- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Probie settles into Casa Gibbs.
Chapter 2

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride, and allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Gibbs drove back to his place with Probie in tow and Tony following behind. They agreed as they rode the elevator down to the garage that Gibbs should drop off his Challenger first. There wasn’t any point in driving two cars to go pick up the essentials for a dog.

The temperature had warmed up considerably from the morning, and it was now hanging at a balmy 80 degrees. With a case-free weekend ahead, both men were in good enough moods to simply sit back and enjoy the nice weather now that they were off the clock. Tony drove at a leisurely pace, and surprisingly, Gibbs didn’t complain even once about it being too leisure.

This is nice, Tony thought to himself as he stopped at a red, his fingers tapping the steering wheel unconsciously to the music from the stereo. He rolled down both of the front windows to let the fresh air in, and cracked the back just large enough for Probie to stick his head and tongue out.

Gibbs turned to look at Tony, who had started to hum to the music. Gibbs had always known that the younger man had a nice voice - it sounded like liquid silk - but he didn’t know how well Tony could sing. He wondered if Tony had ever taken classes and performed in public. Or in other, more private capacities, his wandering mind thought briefly but he quickly dismissed it.

A light breeze blew through the open window as Tony resumed their course, making him smile, and Gibbs’ breath hitched at the sight. The smile was a relaxed, happy one that he rarely saw at work and had always secretly treasured. He couldn’t help losing himself in the warm, open expression on Tony’s face.

“So, what do we need to get?” the question almost went unheard by Gibbs as he became entranced by Tony’s high spirit.

“What we need?” Gibbs absentmindedly parroted the question.

Tony let out a small chuckle and it was music to Gibbs’ ears. “You know, for the dog? Boss, I know we’ve had a rough week and we’re both tired, but you might want to wait ‘til we get back to your place before you pass out on me. There is no way I’d be able to lug you back into the house on my own.”

“Tony, we’re off the clock. Don’t call me Boss,” Gibbs answered with a smirk. “And no, I wasn’t tired. Just resting my eyes.”

“Hey! That’s my line!” Tony laughed. “Fine, Gibbs…”

“My friends call me Jethro,” Gibbs interrupted him, smirk widened into an easy smile.

Tony seemed to startle slightly at that. “Okay, Jethro, what’s Probie here gonna need? Haven’t exactly had a pet before, so any suggestion is welcome,” Tony took a right to get off the main street, pulling into a mall parking lot. There was a flash of something that looked like a mixture of longing, regret and sadness on his face that quickly disappeared before Gibbs could analyze it. “It’s funny how he took an instant liking to me. That’s never happened to me before.”

That’s because you’re likable. Gibbs had those words at the tip of his tongue, but decided not to risk making the moment awkward. He couldn’t help wondering why Tony would find it surprising that Probie would like him. It both irritated and saddened him.

“Well, I could probably build a kennel myself, but I don’t mind just letting him in the house. I’d say let’s start with the grooming supplies, some food, a collar and leash, and maybe a dog bed for him to sleep in when he’s indoors,” Gibbs replied after giving it a thought. “We’ll have to take him to a proper vet to get checked out. As much as I trust Palmer when it comes to dead bodies, he’s not a fully qualified vet.”

“Well, Abby gave me the number for a friend of hers whose practice is pretty close to your place. Same vet McGee’s got so I assume it’s okay,” Tony said as they walked into the PetSmart with Probie following briskly at their heel. “I called the vet’s office before we left work, and the receptionist said that they had a cancellation so we can bring him by tomorrow.”

“Sounds good,” Gibbs agreed. “Let’s go find a collar and a leash first. Probie might listen to me at the Yard, but you never know if he’s gonna go crazy when he sees another dog.”

---

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Neither man were big on shopping, so half an hour later found all three of them back in the car and ready to head home with all of the essentials a dog would need. Probie was sporting a new collar - black with little bats, Abby would be proud - adorned with his tags and registration. He was entirely too excited to be back in a moving vehicle, sticking his head out the window, his long tongue waving in the wind as they drove and his bushy tail wagging like it’s nobody’s business.

“I think I know why he likes you,” Gibbs was watching Probie’s puppy antics and he couldn’t resist teasing Tony. “He must’ve recognized his own kind.”

“You’re comparing me to him? Seriously?” Tony yelped indignantly at Gibbs’ teasing. “Plus, he liked you too! What do you say to that?”

“No, he listens to and obeys me, there’s a difference. Right, Probie?” Gibbs turned in his seat to pat Probie on the head, and the dog barked happily in reply.

“You little traitor! Hey stop that, you’re blocking my view,” Tony smacked Gibbs lightly on the arm before he sobered up and realized what he’d done. “Oh shit! I’m sorry, Boss! I didn’t mean to hit… I mean, I do that with my frat brothers all the time so it’s like a habit…”

“Hey! It’s okay!” Gibbs grabbed hold of Tony’s flailing right arm, calming him down. “What did I say about being off the clock?”

“Uh, don’t call you Boss?”

“And?” Gibbs quirked an eyebrow.

“Friends. Jethro. Right. Gotcha.”

“Good. Now that that’s out of the way, what do you say we go grab that pizza and head back to my place? I’m sure there is a movie or something on that we could watch while we eat,” Gibbs pulled out his cell phone when they stopped at a set of lights. “Pepperoni, sausage and extra cheese?”

“Hey, you remembered,” Tony beamed, batting his eyes like he was Betty Boop. The subsequent head slap was really not unexpected.

Probie perked up at the mention of food, and let out a loud bark as if he wanted in on the whole pizza thing.

“Sorry bud, you can’t have that,” Tony looked at the dog through the rear-view mirror. “Kibbles-only for you.”

Probie slumped down at that, and started whining as he placed his paws on his nose. Tony and Gibbs shared a look, and both started chuckling.

“Ok. Kibbles plus a can, that better?” Gibbs grinned.

“Now you’re just being mean,” Tony laughed out right when Probie whined even louder at Gibbs’ comment.

Gibbs couldn’t remember the last time he was this at ease, simply enjoying spending time with another person. None of his ex-wives had this kind of connections with him. Fornell, well they’d always been strictly business, except for sharing an ex-wife. Ducky came close, but both of them had been through so much in their own lives that it was sometimes hard to ignore the demons that haunted them. With Tony, it just felt so effortless, and it made him regret not befriending the younger man outside of work sooner. It felt like what he’d had with Shannon, and maybe that similarity in their demeanor was what attracted him to the younger man in the first place.

When they got back to Gibbs’ place, Tony set out to get food ready for Probie, while Gibbs put the rest of their purchases away. The dog eagerly devoured the chow, even though Abby had fed the poor pup plenty of kibbles earlier at her lab.

“Whoa, slow down there, Probie,” Tony had to laugh when he walk back to Probie’s food bowl with a dish of water. “No one’s going to fight you for the food buddy.”

“See I told ya. The two of you are two of a kind. Probie even eats like you,” Gibbs just couldn’t help himself with the teasing as he walked back into the kitchen.

“I do not eat like that!” Tony pouted as he looked up at Gibbs from where he squatted on the floor, looking entirely too adorable for a man his age.

“Right, like the sun doesn’t rise from the east,” Gibbs scoffed light-heartedly as he crouch down to pat Probie, who gave his hand a good lick before going back to attack his mountain of kibbles.

“Okay, fine. But I don’t dribble all over like that.”

“If you do I’d kick you off the dining table,” Gibbs grinned as he got up to wash his hands before getting plates for their pizza. “Come on, leave the dog alone. Grab the beers and go see what’s on the tube.”

“Aye, aye, Capt’n.”

Dinner was an easy affair.

They found the Godfather marathon playing on one of those classic movie channels so they settled down to watch.

What’s the matter with you?” Tony just couldn’t resist doing the Don Corleone impressions. He literally recited the dialogue of that entire scene, and could probably do it for the whole movie too. Gibbs had to head slap him to make him stop talking so Gibbs could concentrate on the movies - until Tony found another favourite scene or quote that was. The pizza was washed down with a couple of ice-cold beers each, and before long, they were both sprawled out on the couch, too full to move.

“That was some really good pizza,” Tony sighed, patting his own stomach. “What was the place called? Joe’s? I need to go back there again some time.”

“Yeah,” Gibbs smiled as he turned to look at Tony. “Joe’s good people. Used to be a Marine, too. Said he got the recipe from his dad a long time ago, decided to open up a shop after he retired from the Corps.”

“Cool.”

Probie wandered into the living room and began nudging his big head at Tony’s legs before resting it on Tony’s lap. Tony nudged back with his socked feet, scratching Probie’s stomach lightly.

“Think it’s time we take the big guy for a walk,” Gibbs got up to collect the dishes and place them in a pile in the sink. “You coming?”

“I don’t think I have a choice,” Tony chuckled at Probie’s attempt in dragging him by his pant leg after hearing the word ‘walk’. “I could use a walk though. To help with the digestion.”

“Come here, boy,” Gibbs grabbed the leash that he’d left by the door, and hooked it onto Probie’s collar. He waited for Tony to start putting on his jacket before opening the door. Tony shivered slightly as a cool draft blew in the door; the sun was just about to set and it had gotten quite a bit chillier than it was earlier that evening.

“You warm enough?” Gibbs eyed Tony’s outfit with suspicion. With all the traveling they had to do that week, Tony had opted for more casual choices from his wardrobe - a pair of jeans with a long sleeve t-shirt, and a light spring jacket to top it off. It was fine when they were working because they were either indoors or driving, but it didn’t look like it was warm enough for a walk in the brisk evening air.

“It’s a bit chilly, but I should be ok,” Tony answered unconvincingly, and that had Gibbs frowning. Even though the plague had been years ago, getting sick still carried a risk for Tony.

“Here, hold this,” Gibbs passed the leash to Tony and ran upstairs two at a time. He came back down a couple of minutes later with an old USMC hoodie, and handed it to Tony with a shy smile. “Not the best choices fashion-wise, but should keep you toasty.”

“Aww, Boss, didn’t know you cared!” Tony grinned as he shrugged off his jacket and pulled the hoodie on before donning the jacket again. Probie was turning in circles around the two of them happily. “And for your information, I do prefer warmth over fashion. Most of the time.”

Gibbs had to snort at that. “Whatever you say, Valentino,” he reached out a hand to ruffle Tony’s hair jokingly, but ended up reveling in the feel of soft strands through his fingers as he withdrew his hand. He was surprised to find Tony leaning slightly into his touch. Maybe his affection for the younger agent wasn’t as one-way as he thought?

“Alright, let’s go,” Gibbs reopened the door after putting his own jacket on, and held it for the other two.

---

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
This is written in response to rose_malmaison’s ‘If a dog was the teacher’ fic challenge :)

Originally, I wanted to write a series of drabbles, but I forgot that you shouldn’t feed plot bunnies after midnight… *facepalm*

Thanks to silvertales for the speedy beta!