- Text Size +
Warning: angst, very strong language, references to child abuse; slight change in canon (Tony was disinherited after high school)

Chapter 11

Jack kept Tony occupied most of the next day with his favorite movies Tim had brought over a few days before. He was being a mother hen. He made Tony eat, at least small amounts, made him shower, and simply kept him company. Jethro spent the majority of the day making sure the FBI wasn’t screwing up. He needed to make sure everything was up to his standards. He trusted Fornell, but felt uncomfortable leaving the fate of his son in the hands of the FBI.

Gibbs returned to his home at three pm. They had three hours before meeting up with Senior. He greeted his dad with a nod and raced up the stairs to be with Tony. He found him sitting on his bed in boxers and a worn ‘Property of the USMC’ t-shirt.

“Hey.” Gibbs said as he came into the room. He looked to the bed and saw one of Tony’s most expensive suits and beside that lay a polo shirt and some khaki‘s. “Gonna get ready soon, Bud?”

Tony looked at the clothes. “S-Should wear the suit…he’ll b-be so pissed if I show up in casual clothes.”

“Whatever you feel most comfortable in is fine, Tony.” He watched as Tony fretted over the choice and finally began to dress in the casual wear.

“We should go soon. I need you to meet with Fornell so you can feel comfortable with the plan.”

Tony nodded his head and took a deep breath. “Boss?” His voice was shaky. “Why?”

“Why what, Tony?”

“Why are you doing this?”

Gibbs stood in front of him. “Because, you’re worth it, Tony. I know your shit of a father told you for years that you were worthless; that you were nothing. But when he says those things to you, don’t believe him. He’s a miserable, pathetic man who had to take out his anger and frustration on a child. Real fathers, real parents don’t do that. Remember that, Tony. He failed you; you never failed him.” He paused. “You are everything to me, Tony. I would do anything for you. I would die for you.” He lifted his chin. “You understand me?”

Tony’s eyes watered as he bit his lip. “I don’t deserve you.”

“Don‘t say that. Some day I hope to convince you that you deserve the world.” He pulled him into a tight hug. “I can’t erase what he did to you. But, you have a family now. You, me, grandpa, Ducky, Tim, Ziva, Jimmy, and Abby. You belong with us.”

Tony nodded. “What if I’m not strong enough?”

“You are. You just need to believe in yourself. Don’t let him have any more power over you. You are strong and our family gives you strength as well.” He smiled. “Okay?”

“Okay.”

*

They met Fornell at Rock Creek Park and went over the layout of the hotel. Fornell informed Tony of where the video cameras and listening devices were throughout the suite. Tony had to admit to himself that the surveillance set up was impressive and thorough. It gave him a small sense of security.

Tony and Gibbs returned to his car and they stopped at their favorite coffee shop. Gibbs ordered a venti. He felt he needed it. Tony’s stomach was in knots so coffee wouldn’t be the best thing right now. They said few words as they waited.

“You okay?” Gibbs asked.

“Not really.” Tony answered. “Could use some bourbon right now.” He tried to keep a light tone, but he knew he was failing miserably.

“It’s almost over.” Gibbs tried to sound reassuring.

“I know.” He sighed. “W-Would you be disappointed in me if I told you I-I was scared to see him?” Tony looked so vulnerable.

“Not at all. I get scared too.”

“When?” He said, disbelief apparent in his eyes.

“When I was in Desert Storm, there were days I was terrified. Everyday when I send my team out to fight the bad guys, I get scared something will happen to you all.”

Tony looked down. “I don’t think I can compare my situation to war, Boss.”

Gibbs grabbed his hand briefly. “This is your war, Tony. And you are a survivor. You’re a good man and you will win.”

“How do you know?”

“I feel it in my gut.” He smiled and stood. He walked Tony to his car. Beside the mustang, McGee was in one of the NCIS vehicles.

“Boss. It’s time.” McGee smiled at Tony and nodded his head in encouragement.

Gibbs had one last look at Tony. “Remember, at the hotel, I’m right next door.” He got into the passenger seat and left Tony standing by his car. Tony grabbed his keys and slowly made his way to the hotel.

*

Tony took his time en route to the Adams House. His hands shook slightly as his knuckles had turned white gripping the steering wheel. He was trying to convince himself that this was simply an undercover op. But, he knew he was fooling himself. In all his years as a cop and an agent, he had never felt so scared before. He tried to calm himself with deep breaths and thinking about Gibbs. He smiled briefly thinking of the gruff marine. He had always dreamt of having a father in his life that cared about him. And it seemed Gibbs did. At times, Tony couldn’t believe it, but the man had never lied to him, why should he start now.

Tony’s heart sped up when he saw the entrance to the grand hotel. He pulled into the drive and stopped when he reached the valet. A gentleman opened his door.

“Welcome to the Adams. Do you have any bags?”

“No. Just here for dinner.”

“Very well, sir.” The man ripped the valet ticket and handed it to Tony. The senior agent took a deep breath and straightened his back. He was beginning to regret his choice in clothing. Usually his dapper suits served an almost armor like quality for the agent. He felt stronger when he dressed in his Zegna suits. He knew he looked good in them and even at his most insecure, he would appear to be the poster boy for confidence. Now, walking into the lion’s den, he felt small and insignificant; his superficial armor not providing any protection. He forced himself to walk to the front desk.

“May I help you sir?” The attendant said with a smile.

Tony cleared his throat. “I am here to meet my father. Anthony Dinozzo Senior?”

He typed into the computer. “Ah, yes. Mr. Dinozzo.” The man snapped his fingers and another man approached the desk. “Enrico, please escort Mr. Dinozzo to the Jefferson Suite.”

“Yes, Sir.” The bellhop answered in a thick accent. “Please follow me, Mr. Dinozzo.”

*

Gibbs and McGee entered the smaller suite next to Senior’s room. The FBI was now live. There were three monitors with the feed of the suite. One showing the main room, one for the bedroom and one for the bathroom. All in all, they had set up six cameras throughout Tony‘s father‘s room.

Gibbs heard Senior’s voice as he conducted some business. Just the sight of the man made him want to rush in there and kill him his bare hands. But, he had to practice some restraint but it wouldn’t be easy.

“Jethro.” Fornell said gruffly as he handed his friend a cup of steaming coffee. “Just waiting for your boy to arrive at the suite. My agent posted in the lobby said he just left the front desk.”

Gibbs grunted in response. He turned towards the door and saw Ziva, Ducky, and Abby in the back of the room. They wanted to be here to support Tony. McGee had taken a spot next to the FBI agent manning the computers and monitors. They were all in place.

There was a camera in the hallway and they saw how Tony stepped out of the elevator a few minutes later. He slowly walked towards the large door to the suite. Tony checked his watch and arranged his clothes. He smoothed down his hair. Gibbs could tell how nervous his son was. He wanted nothing more than to go be by Tony’s side, but he couldn’t. They all watched as Tony hesitated in front of the door, but finally forced himself to knock.

“Come in.” Was the harsh response Tony heard. The senior agent entered the palatial suite. His legs felt like jelly. He had to concentrate to walk towards his father, especially when he saw the stern look on his face. It had been over five years since he had seen Senior.

“Father.” Tony said quietly as he watched as him stand when he walked into the main room.

“Anthony.” He responded curtly as he looked his son up and down. “Glad to see you dressing properly, boy.” He said in annoyed tone.

Tony’s heart was clamoring away in his chest. “I came from work.” He said softly.

“Ah…work.” Senior answered with a roll of his eyes and proceeded to sit down and cross his legs. “Anthony. A drink.”

Tony seemed to jump at the command. “Y-Yes s-sir.”

*

Gibbs sat in the next room, seething. In the few minutes he had observed the interaction between Tony and his father, he felt nauseous. He stood and walked to the edge of the room where he observed his team. Abby was turned away from the monitors holding onto Ducky’s hand. Ziva had a murderous look in her eyes and Ducky had sadness in his. Gibbs hugged Abby.

“I’m not sure I can hear all this.” She whispered as a tear slipped from her eye.

“It’s okay, Abbs. Tony would understand.”

“I’ll be strong for him. He’ll need us when this is over.” She tried to smile. Gibbs kissed her on the cheek and returned to the front of the room.

*

“Macallan 18. Three fingers and one ice cube.” Tony said as he handed Senior the cocktail.

“Glad to see you didn’t forget everything I’ve taught you.” He scowled as he watched Tony take a seat opposite him. “And you’re drinking?”

“Water.” Tony replied quietly.

“Hmm.” Senior sniffed as he took a sip of his drink. “So. Your work.” He waved his hand as if dismissing it. “I still see you are a cop, judging by what you’re wearing.”

Tony had to calm himself. His father always did this to him. He tied him up in tight knots. “I-I’m a federal agent.”

Senior’s eyes narrowed. “Not the FBI.”

Tony shook his head. “NCIS.”

“And what, pray tell does that even stand for? It can’t be that important if I’ve never heard of it.”

Tony lowered his head briefly. His father always made him feel so small. “Naval Criminal Investigative Service. We have jurisdiction over crimes involving navy and marine personnel and their families.”

Senior chuckled and added sarcastically, “Sounds important.” He sipped his drink again. “Federal agent sound fancy; but, at the end of the day, you are still just a cop.”

Tony bit the inside of his lip so hard, he could taste blood. “Why does that bother you so much?”

Senior’s eyes hardened. “No Dinozzo should lower himself to such menial labor as law enforcement. It is beneath your upbringing. I didn’t pay all that money for boarding schools so you could go off and play with guns all day.”

Tony felt anger rising within him. “I-It’s not like I’ve gotten any money from you since high school. Y-You cut me off and threw me out after I g-graduated.”

“Of course I did.” Senior said with acid dripping from his tongue. “No son of mine is going to waste my money on some podunk college in the Midwest. You were accepted to Harvard for god sakes! How embarrassing for the family to tell them that my only son was going to Ohio State!”

“W-Why do y-you care w-what I do?”

“Stop your stuttering, BOY!” Senior said, causing Tony to flinch. His father suddenly looked to the other side of the room as his cell rang. He got up and placed his drink on the end table. He picked up his phone. “Dinozzo.” And with a big smile, he continued. “Gordon, old friend. How are you…yes…I’m in town for a few days…right now? Nothing important…yes…tonight…nine pm…I’m staying at The Adams…sure…see you then…”

When the call ended, Senior turned back towards his son. He saw how Tony was toying with his shirt collar. As he walked past his son, he slapped him across the face. “What did I tell you about fidgeting?” The hit was so hard and took Tony by surprise that he dropped his water to the floor.

“S-Sorry, f-father!” Tony bent down and picked up the ice cubes that spilled onto the expensive Persian rug. He ran to the bathroom and grabbed a towel and proceeded to clean up the mess.

*

Gibbs tensed up and walked towards the door.

“Jethro.” Fornell stopped him. “You knew this would be hard to watch. If you can’t be objective, then I will have you escorted off the premises. I will not let you compromise this investigation.”

“That’s my son, Tobias! That monster is hurting my son!” He said, his emotions getting the best of him. He hadn’t meant to be so vocal about his relationship with Tony. He hoped the other team members wouldn’t be upset about his admission. As if sensing their team leader needed their support, Abby, Ziva, Tim and Ducky walked over to him.

“It’s almost over, Jethro.” Ducky tried to assure his friend.

“As soon as he gives us the right information, Gibbs, we will get Tony.” Ziva added.

This time, it was Abby who gave the hug. Jethro gathered some strength from it. When she stepped back, she tried to make him smile. “It’s okay that Tony’s the favorite.” She grinned as she saw Jethro smirk slightly.

*

Tony frantically wiped up the water and brought the towel back to the marble bathroom. He placed it in the hamper and returned to his father.

“Still a sniveling, clumsy, worthless little child.” His father said as he placed his drink down.

Tony said nothing. He looked up when he saw his father begin to remove his jacket. When he loosened up his tie, Tony found himself taking a few steps back. Senior began walking towards the bedroom. “Anthony!” He bellowed, as he slipped his tie off. When he realized his son had not answered or followed him, he turned angrily back towards him. “Anthony!” His sounded enraged. “Go to the bedroom and remove your clothes. Now!” He smiled to himself seeing his son jump at the sound of his voice.

“N-No.” Tony answered as he took a few more steps back.

Senior stalked towards him. “Excuse me?” He stopped in front of him.

Tony took a deep breath. “I s-said n-no.”

Senior grinned evilly and backhanded Tony across the face, causing Tony to cry out in pain as he fell to the ground.

*

Jethro jumped out of his chair and went towards the door. He felt someone stop him. He turned angrily as he realized Ziva held his arm.

“Let go of my arm.” Gibbs warned.

“Just a little longer, Gibbs.” Ziva said, although it pained her for the words to come out of her mouth. “For Tony. This is how we can help him. Just a little longer.”

*

Tony struggled to get up. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, he felt wetness. When he looked down, he could see his blood. He thought of all the times he cowered, all the times his father beat him and raped him. He would not let it happen again.

“Get into the bedroom and take off your clothes.” Senior’s tone said everything.

“S-So you can r-rape me?” Tony responded.

“Rape?” Senior laughed heartily. “It’s a father’s right.”

“I-I was ten years old when you started!” Tony yelled as a few tears escaped. “W-Why? How could you? That’s n-not what a father is supposed to do!”

Senior’s eyes narrowed. “You are nothing, Anthony. You are my little whore. I knew you would be nothing but a disappointment to me.” He smirked. “Although, I must say, you were my perfect little slut. Always tight just for your father. After your mother died, I realized that our little boy was better pussy than his mother was.” He knew that hit below the belt because he saw Tony gasp and step back. The back of his legs hit the couch as he sat heavily on it. He derived such great pleasure in tearing him down.
Senior went towards him. “So, this is what you’re going to do. I will not waste my time anymore. Strip off your god damn clothes and get on the bed. Maybe I’ll have you suck my dick before I fuck your tight ass, Anthony. After all, it‘s been about five years since I‘ve had you.”

“N-No!” Tony said as he stood. For the first time, he realized he was taller than his father.

“You god damn, stubborn little shit. I will ruin you, Anthony. I will make it so you can’t find work in fucking Mayberry. You got me? I know people that are very important, you ungrateful little bastard.” He stepped forward to hit Tony again, but this time, Tony stopped him.

“D-Don’t touch m-me!” He said as he shoved his father away from him. When his father tried again, Tony punched him and Senior fell to the ground. “D-Don’t touch me…n-not a-anymore!” Senior lay on the floor, shock across his face. He held his hand against his cheek. Pure anger descended upon him as he stood. Suddenly, the door to the hotel quickly opened and he heard, “FBI! Freeze!”

Senior turned around quickly to see three men with guns trained at him. He slowly lifted his hands up. “What is the meaning of this?” He asked in an annoyed tone.

Fornell walked up to him and placed his arms behind his back. “You have the right to remain silent…”

“What is this?” He bellowed. “What the hell am I getting arrested for?”

“For starters, Mr. Dinozzo, assaulting a federal agent.” Fornell said as he continued reading the man his Miranda rights. “Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to speak to an attorney…”

Gibbs rushed past Senior and Tobias to reach Tony’s side. The senior agent had lost his balance and had knelt on the floor. His arms were wrapped around himself as he looked at the floor. In his state, Tony did not even hear the FBI enter the room. He was oblivious to the flurry of activity around him, “Don’t t-touch m-me…don‘t touch me…don‘t touch m-me…d-don‘t…don‘t…” He kept repeating over and over again, mumbling to himself; he was lost in his own hellish world of despair.

“Tony?” He asked softly. “Look at me, Tony.” He knew Ducky was behind him by now. He turned to his friend when Tony did not seem to respond. “Let’s help you up, Tony.” Ducky and Gibbs worked together to lift the man up and placed him on the couch. Tony stare straight ahead, not even registering the comforting words of his dad.

“He’s in shock, Duck.” Gibbs said quietly as Tony stared at nothing.

“Talk to him, Jethro.” The ME urged.

“Agent Gibbs.” A new voice spoke. “We were told to look at Agent Dinozzo.” When Gibbs turned to the voices, he realized they were EMT’s. They stepped near Tony and heard him whimper, somehow realizing that strangers were attempting to approach him.

“No!” Gibbs said quickly. “He doesn’t need that right now. Leave him be.” He turned his attention back to Tony. The senior agent looked so lost. Gibbs stroked his hair and spoke to him softly. “It’s okay, Tony. It’s over. You did so good…” After some moments, his words seemed to break through whatever wall Tony had constructed.

“Daddy?” His voice whispered as he looked at Gibbs with such innocent eyes.

“Hey.” Gibbs smiled. “You did good, Tony. Fornell took him into custody.”

“I-It’s over?” He asked with hope in his voice. When Gibbs nodded, Tony continued. “S-Safe now?” He choked on his words as the tears flowed from his eyes. He felt Jethro’s arms encircle him. He was surrounded by warmth and the smell of sawdust. It was the best feeling in the whole world.

“You’re safe, Tony. You’re safe…” Gibbs replied as he held him in his arms.


TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
Warning: violence, OOC, angst, very strong language, references to child abuse; slight change in canon (Tony was disinherited after high school)