- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
my take on events in season 3.
Kill Ari-Tony entered the dimly lit lab where Abby sat at her desk, hair down and falling around her face. He heard her sniffle and placed the evidence box quietly on the bench and made his way over to Abby. He put a hand on her shoulder which made her jump. She looked up at him with tear stained eyes.
“ Tony” she said in a small voice and threw her arms around him in a tight hug.
“ She’ll be ok Abs” Tony said in a soothing voice. Abby pulled back to look at him.
“ How can you say that? Have you heard anything?”.
“ No” he told her with a sigh.
“ So she could be in surgery dying for all we know” Abby yelled at him.
“ Abby I’m worried to, but there is still a job that needs to be done” he said pointing to the box on the bench. Abby nodded and made her way to the box.
“ Right. So this is everything you found on the roof top?” Tony nodded.
“ We think we found Ari’s nest. These shell casings were found on the roof top on that building” Abby nodded her understanding.
“ How’s Gibbs?” she asked softly. Tony gave a small shrug.
“ Hard to tell. After he told me and McGee to search the place he hasn’t said a word. I think he feels guilty. You know with the whole protection detail and all” he explained.
“ Yeah but he didn’t get her shot” Abby had to stop as she felt more tears coming.
“ She’ll be ok. As soon as we know something we will let you know ok. Keep your chin up” Tony told her before walking out and leaving her with the evidence.
Gibbs still sat at his desk starring at his phone waiting for it to ring.
“ Agent Gibbs” he heard a familiar voice. He looked up to the new director, Jenny Shepard, standing at the end of the squad room with a brunette woman who looked foreign. Gibbs got up and met her.
“ Agent Gibbs, this is Mossad Officer Ziva David” Jenny said. Gibbs looked at the brunette who gave him a smile and stuck her hand out for him to shake. He took her hand and gave her a questioning look. Jenny caught this look and started to explain.
“ Ziva has been sent here to intervene a rouge officer’s plans”. It clicked to Gibbs.
“ Ari” he said. Ziva nodded her head.
“ The director of Mossad sent me here to stop him as he has betrayed our county as well as yours. How is your agent?” she asked. Gibbs was shocked that she had asked about Kate. How did she know?
“ Still in a critical condition” he said in a small voice. Ziva nodded.
“ I got to Ari as he was about to shoot her. I know I knocked it off course, just not sure how much” Gibbs couldn’t believe it. This woman saved Kate’s life.
“ Thank you” he said in almost a whisper. The now quiet squad room was filled by the sound of Gibbs’ phone ringing. He rushed over to his desk and answered it.
“ Gibbs” he said. He was quick as he listened intently as took in all the information he was being told.
“ Can I see her?” he asked. Tony’s head snapped up in Gibbs’ direction.
“ Ok. Thank you” Gibbs said as he hung up. He looked over at Tony.
“ Tell Abby, McGee and Ducky that she is awake” Gibbs told him as he pulled his jacket on and ran for the elevator.
Gibbs rushed into Kate’s room. There was machines and tubes everywhere. He walked over to the side of her bed and grabbed her hand. Kate turned her head and slowly opened her eyes to see the man she loved standing there. A weak smile spread across her features.
“ Hi” she said in a weak voice.
“ Hi yourself. You gave us all a scare” he told her softly.
“ Sorry” she said. Her eyes started to close.
“ I’ll go and let you get some rest, but be prepared for some visitors” he told her with a smile. Her eyes opened again.
“ Ok. I meant what I said” she told him. He looked confused and then he remembered the last few words she had said before she completely blacked out. A smile grew across his face.
“ I love you too. Now get some rest and we will talk later” he said leaving a soft kiss on her forehead.
Gibbs exited the elevator and walked past the squad room where he saw Tony at his desk and Ziva at Kate’s desk. He thought about kicking her out of it but this was more important. He burst into the director’s office slamming the door behind him. Jenny looked to see him standing in front of her desk.
“ How is Agent Todd?” Jenny asked.
“ Stable. Alive. Breathing” Gibbs told her.
“ I want Ari dead” he said angrily. Jenny took her glasses off and looked at him.
“ I can’t let you kill everyone who pisses you off” she told him. Gibbs saw red. She had no idea.
“ Pissed me off. Jen he put a bullet in our M.E’s assistants shoulder before he shot me, kidnapped Agent Todd and not only two days ago did he try to kill her. Yeah I think he pissed me off” he yelled at her.
“ Look, I understand but Officer David was sent here to accompany Ari back to Israel where he will face the Mossad” Jenny explained to him in a calm voice. Gibbs let out a sigh.
“ That’s not good enough” he exited the office slamming the door once again.
“ He hasn’t changed one bit” Jenny said to herself.
Ari seemed to be one step ahead of them and Gibbs was getting tired of it. He gave everyone the night off to visit Kate. Ziva knew why he was doing this and made sure she was there on time and ready.
Gibbs picked up a bunch of red and yellow roses for Kate then stopped off home. He ran down the stairs and stopped when he saw Ari sitting on the other side of his basement with his sniper rifle slung over his shoulder, a deadly grin on his face. Gibbs knew this would be the end of one of them, but at this moment he wasn’t quite sure who. Ari raised the riffle at Gibbs, his finger on the trigger. Gibbs heard a gunshot but didn’t feel any pain. He looked at Ari’s lifeless body on his basement floor. He looked to his left to the top of his stairs and saw Ziva crouched with her gun still aimed at where Ari was just seconds before. He noticed tears rolling down her face.
“ He was my half-brother” Ziva told him as she made her way down to Ari. Gibbs thought it best to leave her alone with her brother.
Gibbs entered Kate’s hospital room which was filled with people, including the new director.
“ Gibbs what took you so long? You left before me and you only just got here” Abby said. He shrugged.
“ Long line at the florist” he told them, but they all knew it was something else.
Mind Games- Paula Cassidy and Anthony DiNozzo stood at the plasma screen which showed the case file of one Kyle Boon. They start on the usual banter, just like he would have done with Kate except Tony never had the hots for her. McGee gets caught in the middle of it all and plays it safe.
“ Long enough to say no ma’am, Agent Cassidy” he corrects himself.
“ Good answer” Paula tells him. They are all interrupted by Gibbs’ presents and he isn’t happy at all about seeing Kyle Boons face on the plasma. Paula tells him of the call waiting in MTAC and he gets up from his desk.
“ Find her a desk” he orders.
“ Is that one” she starts to asked pointing to Kate’s empty desk.
“ Nah it’s taken” Gibbs answers quickly as he leaves the squad room. Paula stood in the middle of the squad room and turned to Tony and McGee.
“ A whole week TAD with Gibbs, I can smell the fun already” she said sarcastically.
“ Well it’s been a tough month” McGee told her. Tony added to McGee’s explanation for Gibbs’ bad mood.
“ Right now he pretty much hates everyone Paula, including himself” he told her getting back to work. He couldn’t help the pictures that entered his head. Of Kate lying on the ground, her blood everywhere and Gibbs’ hand trying to stop it.
They had found Paula in time. Boons lawyer killed and Boon was to face his death sentence. All four of them couldn’t be happier. The watched him being dragged out of the building. Gibbs sighed then made a move to head back to his desk. The others soon followed.
“ Do you want me to take you home?” Tony asked Paula sincerely, but he still couldn’t help the grin that was on his face.
“ Uh no Tony, I’ll be fine thanks” Paula said with a smirk as they headed back to the squad room.
“ Are you sure? You don’t look so good. If it helps I won’t even walk you to your door” he tried again. Paula stopped and looked at Tony. He was persistent, she had to give him that.
“ Fine, but only drop me off” she told him.
“ Whatever you say. Hey boss, Kate gets out tonight right?” Tony asked as he stopped by Gibbs’ desk.
“ Yep” he answered as he gathers up his things.
“ Ok, well I was thinking to throw her a party, you know ‘Glad you’re alive’ kind of thing” he said with a smile. All he got was a glare from Gibbs as he walked past Tony and headed for the elevator.
“ Ok maybe not” Tony said to himself and Paula laughed.
Gibbs entered Kate’s room to see her packing her things with one arm and the other was in a sling.
“ Hey what are you doing?” he said as he rushed over and grabbed the piece of clothing from her hand and paced it in her bag and continued with the rest of her things.
“ Well I wanted to get a head start. What took you so long anyway? You called an hour ago to say you were on your way” she asked with a questioning look.
“ Just took longer than expected. You ready?” he asked as he zipped up her bag.
“ Yeah, I just have to sign the papers” she told him. She walked out of the room and to the nurse’s station and signed the necessary papers. Kate led her to the car and helped her in, then threw her bag into the back.
“ Was today that bad?” she asked with a laugh as he hoped in the car and helped her with her seat belt. He let out a sigh.
“ I just want to take you home where I can take care of you” he told her. He gave her a quick kiss then started the car. Kate didn’t push the subject. She knew he was dealing the whole situation well, even though she was fine and would be back to work as soon as she was cleared. They soon pulled up out the front of Gibbs’ house. He helped her out of the car and opened the door for her. She walked in first, the house was pitched black. Gibbs stepped in and switched the lights on. She gave him a soft smile. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her in a hug, that wasn’t too tight to hurt her.
“ Forgive me” he whispered into her ear. He hated himself for what had happened to her. He also felt angry at everyone else for not stopping it, but mainly angry at himself and he wanted her to know how sorry he was that it happened to her. He wanted to tell her he was sorry for almost getting her killed, but those were the only words that would come out.
“ I don’t blame you” she replied softly as she hugged him tighter with her good arm. She was just glad it wasn’t him. She wouldn’t know what she would of done if it had been him. She felt him let out a sigh. She pulled back and saw all the hurt and hatred in his eyes. She had never seen that look in his eyes before.
“ None of this was your fault, so stop blaming yourself” she told him. She reached out and placed a gentle hand on his cheek then leaned in and kissed him gently.
Silver War- Tony couldn’t believe Ziva was here as a liaison officer and sitting at Kate’s desk. Who did she think she was?
“ Anyone have a key to this?” she asked looking leaning back in Kate’s chair to examine Kate’s desk.
“ That’s Kate’s desk” McGee stated, still dumbfounded to see her sitting there.
“ Ok but it I’m going to be a part of your team I would love to..” she started to say but McGee cut her off.
“ Whoa, whoa you’re a part of our team?” he asked totally confused.
“ Yes” she answers simply. Ziva decides to show them her orders which are signed by Director Shepard. It is now clear that what she is saying is true.
“ I would hold off on unpacking the waffle iron ‘til you talk to Gibbs” Tony advises her handing her back the orders.
“ When does he come in?” she asks.
“ Now”. Gibbs was not happy at hearing Ziva was now on his team. He wanted Kate back. She only had a few more weeks of physiotherapy and then she would be fit to work. Then again maybe it would be best that Kate be sent to another team, seeing as they were now romantically involved, well sort of.
Gibbs walked into the dimly lit squad room. He was stopped at Kate’s desk as the desk lamp turned on and Ziva was sitting behind it leaning on the desk.
“ I don’t think Kate would mind” she told him. He looked at her then went to his desk.
‘She wouldn’t mind because she doesn’t even know yet, but when she does’ he thought to himself.
“ I found this, but I have a feeling she would want it back” she said as she got up and handed him Kate’s sketch pad. He grabbed it off her and placed it on his desk.
“ See you in the morning” Ziva said then left for home. Gibbs watched her then turned his attention back to the sketch pad. He went through her drawings, each of her team mates. He stopped at the one she had drawn of him. He studied it closely. Bad thoughts started to fill his mind so he closed it and leaned back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling to try and get rid of them. When it didn’t help he sat up, grabbed the sketch pad and his jacket then left.
When he arrived home Kate was setting the table for diner. She had most of her mobility back in her arm as the muscles where healing nicely. She was still experiencing pain and stiffness during certain movements, but three more weeks of therapy will help that.
“ Hey” she greeted him with a smile. He threw his jacket to the floor and stood in front of her. He wrapped an arm around her and kissed her. He had to make sure she was still here and that it wasn’t just all a dream. When he pulled back he noticed she was a bit flushed.
“ That bad huh” she said a little breath less. He let her go and held up her sketch pad. She put the knife and fork she had in her hand on the table next to them and took the sketch pad from him.
“ I’ve been looking for this everywhere. Where did you find it?” she asked flipping through it.
“ It was in your desk” he stated.
“ Oh. My desk is always locked” she said looking at him confused. He just nodded.
“ So you went through my desk?” she asked slightly confused. He shook his head.
“ Not me. Ziva David” he told her. Now she was really confused.
“ Who? Wait she was the one who killed Ari right?” she asked still confused. Gibbs was not telling her anything. He just nodded his head again.
“ Gibbs what is going on? If I have been replaced you should tell me”. He let out a sigh.
“ Director Shepard has agreed to accept Ziva David as a liaison officer for Mossad. All of this was behind my back Kate. I can’t change it” he told her in a soft voice. There was no point in delivering bad news angry. He could see Kate’s face slowly break as she took in the news. Kate put the sketch pad down on the table, on top of the knife and fork.
“ Oh” she said in a small voice before turning and heading for the bedroom. She didn’t know how to take the news. Her position had been filled already before she even got to prove that she was fine to go back to work. Now she won’t be working with Gibbs, Tony or McGee. Gibbs sighed and ran a hand over his face then decided to go after her. He found her sitting on the edge of the bed rubbing her chest where she was shot. Gibbs went and sat down next to her.
“ How could they do that? I’m three weeks away from coming back and they just…” she couldn’t even finish her sentence because it hurt too much. She didn’t want to cry but she couldn’t help it. Gibbs didn’t know what to do.
“ Is that what happens now? You get shot and you lose your job” she says, her voice wavering.
“ You haven’t lost your job. Just been transferred to a new team” Gibbs told her.
“ I don’t want a new team, I want to stay on yours. I feel safe when I’m with you and the others. I want to be with you” she said as the tears feel down her face.
“ I want it to be just like before, when this didn’t happen” she pointed to her chest. Gibbs wrapped an arm around her and pulled her in close.
“ I know. At least you will be coming home to me now” he said trying to make her feel better. It worked as she gave a little chuckle.
“ And you won’t get mad at me if I screw up” she added with a laugh. She looked up at him now with a smile.
“ Thank you” she said.
“ For what?” he asked. He felt he didn’t do anything.
“ Making everything ok. It would be safer is we are separated at work. Isn’t that the reason you had your rule 12?”. Since getting shot and almost losing her life Gibbs threw rule 12 out the window. He couldn’t hide his feelings from her as she couldn’t.
“ Yes, it is. So you’re ok with this?” he asked softly. She nodded.
“ Yeah I guess I am” she told him then kissed him.
Under Covers-“ Welcome back Agent Todd” Director Shepard said closing Kate’s report and taking her glasses off to look at her.
“ Thank you director” Kate said with a smile. It had been a long 2 months and she couldn’t wait to start work again.
“ Now you do understand you have been re-assigned to Agent Balboa’s team” Jenny asked. Kate nodded.
“ I have no problem with that” she told her.
“ Good” Jenny said. Kate took that as her time to leave. She started for the door but was stopped by Jenny.
“ One last thing. Don’t let Jethro go. He is one hell of a man and any woman would be lucky to have him” Jenny told her. Kate was stunned. She stared at the director. How did she know he was a hell of man? She decided it best not to ask.
“ I won’t” she told her with a smile then continued out of her office. She walked past her old squad room which was empty. She thought it was strange but then remembered Jethro saying something about having a tough case. She stopped and went up to her desk. She ran a hand over it and thought of all the memories. She was taken out of her thoughts by a loud squeal.
“ KATE!” Abby said running towards her, arms outstretched. Kate smiled and turned to accept Abby’s bone crushing hug.
“ Gibbs didn’t tell me you were coming back today. Probably because he was too focused on Tony and Ziva going undercover” she said as she let go of Kate.
“ Undercover?” Kate asked a little confused.
“ Yeah. They are acting as a married couple who are actually dead” Abby told her.
“ Why are they being a dead couple?” Kate asked still confused.
“ Well they aren’t supposed to be dead. They are assassins and we think the target is a marine” Abby explained.
“ Oh. Well I guess it’s a good thing I’m not back on the team” she said with a little chuckle.
“ Hey we all want you back on team Gibbs, especially the team leader” Abby told her.
“ I know but it’s better that I’m not. With Jethro’s rule 12 and everything” Kate said. Abby’s face lit up.
“ So you guys are actually on?” she asked excitedly.
“ Yeah. Why do you think I’m staying with him” Kate said with a laugh.
“ I thought that was just until you were better. I’m so happy for you” Abby said with another tight hug.
“ Thanks Ab’s. I should really be going” Kate told her. Abby let her go.
“ Ok, but come down and visit whenever you can” Abby ordered her.
“ I will” she said with a smile then left.
Gibbs was getting tired of watching his agents. They weren’t acting like a married couple, they were acting like horny teenagers. He had to admit he was glad that Kate was not on his team otherwise it would be her in there with Tony.
It was frustrating that they weren’t getting anywhere. They had the orders but they still weren’t sure who the target was, not the mention the FBI had been watching them this whole time as well . Gibbs knew Tony and Ziva would get the job done, but right now it was taking longer than he expected.
Kate stepped out of the elevator and headed for the squad room. She could hear the all too familiar voices. She saw Tony sitting at his desk, looking worse for wear, Ziva sitting at her old desk, Abby at McGee’s desk and Gibbs at his own desk, not paying any attention to the others. Kate stood at the entrance of the squad room.
“ Geez Tony, I knew you liked it rough, but that” she said with a smile. All eyes turned to Kate.
“ Well you know me Kate, I like the weird ones” he retorted as he looked over at Ziva. Kate followed his gaze.
“ Kate Todd” Kate said walking over to her desk and holding out her hand with a smile.
“ Ziva David” Ziva replied taking Kate’s hand. They exchange smiles then Kate turned to face the others. Abby was smiling and so was McGee, who hadn’t seen her since the hospital.
“ You look good” McGee said. Everyone, including Gibbs, looked at him.
“ I mean from when I saw you at the hospital. How you feeling?” he asked changing the subject. Kate smiled.
“ I’m great thanks McGee” she said with a smile. Kate wen to Gibbs’ desk.
“ You ready?” she asked. He looked up at her with a smile.
“ Sure” he grabbed his jacket, shut his computer down and went around his desk and wrapped an arm around Kate’s waist and led her towards the elevator. Tony, Ziva and McGee looked on with opened mouths.
“ Abby, did you know they were” Tony started.
“ Yep” she says happily before heading back down to her lab to grab her things.

Frame-Up-Kate walked through the Gibbs team squad room after seeing Abby.
“ That Charles guy give me that creeps” she said out loud.
“ Oh I know, he’s a weird one” Tony replies as he leans back in his desk.
“ I don’t like him” McGee replies. Kate turns to Gibbs.
“ Why did you hire him?” she asks.
“ I didn’t. You can blame director Shepard” he said. She nodded. How could she be so stupid as to think Gibbs would actually hire a guy like that to help Abby.
“ I will” she said with a smile.
“ What are you doing here?” he finally asked her.
“ I had to drop some things off to Abby and I thought I would take a detour on the way back up” she said with a grin. He couldn’t help but return her smile. He wouldn’t admit it but he missed seeing that smile every minute of every day. Now he got to see it in the morning and when he came home, which was better than nothing.
“ Good” he said as he stood up and gave her quick kiss.
“ Now get back to work” he said.
“ Yes sir” she said with a salute and headed for the elevators. Gibbs wouldn’t help but smile. Now that she wasn’t on his team anymore she would do everything she wasn’t allowed to when she was.

Abby was blaming herself for starting this circus. If she hadn’t matched Tony’s teeth the bite mark on the leg he wouldn’t be in a jail cell right now, soon to be charged with murder if they didn’t work fast to find the real culprit. Kate walked into the almost empty squad room. Ziva and McGee were the only ones at their desks.
“ Have you found anything?” she asked. Ziva looked up.
“ Not a thing” she answered throwing her arms in the air for dramatic effect.
“ Do you know how big Tony’s list of enemies is?” McGee asked rhetorically.
“ I could guess” Kate replied with a small laugh.
“ Did you speak to that Navy Lieutenant. The one who was engaged?” Kate asked. McGee nodded, but Ziva answered.
“ She was enjoying her honeymoon when I found her” she said with a sly smile. Gibbs entered the squad room after visiting Tony.
“ How is he?” Kate asked.
“ Going mad. What are you doing here?” he asked her.
“ I was seeing how it was going since you won’t let me help” she stated. She knew by the look she received that that wasn’t the best thing to say right now, but she didn’t care.
“ We are doing fine, now go home” he told her. She let out a sigh. No matter how hard she pushed to help she knew he wouldn’t let her.
“ Fine, but the minute this is sorted out I am to be informed ok?” he told him. He just nodded, kissed her on the cheek and headed for Abby’s lab. Kate said her good byes to the others and left as well.
Kate waited anxiously at home. She kept checking her phone very five minutes to see if she had a missed call, but nothing. It was getting close to 2am and she was getting very tired. She eventually dozed off on the couch. She woke to the sound of her phone ringing and picked it up immediately.
“ Todd” she answered groggily.
“ Good morning sleepy head” she heard the all too familiar voice of Tony DiNozzo.
“ Tony. Are you alright? What happened?” she asked suddenly becoming more alert.
“ Long story short. Abby’s lab rat Chip, did it all” he said. Kate was stunned.
“ Is Abby alright? He didn’t hurt her did he?” she asked, concern clear in her voice.
“ Well, she was the one who tied him up in duct tape” he said with a little chuckle. Kate smiled.
“ You know I did want to help but Gibbs..” she started to explain why she hadn’t been there.
“ I know Ziva told me. He left about 10 minutes ago by the way” he told her.
“ Thanks and Tony”.
“ Yeah?”.
“ Please don’t make any more enemies. If this happens again, make it would make it easier on everyone” she said with a laugh. She could hear Tony chuckle.
“ I’ll try my best, but you know me” he said.
“ Yeah, yeah I do. Good night Tony” she said.
“ Night Kate”. As she hung up the phone she heard the door open and she got up to meet the person who walked through it.
“ Your still up” he stated. She nodded.
“ I couldn’t sleep knowing that Tony was being framed for murder” she told him.
“ Did he ring you?” he asked. She nodded again.
“ So now will you go to bed?” he asked.
“ Only if you come with me” she said with a smile.
“ How could I refuse you” he said as he kissed her and led her off to the bedroom.
Boxed In-Ziva and Tony are stuck in a shipping container and being a metal box they get no service on their mobiles. Tony gets the idea to tape Ziva’s necklace to the aerial of his phone. Ziva sits down and rolls up her pants and starts to pull off a band aid from her knee.
“ Carpet burn?” Tony asks looking at the all too familiar mark.
“ Yep. Kate’s is worse Ziva said standing up and handing Tony the band aid.
“ You invited Kate?” Tony exclaimed.
“ Along with Gibbs” she said with a nod. Tony couldn’t believe it. How could she not have invited him for diner.
“ Please tell me you played twister” he said, trying to find an explanation for her and Kate’s carpet burn.
“ What’s a twister?” Ziva asked with a quizzical look. Tony knew it. He had missed out on all the ‘hinky’ action.
Kate sat at Gibbs’ desk watching McGee clean Tony’s face as his “wound” prevents him from doing it himself.
“ You cut it on a wooden box” McGee said. Kate couldn’t help but laugh. Tony going on about getting grazed by a bullet. Had he forgotten that she nearly died from Ari’s bullet. Kate was pulled out of her thoughts as Abby came running into the squad room and hugged him tightly making him groan loudly in pain.
“ Who’s going to drive you home?” Abby asked.
“ I am. I’m cooking him diner tonight” came Ziva’s voice. Abby ran up to her and hugged her. Kate smiled. She knew Abby resented Ziva for taking her place on the team but after lasts nights diner, Abby had gotten over it pretty quickly.
“ What are you making him?” Kate asked.
“ Italian” Ziva answered.
“ Her cooking rocks, Tony. What was the name of the dish you cooked last night?” Abby asked turning towards Ziva. She was about to answer Abby when Gibbs strolled in, coffee in hand.
“ Cholent. Slow cooked beef with potatoes and beans. Wasn’t bad” he said with a smile as he came to stand over Kate, who leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. Tony on the other hand was met by smiling faces.
Ravenous- “ Dog tags in bear poo. That’s a first” Kate said.
“ I know and now Gibbs has to deal with hunters a well as finding the actual murderer” Abby told her. Kate had been home no more than 10 minutes and Abby had rung her to tell her the weird case they got today and the reason Gibbs may not be home.
“ Let me guess, he thinks one of the bear hunters did?” Kate suggested as she pulled her soup out of the microwave.
“ You know what he is like, everyone is a suspect until proven innocent. Oh I almost forgot. Ziva and Tony are competing against each other” Abby said excitedly. She loved being able to talk to Kate like this, of course she would prefer to do it in person, but at least she wasn’t away working.
“ What for?” she asked not surprised at all. Ziva was really like Tony. He pushed her and she pushed right back. She was exactly what he needed.
“ Well, basically to see who got the rangers numbers first” Abby said. Kate was confused.
“ Wait I thought you said the ranger was a woman? Is Ziva?” she asked. She heard Abby laugh.
“ There are two of them. A guy and a girl, who by the way is all natural” Abby said remembering what Tony had told her.
“ What do you mean by that?” Kate asked, confusion still evident in her voice.
“ She has legs that look like a bears ass and…what was it…oh yeah and it’s hard to tell where her hair starts and her armpit hair ends. Exactly Tony’s words” Abby repeated. Kate burst out into laughter.
“ And knowing Tony he made up some ridiculous reason for them not to go out. He is so predictable. If you ask me he is lucky to be alive” Kate said with a chuckle.
“ Ah Kate I got to go. I’ll speak to you later” Abby said quickly.
“ Ok. Bye Abs” and with that Abby was gone. Kate put her phone down and sighed. She loved living with Gibbs but she hated when he had to work on a case and she was left at home alone. She shrugged to herself and got up, locked all the doors and windows then headed off to bed.
Kate sat at her desk typing away when her partner, Chuck Westly, entered the squad room.
“ That’s a hell of a man you got there Kate” he said with a chuckle. Kate looked up at him confused.
“ Sorry?” she said. He sat down at his desk, an amused look on his face.
“ I just heard that Special Agent Gibbs shot the culprits in the ass” he said laughing. It was just too funny. Kate couldn’t help the smile that crossed her face.
“ Really” she said.
“ Yeah, I ran into Tony in the elevator” he said starting to type.
“ So they’re back?” she asked. He nodded. Kate jumped out of her chair and mad a run for the elevator. She exited and made her way to the bullpen where she saw McGee at his desk.
“ Tim, where’s Jethro?” she asked. McGee looked up at him.
“ Uh…I’m not sure. He could have gone to get coffee. You heard about the” McGee started. Kate nodded his head.
“ Yeah I heard. So he actually shot him”
“ Yep. Tony and I couldn’t believe it and we saw it” McGee said, an amused expression also gracing his face.
“ I can tell. I’ll see you later Tim” she said as she exited the bullpen. She waited for the elevator anxiously. As soon as the door opened she went to step in but stopped when she came close to running into the person coming out. She looked up to see Gibbs starring at her. He was still in his tan coloured jacket, light blue jeans and boots. He didn’t have time to even try and get out when Kate pushed him back in and hit a button. When the doors closed she reached out and pushed the emergency switch.
“ What” he started to say but she cut him off.
“ Did you really shoot him in the ass?” she asked, her hands on her hips. She was trying to be as serious as possible. He faulted for a second trying to find the right words.
“ It was the biggest target I had at the time” he said with a smirk. That was it, Kate couldn’t be serious anymore. A smile spread across her face and she stepped closer to him.
“ The ass, really?” she said, still not believing it. Gibbs just shrugged his shoulders. Kate now wrapped her arms around his middle, and he did the same.
“ I’m going to be known as ‘the girlfriend of the guy who shot a park ranger in the ass’” she said with a laugh. She looked up into his eyes and saw the humour in them. He normally didn’t like the title boyfriend and girlfriend, but in this situation he didn’t mind.
“ And I’m the one who has Kate Todd’s ass” he said in a low voice as his hands went down to grab her ass. She let out a tint squeal and went to push away from him but he pulled her closer than kissed her.
Bloodbath- “ He can get to me anywhere” Abby said sitting on her lab floor.
“ Not anywhere” Gibbs told her sitting down next to her. They all went back up the squad room and Gibbs called Kate.
“ Hey” her sweet voice greeted him.
“ Kate can you come and pick Abby up?” he said.
“ Sure. Why what’s wrong? Is she ok?” she quickly asked starting to panic.
“ She is ok. She just needs somewhere safe to stay” Gibbs told her.
“ I’ll be right there” she said and hung up. Gibbs pocketed his phone and went over to Abby who was sitting in his seat.
“ Kate is on her way to take you back to our place. You will be safe there” he told her in a low voice. Abby just nodded.
“ We’ll get him Ab’s, don’t worry” he said and kissed her forehead. His words and actions did make her feel better, even if she didn’t voice it.
Gibbs walked through the front door, locking it behind him. He was suddenly met by Kate who had a worried expression on her face.
“ Jet you got to go down there. I have tried talking to her but she is just…I don’t know” Kate said at a loss for words. He could tell she was concerned about her friend.
“ What happened?” he asked.
“ I don’t know. We had diner, she showered and I showed her your boat. She just seems really…un-Abby and its scaring me. You need to do something, I’ve tried talking to her but “ she said without taking a breath.
“ Her ex-boyfriend is after her. Nothing you say or do can make her feel better” he said then kissed her forehead before going down to the basement and coming face to face with a drunk and upset Abby.
‘I should of hide the bourbon’ he thinks to himself as he lets her ramble.
“ That is not my fault. It is not my fault” she repeats to herself. He smiles at her knowing that she is finally coming to her senses.
Gibbs retreats to his bedroom after making sure Abby is tucked in. He enters and sees Kate sitting up under the covers, that worried expression still on her face.
“ Is she ok?” she asks. Gibbs starts to get changed and hops into bed next to her.
“ She will be ok. Now get some sleep” he said as he pulled her down into the bed with him.
Abby strolled into Kate’s squad room.
“ Hi Kate” she said happily.
“ Abby what are you doing here. I thought you had court today” Kate said surprised to see her in front of her desk, still dressed in her court clothes.
“ I did. I just wanted to come and apologize for last night” she said with a smile.
“ What? Abby no, don’t apologize. It was a horrible time” Kate said.
“ Well I still want to apologize” she said with a shrug.
“ Ok, well apology accepted. So why didn’t you tell me about this one?” Kate asked. Abby groaned.
“ Because he was harmless, well I thought he was harmless. Can we not talk about it please” Abby said jumping up and down.
“ Ok, ok” Kate said quickly.
“ So when will you and Gibbs be taking your relationship to the next level?” Abby asked.
“ My partner, Kate Gibbs. I like the sound of that” Chuck said walking in. Kate went bright red, she could have killed Abby.
“ I don’t think he is ready for that yet” Kate started to say.
“ But you are?” Chuck said now standing next to Abby. Kate let out a sigh.
“ When did my love life become so interesting” Kate said sitting back in her chair.
“ When you started sleeping with Gibbs” Abby said with a smirk. Kate’s cheeks went red.
“ Oh Kate” Abby said. They were silent until Chuck spoke.
“ Just out of curiosity, if he did ask you, would you say yes?” he asked. Abby looked at him then back at Kate. Kate ran her hands through her hair. Why did she feel like she was being interrogated.
“ Well I wouldn’t say no” she finally answered. Abby squealed and jumped up and down.
“ Abby, he has to ask me first” Kate said, at her excitement.
“ That won’t take long” she said and left. Kate exchanged a look with Chuck. He shrugged his shoulders and went and sat back at his desk.
‘Abby please don’t do anything stupid’ she thought to herself.
Hiatus 1&2- Director Shepard was the first one at the hospital, followed by Abby. Kate sat at home watching late night TV waiting for Gibbs to call her like he promised. She didn’t like what he was doing, it was dangerous. He assured her that everything would be fine, just like every other time. She checked her phone again, nothing. She turned the TV off and decided to head to bed deciding her got caught up.
When Kate awoke to get ready for work the next morning Gibbs still wasn’t home and he still hadn’t called her. She was starting to get worried so she headed in early to cheek in on the team.
When she entered the squad room no one was there. She was confused as to why they wouldn’t be there. She decided to go see Ducky as he was always in autopsy. As predicted there was Ducky and Palmer.
“ Ducky do you know where Jethro is? He was supposed to call me last night” she said. Ducky face dropped as he realized no one had contacted Kate.
“ Oh dear. I would have thought someone would have called you” Ducky said taking his gloves off and making his way over to her.
“ Why? What’s happened?” she asked starting to get concerned. Ducky took in a breath.
“ There was an explosion on the ship last night. Jethro was taken to hospital” he said in a soft voice.
“ Oh god” Kate exclaimed. She could feel the tears already starting to sting her eyes.
“ He is doing ok as far as I know” Ducky told her with a reassuring hand on her arm. Kate just nodded and took a breath.
“ What hospital?” she asked.
“ Portsmith Naval, but I don’t think” he started but Kate was already out of the room and in the elevator.
Kate entered the hospital and asked for Gibbs’ room. When asked if she was family she answered, almost yelling.
“ Family? I’m his god damn girlfriend and co-worker. If you don’t let me see him, so help me god I will” she started but the nurse had already dealt with two crazies from NCIS so she wasn’t going to stop this one.
“ Right through there. Your other co-workers are with him now” she told Kate. Kate mouthed a quick thank you and ran towards his room. She stopped at the door. She saw Gibbs lying lifeless on the bed, bandaged up and tubes coming out of him. She stepped even closer and saw the burns on his face.
“ Oh god” she exclaimed.
“ Kate” Tony said as he came over to her. She looked up at him, she also saw the director behind him.
“ Why didn’t you call me? I was up all night waiting for him to call me like he promised” she said through her tears.
“ I had a job to do” he started to explain.
“ I thought you were my friend Tony” she said angrily.
“ I am, but I knew how you would react” he started again.
“ If he had died, would have I been told? Or would I have to wait for the funeral to find out” she said and walked past him to the side of his bed. Tony took one look back at the director and then left the room. Jenny made her way over to the bed.
“ Doctor is he in pain?” she asked. This got Kate’s attention and she turned to look at the doctor. He didn’t answer straight away.
“ Was this man a marine?” he asked.
“ Yes” Kate said quickly before Jenny could.
“ Wounded in Desert Storm?” he asked again.
“ He has a purple heart” Jenny said.
“ That’s it. I treated him in Kuwait” the doctor stated.
“ Jethro never told me he was wounded in Desert Storm” Kate stated softly, looking back down at him.
“ Me neither” Jenny added.
“ He was in a coma when we evacuated him to Frankfurt” he told them. This was the first time Kate had heard this. She knew he wasn’t one to talk about his past but she would of thought he would of mentioned something like this.
“ That was the expression he had in ’91. More anguish then pain” she heard the doctor say.
Kate sat in the chair by Gibbs’ bed waiting for him to wake up. She saw the doctor walk in after talking to the director.
“ I could organise a cot for you” he said with a small smile, seeing how tired Kate was no. Kate sat up straight.
“ No, I should get home” she said as she stood and grabbed her things. She walked over to his bed and put a gentle hand on his head, leaned over and kiss his good cheek.
“ Call me if anything changes” Kate said handing him her card. He took it with a nod of the head.
“ Will do” he said. She gave him a soft smile then headed home.
It was Ducky’s turn to finally visit his dear friend. He spoke to the doctor about his condition and of what he knew about Gibbs’ past. Out of the blue Jethro shot up, eyes wide and struggling to breath. Ducky helped the doctor relax him. The nurse came in and took the tube from his throat out.
“He calls me Ducky. Welcome back Jethro” he said in a happy tone. Jethro started to relax.
“ I don’t know him” Gibbs said as he turned to face Ducky. Ducky and the doctor knew that that wasn’t a good sign.
After discussing his memory loss with the doctor Ducky knew what he had to do. He thought it would be best coming from him.
“ Ducky” Kate answered.
“ Caitlin. I have some news” he said.
“ Jethro’s awake?” she asked quickly. She was still in bed but sat up quickly at the news.
“ Yes, but I’m afraid he is suffering some memory loss” Ducky told her. Kate was quiet.
“ Kate?” he asked.
“ I’m still here. How…how bad?” she stuttered.
“ He didn’t know who I was and he remembers the explosion, in Kuwait” Ducky told her in his most gentle tone. He heard Kate sigh.
“ That’s…that’s 15 years. He…will he gain his memory?” she said softly.
“ We can only hope. Kate” he started.
“ Duck I can’t be near him is he doesn’t remember me. It would…It would hurt too much” she said trying to hold back more tears.
“ I understand. I’ll be here if you need me” he said.
“ Thanks Ducky” she said and hung up. She hung her head.
‘It just keeps getting worse’ she thought. She took a deep breath and decided to shower and get ready for work. There was work to be done and it wasn’t going to stop for her.
Jenny invited Ducky into her office.
“ Did you know when Jethro was married he had a daughter?” Jenny asked him as he entered the room.
“ No that’s not possible. I know all three of Jethro’s ex-wives, they had no children” he plainly stated.
“ With his first wife Shannon, he did” Jenny told him. She turned the plasma on and two profiles showed up.
“ I don’t believe it” Ducky exclaimed sitting in the seat closest to him..
“ They were murdered while Jethro was fighting in Desert Storm. Shannon witnessed the murder of a Marine in Ocean Side” Jenny explained to him.
“ Shannon and Jethro’s 8 year old daughter Kelly, died in the crash” she finished. Ducky couldn’t believe what he was hearing.
“ That is so awful” he said shaking his head.
‘No wonder he never spoke about his past’ he thought to himself. Once Ducky was finished with the director he took a detour to Kate’s squad room.
“ Caitlin, can we have a chat?” he asked softly.
“ Uh?” Kate looked over at agent Balboa. He nodded his head. Kate got out from behind her desk and followed Ducky into the elevator and they went down to Autopsy. He pulled out a seat for her. He explained everything that Jenny had just told him. Her voice caught in her throat.
“ I…I” she stuttered.
“ I know” Ducky said gently. Kate stood from the chair.
“ I can’t handle this anymore” she cried and ran out of autopsy. She exited on Gibbs level and went straight for the wash rooms. She almost ran into Ziva who was coming out.
“ Kate, are ok?” Ziva asked. Kate shook her head.
“ Jethro almost dies, now he doesn’t remember and his wife and daughter were murdered, apart from that I’m fine” she spat and walked past her into the wash room. Ziva had been taking crap all day for not caring about Gibbs, but truth be told, she did care. And that was why she made it her job to make him remember.
She entered his darkened room, he was sleeping, well resting as she stood by his bed. She gently touched his arm, and as a reflex he grabbed hers. Gibbs looked up at her, not having a clue who she was.
“ Ziva” she introduced herself.
“ We work together?” he asked.
“ Yes. I’m a Mossad Officer attached to your team” she informs him.
“ It’s been a year” she tells him.
“ Do you always finish peoples sentences?” he asks.
“ Only when I’m in a hurry” she informed him on what was going to happen.
“ You remember 9/11?” she asked.
“ No my boss told me” he said getting up out of bed.
“ Director Shepard” she started.
“ No, no my boss. It doesn’t matter, what can I do?” he asks coming face to face with Ziva. She puts her hands on either side of his face.
“ Remember”.
“ I’ve been trying to since I woke up in this room” he yelled.
“ Well try harder” she yelled back. Gibbs stopped and starred at her.
“ Good, that’s a start” she said.
“ What is?” he asked confused.
“ The old Gibbs stare. You gave it to all of us McGee, Tony, me” she exclaimed.
“ What are you talking about?” he yelled again. Ziva grabbed his hand and made him hit her on the back of the head. He starred at her as the pictures of his memory started to float back. Ziva, now starting to cry.
“ Ari, Ari almost killed Kate” she told him. A memory of that flashed through his head. All memories of Kate appeared in his head, and so did his feelings.
“ And I…I killed Ari” she cried. He remembered that to.
“ Your brother” he said in a hoarse voice. She nodded.
“ You killed your brother….To save me” he stated. She nodded again. He pulled her in for a hug and held her while she cried.
Tony and McGee were calling everyone to tell them Gibbs had gained his memory back, and the first person Tony called was Kate he didn’t want to get on her bad side again, but also she was his girlfriend after all.
Kate arrived at the squad room but no one was there so she sat in Gibbs’ chair again and waited patiently. She saw the others walk down from MTAC and Gibbs follow the Director into her office. She asked them questions about him. She had a good feeling about seeing him again. Gibbs finally walked into the quiet squad room, but Kate had gone to the toilet, so he rummaged around his desk for his gun and badge. Tony got up and handed them to him.
“ You’ll do” he said walking up beside Tony. He handed Tony his badge and gun.
“ It’s your team now” he told him with a hand on his shoulder. Kate stood at the entrance to the squad room just as he said it. Her heart skipped a beat. Gibbs started making his round of farewells. He gave Abby a kiss on the cheek. She couldn’t speak. He spotted Kate behind her. He made his way over to her. She looked up into his eyes. She saw the love back in them.
“ Jet” she started to say, but stopped when he grabbed her hands and studied her hands. He looked back at her face and saw a single tear roll down her cheek. He wiped it away with his thumb, then pulled her in close for a hug. She wrapped her arms around him.
“ I remember how much I love you” he whispered in her ear. More tear started down her face.
“ Don’t ever change” he whispered as he pulled back, kissed her on the cheek and turned and headed for Ziva then Ducky. She watched him walk away, his arm slung over Ducky’s shoulders. The squad room was once again silent, except for the sobs of Kate and Abby. McGee walked over and consoled Abby, while Tony did the same for Kate.
3 hours later and Kate had finally agreed to go home. She had said she didn’t want to go and find him packing, she had wanted to stay at his desk and wake up from this horrible nightmare. When she stepped inside the dark house, she knew she was awake and that this was a nightmare. She made her way to the bedroom. Her emotions got the best of her when she looked at the open and empty draws. She sat down the bed. She looked over at the bedside table and saw the picture still there. It was of Gibbs and herself. Abby had taken it one day at the office. It was the only picture they had of each other as he wasn’t one for having his picture taken. She reached over and grabbed it. She ran a gentle finger over him. She curled up on the bed, holding the picture to her chest and quietly cried herself to sleep.
Chapter End Notes:
These stories have a lot added to them as Kate is not supposed to be in it.i hope you all like it.there is still plenty more to come.