- Text Size +
Henderson had listened to my advice. He got someone to work alongside him. He had called me that day. I knew he was going to have a hard time catching Andrew Jackson, the man was smart. I slid out of bed as Tony was coming in the house. "Hey, Tony."

He smirked at me as he walked in, he patted my stomach. "What's up, Shawn?"

The boy had a sense of humor. It's why I liked him, sometimes he reminded me of a younger Jet. "I called my boss and told him last night. He wants me to work at home. We had discussed me working at home, in the first place, anyway."

I headed to the kitchen and Tony walked with me. "Well. I am on protection detail until they catch the guy."

I nodded as I started to make some breakfast. "I don't think I need to ask if you're hungry, right, Tony?" I had heard enough from Jet that the boy had a bottomless stomach.

He nodded. "Yeah, Boss wanted me here at 0600 before he headed to work. I forgot to eat." He sat down and leaned back as he watched me cook.

We sat there talking about our work together in Baltimore as we ate. He had some movies with him and he had brought a DVD player to set up to Jet's TV. The TC was an older version but he had with him the right cords to hook it up. He obviously knew Jet's TV from previous encounters! I had to laugh when he got bored three hours later. He got out his lap top and helped me do some searches. The boy really needed to learn how to type.

I slide an ultrasound picture at him. He laughed, "Looks like a little bean!"

I smirked to him as I typed away at what I was doing. "Yeah, that's what I have named it until we know what sex it is, so we can name it. I mean, I don't like saying the It."

Tony leaned back, looking at me. "You know, you would do well in NCIS. You could work with a team instead of doing bounty hunting. That's more dangerous 'cause most of the time you don't work with a team. You do the bountys by yourself, right?"

I looked at him. "Yeah, but remember there were times when you were a detective by yourself and had to work cases without a partner."

He shrugged and looked at me. "Yeah, but I was always able to call for back up when I needed it. I mean, the Boss doesn't send one of us alone to question someone or search a house, we always have a partner."

I nodded to him. "True, but DiNozzo, I am not sure I want to work with a lot of people I don't know. I can't be on your team 'cause me and Jet are in a relationship. I am not sure I can even get hired by NCIS 'cause we are together."

He shook his head as he handed me the ultrasound back. "No, it's not that strict. You just can't work cases or be on the same team as the one your dating or married to. I mean, your knee is back almost a 100% again and you could pass the test for field duty. I mean, after you have the baby and all."

I nodded slightly as I continued to work. "Tony, I'll think on it but I need to get these searches done, so I can take them to the boss, so he will have them."

He nodded as he started to help me again. We had always made good partners. I knew there was more to the reason he asked me to join NCIS. I would ask him later. I wasn't sure what his reasons were but, knowing Tony, they were good reasons. Tony was a good detective, he messed around, but I knew he was always one to get his work done.

When I finished setting out lunch, I looked at him. "Tony, there's more reasons why your asking me to join NCIS. Spit it out, man."

Tony looked to me and he nodded. "The Director wants me to lead my own team. Gibbs would have Tim and Ziva on his team but the crimes are picking up and she wants me to lead my own team. I need someone I know that can watch my back while I train the probie I'll get."

I looked to him, I had a feeling that was the reason. "Kid, I am honored and I will think about it. But I have six more months until the baby is here and then I need to be with him for two to three months before I can think about setting the little bean up in daycare."

Tony shrugged. "I can wait, but its up to you, Shawn. You want to do this, that's good with me. I could use the back up you have always given me, when we were partners, and we have worked together. It would be good to have someone on my team that I know. But I have not accepted the offer yet. I have about three months to say okay. I am still not fully sure that I want to leave Gibbs' team." I knew he would have to think on it because he respected Gibbs. He was like a father figure to him. "Well, let me know if you accept and I'll let you know then if I have decided yet." I looked at him. "Does Jet know you got this offer?"

He nodded. "I told him about it and he told me that if I was ready, I would accept it."

I agreed there. Tony would know what was right for him and Jet would let him go, knowing that Tony made his own choice and knew what he was doing. We finished lunch and headed to my office to deliver the file of searches we had made.