- Text Size +
Chapter 16

Gibbs knew the footsteps of most everyone who visited him, but these were different. Gibbs looked up the basement door in anticipation of this new visitor.

He smiled as soon as he saw her appear at the top of the stairs. "Well, Ms. DiNozzo, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

Olivia hesitated before answering. She looked around. It was just as Tony had described it. A huge basement with an equally big unfinished boat sitting in the center of it. She hadn't been sure it was okay that she was here. She had liked Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs from the first moment she had met him. But liking someone, and showing up at their house, unannounced, were two TOTALLY different things.

"I...I hope it's okay..." Olivia started. She came down the stairs to where Tony usually sat and settled onto the steps.

Gibbs started before she could finish. "Of course, you're Tony's daughter." He then smiled at Olivia's unconscious choice of stair step to sit on.

"You don't know me." Olivia said, not understanding Gibb's statement.

"I know your father. I know you have been good, great...in fact, for him. He's...he's a different man." Gibbs paused when he saw the concern on Olivia's face. "He's a lot calmer, Olivia, more settled. He's totally taken to being a father, and he is completely smitten with you."

Olivia smiled. "I had no idea it would be like this. I...I wanted him to accept me. I wanted to be able to get to know him. But...this was SO much more than I had expected. It has been an interesting, crazy, few months."

A comfortable silence followed as Gibbs returned to his sanding and Olivia watched. It was several minutes before anyone spoke again.

Gibbs looked over at her from where he stood. "You didn't come all the way here to see my basement boat or to watch me sand." Gibbs stated.

Olivia started. "I feel comfortable with you, it's strange. I have felt that way, immediately, with very few people. I...."

Gibbs nodded. "It's a gift you share with your father. You are both very perceptive people. His ability has helped him a lot in his job." Gibbs explained. "The ability to get an automatic read on people is invaluable in our profession."

Olivia nodded.

Gibbs sighed. "OK, Olivia." He repeated. "I know you didn't come here to see my boat or to watch me sand."

"I...I don't know how to ask this." Olivia said, struggling to put her thought into words. "There are things about dad I don't know." Olivia paused. "I don't mean anything bad, or anything like that. There are just things...."

Olivia feel silent again, trying to organize her thoughts. She studied her hands.

Gibbs waited for her, knowing whatever she was about to ask her must be troubling her greatly to come to him and NOT talk to Tony.

"There are things he hasn't told me." Olivia said. "Things about family...."

"Have you asked?"

Olivia shook her head. "That's the problem. I don't know if I can. I know he and his dad don't have a good relationship. I know he mother died when he was a kid. A few weeks back his dad sent him all these pictures of himself, his family. He sat with me and we went through them." Olivia explained. "It took hours, but I loved it. It was a lot of fun to find out about him. He...but it seemed that whenever there were pictures of his parents, he just...he gave the abbreviated version. I...I could just tell that there was more he wanted, or he could tell me, but he didn't. And I don't understand why."

Gibbs didn't say anything, waiting for Olivia to continue.

"I don't want...I don't want to hurt him. That is the last thing I want to do. I don't want to bring up painful memories for him. And I don't want him to think I am going behind his back, talking to you." Olivia sighed. "I came to you because I know dad is more than just a team member to you. I know you care a great deal for him. And, because of that, I'm sure you know, at least, some of the things I want to know about here."

Gibbs nodded.

"I just need to know." Olivia paused. "What do I do now? Where do I go from here?"

"Why do you need to know now? Why all the sudden?"

Olivia shook her head. "Actually it's not all the sudden. I just...I am going to be 7 hours away from him in another month. I will be in college. I will be busy with classes, and I doubt I will be coming home a lot. I just...I want to get this resolved, taken care of now, while I'm here, while I'm home, while I can still talk to him face to face. I don't want to do this while I'm away at college. I don't want him to think I waited so I could be sneaky and investigate him or something. I want him to know I...that everything I am doing is not being done behind his back and it is not being done to hurt him."

"He knows you're here then?" Gibbs asked, guarded.

Olivia nodded. "I told him I wanted to come by and see your basement boat after he told me about it. He didn't know when, and he didn't know what we might discuss, for sure. But I am sure he knew this subject could, possibly, come up."

"You're right, Olivia." Gibbs admitted. "I probably do know a lot of the kind of stuff you want to know." Gibbs paused. "But, I'm not comfortable with this."

Olivia nodded. "I understand. I really do. I... I don't want this information like somebody would who just wants dirt on the family or juicy gossip. I...I'm getting to know my dad. I want to know his family too, or at least ABOUT his family. He told me....I know he's worried about his dad meeting me. Said it wouldn't be a good idea...the out-of-wedlock thing. He didn't think...."

Gibbs nodded. She didn't have to finish her sentence.

"I will tell you this, it's fairly common knowledge. Tony has spent his whole life, trying to please his dad. It hasn't happened yet."

"That is so sad." Olivia said, shaking her head. "What is there not to be proud off?"

Gibbs nodded. "But, you can see where the out-of-wedlock thing might fit in there."

"How can parents NOT love their children?" Olivia asked. "Impose all those...conditions."

Gibbs shook his head. "I don't know." He paused. "You talk to Tony. I will, too. He says it's okay...I'll tell you whatever you want to know."

Olivia smiled and nodded. She stood up and turned to start back up the stairs.

"Oh, and Olivia...." Gibbs started.

Olivia turned and looked at him.

"The next time you come, I'm putting you to work." Gibbs said, holding up a piece of sandpaper.

Olivia smiled. "I look forward to it." She looked around the basement again. "How DO you get those boats out of here?"

Gibbs just shook his head and laughed.


TBC