- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I sort of don't understand in Dead Air why Tony didn't report Tim's and Ziva's turning off the radio, to Gibbs. I have my own theories. I definitely think it warranted reporting. If it was just because Tony didn't want to get them in trouble or cause any problems, he was being far too kind. That still bothers me, so I wrote this story, not associated with my other story 'I've Got Your Six?' It is, however, associated with my story 'Grandpa Gibbs.' If the history you read sounds made up, it is.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony needed to talk to someone he could trust. He turned to someone a little unexpected.
FRIDAY

Jackson had not expected anymore visitors to the store tonight, so he was surprised when he heard the bell ring that was situated over the door. He looked up and smiled at his visitor who had definitely traveled a long distance and looked it.

"Wasn't expecting to see anyone this late at night." Jackson stated, looking at his watch.

"I hope I'm not too late." The visitor replied.

"You would never be too late, Tony, no matter what time you showed up." Jackson said. He welcomed his visitor with a hug and closed the door to the store behind him, locking it. "I wish you would have called."

"If you have other plans...."Tony said, he bent down to pick up the bag he sat on the floor before he and Jack hugged.

"George has been trying to get a group together to go to Vegas." Jack said shaking his head. "I just might not have been here. I would have invited you along, of course, if you'd have made it here before we left. We had thought it would happen this weekend, but then George called my yesterday and told me his sister died. He left this morning to go to Illinois."

Jackson studied Tony for a moment. "You hungry?"

Tony shook his head, despite the fact he had just realized he was indeed hungry. He rubbed his stomach remembering he had indeed not eaten anything since he had left D.C.

"I'm fine." Tony replied.

Jack stood and watched him. "Really?" He replied. "Your stomach seems to be telling a different story."

Tony rubbed his stomach again. "You can hear that."

Jackson nodded. He lead Tony to the back of the store and pulled out a chair at the table. He put the coffee pot on after filling it with water and fresh grounds. He then turned to his visitor.

"How does breakfast for dinner sound?" Jackson asked.

Tony nodded taking the seat offered. "Sounds good, Jack. But I don't mean to be any trouble." He sat his bag down on the floor beside his chair.

"I like to cook, Tony. I really loved cooking breakfast for Millie in the morning. I was a cook in the army actually." Jackson said.

In not time Tony had a plate of flapjacks, scrambled eggs and sausage in front of him. The food smelled wonderful and he dug in with relish. Jackson poured himself a cup of coffee and sat with Tony as he ate.

"I figured you would have been in the Marines, considering." Tony stated.

"Yeah." Jackson nodded. "Leroy met with a Marine recruiter on a trip to Philly his senior year. He talking about it for a while then he quit." Jack stated. "I thought it had just been a phase. I...I had wanted him to go off to college and learn something. I didn't know for sure what he would have been good at, but...."

Tony nodded. "Sounds really similar to the speech I got." Tony said as he swallowed. "I...Dad thought going to college would get the civil service and music phases out of me. He thought I would want to work in the world of big business when I found out how much a civil service worker makes." Tony took a swig of coffee and then sat the mug down. "I didn't go into civil service for the money. That was never even an issue for me." Tony paused. "It was huge for Dad though. The most important issue."

"So how did the physical education degree come about?" Jackson asked.

Tony hadn't remembered telling Jackson anything about college. But he figured Gibbs had. "Dad said I needed to have a degree path, a major before I could play sports or play in my band. That was the only way he would pay for college. I said fine. When he found out my major was physical education he withdrew his money. I was really into college sports and was good. I had to scramble to get scholarship money. I was surprised I got anything. But I explained that I would have no family support and explained why. I got the money, no problem. But then I got my leg broke in my junior year. That ended my college sports career which meant I'd lose my scholarship. I had to get a job when my leg healed. I had to pay for college and pay my hospital bill. Dad had refused to help me at all. He looked down on sports as an occupation. He said I wouldn't have broken my leg if I had not been involved in something he had not approved of anyway."

"Tony." Jackson stated. "The more I find out about your Dad, the less I like him."

Tony nodded, understanding completely. He had cleaned his plate and drank his coffee. "OK with you if I hit the rack?"

Jackson nodded and Tony picked up his bag and went upstairs. He made his way to the back bedroom. He managed to get only his shoes and shirt off before he fell, exhausted into bed.

Jackson sat at the table in his store, pondering the reason for Tony's visit. He could see trouble in the boy's eyes. Not that he, himself was in trouble, but that something was troubling him. Jackson sighed. He was very glad to see Tony. Jackson actually had not seen him since the unexpected visit after writing Tony that letter. Jackson was still, trying to organize his pictures into an album he could show Leroy and Tony.

Jackson made his way up the stairs. He checked in on Tony. He took the blanket from the foot of the bed and covered Tony up when he saw Tony had fallen asleep on top of the bedspread, bare-chested and only in his jeans. He was snoring softly. He couldn't resist the urge and he tousled Tony's hair a little. He could remember doing to same to Leroy when he was a young boy and he would go in and check on him at night. It brought back some great memories.

Jackson smiled. I couldn't have asked for a better grandson. He thought as he closed the door and crossed the hall to his own room.
Chapter End Notes:
I sort of don't understand in Dead Air why Tony didn't report Tim's and Ziva's turning off the radio, to Gibbs. I have my own theories. I definitely think it warranted reporting. If it was just because Tony didn't want to get them in trouble or cause any problems, he was being far too kind. That still bothers me, so I wrote this story, not associated with my other story 'I've Got Your Six?' It is, however, associated with my story 'Grandpa Gibbs.' If the history you read sounds made up, it is.