- Text Size +
Chapter 10

The next morning Jackson, Jethro, and Tony sat eating breakfast. After they completed their meal, Tony went to the family room and was about to flip on the TV. Jack sat reading the paper and sipping coffee and Jethro was grabbing his sports coat and was about to leave to go to the office. As Gibbs sat down on the couch next to Tony to talk to him before leaving, Tony’s cell rang. The phone was lying on the coffee table hooked up to a recording device. Tony’s heart suddenly raced and a look of panic descended upon his face. Gibbs nodded and touched his forearm. “It’s okay.”

Tony took a deep breath to try and calm himself. With a shaky hand, he tried to call upon his many years undercover to conquer his fear. He didn’t want his father to hear his fear.

“Agent Dinozzo.” Tony answered, his voice surprisingly steady.

Gibbs grinned slightly as he thought, ‘attaboy’ to himself.

“Anthony.” The gruff voice of Anthony Dinozzo Senior replied.

“Sir.” Tony forced himself to answer, his throat feeling constricted and dry suddenly.

“I will be in town tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sir.” Tony’s heart was hammering away in his chest. Just the sound of his father’s voice was going to make him lose control. He gazed up at Gibbs and the look of support he gave was helping to ground him.

“I am staying at the Adams House. I expect to see you at six pm sharp. Do not be late, Anthony.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Until then, Anthony.”

“Sir.” Tony answered and then heard the line go dead. He closed his phone and then stared at it for a time.

Gibbs was worried as he saw the look on Tony’s face. It was almost emotionless…lost. Suddenly, Tony shot up and dropped his phone. He ran to the bathroom and Gibbs could hear the sound of retching. All the contents from Tony’s breakfast came up. He was dry heaving as he fought the tears that streamed down his face.

As much as Gibbs needed to comfort Tony, the younger agent was in no position to talk right now. Jethro looked at his father and said, “Dad?”

Jackson understood the request and nodded as he walked over to Tony and began to rub his back through the dry heaving. Jethro went over to the phone and quickly listened to the recording. When he was done, he grabbed his cell and called Fornell.

*

Jethro had left Tony in his father’s capable hands and had to leave for a few hours later. He had to finalize plans with the FBI. They had obtained a warrant from a judge to be able to bug the penthouse suite at the Adams; although the owner of the swanky hotel would have allowed the use of their facility without the warrant. The United States government often placed some of their most important dignitaries at the five star establishment. They knew if they cooperated with the FBI investigation, they would continue to benefit from the repeat business. Their only request was that when Senior was arrested to escort him off the premises by the secret exit in the back of the building. Many a wealthy businessman or influential politician had used the secret corridor for decades. The Adams House was known for its discretion.

With the timeline set and the arrangements being made, Jethro walked through his front door. Jack sat on the recliner, reading the paper. “Where’s Tony?” Gibbs asked. “Is he okay?”

Jack sighed. “He’s scared, Leroy. He’s barely said a word since you left. I couldn’t get him to eat anything. Even made that chili he likes so much.”

Jethro gestured upstairs. “Is he in his room?”

“No. He’s in the basement. He said he wanted to be alone.” Jack folded his paper. “Are you sure he can do this, Leroy? Maybe there’s another way.”

“There isn’t.” Jethro replied as he went to the basement.

*

He slowly made his way downstairs. He saw Tony wrapped in a blanket, curled up in the old recliner he had put down there a few years back. Occasionally after a hard case, Tony would visit Gibbs’ basement. They often did not say much. Tony would watch Gibbs work on his boat; they would share a beer. After a few times of sitting on the steps, Gibbs dragged the old recliner from his garage down so Tony would have a more comfortable place to sit.

“Hey, bud.” Gibbs said quietly as he pulled up a small chair next to Tony. He watched as Tony slowly opened his eyes, but did not directly face him. “Talk to me.” He was trying to be as gentle as possible. The emotional rollercoaster that Tony was on was leaving him extremely labile. One minute he was the cocky self assured agent and the next was as fragile and scared as a little boy. “How come you’re down here? Your grandpa made some real good food for lunch.”

“Not hungry.” Tony answered quietly.

“I am. Would you come up with me?” Jethro asked. Tony shook his head. “Why not, Tony?” He mumbled something in response but Jethro could not understand. “Couldn’t hear you, Tony.”

“ ’M safe here.” He whispered as he curled into himself more, trying to shut out the world.

“Hey…” Gibbs said as he touched his face. “I’ll be next door the whole time, Tony. There are cameras everywhere in the room. I watched the FBI set up everything.” He paused. “Look at me, son.” He was pleased when Tony complied. “It’s almost over. I’ll keep you safe. Always.” He smiled. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes. With my life.” Tony replied.

Gibbs stood and offered his hand and helped Tony stand. “I trust you too and I love you.” Tony leaned in and Gibbs embraced him. They stood there for some time. Finally, Gibbs kissed the side of Tony’s head. “Let’s get upstairs. I’m starving.” Tony was still terrified, but felt stronger with Gibbs at his side.

*

That night, before turning in, Ducky came to visit. He shared some tea with the three men of the household. Before he departed, he shared a look with Jethro and nodded his head. “Anthony, a moment.”

“Yes, Ducky?” Tony asked.

“I am so proud of you, dear boy. Your ordeal is nearly over. Jethro has told me that it has been difficult sleeping the last few days. Is that true?”

Tony looked at Gibbs tentatively and then back at the ME. He nodded.

“You need your rest, Anthony.” Ducky continued. “Tomorrow is a big day and you need your mind sharp.” He reached into his medical bag and brought out a pill bottle. “This is only a mild sleeping pill. It shall help you get the rest you require this evening.”

Tony’s eyes widened as his breathing sped up slightly. “I-I don’t like medicines, Ducky.”

“I know, Anthony, but it will help you rest.” Ducky looked to Jack and Jethro to aid him.

“Tony,” Jack interjected, “listen to Ducky. He knows what he’s talking about.” Jack patted Tony’s shoulder. Tony nodded reluctantly. Gibbs handed him a glass of water and Ducky gave him the pill.

Jethro sat on the other side of Tony and placed his arm around his son’s. “Let’s keep watching the game. Okay?”

“Sure.” Tony said quietly as Gibbs tuned the TV back on. He felt safe being flanked by Jethro, Jack, and Ducky. It took some time, but finally Jethro noticed when Tony could barely keep his eyes open. He was fighting sleep so hard. Jethro needed him sharp and well rested before his confrontation with Senior in less than twenty four hours.

“Hey, kiddo, time for bed.” Gibbs smile das he saw Tony rub his eyes.

“Wha?” Tony slurred, the pill having its desired affect.

“Time for bed. Say goodnight to Jack and Ducky.” He said as he helped Tony stand. The senior agent swayed slightly from extreme fatigue and drug effects.

“G’night…” He said as he leaned against his Boss. “Boss?”

“Yeah, Bud.” Gibbs answered.

“’M lucky…” Tony closed his eyes as they began to walk.

“Why is that?”

“Now, have t-two grandpas and a dad…n-never had before…”

Jack and Ducky stood speechless, their eyes watering at Tony’s words. They were both more determined than ever to help Tony through his ordeal.

Gibbs slowly made his way upstairs. He steered Tony into his room and lay him gently in bed. He placed his covers over him as Tony sighed and turned to his side.

“Sweet dreams, Tony.” Gibbs whispered as he began to walk out.

Tony was nearly asleep as he whispered, “Love you, Dad…”

Gibbs felt a lump in his throat. “Love you too.”

TBC…

AN: Next: Daddy!Dinozzo…