- Text Size +
Chapter 13

Tony should have left earlier. He knew he should have left earlier. The traffic was snarled going into the high school for the graduation. And it was only 11 a.m., the actual graduation didn't start until 1 p.m.

Olivia had asked him to come early. There were pictures to be taken and Tony was glad they had decided to do it before the event. In this June heat, he would probably be sweated through his suit by the time the ceremony was over. He found a place to park and hurried to the gym. He stepped inside and took a deep breath, thankful that the AC had been cranked up. It was actually freezing. He buttoned his jacket up again and looked out over the sea of gowned seniors, in search of his daughter. He spotted her easily enough. She was easily the tallest girl in her class and was standing with a small group of girls as he approached. Olivia looked up when she saw him.

"Hi, Dad." Olivia blushed as her friends giggled.

"Hey, Baby Girl." Tony said, smiling. He nodded to the other girls, who now seemed to take an interest in him.

"Dad, these are my friends. "I…they were all eager to meet you, especially after seeing your picture." Olivia explained.

As if on cue, the girls all moved off and formed other small groups. He and Olivia had only a moment alone together before they were again surrounded by people. This time, Olivia's other family.

Tony had been over to the Martin's house on two separate occasions. The first time had been a little awkward. Tony and Jeremy had hit it off immediately though. Tony had helped him with his jumpshots and free-throws. He had endeared himself to Crystal by promising he would teach her and Olivia how to make pasta, one of Crystal's favorite dishes. Jacob and Tony had talked about college football, sharing gridiron feats and injuries and formed a common bond.

The second time at the Martin's, Tony, Olivia and Crystal ended up cooking dinner for the family. Tony taught the girls how to make pasta and sauce. Crystal learned homemade sauce was 10 times better than bought and told Sallie she would MAKE their sauce from then on. Olivia got to spend some quality time with her DaddyT. She also learned how hard it is to clean up flour. The food fight she had started with Tony and her sister had caused a fine layer of it to coat every surface in her mother's kitchen. And even though Tony had offered to help her clean up, he himself covered head to toe and looking like a powdered doughnut, Sallie had declined his offer and set her two daughters to the task.

Sallie could not help but laugh as she watched Tony go outside into her backyard and furiously try to brush the fine particles off his clothes and out of his hair. When he felt he had done a decent job he came back inside.

"I'm sorry for…." Tony started.

Sallie just shook her head, grinning. "This is the first time I have seen Olivia really happy, really enjoying herself in a long time. Things are so stressful for her now. She…she had so much to do to finish out her senior year. She wants to spend time with us, and with you, before she goes off to college. She has a lot on her plate. It's nice to see her really having fun again."

"Still, I should help." Tony offered.

Sallie shook her head as she led him into the living room. "Just you agreeing to come here, to want to meet Jacob and Jeremy and Crystal, to be a part of their lives. It means a great deal to her. She was so happy when you agreed. She got so excited. She has been looking forward to this. She…She came home in tears, she was so happy you had agreed to come. It means the world to her. It really, really does. She wants so much for us all to get along, especially you and Jacob."

Tony flashed back to the present. He looked at his daughter. He was so proud of her. She was going to be in college in a few months. She would be a long way from home, a long way from him and from her other family. But he knew she would do just fine.

"I am so proud of you." Tony said as he kissed the top of her head.

Olivia leaned into him in response and then posed as Sallie took the picture.


TBC