- Text Size +
Tim was still keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings. He visually scanned the area repeatedly, looking for signs of the shooter and waiting for Gibbs and Ziva to return. He knelt down beside Tony, concerned as more blood flowed down Tony’s cheek.

“Tim.” Tony said touching Tim’s hand.

Tony’s use of his first name terrified McGee. It made his blood run cold. Tim looked down at Tony, sparing only a glance. He still needed to patrol their surroundings.

“Tim, it’s…been….” Tony spoke haltingly, squeezing Tim’s hand. Tony groaned loudly as more blood cascaded down his cheek

Tim shook his head vehemently. “No Tony! No!” McGee squeezed back. “This is NOT goodbye. Do you hear me? You are not going to die today. And this is not Gibbs talking. It’s not your time.” He felt tears come into his eyes and made no effort to wipe them away.

Ducky and Palmer looked at Tim sympathetically when they saw what Tim was going through.

Tony began to choke on the blood that was now blocking his windpipe. His eyes slide closed as his whole body arched. He had gone into convulsions, his body fighting for air.

Gibbs and Ziva returned in time to see the last seconds of Tony’s convulsions. Though the whole episode lasted only about a minute, it was extremely painful and disturbing to watch.

Ducky turned Tony’s now limp body onto its side. He rubbed Tony’s back as the blood flowed from Tony’s partially open mouth. Palmer resumed his job of applying pressure to the wound. Tony had not started to breathe again. Ducky struck him hard on the back. Gibbs thought hard enough to do some real damage. The first blow did nothing. The second blow initiated a swift, though painful, intake of air.

Gibbs backed away from Tony. He wanted to go back into the woods and drag someone anyone out and make them pay for what they had done to Tony. As angry as he was, he was more hurt. Upset his senior agent, his friend was injured, and upset that he had had to watch Tony’s seizure. He was not prepared to watch Tony die. He knew there were risks with the job. He knew he would have friends in the job. He knew he would get close to people. He knew he would hate to see them die in the line of duty. He had never and could never have anticipated Anthony DiNozzo. It was not possible. Tony had been a force of nature.

He had first met a cocky, smart-ass kid. This was the exact type of person Gibbs would have sent on his way quickly when he became team leader at NCIS. He had, in fact, sent many ‘DiNozzo-type smart asses’ on their merry way. But Tony was different. That was a deep person beneath all that smart-ass. Gibbs quickly decided that that person was someone he would like to get to know. The fact that Tony was not afraid of him and keep him in line had been an extra added bonus. Gibbs always found that amusing. When there were so many people, Gibbs knew, were afraid of him at NCIS. Tony hadn’t so much as flinched, when others, he knew, would have ran away crying.

Tony lay still for a few moments. When he felt he could speak he put one bloodied hand on top of Jimmy’s as Jimmy applied pressure to his wound. “Thanks Jimmy. Your advice ….”

“You are going to be around for years to get my advice. I was very appreciative and honored you asked. I was glad to help.” Jimmy said, not letting up pressure. He could tell his eyes were wet, but he hoped Tony didn’t notice.

Tony nodded and closed his eyes to rest. Gibbs knelt down opposite Ducky and helped ease Tony back onto his back, while Ducky also kept a watchful eye on Tony’s airway. “ETA on the ambulance.”

Palmer spoke up looking at his watch. “Actually, they should have….”

“What!?” Gibbs said fuming, looking around for any trace of the ambulance and listening for the siren. “McGee, get them on the line and tell them to hurry! Now!”