- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Throughout season 6
LAST MAN STANDING-
Kate steps off the elevator towards the bullpen. She stands at the entrance looking at the desks that are now occupied by Gibbs' new team and not her friends and ex co-workers.

"Good morning Agent Gibbs" Michelle said from Ziva's desk.

"Morning" Kate replied softly. She gave Michelle her best smile.

"Kate, it's always a pleasure" Langer said from Tony's desk. He looked her up and down and Kate instantly felt uncomfortable.

"Well I was coming to check on Jethro" she told them.

"When are you going to dump the old man and go to dinner with me?" Langer asked. Kate tried so hard not to shudder.

"She didnt date Tony, why would she date you?" Michelle said before Kate could answer. Keating couldnt help but laugh, from behind McGee's desk.

"I couldnt agree more" Gibbs said suddenly entering the bullpen with a coffee in his hand.

"Morning sir" Keating said standing up from his desk.

"Morning sir Michelle followed.

"Morning sir" Langer said also, but without so much enthusiasm as the others. Kate just stood there. Gibbs stopped and turned to face her. He didnt say anything, he could read it in her eyes that she wanted to talk.

"Agent Lee, I want that Amun threat assessment on my desk when I get back" he said as he ushered Kate to a more private spot.

"What's wrong?" he asked. She gave a small sigh.

"When are we going to get them back?" she asked, Gibbs knew where this was going. They had spoken about this since the team had been split up.

"Kate, it's the director's decision" he started.

"But they were your team. They were my friends" Kate said.

"I know. You had lunch with Abby and McGee last week" he pointed out. Kate looked back to the bullpen where the new team where working.

"It's not the same. I miss Ziva and believe it or not, I miss Tony. They were our family Jet and he just tore us apart" she said, her emotions close to breaking point. Gibbs couldnt stand to see her like this. He pulled her into a hug and kissed her head.

"We will get them back. I dont know when, but we will" he told her softly. He pulled back and looked into her teary eyes.

"You going to be ok?" he asked her She gave a small nod and took a deep breath.

"Yeah. Four months is a long time" she said.

"I know. I'm just glad it's not you" he said as he kissed her forehead.

"So do I" she said.

"You better get going" he told her. With a quick kiss she turned to leave, but stopped.

"Call me when you hear something" she said and continued to the elevator. Gibbs let out a sigh. He didnt expect to hear anything for a long time. He went back to his desk and was met by keating.

"A call came in for you. I took the message si, Gibbs" he said happily.

"Yes, I can see right here in the message taken by box, Keating" Gibbs said puling the yellow paper off his computer screen.

"Uh he said it was" Keating started.

"Urgent" Gibbs finished as he picked up the phone.
***

Gibbs walked back into the bullpen after seeing Abby and being dealt his 12 day deadline to get the team back together.

"Agent Gibbs, I think I have something. I have a connection between our murder victim Petty Officer Vargo and former Petty Officer Brian Roberts. He and the victim served together" Keating informed Gibbs.

"Put it up" Gibbs said as he went to wait in front of the plasma. Keating didnt do anything.

"On the plasma, Keating" Gibbs instructed.

"That's Roberts on the left and our murder victim Vargo on the right. Roberts got out six months ago, but heres the kicker. Roberts was killed by a bomb blast in a bar in Moroco overnight" Keating said.

"Terrorist attack?" Michelle jumped in.

"Trying to get more now" Keating said as he started typing on his computer.

"Got a link from the raw feed off ZNN" Keatig said.

"Unlucky coincidence" Langer said joinging Michelle and Gibbs by plasma.

"Must be" Michelle commented as the footage started to play on the screen.

"Casualties?" Gibbs asked.

"Four killed including Roberts. Thirteen injured" Keating tells them. Then as they are watching the footage, a woman on a stretcher is in front of the camera.

"Oh my god" Langer says.

"Isnt that?" he asks. Gibbs freezes the footage on Ziva's face.

"Ziva" Michelle sayd in disbelief. Gibbs cant believe what he is seeing. He had hoped she was safe, and clearly she was not.

Gibbs grabbed his phone and tries calling Ziva's cell. He isnt getting through. He has everyone doing everything to get more information on the condition of Ziva as well as more information on Roberts and Vargo.

"You find her now" Gibbs sayd to Vargo as he leaves the bullpen.

"I'll do my best Gibbs" he says. He was told to call Kate when he had heard anything, but this was something he had to tell her in person.
*

He stepped off the elevator and saw Kate at Balboa's desk.

"Kate?" he said not wanting to disrupt what was going on. Kate quickly turned and saw his concerned face.

"Uh hi. I'll be with you in a second" she said and turned back to Balboa. Gibbs went and waited for her giving the team their privacy. Kate soon joined him.

"Hey, is everything ok?" she quickly asked. Gibbs couldnt look her in the eyes, he didnt want to see the hurt in them.

"I just saw footage from a bombing in Morocco. Ziva was one of the casualties" he told her. Kate couldnt speak at first.

"Is...Is she ok?" she asked softly. He finally looked at her. Her face showed shock and concern.

"I dont know. I have the team trying to locate her now" he told her. Kate ran a hand over her forehead, trying to keep her emotions intact.

"This wouldnt of happened if she was still here" she said. Gibbs grabbed her by the arms and stared into her eyes.

"Kate it did happen. I will find her and make sure she is safe. That is all we can do" he told her. She just nodded. He let her go and gave a sigh.

"Look, I will call you as soon as I hear anything ok" he told her. She nodded again. He gave her a quick kiss.

"Dont let this distract you" he told her.

"I'll try" she told him. He gave her another quick kiss then went for the elevator.
***

"Still working on it boss" the tech geek answered McGee.

"Boss?" came Gibbs' gruff voice. McGee turned and saw HIS boss standing there. He quickly got up from his chair.

"Boss" McGee says, not believing his eyes.

"I, am not actually their boss. They just call me that, because I'm a field agent, carry the hand gun. It's good to see you boss" he gave him a small smile.

"You heard from Ziva?" Gibbs asked straight to the point.

"Uh, yeah. Email every week, until three weeks ago. I thought maybe she went on vacation".

"No, try undercover, McGee".

"Undercover would make sense, her being Mossad and all".

"You know how to contact her?" Gibbs kept pressing.

"Cell phone?" McGee guessed.

"No longer connected". Gibbs' phone started ringing. He gets connected through t Ziva.

"Ziva?"

"Gibbs" Ziva answered.

"You alright?" heasked.

"You heard?" she said with a sigh.

"Yeah, raw feed out of ZNN. You might want to call them".

"Thanks for the tip".

"What can you tell me" Gibbs asked.

"Not much. I was undercover. Trying to win trust of a man showing an unhealthy interest in Chezhian terrorist group" she told him.

"Brian Roberts" Gibbs filled in the blanks. The line was silent.

"Perhaps you should te me what you know" Ziva finally said.

"Old navy friend of Roberts was found murdered this morning" they continued swapping information until Gibbs heard what he needed. Gibbs left McGee and called Kate.

"Jet, have you heard anything?" she answered immediately.

"I just got off the phone with her. She is fine" he told her.

"Good. So when is she coming home?" she asked.

"Kate...I don't have an answer and I don't know when I will" he said with a sigh.

"Sorry. Look, I have to go. Call me when you get them back" with that Kate hung up. Gibbs closed his phone and got back to work.
*

After his meeting with Director Vance he went to see Kate. She wasnt at her desk, only Balboa was there.

"Where's Kate?" he asked. Balboa looked up at him.

"She's out on assignment. Is something wrong?" Balboa asked. Gibbs nodded then headed for the elevator.Once inside he dialled Kate's number.

"Jethro I'm busy" she answered him.

"We need to talk as soon as you get back" he told her, hitting the button to go back to the bullpen.

"We are almost there. I'll meet you out the front" she told him.

"Ok" and he hung up, hitting the ground button as well. He got off at the ground floor and waited for Kate outside. He didnt wait long before he saw her walking up to him.

"What's wrong?" she asked him. He stopped pacing and stood as close as he could to her so no one could hear them.

"My new team, do you not like any of them?" he asked. Kate looked at him and gave a laugh.

"Of course I dont like them, they arent your team Jet" she said. Gibbs shook his head.

"As a profiler, do you get a weird vibe from any of them?" he asked. Kate sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"Agent Langer. He seems to be very observant and has no respect for procedure, or wedding vows for that matter" she told him. Gibbs' anger got the best of him.

"He still hitting on you?" he asked. Kate nodded.

"He doesnt stop. He's like a sleazier Tony" Kate wrapped her arms around herself. Gibbs shook his head and wrapped his arms around her.

"This will be over soon. Don't come down until he is gone ok" he told her. She nodded her head and hugged him back.

"Jethro, what's going on?" she finally asked.

"I cant tell you, but I promise to get Ziva and Tony back" he kissed the top of her head and pulled back.

"Now get back up there and I will see you at home" he quickly kissed her lips and lead her to the elevator.
*

Kate sat on the couch, the TV on for background noise, as she taped the paper with her pen.

"They never make it easy" she said to herself as she flipped over, her eyes running over more credit card transactions. She sighed, reached forward for her glass of wine and took a sip. She didnt look up when she heard the front door open and close, and the familiar shuffle of Gibbs' feet.

"I thought you were never coming home" she said as she put her glass down. Gibbs sat down in the single chair next to her and sighed. Kate looked up at him.

"Jethro, what's wrong?" she asked putting the paper and pen down. He gave a sigh.

"Langers dead" he said. Kate moved up the couch and reached out for his hand, which he took.

"How? What happened?" she asked. Gibbs sighed.

"He was the mole. He attacked Agent Lee and she shot him" he told her. She still looked confused but knew that's all he woud say. She got up and walked over to him. He pulled her down into his lap and wrapped his arms around her. He buried his head in her chest and she stroked his hair.

"We get Ziva and McGee back" he mumbled against her chest.

"And Tony?" she asked. He was silent for a moment.

"Still has time afloat" he sighed. She didnt say anything. There was nothing they could do. Kate kissed Gibbs' head.

"Are you ok?" she asked after a moment. He nodded, then lifted his head and kissed her. She went to pull away, but he grabbed her head and kept her there. He ran a hand up her leg and grabbed her ass. Kate finally pulled away.

"Jet, not tonight. I think you should get some sleep" she got off him and started packing up her paper work, took her wine glass into the kitchen and headed up to their bedroom. She heard Gibbs turning off the TV and lights before her entered the bedroom. She watched as he got changed and climbed into the bed next to her. He layed on his back and sighed. She rolled over and stared at his silhouette. She reached out and paced her hand on his chest. He placed his hand on top of hers.

"I love you" he said softly. Kate smiled.

"I love you too" she replied the closed her eyes and finally went to sleep.
*

Kate got in the elevator as soon as she got the call froomm Gibbs. She almost ran into a few people in her rush to get out of the elevator. She stopped when she saw Ziva greeting Ducky. Her heart rate increased and she walked as fast as she could to the bullpen.

"Ziva" she said, still not believing she was staning right there. Ziva turned around and smiled when she saw Kate.

"It's good to see you Kate" she smiled. Kate sighed and walked forward, wrapping Ziva in a big hug.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you again Ziva" Kate said with a laugh. She pulled back and looked at Ziva.

"I was almost at the stage of killing people until we got you back". They all laughed knowing if it had taken any longer, it would have been true.

AGENT AFLOAT-
Ziva sat at her desk, looking over the top of her cup of tea as she stared at Tony's still empty desk. McGee was tapping his cup as he did the same. The bullpen was too quiet.

"Nice morning" McGee said breaking the silence.

"Beautiful morning" Ziva agreed as she stopped staring at Tony's desk.

"How's your tea?" McGee asked as their previous conversation ended.

"Fine. And your coffee?" Ziva asked looking over at him.

"It's good. Good coffee" he replied taking a sip. They both looked at Tony's desk

"It's really quiet without Tony" Kate said, startling both Ziva and McGee.

"Yeah, no matter how annoying he was, I dont like the quiet" Ziva said with a smile.

"It's been a quiet week" McGee said. Kate gasped as she felt a hand touch her ass, but stopped anything else that may have come out of her mouth as she saw Gibbs enter the bullpen.

"Got a call from DiNozzo" he said coming to sit down at his desk.

"Tony" Ziva said happily.

"When?" McGee asked.

"Navy Lieutenant did a half gator off the USS Seahawk. Talk to his wife" he told them.

"Does she know?" Ziva asked.

"She will".

"Shouldnt the navy send a Chaplin?" Kate asked.

"Chaplin's dont investigate" he answered looking up at her. She smiled sweetly.

"Right. Well I should let you get back to work" she said. Gibbs nodded.

"That you should" Gibbs said with a smile. With a small wave she left them alone.
*

Kate was at her desk typing away when Gibbs came and stood at her desk. She slowly looked up at him.

"Is everything ok?" she asked slowly, thinking something had happpened to Tony.

"Ziva and I are leaving for the Seahawk" was all he told her. She stood up.

"Why? Is something wrong with Tony?"she quickly asked. He shook his head.

"He just needs a little help. I'll call you when we get back" he told her. She came around from behind her desk and hugged him.

"You have to bring him back" she told him. He kissed the top of her head.

"I will try" with another kiss he let her go and left.
*

Tony and Ziva make their way to first aid room where Gibbs is with Hanley.

"COB's launching in ten boss" Tony tells him.

"Grab your gear" Gibbs tells him.

"My gear?" Tony asked confused. Ziva couldnt help but smile.

"Yeah, your caller, your riding home".

"Home?".

"Home, DiNozzo" Gibbs was getting tired of it.

"Home Ziva" repeated.

"Home" he repeated then started running for his room.

"Make a hole" he said on his way.
*

Kate walks towards the dimly lit squad room and hears Tony's voice and smiles.

"So this nut job is running through the mess hall" Tony is telling Ziva and McGee.

"Are you sure you're not talking about yourself Tony?" Kate says as she joins them with a smile. Tony gives her a toothy grin.

"See, I knew someone missed me" he said. Kate was about to answer when Gibbs walked in and goes to his desk.

"Hey boss, talk to Vance?" Tony asks. Ziva, McGee and Kate all watch Gibbs closely.

"Yeah, yeah. He was uh" Gibbs was cut off by Abby running off the elevator.

"Tony. You're back" she said with arms wide open and crushed Tony in a tight hug.

"In the flesh" Tony says with a smile. Abby lets go of him.

"Like, for reals? Like toatl reals? Like pinkie promise permanent reals?" she asks holding out her pinkie finger. Tony takes her finger with his.

"Permanently reassigned to D.C Affect of immediately" he tells her. She hugs him again.

"Director just told me" Tony tells them. Kate walks forward.

"It's good to have you back Tony" she tells him.

"I cant believe I'm saying this, but I couldnt agree more" McGee added. Gibbs comes to stand next to Kate and shakes Tony's hand as Abby tells him about Sister Roseitta's score at bowling. Kate smiles and grabbs Gibbs' hand. He looked down at her and saw the smile on her face. His eyes lit up and leaned down and kissed her.
*

Kate collapsed on top of Gibbs with a smile. Gibbs ran a hand up and down her bare back. She kissed his neck and chest.

"Thank you" she said.

"For what?" he asked confused. She normally didnt tahnk him for an incredible orgasm.

"For getting Tony back" she said as she hugged him tighter. He couldnt believe she was bringing him up now.

"I had nothing to do with it. It was all the director" he told her.

"Thank you for putting him on the plane home with you" she said and kissed him. Gibbs smiled.

"New rule. While in the bedroom, do not bring up Tony, or anyone else" he told her. She smiled and kissed him quickly.

"Why?Are you jealous?" she teased. Gibbs laughed.

"Why would I be?" he asked. She smiled.

"If you havent forgotten, I have seen all of Tony. In fact we both have, and I have to say, I definitely chose the better man" she smiled as she started kissing her way down his chest. Gibbs closed his eyes as he felt Kate's lips on him.

"You're going to kill me" he said in a strained voice. A small chuckle could be heard under the covers.


HEARTLAND-
McGee and Tony bring evidence down to Abby.

"Food wrapper. What is that, cheese?" she screws up her face.

"Recovered from the alley way where the attack took place" McGee tells her looking at the bag.

"Along with his personal effects the corporal had on him. You might want to start with Lacomb, at least he's still alive" Tony says as Abby looks at a ring in and evidence bag.

"There's blood on this ring. It's bent" Abby states.

"It's from impact. Got a few punches in" McGee explains.

"Might get his DNA" Abby says. Tony takes the ring from Abby.

"Might give us more then that. Stillwater High School" Tony says with a grin on his face, showing McGee the ring.

"That supposed to mean something to us?" McGee asked.

"Stillwater Highs School" he said again. Abby just looked at him.

"In all the time you two spend starring at computer screens you never once peeked in the mans file, come on" Tony said. Still McGee and Abby had no idea what he was talking about.

"Who's file?" Abby asks.

"Stillwater is a small town in Pennsylvania, coal country. Primarily known for the mine, but only slightly well known as the birth place of one Leroy Jethro Gibb" he tells them. Abby smiles and looks at McGee.

"This guy is from Gibbs' home town" Tony said.
*

Kate and Chuck stepped off the elevator.

"Next tim I am driving" Kate said as they entered the bullpen.

"Oh come on, it was one lousy stop sign" Chuck complained as he threw his bag down behind his desk. Abby laughed from her seat on Kate's desk.

Kate looked over at her.

"Abby, what are you doing here?" she asked with a smile. Abby jumped up and hugged Kate.She hugged her back, not sure what was going on.

"Gibbs is going home" Abby said. Kate pulled back and looked at her confused.

"Is he ok?" she asked. Abby smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, he's fine. He's taking McGee and Ziva with him, which Tony is really bummed about" Abby explained. Kate just stared at her.

"Abby, why does he need McGee and Ziva to take him home?" Kate put her hands on her hips.It was then that Abby realised that Kate thought she was talking about their home her in D.C.

"Well our case has taken them to Stillwater, Pennsylvania. Gibbs' home town" Abby explained and realization crossed Kate's face. Kate didnt say anything. She looked like she wanted to punch something.

"You didnt know he was from Stillwater?" Abby guessed. Kate shook her head.

"He didnt call you, did he?" Abby guessed again. Once again Kate shook her head.

"Oh. I'm sure he was just too busy" Abby wanted to make her feel better. Kate sighed.

"We both know that's not the reason. Thank you for telling me Abby. Can you tell me when you hear from him?" Kate asked. Abby nodded and hugged her again.

"Yes of course". With that Abby left and Kate sat down at her desk and grabbed her phone and punched in his number.

"Kate, not now" he answered. She could hear Ziva and McGee in the background.

"And when were you going to tell me you were going to Pennsylvania?" she asked.

"When you needed to know" he replied.

"Ok, and when I came home to an empty house, what was I supposed to think?" she was trying so hard not to yell at him.

"Abby told you?" he asked.

"Yes Abby told me, because unlike you, she cares about me" with that she hung up and sighed.Chuck looked at her.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah fine. My husband has just gone to his home town" she said. Chuck nodded.

"He have family there?" he asked. Kate shook her head.

"No, his father died a few years ago" she sighed then started on her work.
*

"You dont call, you dont write. Were you gonna stop by and say hi?" the elder man said looking at Gibbs.

"Hi, Jack" Gibbs said. Ziva and McGee shared a look.

"Hi, Leroy" Jack replied.

"Ziva, McGee. Jackson Gibbs. My father" Gibbs said. McGee and Ziva looked from each other then to Jack and Gibbs. Neither could believe it.
*

"Gibbs has a father" McGee and Ziva both say to Abby and Tony.

"Tell me everything" Tony and Abby answer together.

"His name is Jackson. He's a good talker. He may have even winked at me" McGee tells them.

"Gibbs is very different around him" Ziva added.

"Different how? Different bad, different good?" Abby asked in a rush.

"Well he's like a teenager, well sort of" McGee answers with a smile.

"Ok I'm coming, I'm going. I'm leaving" Tony said quickly.

"Me too" Abby said and went after Tony. They dont get very far when McGee tells them they cant. After their talk with McGee and Ziva, Abby turned to Tony with a big smile.

"Wow, Gibbs has a father" she said.

"Yeah, who would of thought" Tony replied. Abby suddenly turned serious.

"We cant tell Kate" she told him. He looked at her.

"Why not? I thought out of all people she would want to know she has a father in law" he said. Abby shakes her head.

"He didnt tell her that they were going. He needs to tell her Tony. Please dont tell her" she pleaded with him. Tony sighed.

"Ok, my lips are sealed" he said then left her lab.
*

"Tony, I need you and Abby to bring up all the evidence you have" Gibbs told him.

"Why, I though you guys had enough" Tony started to say.

"They blew our car up DiNozzo" Gibbs said impatiently. Tony sat up in his chair.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, except all our evidence is gone. Pack a car and get your ass here" Gibbs ordered.

"Sure thing boss. Anything else?" he asked. He heard Gibbs sigh.

"Yeah. Bring Kate with you" he said.

"Do I tell her why?" Tony asked. Gibbs hung up.

"I take that as a no" he said as he put his phone down and went to get Abby first.
*

Tony pulls up outside of Jackson Gibbs' general store and gets out, followed by Abby. Kate remains in the back seat. Tony, Abby, McGee and Ziva all stand around the burnt out remains of their car.

"Where's Gibbs?" Tony asked.

"Inside waiting for you" Ziva answers turning around and seeing Kate still in the car.

"Is she ok?" she asks. Tony shrugs.

"Didnt say a word the whole trip" he answers then makes his way inside.He sees Jackson at the counter and cant help but stare. He then looks around the shop.

"Hi I'm" he starts as he shakes Jackson's hand.

"DiNozzo. Court order?" he asks. Tony holds up the piece of paper.

"Right here".

"And Kate?" he asks in a lowered voice. Jackson walks over to join the conversation.

"In the car. She hasnt said a word since we left D.C" Tony told him. Gibbs nodded then headed outside.

"Who's Kate? Another Agent?" Jackson asked as he watched Gibbs leave. Tony smiled.

"Yeah something like that"he replied.


Gibbs went outside and saw Abby,McGee and Ziva by the car. He turned to Tony's sedan and saw Kate in the back seat. He went and opened the door, startling her.

"What are you doing in the car?" he asked when she looked up at him.

"I didnt know what to say to you" she told him, grabbed her bag and hoped out of the car. Gibbs closed the door and turned to face her.

"I didnt want to tell you becasue" he started explaining until Kate kissed him.

"I know. I know why you never talk about your past. I just wished that you ahd told me you were coming here" she said and gave him a small smile. He tucked a hair behind her ear.

"Why did you want me here Jethro?" she asked. Just then Tony and Jackson walked out. Jackson looked at Kate and smiled.

"You must be Kate. It's no wonder Leroy gets any worked done surrounded by such beautiful woman" he said as he took her hand. Kate smiled and looked at Gibbs, then back at Jackson.

"Thank you" she said polietly. Jackson realised he hadnt introduced himself.

"I'm Jackson Gibbs" he smiled. Kate's face paled and she looked at Gibbs.

"Jackson, this is Kate Gibbs. My wife" Gibbs told him. Gibbs could tell Kate wanted to yell at him. After all he did tell her that his father was dead.

"Uh, boss the Kingston's" Tony reminded him. Gibbs nodded.

"Tony, you take Ziva to the mine, I'll take the kingston's" he ordered.

"We only have one car" Tony poined out.

"I have a car" Jackson said with a smile. Gibbs just nodded and started to head around the back, Gibbs went to follow when Kate caught him arm.

"What do I do?" she asked.

"Stay here with McGee and Abby" he told her, kissed her cheek then continued following Jackson.

*

"Shot gun" McGee and Abby both said as they closed the boot.

"Called it first" they said in unison, then ran to the front seat where Ziva was already sitting.

"What?" she asked with a smile. Jackson, Gibbs, Kate and Tony walked out of the general store and were joined by Abby and McGee.

"It was so nice to meet you" Abby said as she hugged Jackson. Jackson smiled.

"She is a hugger" McGee told him.

"Fantastic" he said as Abby let go. He then shook McGee's hand.

"Hey, Jack I just have some things. I have alot of questions" Tony says getting a little excited.

"You have two DiNozzo" Gibbs tells him. Kate smiles as she takes Gibb's hand.

"Where do I start?" Tony says.

"You got one left" Gibbs tells him. Kate cant help but chuckle.

"Well that doesnt count. Ok. The rules. Did he learn them from you? I mean did you teach him all the rules?" he asked as serious as possible.

"I'm sorry son, I didnt teach him much of anything" Jackson told him. Gibbs took the keys from Tony.

"He taught me how to drive" he said. Kate started doing the math in her head.

"Jet we dont have enough room for all of us" she pointed out.

"Take 'em" Jackson said handing Gibbs the keys to his car.

"Oh Jack, you dont need" Kate started.

"It's just clutering up the garage" He explained to her.

"You're a great man Jackson Gibbs" Tony said as he shook Jackson's hand then headed towards the car.

"Give us a call sometime" Jackson said.

"It's the least I could do" Gibbs said as he let go and stepped closer to Jackson.

"Goodbye son" Jackson said with a tight smie. Gibbs hugged him and whispered his goodbye. Gibbs stood back and Kate stepped forward.

"It was nice to meet you. Hopefully want be the last time" she said with a smile. Jackson smiled.

"You keep an eye on that one" he told her. She smiled and hugged him then Gibbs led her to the car.

*

They were stopped at the railway crossing and Gibbs looked across at the station as a memory of his first meeting with Shannon filled his mind.

"Jet, are you ok?" he heard Kate ask. He looked over at her and smiled. He took her hand and kissed it.

"Just fine" he replied and took off, heading for their home.

DAGGER-
Kate sat at her desk, tapping her pen on her desk nervously.

"Kate" Chuck said for the third time finally snapping her out of the daze she was in.

"Yes sorry" she said looking over at him.

"You ok?" he asked. She nodded.

"Yeah fine. Why?" she answers quickly.

"Because you have been tapping that pen for the past half hour" Chuck answered. Kate dropped the pen on her desk and ran her hands through her hair.

"I'm just so worried about Jethro. About all of them. I dont know why we are helping her when she is the one who killed Langer" Kate said.

"They have her daughte, Kate. You cant tell me you wouldnt do everything and anything to get your daughter back. God knows I would" Chuck said as he went back to typing.

"Of course, but shooting an incicent man. Wouldnt it have been smarter to go straigh to the director in the first place?" she said, er exhaustion showing.

"Why dont you go home, get some rest" Balboa said walking into the bullpen. Kate shook her head.

"I need to be here. I would go crazy at home" she told him.

"Well why dont you go see him. Put your mind at ease" Balboa offered. Once again Kate shook her head.

"He would kill me if he saw me down there. He doesnt want me anywhere near them at the moment" she explained.

"Call him then" Chuck said. Kate paused and picked up her phone.

"Gibbs" he answered.

"Are you ok?" she asked straight away. Gibbs sighed.

"Fine. Are you ok?" he asked as he stepped into the elevtor after talking to Ducky about the kidnapper.

"Fine. Just wanted to see that you were still alive" she tried to sound fine, but he knew she wasnt.

"Kate, she isnt going to kill me. She needs me" he told her.

"So let me help you. I can profile the kidnapper, I can tell if she is still lying to you" she wanted desperately to help them. Gibbs sighed again.

"Ducky just did it for me and you couldnt tell she was lying before" he said and felt terrible once he realised how hard it had sounded.

"I didnt want to be around her. Tony and Ziva had been sent away" she said, her voice so soft he had trouble hearing her.

"I know. Just do what you have to and I will see you later" he told her as the doors opened up.

"How later?" she asked.

"Kate, I have to go" and he hung up. Kate sighed and put the phone down.

"Is he ok?" Chuck asked. She nodded.

"Of course, he is still being his arrogant self" she said and sat back in her chair.

*

Kate sat up nervously waiting for Gibbs. They were finally going to catch the man behind it all. Gibbs had assured her that it would be fine. She went to the kitchen to make another tea when she heard the front door open.

"Jethro" she ran out and stopped when she saw him. His finger was bandaged and he had a small bandage near his right eye.

"What happened?" she asked as she ran over to him and inspected the rest of him.

"I got him" was all he said.

"Jethro, please, tell me" she pleaded with him. He started taking his jacket off and she helped him. He then went over and sat in the couch.

"He lied about his wife. He wanted Domino. He took Lee hostage on a bus" he held up his finger.

"Shattered the windscreen. I had to kill Lee to get him" he said as he looked at the ground. Kate came over and sat close to him, taking his injuired hand into hers.

"I'm sorry you had to do that Jet" she kissed the back of his hand.

"You saved alot of people" she told him.

"She saved alot of people" he corrected her. He wraped his arm around her shoulders and brought her in close and kissed her head.

"Can we go to bed?" he asked. She nodded and got up from the couch,bringing him up with her.

"I do wish you would take more care of yourself" she said once they were in bed and she was cuddled up against his side. He gave a small chuckle.

"I do try" he said and kissed the top of her head.

"Not hard enough".

SILENT NIGHT-
Kate entered the bullpen with a smile. It would soon be christmas and she couldnt wait to give Gibbs his present.
"Merry Christmas Kate" Chuck said as he handed her a wrapped box. She smiled.

"I thought we decided no presents this year" she sighed as she took it from him.

"Yeah, well I thought you might need this" he said with a smile. Kate looked at him then opened the present.

"Oh god" she gasped.

"What? You dont like it?" he asked.

"She told you? I told her not to tell anyone. If Jethro finds out" she started. Chuck shook his head.

"Dont worry, she only told me because I was bugging her about what to get you. And I promise I wont tell anyone" he said with a wink then went back t his desk. Kate smiled and put the box in her desk draw.

*

"Hey Kate"Abby said cheerfully as she joined the Christmas party.

"Abby" Kate said with a smile.

"I know, I know, but he didnt know what to get you and I thought we could start collecting stuff now" Abby started to ramble.

"Abby it's fine. Just no one else ok?". Abby nodded with a smile. Kate looked around the room.

"Where is Jethro?" she asked.

"They got a case, so probably down stairs. You should go see him" Abby smiled. Kate nodded her head.

"Here, take him some eggnog" Abby held out a paper cup full.

"Abby you know he doesnt drink it" Kate said with a laugh as she headed down stairs and saw Gibbs at his desk in the empty bullpen.

"Hey" she said as she approached his desk. He looked up and gave her a small smile.

"I thought you were going to meet me upstairs?" she asked and gave a sigh.

"I have a case to solve" he answered.

"So Abby tells me. Will you be home tomorrow?" she asked. He gave a shrugg.

"Depends" was all he said.

"On what? And dont say the case, because the case can wait 12 hours while you spend Christmas with your wife" she started getting angry. He stood up.

"Katie, go home. It's Christmas eve" he said and leaned forward to kiss her.

"I have no one to go home to" she stated. Just then McGee got off the elevator with a young woman and made his way to the elevator. Gibbs came out from behind his desk and wrapped his arms around Kate.

"Go home. Get some rest. I will see you tomorrow" he kisses her cheek then pushes her in the direction of the elevators.

"Boss, this is Melissa Fox, Ned Quin's daughter. Melissa this is Special Agent Gibb, he's in charge of the case" McGee said introducing the two.

*

"Has he mentioned his daughter?" Abby asked about Ned as she stood in the observation room with McGee.

"No" McGee tells her. Abby looks back at Ned.

"Do you think he would like to see her?" she asks McGee.

"I dont know, why are you asking?" he replies.

"Um,because Melissa is in the lobby and she wants to see him" she explains.

"How does she know we found him?" he asks a little surprised.

"Well, she might have figured it out when I called her and told her" she starts to fidget.

"Abby, what are you doing? You called her, Gibbs is, Gibbs is gunna kill you" McGee couldnt believe what she had done.

"No, he wont. Think about it Tim. This is the greatest fairy tale ever. She's a little girla and her dad leaves and then he lives on the streets and then he dies. And she is never going to see him again. she's never going to say all the things a daughter wants to say to her father. aand then she grows up and she has a child of her own and then wonder of all wonders, he comes back from the dead. and they get reunited, on Christmas" she tried to sell the story to McGee.

" Abby are you finished?" he asks getting impatient

"Please, please, please. Pretty please" she begs.

"Do it for me ok. Just tell him Melissa here. You'll understand when you see the sparkle in his eye" she tried again

"Alright" McGee finally caves and leaves to tell Ned about Melissa.

*

Gibbs pulled up into the drive way of Melissa's house, with Ned Quin in his passenger seat. Ned looked at the light up house, not knowing where Gibbs had brought him.

"Where are we?" Ned asked. Gibbs smiled.

"Melissa's house".

"No Gibbs, You dont know me. I ruin lives, I am poision" Ned told him.

"Give yourself some credit. You're not the same person that droped out of her life when she was three years old. You've changed" Gibbs told him.

"I dont need this. I dont" Ned started to get worked up.

"She does". Ned looks over at the house and see's Melissa and her soon in the window.

"There's too much time has passed" he shook his head. Gibbs turned to face Ned.

"If I had one wish for Christmas, it would be to hug my daughter. That can never be. You have that chance" Gibbs tells him. Ned looks at the house, then back at Gibbs. he finally opens the car door and gets out. He closes the door, then pauses. He taps the window. Gibbs rolls it down and Ned hands him a piece of paper.

"Thank you" Ned says before making his way to Melissa's front door. Gibbs unravels the piece of paper to see little pictures of each of his team. Each person who helped him reunite with his daughetr. Gibbs smiles and watches on as Ned heads inside. He then grabs his phone and dials his dads number.

"Hello" Jackson answers cheerfully.

"Merry Christmas dad" he answers.

"Merry Christmas son" Jackson says. They have a quick catch up and as soon as Gibbs hangs up his phone rings again.

"Gibbs" he answers, not bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Jet are you on your way home?" he heard Kate's voice and smiled.

"Yeah, I'll be home soon. Promise" he said with a smile as he started the engine.

"Ok, drive safe" she told him.

"Always" and with th, he closed his phone and backed out of the driveway.

*

He entered the dimly lit house. Kate had started the fire and had the hallway light on, but she wasnt to be seen. He started to take his jacket off when something caught his eye on the dinning room table. He stepped closer and picked it up. It was a dark purple baby jump suit. He stared at for a while, wondering why this would be here. Then it hit him.

"Kate?" he called out not taking his eyes off the jump suit. He heard her footsteps come down the hall.


"Hey sweetie, how was" she paused when she saw the jump suit in his hands. At first she was scared. He was looking at it like he wanted to throw it in the fire.

"Why do we have a baby's jump suit?" he questioned. She cleared her throat and took a few more steps towards him.

"Well, it was a Christmas gift from Chuck" she explained. Gibbs nodded again.

"Ok, so why would he think we need one of these?" he asked. Of course he knew why, but he wanted to hear it.

"Because we will be needing it in nine months" she said softly, looking at him, waiting for his reaction. He stood up straight and looked at Kate. Finally a smile broke out across his face.

"Are you sure?" he asked. She nodded as her smiles made it's way to her face.

"Yes. I uh, I found out two days ago. Abby and I thought it would make a good Christmas present" she explained. He gave a small chuckle.

"Abby and Chuck knew before me? Who else know's?" he asked. Kate let out a laugh.

"I didnt tell Chuck, Abby did and they are the only two" she told him. He put the purple jump suit down and walked over to her.

"We're having a baby" he stated. Kate nodded her head and wiped at her eyes, willing the tears not to fall.

"I love you" he said as he wrapped his arms around her. She held onto him tight as he kissed her cheek over and over again. He pulled back to look into her watery eyes.

"Thank you for my present" he told her with a smile. She laughed and kissed him.

"Well you played apart in it too" she said making him laugh. They stood there in each other's arms, taking in this special moment.

"I love you so much" he whispered into her ear.

LEGEND-

Kate was three months pregnant and bound to her desk. Balboa and Chuck were out chasing a lead she had found, while she sat in her chair going through her baby names book.
"Mia" she sad out loud, seeing how it sounded. "Mia Gibbs" she smiled.

"Is that all you have been doing all day?" Gibbs asked standing in front of her desk. She jumped a little, not noticing he was there. She put the book down and stood up behind her desk.
"Well, as a matter of fact, I just found the lead Balboa and Chuck are chasing right now" she said with a smile. He gave a small laugh and nod.
"So what are you doing up here?" she asked, hand on her hips.He sighed and she knew what was coming.
"Jet" she started.
"Kate, I cant control the cases I am handed. Shouldnt take that long. Two days, three tops" he tried to reassure her.
"Where?" she asked, her arms now crossed over her chest.
"Los Angeles. I'm taking McGee and we are meeting up NCIS OSP team" he exlained a little more. Kate nodded.
"When do you leave?" she asked, still not happy that he was leaving her alone
"Thirty minutes" was all he said. Kate nodded and they stood in silence. Kate finally walked around her desk and wrapped her arms around him.
"Be careful. I need you to come back. I cant raise this baby by myself" she mumbled into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.
"I promise. I'll call when I can" he told her softly. He didnt normally approve of public displays of affection at work, but being pregnant has made Kate more emotional and he has learned it's best to just go with it.
"I'll be here waiting" she pulled back and kissed his lips and he kissed her back.
"I'll be back soon" he said, kissed her cheek and walked away. She sighed and went back to her desk, picked up her book and continued reading.
"Holly Gibbs".
***

Kate decides to out for lunch, since Gibbs is on his way to LA. She is on her way back to car when she spots Ziva and a man sitting at a table. She walks over with a smile on her face.
"Ziva, hi" she says happily. Ziva and the dark haired man look up at Kate.
"Kate, what are you doing here?" Ziva asked standing up to hug Kate.
"Well since Jethro is in LA I thought I would get out and grab some lunch" Kate smiled politely as she looked from Ziva to the man.
"Oh, sorry, this is Michael, a friend from Israel" Ziva introduced. Kate held out her hand, which Michael took.
"Michael, this is Kate, who also works at NCIS" Ziva continued the introductions.
"Nice to meet you" Kate said as she took her hand back. Michael smiled and looked at Ziva.
"You work with Ziva?" he asked.
"Not exactly. I'm on a different team, but my husband" Kate started to explain her and Ziva's relationship.
"Is my boss" Ziva smiled nervously.
"Well I should get going. Nice to meet you Michael" she smiled again.
"Same here" he gave a small wave as Kate walked back to her car. Michael turned to Ziva.
"Is that" he satrted.
"Don't even ask" Ziva quickly said before he got his question out.
***
LA

Gibbs sits on a bench, looking out over the ocean next to Callen.
"You still building that boat in your basement?" Callen asks as he rejects a call from Macy.
"Yeah" Gibbs replies.
"The same one?" Callen asks.
"No, no. A different one" he says casually.
"Two boats, three wives" Callen says.
"Four wives"he holds up his hand to show him his wedding ring. Callens eyes go wide.
"I thought you said the last time, was the last time" Callen said with a soft laugh.
"Yeah well, this one's special" Gibbs said as he looked out at the ocean thinking of his pregnant wife.
"Red head?" Callen asked. Gibbs smiled.
"Nope, that's why she's special" Gibbs had to change the subject before he had to go into more detail about Kate.
"So how you been Callen?" he quickly asked.
***

DC

Tony was down with Abby, making her fun facial recognition on a mans face he pulled from the news report of the bombing Ziva had been involved in early in the year.
"So which case is this exactly?" Abby asked.
"My case. Special investigation. Top secret" Tony told her as he watched the faces wiz past.
"Uh, I'm not even going to ask" Abby pauses "does it have anything to do with Ziva?" she asks
"I thought you said you werent going to ask?" Tony pointed out. Just then Kate walked in with a bag.
"Abby, I need you to run this against the...oh hi Tony" she said looking up and seeing Tony. Tony turned around and smiled.
"Hey, Kate" he said with a smile. Kate moved closer and saw the picture on the computer. She looked at the two of them.
"What are you two doing?" she asks.
"Tony's top secret investigation" Abby grinned as she looked over at Tony. Kate nodded.
"Ok, so why do you have a picture of Ziva's friend?" she asked pointing to the monitor.
"Wait, what? You know him?" Tony asked. Kate nodded.
"I saw him with Ziva yesterday. His name's Michael" Kate explained watching Tony closely. The computer dinged and a photo popped up.
"Michael Aaron Rivken. Israeli citizen. Lives in Tel Aviv. Works for a bank and flew into DC two days ago" Abby said reading off the report. Tony turned back to look at Kate.
"What did Ziva tell you?" he asked. Kate shrugged her shoulders.
"She introduced him as her friend from Israel. If you really want to Tony, go ask Ziva yourself and stop snooping" she answered. Put the bag of evidence on the table.
"Call me when you have the results" she said to Abby then left.
"Those hormones arent helping that womna at all" Tony said with a smirk as he turned back to Abby, who punched him in the arm.
"Be nice" she told him.
***

LA
"This guy didnt want to be found" McGee said, Gibbs coming up behind him.
"Well Rivken found him McGee. Are you still tracing Rivken?" Gibbs asked, sounding rather pissed.
"Yeah boss we got him right here" McGee said pointing to the screen. They puled up both trackers and showed Gibbs.
"Let him know I'm coming" Gibbs said. He turned to McGee.
"You got something else?" he asked. McGee turned to Gibbs.
"No, that about covers it" McGee answered and Gibbs walked away. He was in a foul mood. One of hsi Agents had been holding out on him and his wife rang him last night in tears.

Gibbs had just entered his hotel room when his cell rang. He looked at the caller ID and sighed.
"Kate, what are you still doing up?" he asked as he sat down on the edge of his bed.
"Jet,I cant sleep. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up with McGee at my door step telling me you...you" her voice broke as she started to cry.
"Katie I'm fine. Please just try and get some sleep.I'll be home as soon as I can" he told her in a soothing face as he rubbed his tired eyes. He heard her sniffle and guessed she was nodding her head.
"I just miss you so much and I dont feel safe by myself" she told him. He hated this. He really did. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and tell her everything would be ok.
"Call DiNozzo, get him to stay over or go stay with Abby" he suggested.
"No I cant do that to them. I will read a book until I fall asleep. I just really needed to hear your voice" she sniffled again. Gibbs sighed and layed down on his bed.
"It's good to hear your voice to, now please look after yourself and get some rest" he pleaded with her.
"You're on the other side of the country and still bossing me around" she said with a soft laugh.A smile graced his features at the sound of her laugh.
"That's my job as husband and father.Now please do what I say" he still only says that word to her.No one else.
"Of course Jet. I love you" she said.
"Love you too. See you soon" and with that, Gibbs hung up and went to sleep.
***

DC
Kate was asleep on the couch, a baby book opened on her chest. Gibbs came through the front door quietly, locking it behind him. He saw the lounge room light on and peaked around the corner and smiled. He dropped his bag and went over to Kate's side. He picked up the book, marked the page and put it on the coffee table behind him. He then moved a strand of hair from her face. He was about to wake her up, but decided against it. Instead he gathered her up in his arms and walked to their bedroom.
"Jet" she mumbled once they entered the room. He placed her down softly on the bed.
"I'm home" he told her, kissed her head and pulled the blankets up over her.He stood up and went to leave when she stopped him.
"COme to bed" she said, her voice still thick with sleep.
"Let me shower and I will join you" he said and left. Kate just nodded and got comfortable.
Gibbs came back in after his shower and making sure everything was locked and turned off.He cuddled up to Kate's back, his arm draped over her waist, his hand on her stomach. He kissed her shoulder.
"I love you Katie" he whispered before settling down and closing his eyes.
"I love you Jethro" she mumbled a reply.

ALIYAH-
Kate comes to stand next to Tony as he looks through the door at Ziva.

"How are you feeling?" she asked softly. He didnt look away from Ziva.

"Better then she is" he said softly.

"Tony, you did what you had to do. Michael was her friend and..." Kate stopped herself before she could go any further. He turned slighty to her and nodded. Then Gibbs joined them.

"Tony?" he said in a soft voice.

"I'm ok. Got a fractured radius and a few bruises.I had no intell. I went to talk to Ziva. Question Ziva" he said almost in a trance.

"DiNozzo" Gibbs says in the same tone of voice.

"When I got there Rivken attacked me and I had no choice" Tony turned around to face Gibbs. Kate had entered through the doors and was with Ziva, leaving Gibbs and Tony alone.

"DiNozzo" Gibbs says again.

"It was justified" Tony says in a hushed tone.

"Go right it up. There's going to be alot of people wanting answers" Gibbs tells him. Gibbs walks past Tony and sees Ziva and Kate walking towards the door.

"Rivken is dead, Tony killed him Ziva says straight away.

"Ziva" Kate says softly. Gibbs looks at her.

"Kate, go home. You shouldnt be here" he looked at her pregnant belly. Kate rubbed her stomach and went to argue but thought better of it. She gave Ziva a quick hug and left.

"You saw it?" Gibbs asked.

"I saw enough" she says not backing down.

"Ziva you have to tell me everything" he tells her, still in the same hushed tone he was using with Tony.

"You'll have my IA report on your desk before lunch" she said then walked off. Gibbs stopped her before she reached the door.

"Hey, I'm sorry for your loss" he says, meaning every word. Ziva doesnt say anything and continues through the doors. Gibbs sighs and follows her out. He exits the hospital and sees Kate waiting by the car.

"I thought I told you to go home" he said walking over to her. She nods.

"Did you forget I'm five months pregnant and cant drive" she said sarcastically, her arms folded over her stomcah. He shook his head and gave her a quick kiss.

"I'll take you home. McGee and I have to search Ziva's apartment" he told her as he helped her into the car.

"You really dont think Tony would of killed him on purpose?" she asked before he closed her door. Gibbs paused, then shook his head.

"The Tony I know woudlnt" was his answer and he closed the door. Kate couldnt agree more.
*

"What? Are you ok?" Kate almost yelled into the phone as Gibbs told her about Ziva's apartment.

"I'm fine, calm down. The fire brigade has just been through and gave us the all clear to go through it" Gibbs explained.

"Who would do that to Ziva? Did they even know if she was in there or not?" Kate kept asking question.

"Katie stop. We will get to the bottom of this. Now go sit down and keep going through those baby name books" he ordered her.

"Ok, just call me when you're done. Do you think it's bad luck we dont have name picked out yet?" she asked softly. A smile played at Gibbs' lips.

"No it's not. But if you're worried about it, go and choose one. I will call you later" he hung up as he entered Ziva's burnt out apartment with McGee.
*

Gibbs and McGee were seated at their desks when Ziva walked in, grabbed her report and put it on Gibbs' desk.Gibbs stands up.

"Ziva" he says. Ziva stops as she put her bag on.

"I know what you're going to say Gibbs" she sayd. Gibbs grabs a spare chair and wheels it over to his desk.

"No I dont think you do" he says as beckons her to his desk. She walks over and stands in front of the chair as he sits down.

"I know you think I lied to you about Rivken, but I did not. You asked me if I knew him, you asked me if he worked for Mossad, not if I was seeing him, not" she went to go on but Gibbs stopped her.

"Sit down" he says. She reluctanlty obliges and takes a seat.

"Your apartment has been destroyed. Gas fire earlier this morning" he tells her softly. Ziva stares at him.

"Perhaps the line was damaged during the fight. I will talk to Tony" she replied.

"No thi was no accident. Gas lines were cut. Any idea" he started to ask but Ziva quickly cut him off.

"No".

"That was a quick answer".

"Simple question" she answered quickly again.

"Ziva, it's your home" he said even softer.

"No it's not" she said then got up and left.
*

Gibbs walked into his home in a hurry.

"Kate?" he called as he slammed the door and rann up the hall to their bedroom and started backing a bag of clothes. Kate was soon at the bedroom door.

"I think I found our baby's name. What are you doing?" she asked.

"Tony, Ziva, the director and myself are going to Tel Aviv" he tells her quickly as he packs some socks and does his bag up. Kate's face fell.

"What? You cant go. What if something happens? I cant be alone Jethro" she almost burst into tears right there. He went over to her quickly and wrapped his arms around her.

"It's fine. You'll be fine. You still have Abby and McGee" he kisses the top of her head as she burries her face int his neck.

"I'll be home before you know it. What name have you picked?" he asked as he pulled back and saw her teary eyes. She took a deep breath to keep them from falling.

"Mia Kelly. What do you think?" she asked with a smile. He smiled, kissed her cheek and put a hand on her stomach.

"I will be home before you know it Mia Kelly Gibb" he said, leaned down and kissed where his hand had just been.

"Jet" Kate started but Gibbs' lips cut her off.

"I'll be right back" he said then ran out of the house and sped off.
*

"Get on the plane DiNozzo" Gibbs says as they unload from the cars back at the airport.

"Alright, you got it boss. Take it easy" he said as he headed for the rear of the plane with has bag. Director Vance and Director David said their goodbyes beofore Vance got on the plane after Tony. Gibbs grabbed his bag from the back of the van and slung it over his shoudlerand made his way to the plane.

"Gibbs" Ziva said as she ran up to him. He stopped and turned around to face him.

"Plane leaves in five minutes Ziva" he tells her.

"Not without us it doesnt. I think it's best if I simply speak from the heart" she tells him.

"Well yeah it usually is" he agrees, not liking where this is going.

"It's Tony. I am still not convinced that he has been entirely truthfull about Michaels..Rivkens shooting" she says softly.

"He gave you his word".

"I am not sure we can work together. Perhaps it is best if one of us gets transfered to another team" she explains.

"Transfered?" he asks confused.

"I need to be able to trust the people that I work with. I know you more then anyone, understand that". Gibbs looks past Ziva to her father who is watching them. He nods slightly, then kisses her cheek.

"Take care of yourself" he says as he walks back to the plane. Before he steps onto the plane Ziva stops him.

"Gibbs. Give Kate my best" she called after him. He nodded then jumped onto the plane and took his seat opposite Vance and Tony.

"Boss? One short?" Tony asks.

"Good to go" Gibbs tells the flight crew. The ride home is quiet.
*

Gibbs walks in the darkened house. He quietly closes the door and makes his way to the bedroom where he sees Kate asleep on her side. He goes over to the bed and sits down next to her. He watches her sleep and smiles. He reaches over and lifts the covers up around her. She starts to stire.

"Jet?" she asks grogily. He leans in and kisses her cheek.

"I'm back sweetie" he says softly and a smiles forms on her face.

"Tony and Ziva?" she asks softly. Gibbs pauses and she notices. She opens her eyes and looks at him.

"Ziva is in Tel Aviv" he finally answered her.

"What?" Kate tried to sit up but Gibbs stopped her.

"Her decision. I'll explain later, right now you need to go back to sleep" he said as he tucked her in again.

"But" she tried to protest.

"Kate please, just sleep" he kissed her forehead and left her alone. He went down to the basement. He was cleaning up when Ducky entered.

"Jethro, forgive the intrusion" he started to greet Gibbs as he decended down the stairs.

"How did you possibly manage to" Ducky started when he noticed the boat was gone.

"Ah geeze Duck. You gonna ask me that everytime?" Gibbs said. Ducky continued down the stairs.

"How was your flight?" he asks.

"One short" was his simple answer. Ducky sighs as he continues over to Gibbs who empties a jar of nails and gets the bottle of bourbon.

"Yeah I know this descsion not have come easily" he said.

"Wasnt my descison" Gibbs said as he poured the bourbon.

"Tony said" Ducky started to ask confused.

"No. Ziva's. From the moment she asked me to choose".

"Ah, so this is not about loyalty, it's about an unreasonable demand" Ducky said as he came to stand next to Gibbs who had taken a seat at his work bench.

"She with held information".

"To protect Rivken. Someone she obviously cared about. Ziva has always remained an officer of Mossad. I certainly dont envy the position she just found herself in" Ducky continued whie Gibbs sipped his bourbon.

" I always felt there was a strong bond between you two. Something shared perhaps" Ducky said as she walkedpast Gibbs. He turned and looked up at the top of his stairs and remebered the night Ziva had shot Ari.

"No. She proved herself" he said softly.With a few words the conversation was over.

"Ducky?" they both heard the soft voice and looked up at the top of the stairs where Kate was standing.

"Sorry if I woke you" Ducky said sweetly. Kate shooked her head as she made her way down the stairs.

"I was already awake. What are you doing here so late?" she asked as she gave him a gently hug.

"Just checking up on Jethro" he smiled. She looked at Gibbs as he downed the last of his bourbon and got up from his seat. She nodded and smiled.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"Great. A little hormonal, but I think that will go away now Jethro is back" she smiled as she saw Gibbs come over to them.

"I told you to go back to sleep" he told her softly.

"And I had to check you werent talking to yourself" she said with a smile.

"Well I should get going. You shouldnt be up and about at this time" Ducky said giving Kate another quick hug and kiss on the cheek before heading up the stairs and out of the house.

"Back to bed" Gibbs ordered Kate.

"Why didnt you drag Ziva back here?" she asked. Gibbs sighed.

"It wasnt my place. She wanted to stay, she could stay" he told as he tried to stear her to the stairs. She obliged but took each step slowly.

"She was one of our godparents" Kate said. Gibbs stopped.

"Mia still has three, she wont know the difference" he argued as he pushed her up the stairs, but Kate stopped.

"What?" he asked when he saw her face.

"You remembered her name" she said happily. Gibbs sighed.

"Of course I remembered. Now can we get you to bed so she doesnt start kicking" he said. Kate nodded and finally agreed to go to bed.
Once finally in bed, Gibbs cuddle Kate from behind, his arm protectively around her stomach.

"I didnt even get to say goodbye" Kate said softly. Gibbs kissed her shoudler.

"She will be ok" he told her. How could he make Kate believe it when he didnt believe it himself?
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the delay, my program stopped working. So if there are any spelling and punctuation errors I'm sorry.