- Text Size +
I found a letter on the bedside stand. Jet had to go to work to do some paperwork for the Director or something and that he would be home later tonight. I got dressed in jeans and a tank top, grabbed my gun, wallet and badge. I slid my shoes when I got to the front door, where I'd left them. I was going to go talk to Henderson, he was a good kid. He was about twenty five, he wasn't green under the collar but he still had a lot to learn and I didn't feel safe with him having Andrew Jackson's case. Someone had to set this kid straight, he hadn't worked a lot of dangerous bountys before and this surely was one. I made a call to make sure where he was, on the stake out for another bounty. I met up with him and got in the car with him. I leaned back as he gave me the low down on who we were watching.

I watched the club. "Henderson, on the Andrew Jackson case, you really need to be careful. This guy isn't right in the head, and he likes to use force and guns. I put him behind bars in Baltimore, he threatened to come after me when he got a chance. I need you to play it extra safe with this guy, wear a damn vest."

Henderson looked to me then back to the club. "What, you trying to tell me what to do?"

I looked to him and raised a brow some before looking back to the club. "No, I am looking out for one of my own. You were in the Army, right, Henderson?"

He nodded as we watched the goings on of the club. "Yeah. I was, what of it?"

I smirked to myself, he had hurt himself on duty and was retired four years after entering. "It's like your men, they have your back and I have your back. Don't get me wrong when I first became a detective, I was a cocky little bastard. I didn't listen to my senior partner when he told me something sometimes, and sometimes I was lucky but sometimes I got hurt and learned my lesson the hard way."

Henderson seemed to think on what I said, then he nodded. "So, I'll wear a vest and watch what he is doing. What else do you think I should do, Cahill?"

I looked at him. "From what the file told me, he a big bounty, take someone with you that's willing to take a quarter of the bounty. Hell, you do that and you'll still be making some good cash."

He nodded some. "What about you? I mean, you are a bounty hunter and a retired detective."

I laughed softly. "Henderson, if I could, believe me! I wouldn't mind you taking this bastard down, he's broken parole and missed his court date, he's going away for quite a while. But Jet would kill me. I need to take it easy for a while, I can't risk getting hurt, right now."

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Jet, who's that? I thought I knew all the bounty hunters that worked with us." He looked back to the club.

I watched the club, wondering how to put this 'cause I didn't care that people knew that I was gay. "Nah, Henderson, I'm gay and Jet is my partner." I watched his reaction.

He looked to me shocked. "Wait, you're gay? You're the most hard ass of the others. I don't know how to take that, I don't mind that you are gay, I myself am as straight as they get." I could see that he thought I would put the moves on him.

I went back to watching the club, I looked at a picture of the bounty. "Relax, I'm happy with who I am and I am not one of those kind that try to turn straight men bi or gay. I don't hit on men unless I know they swing my way."

He seemed to relax as he took a relieved breath. Then we both saw his bounty come out. I wasn't thinking. "Let's go get this guy and you can keep all the bounty."

We both got out. We approached the guy, he had a girl hooked on either arm. He saw the badge as Henderson said, "Danny Atkins, we are here to take you back. You missed your court date."

He slugged me in the face and I was a little taken back but then I grabbed his arm as he went for a weapon. I turned him around, his arm behind his back and slammed him against the car. Henderson was on him, checking for weapons. He put them aside and handed me some cuffs, so I cuffed him. I got a thanks from Henderson as I handed him over. I went to my car and drove to a diner that was close by. I slid my gun into the back of my pants, so it was covered by my shirt. I then slid my leather jacket on and headed in, I sat down and smiled to the waitress. I ordered some food and a sprite.

By the time I got home, the shiner on the right side of my face was apparent. I walked in to find Jet watching the news. I looked at the time, shit, it was 02200.

He saw my face and stood up. "What the hell happen to you? I need to call Ducky."

I set down on the couch. "He only took a punch to my face. I had him pinned to the car before he could do more. We got him cuffed and Henderson took him in to the jail."

He turned around to look at me. "Wait, you went and helped on a bounty?"

I shook my head. "No, I went to warn Henderson about who he was dealing with and I forgot about being pregnant, when the bounty came out, I went to help him take the guy down. When we told him who we were, he threw a punch to my face. I got a hold of his hand before he went too far and pinned him to the car and cuffed him."

I saw the look and knew what he was going to say, so I kept my mouth shut. "You forgot you were pregnant? Damn it, Shawn, you can't be so damn careless."

I turned to look him in the face. "It was a mistake and I am sorry for doing it." I stood up and headed to the kitchen. I found some ibuprofen and took one, knowing better than to take more than one, being pregnant.

Jet had followed me, he watched as I pulled my lap top and some files out of my back pack and set them on the table before sitting down. "Just be careful, please, Shawn."

I looked to him nodding. "I promise, Jet. And about the protection from Andrew Jackson you were talking about, who are you going to put on protection detail?"

He sat down and sipped his coffee. "DiNozzo"

I looked at him nodded. I knew better than to fight with him because he would just have DiNozzo tail me. "All right, tell him to be here in the morning before I go to work, we'll take one car."

He nodded, relieved. "I'll be working on the boat if you need me. I'll let you finish your work." I nodded and he kissed me softly before he headed down to the basement to work on the boat.