It was that or he was just acting normal in the hopes that Gibbs didn’t remember either. But he knew Tony well enough to see through most of his acts, so Gibbs was betting that he didn’t remember. He couldn’t decide if he was pleased or disappointed.

“Ah, fuck it,” he muttered, turning on the lamp and getting out of bed. Even though he showered last night, another one seemed like a good idea. He had plenty of time.

The hot water was nicely relaxing and invigorating at the same time. He absentmindedly stroked his still hard cock. Unbidden came images of Tony. Shit. Gibbs immediately let go of his cock.

Gibbs wondered if beating his head against the wall would help. He decided against it when he realized he had no idea how he’d explain the damages…to his forehead or the wall. He sure as hell wasn’t going to say he slipped in the shower.

He looked down at his cock. It hadn’t flagged at all for the lack of attention. “Traitor.”

Gibbs sighed. He decided he was better off giving into temptation for now rather than have his body betray him at an inopportune moment.

Gibbs quickly stroked his cock. He wasn’t interested in prolonging the experience, or even enjoying it. He just had to get this out of his system before he did something stupid. It was bad enough he’d snuggled up to Tony in his sleep. In light of how many times he’d screwed up in the past, Gibbs didn’t think he could afford to make any more mistakes; not if he wanted to prove to Tony he was trusted, that nothing that happened over the last year or more was a reflection on how Gibbs felt about Tony. He had to find a way to make Tony understand that it had more to do with Gibbs being an idiot and not thinking about how his actions and words might affect those around him or how they would be interpreted than anything Tony had said or done.

Gibbs stroked his cock faster, his grip almost painfully tight. Now that he wasn’t actively fighting himself, achieving release didn’t take long. He’d be embarrassed by how quickly he got off if he were with someone else, but as it was, he was simply relieved to have it over and done with. It was unsatisfying, and but Gibbs hoped it would be enough to get it out of his system.

He didn’t think letting Tony know he suddenly found him attractive in a sexual way would help his case any. God knew it hadn’t helped Gibbs trust Shepard knowing she wanted to get back into his pants. If anything it made him question her integrity, motives and abilities all the more. Besides, Gibbs was sure he could get a handle on this once everything got back to normal, and it wasn’t going to be an issue. No reason for Tony to know about it.

He cleaned up the evidence and finished his shower. It was nice not to have to rush. In a hotel this size it wasn’t like they’d run out of hot water any time soon.

Gibbs eyed the coffee maker on the counter as he briskly dried off, studiously ignoring his reflection in the mirror. The pot wasn’t exactly like his, but it seemed close enough Gibbs was pretty sure he could make passable cup of coffee. He set it, leaving it to do its thing, while he went about getting dressed.

He was dressed, sipping his second cup of coffee and watching the news when Tony got back. He nodded in greeting, not looking at Tony. With how he’d reacted earlier to just the thought of looking at Tony in his workout gear, Gibbs decided it best not to risk it. He’d wait until Tony was wearing more clothes. If he looked like he did at the office every day it would be easier to regard him with an on the job mindset.

Controlling himself and his thoughts was easier when he was working. Gibbs had a lot of practice not letting anything interfere with the job.

“I’ll be out in twenty, Boss.”

Gibbs grunted, letting Tony know he heard him. Fortunately, no one who knew him expected Gibbs to be overly talkative, especially not first thing in the morning. His time in the Marines might have made him a morning person, but it didn’t come naturally to him. He was still more naturally a night owl, which was usually a good thing since a lot of the sniper work he’d done was under the cover of darkness.

There was nothing new on CNN. Gibbs flipped to the weather channel. The forecast for Chicago wasn’t particularly inspiring. The entire week was essentially the same; there was a good chance there would be freezing rain, sleet or snow all week. It was a good thing they didn’t have to leave the hotel for anything. Hopefully the weather would clear up before they were due fly back to DC.

Gibbs heard the shower shut off and the blow dryer turn on. A few minutes later the door opened. Gibbs caught a glimpse of Tony’s bare chest and back before resolutely turning away to look out the window. His own reflection started back at him, and he could make out Tony moving behind him. Gibbs closed his eyes. He sighed softly wishing the stupid little pot in the bathroom made more than two cups of coffee.

“Boss?”

“Yeah?” Gibbs turned to look at Tony, relieved to find him dressed. He managed not smirk when he realized their outfits were coordinated, both of them wearing black and shades of gray. In Tony’s case it was black slacks with a charcoal gray cable knit sweater. Gibbs had opted for gray slacks with a black button down dress shirt. He had a gray sports coat to wear as well.

“You ready to head out?”

Gibbs nodded. He grabbed the packets of information on the seminars they’d been handed last night and tossed Tony’s to him. Tony caught it easily.

“We’ll go over that stuff while we eat.”

“Gotcha, Boss.”

Gibbs hadn’t looked at any of it last night when they’d signed in other than to confirm when the seminars started. Eight-thirty was later than they usually started work and he’d actually looked forward to sleeping in for a change. Although, Gibbs couldn’t honestly say he that he didn’t feel well rested. A bit confused, anxious and frustrated maybe, but the hours of sleep he’d gotten snuggled up with Tony were more than he normally got.

He shrugged into his suit coat, putting the plastic name tag thing around his neck afterward. He hated wearing a name tag. But everyone was expected to wear the damn things. Tony had his on as well.

Riding in the elevator down to the main floor, Tony hummed along with the music while his restless fingers tapped out a matching beat against his leg. Gibbs made sure not to react. He didn’t want Tony to feel self-conscious. And he didn’t really want him to stop either.

Gibbs eyed the emergency stop button, wondering if he could use this elevator as a temporary conference room. Other than the music, it at least felt familiar. He might actually be able to say something meaningful here.

“Don’t think hitting that would be a good idea, Boss.”

Gibbs scowled, annoyed that he’d telegraphed is intent and oddly proud that Tony had noticed. He might not know everything Gibbs was thinking--which was probably a good thing--but he obviously knew more than most. Gibbs sighed, eyeing the emergency stop button again.

“How long do you think it would take them to notice?”

Tony shrugged. “Not long enough for us to miss the whole conference.”

“Shame.”

“And I’m pretty damn sure Vance wouldn’t buy it just quit working.” Tony grinned. “He has met you after all.”

Gibbs snorted. He had gotten an e-mail about misuse of the elevator from Vance. There was an implied threat to install cameras in it. He had Abby sweep it periodically now to make sure no micro cameras or listening devices had been added.

Tony made a show of looking around. “There is a conspicuous lack of creature comforts in here that we’d have to consider.”

Gibbs smirked. “It’s out of the wind and has heat, DiNozzo.”

“But it’s lacking a bed and bathroom.” Tony pointed out. “I’ll pass on spending a week in here.” He flashed a bright grin at Gibbs. “But if you still want to hide out in here, I could always attempt the heroic escape they use in every movie by trying to go out through the never seen in real life ceiling hatch.”

Gibbs bit the inside of his cheek to keep from chuckling as Tony continued to ramble on about movies and various ways of getting out of a stalled elevator, each option a bit more improbable than the last. He lightly cuffed the back of his head to get him to stop.

“I missed you, Tony.”

Tony looked at him in surprise. “Been here the whole time, Boss.”

“When you were at sea,” Gibbs clarified, “I missed you.” He couldn’t remember if he’d said it before to Tony, but he should have. And while he hadn’t really meant to say it now, he wasn’t going to take it back. “And I’m glad you’re here.”

Tony’s cheeks flushed, and he looked away shyly. “Thanks, Boss.”

Gibbs felt rush of victory knowing he’d gotten it right. Of course, now he had no idea what to say or do. He had a sudden urge to kiss Tony and that was just crazy. Totally unacceptable. He was saved by literally by the bell--the elevator ding announced their arrival on the first floor, the doors opened smoothly to reveal the lobby. Gibbs breathed a silent sigh and told himself he was relieved, not disappointed.

Once they exited the elevator it was simply a matter of following the signs to where the breakfast being put on for conference attendees was being held. It looked like the staff was just stocking the buffet. Gibbs took that to mean the food had been freshly made. He’d learned to eat a lot of crap in the Marines, but he’d never learned to like cold eggs and he hated greasy potatoes.

Most of the tables were large enough to seat ten to twelve people. Not wanting to have to make small talk with strangers, Gibbs pointed to one of the smaller tables that were set up in the corners. Those tables only had room for four.

“Let’s sit there.”

“On it, Boss.” Tony held his hand out for Gibbs’ packet of information, and then headed for the table he had selected. The folders would act as their place holders until they’d gotten their plates.

Gibbs loaded his plate with scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, and sausage. He got a cup of coffee. He was exasperated by the size of the cups, resigned to the fact that he’d have to come back for more. He ignored the fruit platter, and was honestly surprised when it was the first thing Tony went for.

“Oh…pineapple.” Tony grinned, filling a bowl with it. “I love fresh cut pineapple.”

Gibbs expected Tony to fill a plate similar to his own, and watched in amazement as Tony opted for lighter fare instead. In addition to the heaping bowl of pineapple, Tony opted for two pieces of toast, a few strips of bacon, a glass of juice and nothing else.

When he’d first met Tony Gibbs had been amazed by how much food the younger man could put away. It was like he had a hollow leg. Clearly his workout regimen wasn’t the only thing that had changed while he was afloat.

“No coffee?”

“I’ll get a cup after I eat.” Tony smiled at him, warm and genuine. Gibbs tried not to notice how much he liked being on the receiving end of that smile.

“Not all of us mainline caffeine like you and Abby.”

“You call her yet?” He asked as he made his way to their table. He was sure Tony had agreed to maintain some sort of contact with Abby. She worried any time any of them were out of sight.

“I sent her a text last night while you were in shower.” Tony told him, taking his seat. He popped a piece of pineapple in his mouth. He made a pleased and satisfied sound Gibbs did his best to ignore.

“You look at the seminar information at all?” Gibbs sipped his coffee. It was a lot better than the stuff they stocked in the room.

Tony looked a little sheepish. “Meant to look at the schedule last night, but I sort of"“

“Fell asleep.” Gibbs finished for him.

Tony ducked his head, clearly hearing a reprimand in Gibbs’ tone. “Won’t happen again, Boss.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Gibbs quickly assured him. He hadn’t meant for it to seem like he was being critical. “You weren’t the only one.”

Tony smirked. “I told you creature comforts weren’t so bad.”

Gibbs chuckled. He pointed at Tony’s plate with his fork. “Eat your breakfast, DiNozzo.”

Gibbs thought the eggs were little dry but the potatoes and sausage made up for that. He hadn’t had any that good since his mother passed away. He briefly considered seconds when he went for another cup of coffee, but decided to pass. Not point in over doing it.

He wasn’t surprised to see Tony go back for seconds of the pineapple. He half expected him to go for thirds. The only other food he could remember seeing Tony get so much obvious enjoyment out of was ice cream.

When the wait staff had cleared the table, Gibbs opened his packet of information, and Tony did the same. There would be at least four rooms with concurrent seminars going on in each one. Two of the morning seminars Gibbs was most interested in were being offered at the same time.

The Office of Immigration had representatives who would be speaking on their efforts to crack down on expired student visas, and tracking of foreign nationals residing legally within the country. More than one terrorist organization had members posing as students or living in the United States for long periods of time. It would be nice to see how well INS’ efforts and database might coordinate with NCIS.

Illegal nationals were decidedly more difficult to locate and assess for threats, but Homeland Security, the Boarder Patrol and the FBI were slated to cover that topic tomorrow. Gibbs had already decided to attend that one. Even if not directly related to terrorism, there was often a correlation to the drug trade.

The other one he wanted to sit on today was a review of the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering by the Office of Foreign Asset Control and the FDIC. Knowing how domestic banking institutions tracked money and reported the information had been very helpful on several of their cases. It wouldn’t hurt to make a few contacts there that could give them insight or answers in the future.

Gibbs asked Tony which seminars he thought would be most worthwhile attending. In addition to the two Gibbs had selected, Tony thought the afternoon seminar sponsored by a private contractor would be worth seeing. Some of the latest technology was going to be demonstrated. The two Tony thought might be the most useful were the ones related to bomb detection and a mobile finger print scanners.

“If Abby or McGeek were here they’d be all over that one.” Tony smiled, eyes lighting up. “Maybe they’ll have free samples I can take home to them.”

“Just make sure you don’t help yourself to anything you shouldn’t have.”

“But, Boss, Abby would love to have--“

“No.”

Tony huffed. “I’ll make sure she knows it was you who wouldn’t let me get her the best new toy ever.”

Gibbs snorted. “If it’s really worth having, make a good case for it, and I’ll see that she gets one.”

Tony nodded. “Will do, Boss.”

Gibbs’ choice for the afternoon was to sit in on the one being sponsored by Defense Department and several different urban bomb squads on recognizing IED’s, defusing them and proper disposal. Dirty bombs, ordinance contaminated with either radioactive material or organic biohazards, were mentioned as a rising threat.

“You want BSA or INS this morning?” Gibbs asked. He wasn’t keen on splitting up, preferring to keep Tony with him, but it couldn’t be helped. They were here to learn as much as possible.

“We could flip a coin.”

“We could.” Gibbs finished his coffee. “But we aren’t going to.”

“Party pooper.” Tony rolled his eyes. “It’s probably better if I take BSA. Computers will be a big part of that, and while I’m not anywhere near as good as McGee, I’m better at it than you are.” Tony winced. “Well not better, Boss, bad choice of words there. Let’s just say I’m less inclined to shoot the machine.”

Gibbs wasn’t offended by Tony’s assessment. He was better than Gibbs when it came to computers. Hell almost anyone was better at it than Gibbs, but he did think Tony sold himself short. He’d managed to get anything needed to solve the case before McGee joined the team. He might not have been as fast, but he still got the job done. Gibbs realized he should have told Tony that.

Tony downed the last of his coffee. “I generally don’t make bank managers break out into a cold sweat either so it’s easier for them to talk to me.”

“It’s part of my charm,” Gibbs informed him dryly.

Tony grinned. “Just not the sort of charm most appreciate, Boss.”

Gibbs arched an eyebrow. “But you do?”

“Always have.” Tony grinned.

Gibbs felt his heart beat a little faster at hearing that. Damn, he had to get this under control before he did something stupid.

“I expect you to pay attention and take good notes.”

Tony’s expression sobered. “I won’t let you down, Boss.”

“You never have,” Gibbs told him.

That earned him a narrowed eyed look, one that searched his face intently. Gibbs wasn’t entirely certain what Tony was looking for, but he could guess. He wanted to be sure Gibbs wasn’t going to turn his statement into a joke, or add some qualifier, or attach further warning that would confer some lack of faith or trust. All of those had been done before, and for once, Gibbs was wise enough to keep his mouth shut realizing this was a golden opportunity to repair some of the damage he’d unintentionally caused. He held himself still, meeting Tony’s eyes easily, waiting for Tony to accept was he’d said at face value. He was rewarded with a blinding smile.

“Thanks, Boss.”

Gibbs nodded. He might not be good with words, but he’d gotten it right twice today. And it wasn’t even noon yet. Better to quit while he was ahead…at least for now.

He stood up. “Let’s go. Don’t want to be late.”

“On it, Boss.”