- Text Size +
AN: WARNING Gibbs actually says a lot and shows some emotion.


Four hours later....

Gibbs had made himself comfortable beside Tony’s bed. Team Gibbs’ members had all dropped by and stayed with Tony until the nurses had run them off. Gibbs had refused to leave and made his position known by planting himself in Tony’s chair and refusing to move. He was almost asleep when he heard Tony speak.

“Boss…upset?” Tony said, his throat felt a lot better, but it was still sore.

“What’s wrong? Who upset you?”

Tony shook his head. “You.”

“I upset you?”

Tony shook his head. “You…upset…me

“I’m upset with you?” Gibbs asked, wanting clarification.

Tony nodded. “Crime scene.”

Gibbs shook his head, unable to recall what Tony was talking about, then he realized…. “No, Tony, I wasn’t angry with you.” Gibbs paused. “The movies, is that what this is about? You always talk about movies.”

Tony shook his head. “After….”

“After you were shot...” Gibbs sat down again, and in a very uncharacteristic fashion, started talking. “Yes, I was upset. But not with you." Gibbs sighed.

Gibbs had never told Tony how much he loved him. How he thought of him as his son. He didn’t think after Kelly died he could ‘Father' anyone again. It would hurt too much. But things came easy between him and Tony. They had a very good working relationship. Gibbs genuinely liked Tony as a person and as an investigator. Tony was a direct, easy going person and he was one hell of an investigator. “

“After Kelly and Shannon died, it took me a long time to get close to people again, to let them in, but then I met you. You are the only person who stands up to me and lets me know when I am about to mess up or have messed up.” Gibbs paused. “I am grateful for that, as much as it pisses me off sometimes. You probably won’t believe this, but you remind me a lot of me before Shannon and Kelly died.”

Tory stared at Gibbs, shocked, but he didn’t say anything,

“I always imagined if I had a son, he would be a lot like you.” Gibbs paused, he wiped his eyes. “I had always wanted a son. If Shannon had lived, we would have kept trying until we got one. Then I realized I had my son. There didn’t have to be any biology involved, just how I felt about him. That was all that mattered. The fact that I didn’t meet him until later in life and that he is Italian and has green eyes and looks absolutely nothing like me is irrelevant.”

Gibbs stopped speaking and Tony realized what Gibbs was saying, Tony just stared at Gibbs as tears formed in the corners of his eyes and streamed down the sides of his face. Gibbs wiped the tears away with his hands. “It made me angry to see you hurt. It killed me so see you bleeding and I was angry I couldn’t help you. Then when you started having convulsions, it was like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it.”

Tony started to open his mouth, but Gibbs stopped him.

“You need to save your voice.” Gibbs commanded. “I know I don’t normally say this much, at one time, ever. But, I needed to say it. I know I don’t normally do touchy feely, but having 3 ex-wives has caused me to rethink that a little bit. Maybe if I had, I would have one less ex or two.”

Tony started so speak again, but again Gibbs stopped him.

“I do love you, Tony.” Gibbs paused. “It would never put up with your antics from anyone else. I would never let Abby, Tim, or Ziva come into my home and live for weeks, months at a time. But I let you. I would never let anyone else get in my face and challenge my decisions. I need that from you though, Tony. You keep me on my toes. I need somebody is my life that will do that for me.”

Tony smiled and nodded, tears forming at the comers of his eyes. “Means...a lot.”

“Just don’t get used to it, DiNozzo. I don’t anticipate having this conversation with you ever again.” Gibbs said, sitting back down in his chair.

“Thanks...Dad.” Tony said, closing his eyes and drifting back off to sleep.