- Text Size +
I ended up going to the company where I worked. I talked to my boss and let him know what was up. He was shocked, that was a new one. I told him that I would keep doing searches for the security and the bounty hunter parts of the business but I would do them from home, if that was okay. I really didn't want to deal with everyone at work. There were going to be some people that were not going to accept this very well. He agreed. He said that he would fax or email over what I was going to need to search. He had been an okay boss, I figured he would understand because he was bi-sexual himself. This was a bit of a shock but it was a 50:50 chance that he would understand and accept this.

Truth be told, I had expected that response from Jet. He had had a wife and daughter and he'd lost them both. I didn't figure he would want another child and the chance that another little one was at risk of dying. I had seen it in cases, and in friends, where they had lost a child and they were scared to have another one, or just flat out refused to have one, because they thought they were replacing their dead child. Nothing, or no one, can replace someone that has died and I understood their feelings. I wasn't mad at Jet because this is a bit of the whole, a man being pregnant thing, and I think it would be hard on him to raise another child and being constantly reminded of Kelly.

I looked at my cell as it rang. I sighed, it was Jet and I didn't want to answer it because I knew that he would possibly respond badly to me being pregnant. I thought I had prepared myself for that, but it still hurt. I threw the cell softly onto the passenger seat. So, I drove to the one place I hadn't been in a long time. I drove up to Stillwater, hoping that I could stay with Jackson. I had stopped at a store and got myself some cheap clothes. T-shirts, boxers and socks, that sort of thing. I needed to go somewhere that Jet wouldn't guess I was. I drove until I got there. Jackson welcomed me with open arms. I was glad that he had internet, so I could still do my work. He smiled at me.

"Shawn, been awhile since you've been home. I enjoyed your emails but I am happy you came to visit." I smiled back, but the smile didn't reach my eyes.

"Thanks, Jackson. I just needed a break and a place to relax." He looked at me.

"So, I'm guessing when you're ready to tell me what's wrong, you're going to?" I nodded to him.

"Jackson, if Jet calls, don't let him know I'm here, right now, please?" He looked at me.

"Leroy told me that you two were together. I guess you had a fight or something?" I nodded again, not looking at him.

He smiled at me softly, and touched my back, guiding me in.

"Come on, son, let's get you set up in Leroy's old room." I followed him with my bags. I just put them down, with all my things still in them. I didn't need to take them out until I was going to use them. I set my back pack down, with my lap top in it. I put my badge and gun on the night stand. I wasn't going to need them here. I really didn't want to deal with the law here, even if I did have a permit to carry.

I laid down on the bed. I let myself relax gradually, eventually letting myself fall asleep. I had turned my cell off and put it next to the gun and badge before I had fallen asleep. I was still getting worn out from the pregnancy. I had planned on driving the four hours back to D.C. when Ducky had found me a doctor. I had emailed him and told him that I'd gone on a trip. I also told him that when he found a doctor, he could just set up the appointment and email me with a time and place. I woke up and there was a cover over me. That was Jackson for you, he had checked on me and probably covered me up. It was now night outside, looking at the bedside clock, I saw it was about seven at night. I stretched out and stood up to go downstairs.

I sat down at the table as Jackson served me some food. I took a deep breath.

"Jackson, you know those weird things in nature that sometimes happen?" He sat down and looked at me, smiling encouragingly.

"Even in this small town, we know about some of the weird things that happen in life, son." I leaned back and took a deep breath.

"Well, there's a rare condition for men, I have it and it isn't going to kill me. When I decided to tell Jet, well, he reacted badly and so I took off, giving him some time to think." He nodded at me.

"Son, I can tell that you're scared to tell me, even if it's not going to kill you. Spit it out, son. I am here for you and my son, no matter what."

I looked at him, my mind whirring like crazy, like you okay with us being together but are you going to be okay with this?

"Well, I am about two, two & half months pregnant with Jet's child." He froze and just sat there, looking at me.

"Well, I have been wanting to have a living grandchild. I think he may be more scared because of Kelly." I nodded as I leaned back.

"We may have a different form of serving and protecting but as a detective, I figured being gay was safer 'cause I wouldn't have kids, 'cause there's always that risk of being killed in the line of duty and leaving the child. Or, even worse, pissing someone off that will decide to go after your family."

I took a deep breath. Well, that was a better reaction than Jet's.

"Son, give him some time. I know Leroy, if you mean to him, the way he sounded on the phone when he told me you two were together, then I think he will warm to the idea. He has always loved children."

I started crying, rubbing my eyes.

"Freaking hormones!" He stroked my back and smiled.

"It's going to happen, Leroy's mother did the same thing, when pregnant with him." I laughed a little.

"Well, that's hard to believe for a man who doesn't like to show much emotion, ever since we were kids." Jackson just smiled and laughed as he handed me a glass of water. He sat down and we carried on eating dinner. Jackson had always been a good cook, whenever his wife was sick he would cook. I ate dinner here basically every night, it never seemed to bother them. I remember Jet's mother always saying that she had a second son, me.