- Text Size +
Chapter 7

When Gibbs was sure Tony had calmed down sufficiently, he felt it was okay to leave for the office and allow Tony to stay behind. He did not want to force him to go in if it would upset him.

“Here’s the remote.” Gibbs said as he pointed to the medium sized television in the family room.

“A remote?”

“Got cable a little while ago.” Gibbs said as he looked around gathering his things.

“Cable?” Tony smirked slightly as he relaxed. “Leroy Jethro Gibbs has cable?”

“My father insisted last time he visited.” He paused. “Oh, and Tony? My father is coming today.”

“He is?” Tony asked a bit surprised. “You told him?” There was slight panic in his voice.

“No. I called to talk with him and he knew something was wrong with you. So, he’s coming.” Jethro sat by Tony for a moment. “I can tell him or you can. I just didn’t want to over the phone. My dad cares about you a lot, Tony.”

“Thanks.” Tony responded softly. “I guess you can tell him.”

Jethro nodded. “I’ll be back as soon as I can. Call me if you need anything. There’s leftover pizza in the fridge.” He paused at the door. “I expect you to have eaten, Tony. Gotta keep your strength up.”

“Okay.” He answered and proceeded to turn the TV on. He did not even look to the front door as he heard Gibbs lock it.

*

Gibbs walked quickly out of the elevator and stood in the center of the bullpen and got straight down to business. “What do you two got?”

McGee started typing and an image came upon the plasma screen. “This is Isabella Muñoz. One of Tony’s former nannies. She was reportedly fired after serving the family for over twelve years. It appears there were deportation hearings about her, but they never came to fruition.”

“Where does she live?” Gibbs asked after he sipped on his extra strong coffee.

“The lower east side in New York City.”

“Got an address?”

“Yes, Boss.”

“Good.” Gibbs turned to Ziva.

She stood. “There is a storage facility just outside of New York City that would have old medical records from Long Island Community Hospital.”

“Any way to access them online?” Gibbs asked.

“No.” Ziva answered.

Gibbs nodded. “Okay. When you arrive in New York, make sure any leads you have can be taken care of in the next two days. It should take about five hours to drive to the city from here. Keep a log of expenses. I’ll get a quick approval from Vance. Go home and pack and meet back here in an hour.”

“Yes, Boss.” McGee and Ziva grabbed their gear and raced out of bullpen.


*

After talking with Vance, Gibbs waited for Fornell in the conference room.

“What do you got, Tobias?”

“Plenty. We’ll just need time to compile the ridiculous number of charges that he could face.” The FBI agent scratched at his beard. “My agent should be meeting up with McGee and David right now to get to New York.”

“What about, Tony?” Jethro asked.

Tobias took a deep breath. “I think the best way to resolve that is to have Tony meet with him.”

“What?” Gibbs practically shouted. “Are you out of your mind?”

Tobias held his hands up. “Jethro, you’re not thinking rationally. I get it. You care for the kid. Like I care for my Emily.” He paused. “But, you know as well as I do, that to prove all the abuse so many years ago is nearly impossible. But, if we know where they will meet, we can set up surveillance cameras and catch the bastard on tape before he has any real chance to hurt Tony.” He stepped back.

“I don’t know if he can agree to that, Tobias. He’s terrified.”

“I know, Jethro. But, if he’s as good undercover as you say he is, then the kid is a hell of a fighter and he can pull this off.” He let his words sink in. “Has Senior contacted Tony yet?”

“No. But I’m sure he will.”

“You have recorder devices for cell phones?” The FBI agent asked and Jethro nodded. “Hook Dinozzo’s cell to it when you’re at home or here. Everything the bastard says to Tony needs to be heard in court.”

“Agreed.”

*

As the two men left the conference room, Jethro smiled when he saw his father sitting at his desk.

“Dad.” Jethro said as he walked over and gave him a hug.

“Hey, son.” Jackson Gibbs smiled warmly. He looked over his son’s shoulder. “Hello, G man.”

Fornell chuckled slightly and nodded. “Jack.”

“Where’s Tony?” The older man asked.

“At my house. He didn’t want to come in.”

“So, what’s going on with him? And the FBI is involved how?” Jack asked with worried eyes.

Jethro placed a hand on his dad’s shoulder and led him towards the elevator. “I’ll explain on our way home, dad.”

*

As Jack and Jethro entered the front door, they saw Tony dozing on the couch in the family room. The TV was running, but at a low volume. He looked peaceful, so the two did very little to disturb him. Jethro placed his father’s things in the third bedroom upstairs and then went to the kitchen to warm up the leftover pizza for Tony.

Jack said quietly as he started to make coffee, “Day old pizza, Jethro? The boy needs fresher food than that.”

Gibbs wanted to be irritated at his father, but he was just happy to have him there. Tony needed everyone around him. “Going to cook tonight, Jack.” He smirked as his father slapped him lightly on the head.

They prepared their things in silence. Jack was running the conversation he had with his son on the way home in his head. How could Tony have put up with such abuse? He already thought the world of the younger man and now his admiration from what he survived confirmed his feelings.

As he watched the pained look in Leroy’s eyes as he told of Tony’s personal hell, he knew Leroy loved the boy as his own. And over the last few years, Jack’s feelings for Tony had deepened as well. He wanted to make sure he knew that.

They heard Tony making some noise so they entered the family room. Jack stood back as he watched the two. Jethro sat down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

“Hey.” The team leader said softly as Tony’s hazel eyes fluttered open.

“Hi.” Tony answered as he sat up. He turned and saw Jackson and smiled. “Hi, Mr. Gibbs.”

"Tony.” Jack replied as he used his cane to walk over to him. “What have I told you about being so formal.”

“Sorry.” Tony blushed.

“Lunch is ready.” Jethro said as the two stood; as Tony walked to the kitchen, Jackson embraced him in a hug. Then, Tony sat down quietly and began to eat. He was glad to be with Jethro and Jack, but he felt a bit embarrassed as he felt the two watching him. After some time, Tony became uncomfortable with the silence. “See? I’m eating. You don’t have to watch me like a hawk.” Tony did not mean to sound bitter. And luckily, Gibbs did not acknowledge his tone.

“Glad you have more of an appetite today.” Gibbs replied.

“Yeah.” Tony said as he looked down. He felt tension brew within him as they continued to sit there. “Will you please stop looking at me like that?” He said as he stood.

Jethro answered. “Like what, Tony?”

“Like I’m going to break!” He walked across the kitchen. “I’m fine!”

Jackson slowly made his way to Tony. Tony couldn’t bare to look the older gentleman in the eye. “Tony,” he began softly, “we’re family. You don’t need to hide or be embarrassed with us.” He placed his hand on his shoulder. “We’re here for you.”

Tony took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Mr. Gibbs.” He sounded like a little boy. “I didn’t mean to yell.” Tony went back over to the table and sat down heavily in his chair. The Gibbs men followed suit; one on each side of Tony.

“Now, Tony. No more of the Mr. Gibbs stuff. We‘ve known each for three years now.” He smiled. “You can call me Jack or I would prefer Grandpa.” He continued when Tony looked up with wet eyes. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been called that and well, since we’re family and all…just seems right. Don’t you think?” He turned to his son. “Sounds good to you, Leroy?”

Jethro smirked. “Sounds great to me, Dad.”

“Well, seems like you’re stuck with us, Tony.” Jack continued. “And you know how us Gibbs men are: stubborn like mules.”

Tony let the words wash over him and it felt like something inside him clicked. He finally knew he had a place where he belonged. But, he was still scared. He asked weakly, “Is this a dream?” He turned to Jethro.

“Nope.” Gibbs answered.

“Promise?” Hope shined in his eyes.

“Yep.” Jethro leaned forward and kissed him on the forehead. “Love ya, kid.”

Tony fought against every bit of his coping mechanisms to take a leap of faith. He looked at Jethro and said quietly, “Love you too, d-dad…”

Gibbs looked at him and smiled the biggest smile Tony had ever seen from the usually stoic lead agent. Besides joy on his face, Tony thought he recognized something else: pride. Jethro grabbed Tony’s hand and said, “Attaboy.”

TBC…