- Text Size +
Chapter 17

The cookout had been Gibbs' idea. And justifiably, the rest of Team Gibbs had been a little confused, baffled, etc. That is, until Gibbs told them that he was inviting Olivia. After that, everybody had been eager to participate. They quickly volunteered to bring things and in no time Gibbs had a well-planned cookout on his hands.

Olivia's statement about leaving for college had gotten Gibbs thinking. He needed, wanted to get to know his granddaughter better. Plus, they had both spoken to Tony about Olivia's request. Tony had given Gibbs permission to tell Olivia all she wanted to know. And, thanks to those talks, Gibbs had gotten to spend some quality time with his granddaughter. He knew, too, that there was someone else who wanted to meet Olivia. This person was to be a surprise guest. No one even knew there was a surprise guest invited, except Gibbs. The guest would arrive a few hours before the cookout Friday night and stay until Monday morning.

Gibbs had picked a weekend his MCRT was not on-call. He had begun preparations earlier in the week. He dragged his old gas grill out of the garage and moved it to the back deck. Cleaning it proved to be a monumental task, taking up one entire evening after work. He bought all the meat, hamburgers and hotdogs. It took another evening to prepare that. He had also brought ingredients for a special hotdog chili that his special guest would prepare when he arrived.

Friday evening came and everyone was looking forward to the cookout. Everyone had had the same idea and had brought their contributions to the party to work, not wanted to waste time going back home, after work, to pick things up. As a result, one of the body trays in Ducky's autopsy fridge was loaded down with food and soda.

The workday ended and everyone descended on Gibbs' home, cookout contributions in hand. The team was met by amazing smells when they entered Gibbs' house.

Tony was the first to enter. The wonderful smell hit him first, then he noticed the visitor. "Jackson Gibbs…!" Tony said in surprise.

Tony put down the bags he had been carrying and gave the older man a huge hug. "It is so nice to see you."

"How does it feel…Dad?" Jack asked.

"Still getting used to it." Tony admitted. He looked around. "What? The boss man bring you in to cook? He got you cleaning the place too?"

Tony didn't have to turn around to see who delivered the head-slap.

"Hey!" Tony and Jack said in unison.

"None of that while I'm here." Jack warned Leroy.

"Tony, Dad is making his famous chili." Gibbs explained. "And Dad, Tony deserved it."

"Leave my grandson alone, Leroy." Jack warned.

Gibbs smiled and shook his head as they all made their way into the house. They each gave Jack a hug and said a few words after they had dropped their party contributions on the table and counters in the kitchen.

Tony waited until Gibbs' back was turned before he made a face.

"Jack can't protect you forever, DiNozzo. He's going home Monday morning." Gibbs stated.

Tony suddenly felt a strange sense of impending doom.

Tim and Jimmy helped Gibbs start the grill and get the burgers going. Abby and Ziva working in the kitchen cutting up the assorted veggies needed for the burgers and dogs. Tony helped Jack with his chili and Ducky, taking a seat at the kitchen table, regaled them all with stories from his exciting, colorful youth.

Olivia arrived just as the first burgers were being taken off the grill. Gibbs had planned on her arriving at that time. He had wanted her to just enjoy herself, to get a chance just to mingle.

"Hey, Baby Girl." Tony said. He was the first to greet Olivia. He drew her into a huge hug.

"Hi, Dad." Olivia said, hugging Tony back tightly.

She had been surprised when Gibbs had suggested a cookout. But she was really, really glad to have the opportunity to spend this time with her dad, and his friends, one last time before she headed off to college.

Tim, Ziva, Abby, Ducky, and Jimmy all greeted Olivia. Each hugged and spoke to her. They when went back to their assigned tasks.

"This is my great granddaughter, huh?" Jackson Gibbs asked Tony. He was smiling at Olivia.

Tony nodded. "Yes, she is."

"A beautiful girl, Tony. And she looks just like you." Jackson observed. "No denying that."

Tony nodded again.

"Olivia," Jackson started. "…it is very, very nice to meet you. I'm Jackson Gibbs, Leroy's dad." Jacks put out his hand and when Olivia took it he drew her into a hug.

"Leroy?" Olivia asked, recovering.

"The boss man." Tony clarified.

Olivia nodded. "Nice to meet you too, Grandpa…Great Grand... What exactly DO I call you?"

Jack thought for just a moment. "Grandpa Jack." Jack responded. "Yeah, I like that , Grandpa Jack."

Olivia smiled brightly and her eyes sparkled. "Nice to meet you…Grandpa Jack."

Jack nodded. "You go mingle. We'll talk later."

Soon all the food and drink was assembled on the deck and everyone began to eat.

Abby grabbed a chair beside Olivia and then rested her plate in her lap. She put her drink on the floor beside the chair. "You excited about college?"

"Very." Olivia said.

"What advice has Tony given you?" Abby asked.

"Not much. He did say that I should pledge though. He said he and his frat brothers are still really close." Olivia paused just as Tim and Ziva joined them. "Does he expect me to go to Harvard, too? I mean, that is a little more than intimidating."

Tim and Ziva sat stunned as Abby and Olivia continued their conversation. Abby reacted like she had already known about Harvard.

"Not to worry, Olivia." Abby reassured her. "Your mom's a college professor and your dad's a Harvard grad. You will have no problems."

Olivia sighed.

"Besides, you have a few more years to decide that. Tony would be honored if you went. But, I'm sure there's no pressure." Abby stated.

Olivia nodded. "My mom, and so far, Dad/Tony, has let me make my own decisions about things. It's just. I don't want to mess this up. I know I…I'm going to minor in music, just like Tony did." Olivia paused. "I definitely didn't get my voice or my other musical aptitudes from my mom."

"Tony can sing?" Ziva asked, stunned. The look on her face matched Tim's.

Both Abby and Olivia nodded.

"And play the piano and guitar." Abby added, a little smug about the knowledge she had that they did not.

Tony chose that moment to sit down near them. "You decided, minor in music?"

Olivia nodded.

"Music will be great. It's a great release from all that college stress. I loved doing something I enjoyed so much and getting graded on it." Tony stated.

"Looks like the major's pre-law, Dad." Olivia said smiling at him, mischief in her eyes.

Tony shook his head. "Don't like lawyers." Tony said looking at Olivia. "But I guess I could change my mind. At least about one lawyer, in particular."

TBC