- Text Size +
Chapter 9

Jethro walked into his home just after midnight. When he reached his family room, the sight he saw made his heart melt. On the couch, Tim was sitting, arms crossed across his chest, head leaned back against the headrest. On his lap, Tony’s legs lay across him as he curled against the armrest of the couch. They both were in a deep sleep. He knew he had made the right call in sending Tim over earlier that evening. Gibbs didn’t feel Ziva could be as sympathetic as Tony needed and Abby was too emotional and hyper for him right now. Gibbs saw beyond the juvenile banter between the two male agents on his team. He knew they held great respect for each other and if Tony could open up to anyone besides Gibbs, he felt McGee would be the ideal one for that.

Gibbs walked to the couch and gently placed his hand on McGee’s shoulder. The junior agent’s eyes fluttered open. “Boss?”

Gibbs nodded as Tim looked over to see Tony in much needed slumber. Jethro patted Tony’s shoulder lightly. “Tony?” Awareness slowly returned as green eyes sluggishly opened. “Hey, Bud. Let’s get to bed.” He helped Tony sit up. The senior agent was still half asleep, the emotional toll of the last few days finally expressing itself.

“’kay…” Tony mumbled as he allowed Jethro to lead him up the stairs. Before they ascended the staircase, Jethro turned to Tim. “Give me a minute, McGee, I’ll be right back.” He said softly.

“Sure, Boss.” Tim answered.

*

After five minutes, Jethro returned. He sat down heavily. Tim could see fatigue in the lines of his Boss’ face.

“You okay, Boss?” Tim asked and when he saw a smirk, he knew the answer. “Right. Stupid question.”

Gibbs turned to him. “How’d it go?”

“We watched a movie. Talked.” Tim looked at him quickly before turning away. He wasn’t sure if Gibbs would be mad. “I told Tony about his nanny. Understandably, he was upset. He never knew what had happened to her.”
Tim paused trying to gage Gibbs’ reaction. When there was none, he continued. “He opened up a little.” Tim ran a hand through his hair. “I’m amazed he can be functional, knowing what he went through.” He sighed. “I hope I didn’t mess up with him.”

Gibbs looked intently at his agent. “You didn’t, Tim. In fact, I’m happy Tony felt like he could talk to you. He needs that.”

Tim blushed slightly at the compliment. “Thanks, Boss.” After a little time, he added. “So, anything new?”

“Not much.” Gibbs said wearily. “The FBI are continuing to compile and expand on their already open investigation into Tony‘s father. Tobias is coming here late morning so we can talk to Tony about when Senior comes.”

“What’s the plan?” After Gibbs told him, Tim sat with wide eyes. “Is Tony going to agree to it?”

Gibbs answered, “I don’t know. The records you got from the hospital tell us that there was abuse in the past, but that doctor is dead. There is no statute of limitations on child abuse for the life of said child. Senior would probably use his vast resources to prolong prosecution for as long as possible.” He paused. “The nanny is a witness.”

“Yes, but twenty years later, Boss, and she is still terrified of Tony’s father.”

“So, confronting senior is our best option.” The two men were silent for a time.

“Boss?” Tim said. “Do you mind if I come back when Agent Fornell arrives?”

Gibbs couldn’t help the slight smile. “Be back at eleven am sharp.”

“Sure thing.” Tim grabbed his keys and left.

*

Tony woke up in late morning. Jackson was reading the paper in the family room and Jethro had managed to go to the Yard and was back already. A freshly showered Tony slowly made his way down the stairs. Jethro had to reign in his anger at Tony’s father. Not only had he hurt him in unimaginable ways, he had turned Tony into a virtual shut-in for the last five days. Tony lived for his work, and he had not mentioned going back since this nightmare had started.

“Good morning, Tony.” Jackson said as he looked up from his paper.

“Good morning.” He said quietly as he sat down on the couch.

“Get your butt over here, Dinozzo.” Jethro called as he prepared some food for him.

“Yes, Boss.” Tony said as he walked over.

He sat down at the table just outside the kitchen and Gibbs put a plate of eggs, bacon, and fruit in front of him. He also put a glass of milk next to it.

“Not a baby…” Tony mumbled under his breath as he shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth. When he looked up, Gibbs was standing over him.

“You’re my baby. Get used to it.” Gibbs ruffled his hair as he went back to the sink to clean up the mess he had made.

Tony smiled shyly as he felt warmth spread through him. Jackson joined them a few minutes later. Jethro had made some fresh coffee and placed three cups on the table. They sat in comfortable silence as they sipped on their hot beverage. Gibbs glanced at the wall clock and turned to Tony.

“Tony. Fornell is going to be here soon.”

Tony’s eyes widened. “Why?”

“We’re going to discuss what we do from here about your father.” He waited for Tony to digest the statement. “Tim is coming too.”

He seemed confused. “Tim?”

“He wanted to be here. Is that okay?” Gibbs asked. He watched as Tony shrugged. “Was it okay last night him being here?”

Tony thought for a minute. “Yeah. He listened a-and didn’t laugh at me.” He sounded so small.

“Tim is your friend.” Jackson interjected. “He is here to support you.”

“I know.” Tony’s head shot up when there was a knock on the door.

“Easy, Tony.” Gibbs said as he stood. “It’s just Tobias.” He leaned over and kissed Tony on the head and went to the front door. Fornell and Tim were both there. Jethro opened the door and nodded as the men stepped through.

“Have a seat.” Gibbs said as he pointed to the table where Jackson and Tony were.

“Dinozzo.” Tobias said quietly as he sat. He noticed the stress and fatigue on the face of Gibbs’ senior agent. He wanted nothing more than to get Dinozzo senior.

“Agent Fornell.” Tony answered softly as he could barely meet the FBI man in the eye. McGee took a chair next to Tony.

“Tony, we need to talk about what to do if your Father calls.” Gibbs started.

“Not if…when.” Tony responded quietly.

“Okay. When he calls.” Gibbs corrected himself as he looked at Fornell.

“Tony,” the FBI agent continued, “when he calls, we will record the entire conversation. Will he inform you where to meet him?” Tony nodded. “What I have proposed is to set up surveillance in the meeting place.”

“Why?” Tony asked innocently.

Fornell hesitated. “So, we can properly install microphones and cameras in the room.”

Tony looked to Gibbs. “What?” He stood shakily. “Y-You w-want me t-t-to…” He became increasingly distressed and started hyperventilating.

“Tony!” Jethro stood before him with his head in between his hands. “I’ll be next door the entire time. We need to catch him on tape admitting what he has done to you: the abuse, the threats, all of it. We will stop him. He will not hurt you. I won’t let him.” Tony wriggled his way out of Jethro’s grasp as he walked backwards away from the others.

“No…no…” Tony mumbled and Jethro was afraid he was retreating into himself. This was the best way, but he had to help Tony see that.

He felt like a bastard, but he added in a serious tone. “Agent Dinozzo!”

Tony’s head snapped up immediately to attention. “Boss?”

Jethro walked slowly towards him. “You are one of the best undercover agents we have. Just think of this like an op.” His heart nearly broke as a tear escaped from Tony’s eye. “You can do this, Tony. I know you can. We’ll be next door the entire time. We’ll step in before he does anything.” He hugged his son. “It can be over, Tony; finally, after all these years. It can be over.” Tony felt like he as going to lose it as he stepped back from Gibbs. He looked at his surrogate father and grandfather, his colleague and friend, and the only FBI agent that Gibbs trusted. He shakily nodded his head in agreement. He gazed at Gibbs and quietly said, “I-I n-need to be a-alone.” He turned and ran up the stairs. He went to his room and closed the door. He looked around the room as his breath hitched. He went farthest away from the door and stopped when his back hit the wall. He slid down until he rested on the floor. His knees were against his chest as he leaned his head forward. He couldn’t help the fear that encompassed him. He didn’t know what to do.

*



Fornell had left a few minutes ago. Jack and Tim still sat at the table, both men at a loss for words. Jethro paced, his head glancing at the staircase with every new pass. He wanted to give Tony some time to digest the plan. But he wanted to comfort him as well.

“Boss?” Tim asked, finally breaking the silence.

“Yeah, McGee?” Instead of his usual gruff tone, Jethro just sounded stressed.

“Should I…” The young agent looked up the steps.

“No. I’ll go.” Gibbs answered curtly, realizing he sounded so harsh. “Sorry, Tim. Go check in at the Yard and see what else we can dig up. Why don’t you come back this evening? Bring another movie. I think Tony would like that.”

“Sure, Boss.” He answered and with a nod at Jack, Tim left.

*

Gibbs stood in front of the Tony’s door. He hesitated when he did not hear any sounds. Perhaps in his emotional state. Tony had fallen asleep. He raised his hand slightly to knock, but his hand hovered in the air. “Get some balls, Marine.” He mumbled to himself. His knock was light. He waited a few moments and then slowly opened the door. “Tony?” He said quietly as he stepped in. He saw his son in the corner of the room, curled up against the wall. It was as if Tony had wanted to disappear. It was amazing that a man over six feet tall could look so small. “Hey, Bud.” Gibbs continued as he sat down next to Tony. He ignored the crick in his knees as he did so. “Talk to me, Tony.” He said gently.

Slowly Tony turned towards him. “What do you want me to say?” Tony sounded defeated. When Gibbs did not immediately answer, he went on. “I-I thought…” He stopped as his eyes watered.

“Thought what?” Gibbs replied.

“I thought s-since I-I told you…it w-would all be better…” His eyes were innocent as he gazed upon his father figure. Gibbs recognized the look. It was the look a child gave a parent when hoping they could guard them against the horrors that are out in the world.

“I will keep you safe, Tony. I will NEVER let him touch you like that again.” He added with conviction. “This is the best way to make sure we get him. If there was another way, I promise I would find it.”

Tony looked down. “I know…it’s j-just…” He felt Gibbs grab his hand into his. “Dad…” Tony whispered as he leaned into Gibbs.

Jethro placed his arms around his son. “It’s okay. I’ve got you. I’ve got you.” He kissed Tony’s forehead and said a prayer to keep him safe.

*

After Tony slept restlessly for most of the day, evening came. Jethro was outside grilling when his phone rang. “Yeah, Gibbs.”

“Hey, Boss.”

“McGee.”

“Listen, I’m on my way…b-but…”

“Spit it out, Tim.”

“Abby and Ziva insist on coming. They want to see Tony and make sure he is okay. They’re pretty adamant, Boss.”

Gibbs knew how Abby could get. He wasn’t sure if Tony could deal with it, but they were his friends. “Okay. When will you be here?”

“About thirty minutes. Should I bring anything?”

“No.” Gibbs answered and hung up. He took the steaks and hot dogs off the grill, glad he had prepared more than he needed initially. He knew Ziva and Abby were not going to wait much longer to see Tony. He placed the food in the oven to warm and washed his hands. He ascended the staircase and went into Tony’s room. His senior agent was laying down, but he could tell he was not asleep.

Gibbs sat on the edge of the bed. “Tony.” Gibbs rubbed his back gently. “Sit up.” He asked. When Tony did as requested, he tried to smile at him. “Tim, Ziva, and Abby are coming to have dinner soon. Is that okay?”

Tony thought for a moment and shrugged his shoulders.

“This is your house too, Tony. I want you to be comfortable here. I can always call them back and say you’re not up for company.”

“No. I-It’s fine.” Tony answered. Gibbs nodded his head and then stood, but suddenly Tony grabbed his hand.

“Are you okay?”

Tony nodded. “I…wanted to tell y-you…t-thank y-you…”

“For what, Tony?”

“F-For believing me…”

Gibbs sat back down. “I will ALWAYS believe you, Tony. And I will always love you.”

Hearing Gibbs say those words made Tony feel ten feet tall. He felt more secure. He took a deep breath and continued, this time speaking with more confidence because he could feel how much Gibbs cared. “I know…I love you too, Dad…” After he said that he noticed a big smile upon Gibbs’s face. “What?” Tony asked, confused by the smile.

“It feels good to be called Dad again.” Gibbs sighed as he thought of his daughter. “She would have loved you, you know.”

“Kelly?” Tony asked in an almost reverent tone.

“Yep.”

Shannon and Kelly were a subject Jethro rarely brought up, and Tony felt honored that he would with him.

“Does it ever get easier?” Tony asked. He hated to think of the constant burden Gibbs carried.

“Yes and no. I will never forget what happened to them. Or forget them. But my heart has healed more since you came in my life, Tony.” Gibbs paused for a moment, having to stop talking for his voice was cracking. “So, I feel lucky that I got a second chance to be a father. It’s the best feeling in the world.”

Those words made Tony smile brightly as he stood. “I should shower…before they come.”

“Sounds good. I’ll see you downstairs.”

*

Tony showered quickly and stood in the kitchen watching as Gibbs finished preparing the salad and other side dishes. He sipped on a beer and was slowly peeling the label off.

Gibbs opened the refrigerator and grabbed Italian dressing and set it on the counter. He could tell the wheels were spinning in Tony’s brain. “What’s on your mind, Tony?”

“What?” Tony shook his head in disbelief as he chuckled slightly. “You really know me, don’t you?”

“I do.” Gibbs responded.

Tony sighed as he took another drag off his beer. He let the burn settle and then spoke. “I don’t know how to act around them anymore.”

“You don’t have to act, just be yourself.” Gibbs said as he chopped some tomatoes.

“What if they don’t like who I am?” Tony asked in a nervous tone, biting his lip.

Gibbs wiped his hands on a washrag. “You are the same Tony that I’ve worked with for the last five years. You’re witty and brave and sometimes annoying with your jokes and pranks.” Gibbs winked and elbowed him lightly in the stomach eliciting a smile from his son. “Some of that may have been a smokescreen, Tony, but we KNOW you. You’re loyal and hard working and smarter than you give yourself credit for. You don’t always have to wear the face of a clown, Anthony.”

“Isn’t that what everyone expects?” He asked, unsure of himself.

“You can be quiet and introspective sometimes. We won’t think any worse of you. It‘s okay to let them in. It doesn‘t make you weak.” Gibbs stood in front of him. “You’ve been through so much, it is bound to make you sad and scared sometimes. They won’t think any less of you. They don’t pity you, Tony. They admire you for your strength.”

“You think so?” He asked in a quiet voice.

“I know so.” He said as he tapped under Tony’s chin a few times in a loving gesture. “Isn’t that a rule?”

Tony smiled. “What rule?”

“The Boss is always right.” Gibbs smirked.

“Hadn’t heard that one, Boss.”

*

The evening had gone well so far. Initially, there was an awkward silence among the group. But after they sat down to eat, the conversation flowed.

Abby, Tim, Ziva, and Tony were currently sitting outside on Gibbs’ surprisingly nice patio furniture. Jethro had revealed it was one of the things he got to keep from wife number three. He was watching the ballgame with his father, while the “kids” were enjoying the nice fall evening. Very few words were exchanged, but it wasn’t uncomfortable.

As Tony gazed up he quietly said, “When I wasn’t watching TV or movies, I would sit on the balcony for hours watching the stars. It was peaceful. It was…” Tony stopped talking as if he realized he was saying too much.

Abby looked over at her friend and grabbed his hand. “It’s okay, Tonyboy.” She nodded her head in encouragement.

What he saw in her eyes was compassion and friendship, not pity. “Those were the only times, I felt happy. I could imagine all these other worlds in the sky or in the movies, and I c-could forget…for just a little bit…” His voice choked.

Abby eyes moistened as she stood with Tony’s hand still in hers and sat down on him and pulled him into a hug. She was happy when Tony seemed to relax into her. She said nothing and just let her action speak volumes. Tim moved his chair closer and placed his hand on Tony’s forearm. Ziva stood behind Tony’s chair and placed her hands on his shoulders. She leaned down and kissed the top of his head. “My little hairy butt…” They all smiled as they continued to watch the stars.

TBC…