- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team go undercover at a Marine remembrance day as a threat has emerged. What happens no one expected.
Kate stood in front of the main tent waiting for Gibbs to emerge. She hadn’t seen him all morning. She had been at home getting ready and had only just arrived.
“ Your late” he said as he came out to meet her.
“ Well if I had help with this uniform I would have been on time” she said back. He gave her a little smile knowing what she meant by that.
She looked at him. He to was in his old uniform, hair combed and sleeked back to one side. He looked perfect.
“ You look good” she said. He smiled at her before inspecting her. He walked around her, smoothing her top out, straightening her tie and skirt.
“ You don’t look to bad either” he said quietly, for her ears only. A smile spread across her face at his comment.
They were joined by Tony who was in his marching band uniform with a drum strapped to his chest. Kate couldn’t help herself as she let out a laugh.
“ Tony you look like a little school boy in that outfit” she said trying to contain her laughter.
“ Ha ha Kate” he said back to her.
“ DiNozzo” Gibbs said snapping them both out of their little game.
“ Right boss. McGee is over by the second entrance, Kate’s friend is opening the house and is setting up a guest book for everyone who goes in and out of that house. There are still families turning up and setting up their tents around the fire drums” Tony informed both of them.
“ Good. Tony go join your band buddies and keep your eyes opened” Gibbs told him.
“ Right boss” and Tony left. Gibbs turned to Kate.
“ I want you to keep an eye out on everyone. Check the fence, if he wants in he will get in. If you see anything that is suspicious let me know.” He told her. Kate nodded. She gave him a small smile to hide her true feelings. She started to walk away when Gibbs stopped her again.
“ Be safe” he whispered in her ear then gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
“ Always” she said back to him before leaving to check on things. She made her way around the camp site and over to the house that was for sale just down from the church.
“ Hey Cassie, how is everything here?” she asked her real estate friend.
“ Yeah, good. Only a couple of people have come in so far. It seems to be all couples no single, but I’ll let you know if that changes” Cassie said with a smile.
“ Thanks” Kate said with a smile. Cassie thought this was a good time to do some prying.
“ So, you and Gibbs?” she asked with a grin. Kate looked at her.
“ What?” she asked her friend.
“ Oh come on Kate, I’m your friend you can tell me” Cassie pleaded.
“ There is nothing going on between us” Kate said turning her attention back to the grounds where she saw a sea of tents and happy kids running around.
“ I see the way you look at each other. There may not be something now but there will be. Trust me” Cassie said. Kate turned to look at her but didn’t say anything. She was right. She wanted Gibbs more then ever but he could never know that. It just wouldn’t work, they both knew that.
Her thoughts were interrupted by the starting of the marching band. Kate looked in the direction of them as the made their way around the site, many of the marines marching as well to kick start to celebrations.
Kate couldn’t contain her laughter as she saw Tony concentrating on his task.
When they had passed she was on her way to check on the church.

Gibbs had just finished talking to a younger marine who was having troubles whether to stay enlisted or not. He looked at his watch.
“ Where is she?” he said aloud to himself. He saw Ducky heading for the tent.
“ Hey Duck, have you seen Kate?” he asked.
“ No, I haven’t. Not since early this morning. Why?” he asked.
“ She hasn’t reported back and its been nearly 4 hours” Gibbs told him.
“ Now that is odd” Ducky said.
“ Have you spoken to her real estate friend?” Ducky asked. Gibbs shook his head and took off in her direction.
“ Cassie have you seen Kate” Gibbs asked straight away.
“ Hello Agent Gibbs. I saw her earlier before. She went to check on the church and that was the last time I saw her” Cassie informed him.
“ Thank you” he said as he went to head off to the church.
“ Gibbs” Cassie called back. He stopped and looked at her.
“ Kate is my best friend. Take care of her, she deserves it” she told him. Gibbs didn’t need to think about what she meant. The only confusing things was how the hell did she know how he felt about Kate. He didn’t have time to ask.
He entered the church which was completely empty.
‘ Where is she?’ he thought to himself.

Kate opened her eyes finally. She tried to move but her hands were tied with rope. She looked up and saw a face looking down at her. It was him. The one they were chasing.
“ Ah Caitlin, so nice to see your beautiful eyes again” he said in a soothing tone.
“ Go to hell” Kate replied almost spitting at him.
“ Now don’t be like that. Do you know why I have brought you here?” he asked.
“ To kill me” Kate guessed. She heard him chuckled then he started to circle her.
“ No, well not yet anyway. I brought you hear to cause your boss pain. I want to see him suffer” He said with a sly grin on his face.
“ Why?” she asked, her voice breaking.
“ Because he reminds me a lot of my father” he said as he knelt down in front of her.
“ So you kill every man who reminds you of your father?” she asked him. Another smile crossed his face as he got up and turned his back to her. This was her chance to try and break free.
The ropes on her hands where loose enough for her to undo. She quietly grabbed the her knife that she had hidden under her skirt. She cut her legs free and got up and held the knife to his throat.
“ I bet you weren’t expecting that” she said into his ear.
“ True, but you cant kill me Caitlin” he snickered.
“ What makes you so sure” she said as she pushed the knife harder on to his skin. She could feel his heart beat increase. She was getting ahead of herself. She wasn’t fully focused on him.
Using his foot he ripped Kate’s leg out from underneath her, causing her to fall backwards dropping the knife. She was shocked at what had happened but she soon turned her focus back to the fallen knife. She got on her hands and knees to grab it but his hand com down to grab it first. She felt herself being lifted off the ground by her hair. She grabbed at his hand trying to make him let go.
“ That Caitlin, was not a smart move. Do you really want to die tonight?” he asked sarcastically.
“ Only if you want to kill me” she said stubbornly. He swiftly brought the knife up to her throat. She closed her eyes, praying for the strength to get through this.
“ I’m sure seeing your lifeless body will cause Jethro so much pain, not even he himself could handle it” he said happily.
With the hand on top of her head she elbowed him in the face. He didn’t let go, she did it again and he let go of her grabbing his bleeding nose. He still held the knife in his other hand.
“ Your so difficult Caitlin” he said. He then came at her with the knife. She fought him off best she could but he got her on the arm.
“ Damn it” she cried out, looking at the cut on her arm. This mad her pissed. She kneed him in the groin, then kicked him in the ribs, grabbed the knife and finally ended it all. She stepped back from Ari’s lifeless body. She was stunned that she actually did it.
She turned around and headed out the door. She had no idea where she was. She could only see the glimmer of light coming from up the hill. She ran all the way there and came to the entrance to the camping site. She stopped to catch her breath.
‘ How long was I gone?’ she wondered as it was now dark. She could hardly see, only using the light from the barrel fires and the moon to guide her way. She could hear laughter and conversations all around her. All she wanted to do was find Gibbs.
She stopped as her heard a familiar voice.
“ Ducky?” she called out.
“ Excuse me for one minute” she heard him say.
“ Caitlin?” he said as he walked into the dark.
“ Hey Duck. Have you seen Jethro?” she asked.
“ I have no idea. He was looking for you earlier. Where have you been dear?” he asked looking at her untidy hair and uniform.
“ Long story. I just really need to find Gibbs” she said, her voice pleading.
“ Try the tent” Ducky suggested.
“ Thanks Ducky” Kate said with a smile.
“ Anytime” he said returning her smile then going back to his conversation.
Kate continued walking towards the tent. She could hardly see as it seemed to get darker. She kept walking trying to look out for the tall figure who was her boss.
She was having no luck and her arm was now killing her.
‘ Should have gotten Ducky to look at it first’ she thought to herself as she held her hand over it. She continued walking when she caught a glimpse of a tall man walk past her. She stopped and turned around. He was in a marines uniform and had that un-mistakable hair cut.
“ Gibbs?” she said loud enough for him to him. He stopped and turned around.
He recognised the small figure. He moved swiftly over to her.
“ Kate, are you alright?” he asked, his hands on her shoulders. He needed to know it wasn’t a dream. She didn’t say anything. She just wrapped her arms around him in a hug.
“ I was so scared” she told him.
“ So was I. You were gone for 6 hours” he told her.
“ I’m sorry Gibbs” she said softly. He pulled away and looked down at her. Her hair was a mess and so was her uniform.
“ What happened?” he asked in a soothing tone.
“ He got me Gibbs” she said.
“ Who got you?” he asked confused.
“ Ari. He was holding me in some old shack” she told him softly.
“ Where is he? Are you alright?” he asked, anger rising as he realised he once again did not protect her.
“ I’m ok. Ari is dead” she told him. It felt like a giant weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He pulled her into another hug, glad she was still alive.
“ How? You dove have a weapon?” he asked at the realisation. Kate smiled.
“ Rule 9 Gibbs” she said a little light heartedly.
“ Where?” he asked still confused. There uniforms didn’t have any pockets. Kate grabbed his hand with hers and guided it up under her skirt, grazing her bare leg.
“ Kate” he breathed softly as he felt her soft skin of her thigh. Kate didn’t stopped until she reached a small pouch strapped to her upper thigh.
“ Your full of surprises” he whispered to her. Kate smiled and let go of his hand and returned it to his chest.
“ I think you need to get some rest” he told her as he let go of her again. Kate nodded.
“ I need something first” she said. She didn’t know how well he could see so she moved him over to the closest fire and put her arm in the light. He saw the dry blood that had run down her arm and the cut that had caused it.
“ Ari?” he asked. Kate nodded her head. He grabbed her good arm and lead her back to the tent. He sat her down and grabbed the first aid kit. He grabbed and alcohol wipe and started cleaning the dry blood from her arm.
“ You don’t have to do this?” she said, watching him as he gently cleaned her arm.
“ It’s the least I can do” he told her. They sat in silence, until Gibbs started cleaning her cut.
“ Tell me if it hurts” he ordered her. Using a new alcohol wipe he gently wiped dry and new blood from her wound. He could feel her wince every time he went over the open wound. He admired her courage as he knew how much the stuff stung.
“ Almost done” he said softly as he pulled out a bandage.
“ Thank you” Kate said as Gibbs gave her back her arm.
“ Your welcome” he said with a small smile. He put all the rubbish in a plastic bag and returned the first aid kit back to its rightful place.
“ You should get some rest” he instructed. She nodded her head. She didn’t want to be alone tonight but was to afraid to ask him to stay.
Gibbs studied her face.
“ Nothing” she replied, as she focused her attention to her bandaged arm. Gibbs moved so he was sitting next to her.
“ I understand you have been through a lot in the past few hours. If something is bothering you, you can tell me” he said softly. Kate was silent.
“ Stay with me?” she asked in a soft voice, he almost didn’t hear.
“ Kate?” he said, not sure if her heard her right.
“ I don’t want to be alone tonight” she said finally looking at him.
“ Ok” was all he said and he kicked off his shoes. He moved back towards the sleeping bag, took off his shirt so he was just in his pants. Kate followed him, leaving herself in her black singlet and skirt. She crawled back and got into the sleeping bag with Gibbs. She settled downed and rested her head on his chest and wrapped around his stomach. Gibbs put an arm protectively around her shoulder.
Kate closed her eyes, feeling safe in Gibbs’ arms. She could hear his heart beating and smiled to herself.
“ Don’t ever leave me” she said softly, not really intending on him hearing it.
Gibbs looked down at the beauty on his chest. He leaned down and kissed her head.
“ Never” he whispered softly for her ears only, before leaning back and falling asleep.