- Text Size +
Story Notes:
many OOC moments; I love hurt!Tony mentions of CHILD ABUSE Gibbs/Dinozzo (father/son) I do not own the characters.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Anthony Dinozzo thought he had outrun the nightmare that was his past. When it comes back to haunt him, he learns that the family he always wanted was right before his very eyes.
Chapter 1

“Mobile campfire!” Tony exclaimed with a large grin on his face as he began to walk around the bullpen. Gibbs was off getting coffee and the group was working on a simple case of vandalism and a threatening letter at the Marine base. As he strutted down the hall, he said over his shoulder, “What do you think Probie?”

Tim rolled his eyes before answering.

“I saw that!” Tony responded as he kept walking.

“How could you have possibly seen that?” McGee asked in an annoyed tone.

“You have much to learn young Probie-wan.” Tony smirked even though Ziva and McGee could not see him.

“Is this really necessary, Tony?” Ziva asked.

“It’s a good way to keep the juices running, Zee-vah!” Tony answered. He looked down when he felt his phone vibrate.

“How can juice run?” Ziva turned to McGee and asked in an exasperated tone. “That makes no sense!”

Tony stopped abruptly, causing the two younger agents to crash into him.

“Tony!” They both yelled as they saw the senior agent hold his finger up to silence them. Tony glanced down at his phone. The number seemed familiar, but he wasn’t sure. Before answering it, he turned to the other two. “Toss some ideas around.”

“Bossy.” Ziva muttered under her breath.

“This is VERY Special Agent Anthony Dinozzo.” He answered with a bright smile. Soon, though, the joyous look on his face dissipated and Ziva and Tim saw the color drain from his normally tanned skin. “Yes…” Tony spoke into the phone quietly as he turned and walked away from them.

Ziva and Tim shared a look. Ordinarily, they would love to find anything to tease Tony with, but the serious look on their normally jovial friend, was concerning to them both.

“Yes, sir…” They heard Tony say as he closed the phone. For a moment, not realizing he was being watched, Tony ran a shaky hand through his hair as he stared at his phone. When he turned around, he saw Ziva and Tim watching him with concerned eyes. No words were said as Tony realized that he had no time to slip his mask back into place. He brushed past his friends and muttered, “Going for coffee.”

*

Ziva and McGee spent the rest of the day stealing glances at Tony who had been unnaturally quiet. If Gibbs had noticed, they were not sure. Finally the end of the day came. McGee had left already, leaving the other three members still there. Uncharacteristic for her, Ziva gingerly went over to Tony’s desk. “Are you okay, Tony?”

Tony looked up and forced a smile upon his face. Inside, he was screaming. “I’m fine, my little assassin.”

“You have been quiet since that phone call.” Ziva dared to push a little. She knew how Tony could deflect. Three years working with someone, you begin to understand that things may not always be as they appear. That was one valuable lesson her father had taught her. And the reason Tony was so masterful undercover.

“Oh, that?” Tony weakly laughed. “Just hearing from my financial planner about some bad investments.” He stood. “Guess I have to cut down on the designer shoes and suits. Sorry to disappoint you. I may need to start shopping at Sears like the Boss.”

“Nothing wrong with Sears, Dinozzo.” Gibbs said as he strolled into the bullpen.

Tony blushed. “Of course not, Boss.” He smiled as he tapped himself on the back of the head. “Good bargains found there.” He said quickly as he grabbed his gear and fled towards the elevator. “Night, Ziva. Night Boss!”

Ziva paused as her eyes narrowed slightly watching the senior agent leave. “Good night, Tony.” She stood thinking for a moment.

“Something on your mind, Zeever?” Gibbs asked as he holstered his gun and grabbed his badge and wallet.

“Tony was very quiet this afternoon.”

“Uh huh.” Gibbs curtly responded.

“We were having one of his grating campfires and he received a call. It seemed quite serious, Gibbs. And he has not acted like himself since.” She took a deep breath. “He said it was nothing.”

“Maybe it was nothing.” Gibbs said.

“I do not think so.” She grimaced slightly. “My ‘gut’ tells me otherwise.”

Gibbs smirked at her use of words. “I’ll look into it.”

She nodded. “Thank you.” She gathered her things. “Good night, Gibbs.”

“Night.”

*

As Gibbs spent part of the night sanding his boat, he thought about his conversation with Ziva. He had spent most of the day in meetings. When he had seen the team, the bullpen was mostly quiet. He figured at first, they were simply attending to their tasks. But, the area was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop. Even when he was working hard, Tony still tended to keep an ongoing dialogue. That was what was missing this afternoon. It made him think of the time Tony was on medical leave after the Plague. He did not even think Kate and McGee realized how much of a stabilizing force Tony was for the team. He may seem juvenile and annoying half the time, but Tony kept things light in the midst of the dire situations they found themselves in. It did not take away from the fact that he was a hell of an investigator. Until his leave, the younger agents had not realized how Tony made the day more bearable at times and how he could still be a mentor to them.

It was late when he finished sanding. He would observe his senior agent at the office tomorrow and intervene if necessary.

*

Tony sat on his bed in his bedroom willing himself to get a grip. He looked at his phone. Nausea consumed him as he ran over to his bathroom and let out the meager dinner that he had eaten earlier. As the dry heaves subsided, he wiped the tears that had coursed down his face. He sat down on the cold tile of his bathroom, his back leaning against the shower doors. He tucked his knees up as he draped his arms over them. He sat there in his lonely despair, wondering what the hell he was going to do.

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
-many OOC moments; I love hurt!Tony
-mentions of child abuse
-Dinozzo/Gibbs (father/son)
-I do not own the characters.