- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs/Tony

Gibbs and Tony are alone on a stakeout, in an old abandoned building waiting to catch a thief, and shut down a major black-market ring operating in the area.

Gibbs can tell that something is wrong--with Tony--and he reaches out to the younger NCIS Special Agent, but that's where things start to get a little...hinky...
"Rainy Days"

--Chapter One--

Gibbs strolled through the door into the room that he and Tony were sharing for this particular stakeout. The door closed behind him, and Tony turned around in his direction.

"Coffee?" Gibbs said, offering up one of the two cups in his hand(s).

"Thanks." Tony replied, with a weak smile, as he accepted the styro-foam cup of coffee from his boss.

"S'coming down like cats and dogs out there." Tony said, nodding out the window that he was sitting in front of.

"Yep." Gibbs replied, shrugging out of his soaked rain coat, and hanging it up on a nearby coat hook that he had hammered into the wall himself back when they'd first gotten here/there.

Gibbs took the seat next to the one that Tony was sitting in.

"Anything interesting happen?"

"Nope." Tony replied, taking a sip of coffee.

They sat there together for what seemed like forever, after that, in silence. Gibbs had never known his Senior Field Agent to be this quiet--ever.

The two men had been out on this ungodly stake-out for almost three days now, and the days seemed to be dragging on longer and longer each day that passed them by.

They'd received a tip a few days ago that indicated that a piece of high-tech gadgetry, stolen from a nuclear submarine, was going to be passed off to a 'black-market' dealer who would then put the item up for bid to the highest bidder.

This was their last, best chance to catch the thief, and shut down a major black-market ring operating in the area.

"Everything okay?" Gibbs asked, between sips of his own black coffee.

"Hmm--sure. Why would something be wrong?" Tony replied, in a somber tone.

"Dunno." Gibbs replied, between sips of coffee. "You tell me."

Tony shrugged, and stared down at his coffee cup. "Its nothing."

Gibbs knew Tony all too well, to take that at face value. He'd known, practically from the moment that the two of them had first met, that the younger man was troubled--though he usually did a pretty good job of covering it up--it always surfaced at some point.

The first of Tony's problems/troubles was that he was not the womanizer that most people thought he was. The truth was that Tony DiNozzo was 'Gay'--a fact that his own father despised him for, and had even gone so far as to disown the young man. Sometimes, on special occasions when his mother would call to check on him, somehow his father would get involved, and after just 5 minutes or so with that man would have Tony thinking seriously about committing suicide.

Tony tried several, several times to correct the behavior that his father had deemed, so long ago, as 'unacceptable'; but all of these attempts, to-date, had failed miserably--leaving the younger man even more hard-pressed, and heart-broken.

"Your father involved?" Gibbs asked, after taking a sip of coffee.

Tony looked up. "How did you-" he started to say.

"What'd he do?" Gibbs asked, looking at the younger man. He knew that usually when Tony got down and depressed it usually involved DiNozzo Sr.

Tony sat quietly for a few moments. Finally, he sucked in a deep breath and then let it back out.

"He called me last night." Tony said, somberly, as he stared down at his coffee cup. "He was...he was drunk."

Gibbs took another sip of coffee.

"He...said some things." Tony continued, tears forming in his eyes. "I-I don't know...maybe he's right."

Gibbs looked at Tony--shock present in his steely, blue eyes.

"You're actually agreeing with your father?" Gibbs said, surprised and somewhat disappointed.

"I-I don't know." Tony said, shaking his head. "I mean look at me...am I really a man?"

Gibbs set his own coffee cup down.

"I mean...look at me Gibbs--if I'm anything, it's broken." he said angrily, tears beginning to stain his cheek(s).

"That's not true." Gibbs said softly, edging closer to Tony.

"Your father is a selfish Jack-Ass," Gibbs said. "And you know it."

Tony looked up at Gibbs.

"He's just jealous," Gibbs continued. "Because you are a good person, and he's not."

"You think so?" Tony asked, wiping tears from his face with the back of his hand.

Gibbs smiled a warm, loving smile at the younger man.

"No. I know so." he replied softly, kissing the younger man on the forehead.

Tony sighed, as he set his coffee cup down as well.

"You look tired." Gibbs said, placing an arm around Tony's shoulder.


--------To Be Continued--------
Chapter End Notes:
Enjoy the story you guys!!!!