- Text Size +
Chapter 21

Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. had been in the NCIS interrogation room for almost an hour. He was getting antsy and had already threatened, several times, to contact his lawyer. After the third time Vance, himself, went into interrogation and collected the phone. Senior again protested loudly.

Gibbs met up with Vance outside the door. Gibbs had been very reluctant to leave Tony, but he knew he was in Olivia's capable hands. He had been proud of her after Tony told him what had transpired between her and Senior. Gibbs had given her a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"DiNozzo?" Vance asked.

Gibbs nodded. "He's good. Olivia is with him."

Vance nodded and smiled. "He's fine, then. She really loves her dad."

Gibbs nodded.

"We need her here."

Gibbs shook his head. "Lawyer,…JAG, maybe."

"That would be good too. We need tough lawyers."

"Shall we?" Vance said, an evil grin on his face. He held the door open. "After you, Special Agent Gibbs."

"Thank you, Director Vance." Gibbs said, putting on a show for Senior.

"It's about time." Senior started to straighten his tie and stand up. "I have business…."

"Sit. Down." Vance said firmly, closing the door behind him.

"You cannot…." Senior started.

"You struck a federal officer." Gibbs stated.

"Junior is my son." Senior replied.

"Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo is a federal agent." Vance said. "An agent employed by NCIS. He is MY agent, under protection of NCIS and the United States Government. Striking a federal officer is a felony offense."

"He is my son." Senior repeated.

"Yes." Gibbs said, annoyed. "You had a son who grew up to be federal officer." Gibbs looked at Vance at this point. "Am I speaking code?"

Vance smiled. "Apparently." He replied smugly.

Senior looked from one man to the other. "He came into my office and attacked me."

Gibbs knew Senior was going to take this route. And he was ready. "You did nothing to provoke him?"

Senior shook his head.

Gibbs leaned across the table in the room, inches from Senior's face. "You did nothing to provoke him?" He asked again.

Senior again shook his head.

"You called his daughter a bastard." Gibbs stated. "If I had been in Tony's position I would have ripped your arm off and beat you with it." He straightened up again and backed off against the wall, trying to control his anger.

Vance shook his head in disbelief. He had not heard all the details. He could not imagine what he would do if he had a father like Senior. And calling his daughter a bastard…. The mere thought made him angry.

"She's my granddaughter." Senior stated. "And you cannot talk to me like that."

Vance shook his head again. "Which begs the question, why would a grandfather talk about his granddaughter like that?"

"That whelp…" Senior started. "…always causing…."

Gibbs motioned for the agent behind the glass to stop recording. "You use THAT word in reference to Tony, my agent, again and I will make you regret it."

Senior looked to Vance. "You heard him. He threatened me. You heard him." Senior repeated.

"I heard nothing." Vance said, shaking his head.

Senior nodded, and started to stand up again. "Yeah, all you…guys. You stick up for one another."

Vance put his hand on Senior's shoulder and pushed him back down. And Gibbs motioned for the agent on the other side of the two-way glass to start recording again.

"The fact remains, you struck a federal officer. You caused him serious injury." Vance restated the charges.

"He is fine. He's awake." Senior retorted.

"He is still in the hospital. He was unconscious for a day, a whole 24 hours." Gibbs said, surprised by Senior's gall.

"He is awake now though." Senior restated.

Gibbs shook his head. "That's it! I can't take him anymore."

Vance nodded. "Come and get him." Vance said to a pair of agents he had waiting in the observation room. "Let Mr. DiNozzo think about his assault and attempted murder charges while he sits in his jail cell."

The agents pulled Senior to his feet and he turned and looked at Vance and Gibbs as the agents lead him out of the room. "Assault! Attempted murder! Jail Cell!" Senior repeated stunned. "I am an important business man. You will hear from my lawyers."

Vance and Gibbs each took out their business cards. They each stuffed their card into one of the pockets of Senior's expensive suit.

"I look forward to it." Vance stated as he and Gibbs grinned at Senior's retreating back.

TBC