- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate tells Abby
Abby was already sitting at their usual table when Kate arrived.
"I'm sorry I'm late. Have you been waiting long?" she said as she gave Abby a quick hug.
"No, I only got here five minutes ago. Everything ok?" she asked.
"Yeah, why wouldnt it be?" she answered happily.
"You just seem to be...glowing" Abby told her. Kate smile widened and she grabbed a menu.
"Lets order, I'm starving". They quickly order lunch and drinks. When the waitress left Abby didnt waste anytime.
"Ok so what's up with you?" she asked.
"I have some news, but you have to promise not to make a big deal of it ok?" Kate warned. Abby just nodded. Kate sat up straighter in her seat.
"I'm pregnant" she said. Abby gasped and then let out a squeal.
"Oh my god, oh my god" she said in a hushed voice. Kate couldnt stop smiling.
"How long? When did you find out? Why didnt Gibbs tell me?" she asked all at once. Kate laughed before she started to answer her questions.
"I havent been to the doctor yet but we think around five weeks. I found out on Wednesday and Jethro didnt tell you becasue I wanted to be the one to tell you. He told Ducky and I have told my sister" she asnwered. The waitress returned with their drinks and disappeared into the cafe again.
"This is so exciting. What are you doing about work?" Abby asked taking a sip of her ice tea.
"Well I've been demoted to desk jokey and I am going to work until I go on maternity leave".
"Good. So what do you hope for, a girl or boy?".
"Abby whatever we have is ok with me" Kate answered with a laugh.
"Oh come on, you must secretly want one more then the other" Abby pushed. Kate sighed.
"Ok. When I was younger I always wanted a girl. So I could braid her hair and buy her pretty little dresses. Growing up with three older brothers also didnt help" she laughed.
"And what about Gibbs?" she asked.
"Well we havent talked about it, but I get the feeling he wants a son. You know so he can take him sailing and fishing, if he ever gets that boat finished" they both laughed. Their meals were brought out and they continued their discussion.
"So are you going to have two children? So you both can have what you want?" Abby asked. Kate laughed.
"I think one is enough, and you can never be to sure what you're going to get. Sort of like a lucky dip" Kate explained happily.
"And what happens if you're egg decides to divide?" Abby says as she takes a bit of her vegie wrap.
"Well, then we're in alot of trouble" she replied.
"Have you thought of any names yet?" Abby kept asking.
"Abby, we have known for three days. We havent even told my parents, let alone discuss baby names" she said with a laugh.
"Oh right. So how you going to tell them? They know you guys are together dont they?". Kate poked what was left of her salad.
"Yes they know and are very happy for me, but telling them we are having a baby only one year into our relationship is going to be hard and thats why we have decided to tell them in person".
"When are you doing that?" Abby asked.
"In a couple of weeks. We have to do it before I start getting my baby bump" Kate said with a laugh as she patted her still flat stomach. Abby laughed.
"Are you worried about packing on the kilos?" Abby asked Kate. Kate shook her head.
"Not really. I mean if I keep doing what I'm doing it shouldnt be that much. Plus its all part of the experience isnt it" she smiled.
"I'm so happy for you two. So whens the babby shower?".