- Text Size +
Watching Gibbs leave both Tim and Ziva could not help but let their eyes rest on Tony’s very empty desk for a moment.

“Our Marine was shot in the chest. Death was likely instantaneous. It turned his aorta into Swiss cheese.” Ducky said, pulling back the skin so that Gibbs could see the remains of the blood vessel. “Abby has the bullet.” Ducky moved away from the table he took his gloves off and washed his hands.

Gibbs turned to leave and was almost out the door before Ducky spoke. “Jethro.”

Gibbs turned around and stood still for a moment, waiting for Ducky to speak. When he didn’t, Gibbs walked back over to his friend. It was only then that he saw the turmoil on Ducky’s face.

“Ducky?” Gibbs said, standing directly in front of his dear old friend.

Ducky shook his head. “Anthony….”

Gibbs felt himself panic at the mention of his senior field agent’s name, given Ducky’s current behavior. “What, Ducky? What about Tony?”

“Anthony knew how badly he was injured out there in the field. He said he was in bad shape and that he was in a lot of pain.”

Gibbs stood expressionless.

Ducky, seeing that Gibbs didn’t grasp what he was really saying, continued. “Tony said goodbye, Jethro.”

Ducky paused and waited for the Gibbs to wrap his mind around what he had said.

“He tried to say goodbye, I should say. I wouldn’t let him finish. He spoke to all of us. None of us would allow him finish.” Ducky turned his gaze to the floor. He didn’t want Gibbs to see the tears in his eyes. Ducky quickly and he hoped, inconspicuously, wiped his eyes. “But, Jethro, as bad as that was. It was as if Tony had accepted it. He had made his peace.”

“If that is the case… “Gibbs said, turning to leave. He had to get to the hospital.

“...he may not come back.” Ducky finished Gibbs’ thought as Gibbs left autopsy, heading for the elevator.

The elevator doors closed and Gibbs flipped the switch. He sunk down to the floor of the elevator and put his head in his hands. Tears streamed down his face at the thought of losing Tony. He had not hurt this much since Shannon and Kelly died. He sat on the floor for several minutes, his body shaking as he sobbed. He beat his fists against the floor and walls of the elevator in anger and sorrow. It took several more minutes for him to compose himself, for him to stop shaking and his tears to stop. He stood up and wiped his eyes. He waited for several more minutes until the redness disappeared from his face, for the most part. As badly as he wanted to get to the hospital, it would have to wait. He had to see if his team had come up with any answers, then to MTAC at the director’s request.

TBC