- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary: Anthony Dinozzo thought he had outrun the nightmare that was his past. When it comes back to haunt him, he learns that the family he always wanted was right before his very eyes.
The next morning, Tony strolled into the bullpen with an extra bounce in his step. He held a bag in his hand and the other held a coffee cup carrier.

“Hot bagels for everyone!” He exclaimed to the group.

“You’re late Dinozzo.” Gibbs said quietly as he looked up from his desk. He noticed Tony looked extra dapper today. He appeared to be wearing a new suit, his hair was perfectly combed, and his shoes were extra shiny. Gibbs couldn’t help but feel a sense of dread.

“Sorry, Boss.” He went over with some coffee. “The line at the coffee place was extra long. But, I got you their most toxic blend AND it’s a venti!”

“A whati?”

“Venti! That means their largest.” Tony smirked.

“Why can’t they just say large?” The team leader scowled as he took a sip. “Huh. Good stuff.”

That bit of approval made Tony’s smile even brighter. He went over to Tim and then to Ziva, and handed them their coffee and tea respectively and had them pick a warm bagel.

“Thanks, Tony.” Tim said with a smile. He felt relieved that Tony seemed to be back to normal. He had worried. He had mentioned something to Gibbs that morning.

“No problem, McLatte. Got the coffee right, I think.” He paused as Tim took a small amount.

“Yeah, thanks. I didn’t know you knew what kind I liked.”

Tony feigned shock. “Like I said yesterday, you have much to learn, Mcgrasshopper. It is called the power of observation.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Tim grinned as he turned his attention back to his computer.

“Thank you as well, Tony. I do love my morning tea.” Ziva said with a nod. She hoped that his good mood was genuine.

*

As the day progressed, Gibbs watched Tony carefully. On the surface, Tony seemed fine. He joked with his co-workers and made some astute observations. But Gibbs could sense something off about Tony. When they wrapped up for the day, Gibbs and Tony were the only two left in the bullpen.

“Gear up, Dinozzo. The reports can wait until morning.” Tony nodded and said nothing as he grabbed his backpack. The two men made their way to the elevator. As they rode down and subsequently made their way to their cars, Gibbs kept thinking of a way to voice his concerns without being too obvious.

“See you tomorrow, Boss.” Tony said quietly as he stopped at his car.

Jethro stood by him for a moment before speaking. “Tony…” he began. The use of his first name made Tony stand up straighter. “You know I’ve got your six, right?”

Tony looked at his boss with slightly confused eyes. Had he been so transparent? “What do you mean, Boss?”

Gibbs stepped closer to his senior agent and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s not just in work, having your six. We clear?”

Tony nodded as his eyes watered slightly. He had to find his voice to answer. “Gotcha, Boss.”

Gibbs genuinely smiled as he nodded as well. As he made his way to his car, he spoke, “My door is always unlocked.” With that Jethro got into his car and drove away.

*

Tony sat in his car for a few minutes before making his way to his place. As he stepped into his apartment, he took appraisal of his home for nearly five years. He had a few pictures on the wall of his family room area. There was one of him, Kate, and Abby. And there was a more recent picture of the current team. He stood next to Gibbs, leaning slightly towards him. That man meant everything to Tony. If it wasn’t for him, Tony would have packed up and left years ago. He knew people probably thought he followed Gibbs around like a lost puppy. But Gibbs gave him something he had always sought: stability. That’s why when Gibbs left for Mexico, it hit Tony hard. Those months were hell for him. He covered it well, but he missed the team leader so much. Having him back, even with his demotion, was worth it. That’s why he did not take the Rota job. He did not want to be that far away from the man he felt so close to. As he continued to stare at the photograph, he couldn’t help the tear that escaped. He took the picture off the wall and walked to his bedroom. He reached under his bed and grabbed his two larger suitcases. As he opened them, he looked around and couldn’t bare filling them. He sat down on his bed heavily. He attempted to take a deep calming breath but couldn’t help the sob that emerged.

After an hour, he sat in the same spot. He stood upon shaky legs and grabbed his keys and fled hastily to his car. He wasn’t sure where he was going as he drove through the streets of DC. After some time, he found himself in a neighborhood. He realized that he had made his way towards Gibbs’ house. He parked his car as he wiped his face. His Boss’ car was not in the driveway. Perhaps it was in the garage. It took a while for him to get the courage to leave his car. He slowly walked up the sidewalk and stood at the front door. He reached his hand up to knock, but he stopped abruptly. His hand shook as he placed it down against his side. After a few moments, he then placed it on the door knob. It took him some time to actually turn it. When he stepped inside, there was only the light in the kitchen illuminating the simple décor of Gibbs’ home. The house was eerily quiet. “Gibbs?” Tony said softly as he looked around. He quickly checked the basement but he was not there. He stopped at the base of the steps to the upstairs. He called up. “Gibbs?” He waited for a response. He looked around as his eyes watered. “Jethro?” His voice cracked as the tears began to flow down his face.

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
warning: OOC