- Text Size +
Chapter 15

"Things have been crazy here." Abby said as she waited for her babies to produce results. "I haven't had time to ask, how was graduation?"

Tony smiled. "When I walked it I found her immediately. She was the tallest girl there. She introduced me to some of her friends. I heard them talking later, about how cute Olivia's dad is. It was nice, and weird, all at the same time."

Abby just smiled at Tony.

"What?" Tony asked.

"You...you're a good dad." Abby said hugging him. "You seem...more grounded, calmer."

Tony stared at her. "That's what Ziva said. Did you two compare notes or something?"

Abby shook her head. "I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed."

Tony nodded. "Anyway, they, Olivia's friends, all wanted to take pictures with me. It was kind of cute, so I did. We, just me and her other family, went out to eat at one of Olivia's favorite restaurants. Then she and some of her friends were going to a concert or a movie or something, maybe both."

"So, you had a good time."

"I had a great time. My daughter is now, officially, an adult." Tony stated. "It's a little scary."

"Yeah, especially when her dad is not 'officially an adult.'" Abby said, grinning at him.

"Hey!" Tony replied, pretending to take offense.

"So, the camping trip...?" Abby asked.

"That was...interesting." Tony said as he began to look at the evidence Abby had laid out on her table.

"What's interesting?" Gibbs asked as he walked into the lab, followed by Ziva and Tim.

"How was it interesting?" Tim asked. He was smiling. They all had heard Tony mention the camping trip.

"We ended up in adjoining rooms ordering room service and pizza." Tony explained.

Ziva spoke up then. "I am not sure how camping is done in this country. But we do not 'camp' in hotels in Israel."

"We don't here either, Zee-va." Tony said, annoyed.

"So...?" Gibbs asked, smiling. He could already tell this was going to be good.

"I...." Tony started.

Abby heard a beep and turned, thinking her babies were giving her results. It was her email. She had a message. She opened the message. She chuckled as she read it. Then she clicked on the first picture. She put it up on her plasma screen. It was a picture of Tony, sitting on the creek bank, soaked to the bone, wringing the water out of his t-shirt. Everybody looked at it for just a second before they all burst into laughter.

Tony just stood shaking his head. "How...when did you two exchange emails?" He asked Abby.

It took her a moment or two to stop laughing long enough to answer him. "I told her I would email the DNA results to her mom and dad if she wanted me too. She agreed and then, of course, when I sent the results, she had my address."

Tony looked from his friends to the plasma screen and back to his friends, whose laughter had finally subsided. He shook his head. "I didn't even know she had a camera. And I don't' remember her taking that picture. I really, really need to speak to my daughter about this." Tony paused. "We went fishing...."

"You do realize it is the fish that are supposed to be wet, not the fisherman." Tim said, still chuckling.

"Yes, Timmy," Tony said, snidely. 'I know that."

"Oh, look..." Abby said, thoroughly enjoying the moment. "...more pictures."

Tony tried to block Abby's access to the keyboard, but she got around him and clicked on the next link. The first picture was replaced by a second showing a very annoyed Tony sitting on a log rubbing a lot of white goop on his red, scratched legs.

Laughter erupted again, thought it did not last as long as it had with the first picture.

"This one may require an explanation." Ziva said, smiling.

"Fine..." Tony said, through clinched teeth. "...never go hiking in shorts."

"You really were a 'fish out of water. Pun intended." Ziva smiled, looking at Tony.

Tony glared back.

"HA! I got that one correct, yes?" Ziva replied.

Tony nodded, reluctantly.

"Any more pictures, Abby? McGee asked.

Tony shook his head. "No. I know the Boss didn't come down here to see these pictures." He said, trying desperately to change the subject.

Gibbs smiled at Tony. "No." He shoke his head. "But we have a few minutes. Gibbs said, much to Tony's chagrin. "Abby doesn't have any results yet."

Tony then turned his pleading gaze to Abby. It didn't work.

"I see a link for one more picture." And this one was priceless. It was one taken in the tent. It was right after the tent collapsed and he and Olivia started laughing hysterically, seeing each other looking like drowned rats. Plus seeing the water standing inside the tent and their sleeping bags.

"Yeah, DiNozzo." Gibbs managed to say after he and the others stopped laughing. Even Tony had to laugh at that one. "Interesting camping trip."

"Now you HAVE to fill us in on the details." Tim stated.

"Evidence. The case." Tony said, trying to change the subject again.

"We've got time." Gibbs repeated, shaking his head.

"You..." Tony said to Gibbs. "...are enjoying this far too much."

Gibbs just smiled and nodded in return.

Tony sighed. "Ok. First of all, I'm not used to fishing from land. Dad and I always fished from a boat." Tony paused. "So, I decided to go out a little further into the stream, where the water was a little deeper. The first time I slipped, I just got my shoes wet. The second time...."

Laughter erupted again.

"Then we decided to go hiking, never been hiking in my life." Tony paused. "I wore shorts and tennis shoes."

Laugher erupted again at the inappropriate clothing worn. It explained the white goop also.

"So, after all that, we decided to hit the rack early. There was a small hole in the tent, Olivia had forgotten about. We had borrowed the tent from Jacob. Anyway, the small hole became a large tear when it started raining during the night and water accumulated on it."

"Wait..." Tim started.

"I put up the tent." Tony replied.

Tim nodded and there was another chuckle through the room. That explained it.

"I woke up to water dripping in my face." Tony continued. "Olivia heard me moving around and woke up. Anyway, I looked up and...." Tony paused. "...a campsite has never been evacuated so fast in the history of camping."

They all chucked.

The moment was interrupted by the beeps of various machines. The results were ready. Abby took the time to go over her findings with the team.

Their business in the lab concluded, the team began to leave. Abby grabbed Tony's arm. "I...I had no idea, Tony. I'm sure Olivia didn't want you to be embarrassed by those pictures. I'm sorry, I should have waited and opened my email in private." Abby paused. "I would never want to embarrass you."

Tony shook his head. "It's OK. Olivia asked me if she could send them to you. She thought you would get a kick out of them. I...I told her it was OK. I had seen them, already."

"Tony!"

"What? You can have fun with me, but I can't have fun with you?" Tony asked. "I loved them. I am glad everybody got to see them. They were so funny. Olivia has such a good eye for capturing 'the moment.'" Tony explained.

Abby still looked doubtful.

"It's OK." Tony said. He put his arms around her and kissed her cheek. "I love you."

Abby just stared at him for a moment. "You've never told me that before."

"I've got a daughter." Tony explained. "Maybe I'm finally growing up."

"Yeah, it's only taken...years."

"Many years." Tony agreed.

"I love you, too." Abby said. "And thank you. None of us has told you so. But it means so much that you're willing to share Olivia with us. She...We know how much she means to you. It says a lot for you to share something, someone so personal with us."

"I just want ALL of my family to get along." Tony said.

TBC